Start by marking “Partyservice für eine Tote (Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Partyservice für eine Tote (Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1)

Partyservice für eine Tote (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  15,171 Ratings  ·  648 Reviews
Catering a wake is not Goldy's idea of fun. Yet the Colorado caterer throws herself into preparing a savory feast including Poached Salmon and Strawberry Shortcake Buffet designed to soothe forty mourners. And her culinary efforts seem to be exactly what the doctor ordered...until her ex-father-in-law gynecologist Fritz Korman is struck down and Goldy is accused of adding ...more
Broschiert, 316 pages
Published 1999 by Econ Tb. (first published 1990)

Les
Jan 27, 2008 Les rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my guilty pleasures. I love light mysteries. I want to see a body in the first 20 pages, lots of clues in the middle, and the solution in the last 20 pages. I never try to figure it out. I just skim the surface, suspend disbelief (how many dead bodies is a caterer likely to find, really?), and enjoy the ride.
Sep 14, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobooks
Listened to the Recorded Books cassette edition. Now I've previously read this book several years ago and went on to read more in the series, but why sort of escapes me. I didn't like the people in this book. I found Goldy annoying and repetitive and Tom Schulz unprofessional, pushy, and patronizing. I might try the second one at least because I know I kept going with the series previously but if I don't like that one better then I'm gone. I think this may be just one example of the problem I ha ...more
Dorottya
Sep 14, 2015 Dorottya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book more - I mean, I am by no means an opposer of light literature and chick lit and light crime novels at all. It seemed to have a really interesting premise...

But...

The only redeeming qualities for me were the whodunnit kind of guessing game and that it was exciting. Other than that... ugh. I don't know if it was only the translation, but I felt it was badly written. Too many unnecessary details and filler sentences... and also, there were some sentences and struc
Angela
May 06, 2010 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so books like this are the reason I'm not a huge fan of commercial fiction. It was well written, had a nice marketable plot, and was cleverly done with the recipes in the middle and all--I mean, on those characteristics alone it seems like the perfect book, but I got kind of bored with it and fast.

We'll start with Goldie, the main character, who's a recovering love addict and has battled to put her life together after an abusive marriage. Doesn't that just sound like a wonderful thing to rea
Colleen
Apr 16, 2009 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was neat to "meet" all of the characters for the first time, as I have read many of other books from the series. Quick and fun read.
Rebecca McNutt
Jul 26, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This murder mystery is at times funny and at times very suspenseful. It's definitely an entertaining book and well worth reading.
Shelby  Bagby
Sep 12, 2015 Shelby Bagby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
reread
Tabby Kat
Catering to Nobody" is the first delectable book in this culinary mystery series full of crazy, different characters.
Lightly entertaining, and a good murder mystery Davidson's witty writing and clever clues combine with some yummy recipes along the way to solving this short, fun mystery.
Goldy is a former battered wife who has finally divorced her abusive doctor husband and strikes out to support herself and her pre-teen son by starting an upscale catering company.
Handsome police officer Tom Schu
Sherri F.
Audio: This is the 1st in the series, but the 3rd that I've read or listened to, and I still pretty much the same, it's just overall o.k. with some good moments, some installments have more than others. Of the 3, this is 2nd I listened to and both have same narrator who is just ok but something dull about the narrating--I don't know if it's voice, tone, lack of inflections or whatever, it's just tolerable. The plot and characters weren't too bad in this one, but glad because of how things turned ...more
Petula Darling
Feb 11, 2010 Petula Darling rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
I made it to the end, but I probably shouldn't have since bad books make me cranky.
The book should have been titled "Catering to Everybody: The Story of a Doormat in a Village of Idiots".
Nidofito
DNF @ 43%

I just can't work up the motivation to listen to an audiobook that has done nothing but frustrate me. I don't understand why a) the protagonist gets shit from everyone around her (particularly the men) - from her ex-husband, to her new LI, to the little 11 y/o shit she calls her son, b) or why the entire town is filled with idiots.

The writing seems odd and the protagonist is annoyingly repetitive and as subtle as a slap on the face with her 'interrogations.' It's also disappointing that
pianogal
I've never read cozy mysteries before, so I thought I'd give this one a try for a work project.
Eh. It wasn't bad, but it needed something. A little salt, maybe, if you will. You can tell it's the authors first book. I'm gonna try the next book and see if it gets better.

A lot people like Davidson, but I haven't figured it out yet...
Bethany Zimp
I think I would have loved this when it first came out: a murder mystery solved by a caterer, advocating against domestic violence. There are lots of things to enjoy about this (especially the recipes), but as with Sue Grafton's series I can't jump back in time and accept the use of pagers and landlines without hysterically laughing and yelling at the characters, as they are chased by the bad guy: "don't you wish you had a cell phone?"
Donna
Jun 29, 2015 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Goldy Bear is a great cook with mouth-watering recipes, but not so great a detective. I really didn't buy into her sleuthing, it just seemed so brash. Not a big fan of the writing either.

Bake some cookies and find something else to read.
Teri
May 02, 2011 Teri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2011
I will be riding on Vromans Bookstore's Mystery Bus to attend the LA Times Festival of Books. Diane Mott Davidson is the author on that bus this year and I thought it would be fun to read one of her novels, so starting at the beginning of her series.

I liked the book. I found the writing a little confusing at times, but thought the story was entertaining. I would hope the writing gets better as the series continues, or maybe the reader just gets used to her particular style. Enjoyed listening to
Laura Dogsmom
This was my summer of reading cozy mysteries.
I read quite a variety of them from different authors.

While I started this book enthusiastically, it did not grab me as others had. I waded through it, wanting to give it a fair chance and I did finish it. The story was not bad, but at times just seemed to move slowly.
The plot was not as realistic or as surprising as other cozies I had read.
I did not care as much about these characters.

I liked it enough that I will give the author another chance to
Eva
Oct 31, 2015 Eva rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The characters in this slow-moving cozy were what kept me reading -- hoping for some sort of character development, but what I got didn't come close to meeting my expectations. As I see it, Goldy's son, Arch, is going to need a lot of serious therapy to deal with his pervert OB GYN grandfather killing his favorite teacher after she threatens him with proof he'd been sexually involved with his patients, his grandfather driving his grandmother to booze and pills after he was sexually involved with ...more
Nic
Aug 05, 2014 Nic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Aurian Booklover
As I recently bought some new secondhand books in this series, and it has been years since I read some of the first books in this series, I decided to start reading them again from the first book. I did struggle a bit with liking this first book though.

Goldy is a successful caterer, who has been divorced from her abusive husband for a few years now. She is best friends with his second ex-wife Marla, and she has a young son to take care off. But she is very careful with him, not pushing or darin
Jeri
Sep 19, 2007 Jeri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the food-loving reader
These were light, easy reads. The stories are good, moves along quickly, the plot twist is always a little far-fetched... but at least you don't see the end coming! All the descriptions of the food the main character (who is a caterer) makes are fantastic and because most of the recipes are included, it makes the books much more fun to me!
Bridget
Jun 29, 2011 Bridget rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this could have been a good story, but it was too difficult to get over how poorly it is told. The plot is muddy and superficial and there is next to zero character development. I really like reading serial mystery novels as a guilty pleasure, so I may try the next one or two in the series, but this one was a dud.
Linda
Aug 09, 2007 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First in a series of culinary mysteries. An entertaining and quick read. The main character is a divorced caterer living in a small Colorado town. As Goldy plans parties and raises her son, she becomes involved in a series of murder mysteries. The books include some of her recipes too.
Heather G
Sep 19, 2007 Heather G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this culinary mystery. I found the main character and her son interesting and believable. I didn't know who did what until the end and I wanted to keep on reading until I figured it out!
Trudy
Jul 07, 2015 Trudy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally got around to reading the first of Diane Mott Davidson's culinary mysteries, Catering to Nobody (hard to find). It was a good start to the series. I have read several books in this series out of order, but it hasn't mattered too much in terms of the mysteries, and the background is covered often enough to let the reader begin most anywhere. Goldy's romantic relationships and Arch's progression through his childhood are the only ongoing themes that ought to be read in series order, but ...more
Faye
Apr 18, 2007 Faye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My current favorite series. I started this book when I was in labor, and read the whole series during Ivy's first year. You might be getting a copy as a gift from me someday.
Lorretta
Apr 04, 2012 Lorretta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping to really like this, but alas, I cannot stand Goldy. She is so indecisive, impulsive (dumb?!), and spends too much time wringing her hands. Bleh...
Kristen Hook
Honestly, I did not really enjoy this book. It was just so-so and the end did nothing for me. I felt it could have been much better. Overall a dissapointment.
Denise Rodgers
Feb 12, 2015 Denise Rodgers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read many of Diane Mott Davidson's Goldy Bear (later Schultz) books, and not necessarily in order. It was fun to read the first book after reading so many others. I then proceeded reading a few more in the order intended. It is a great series start, establishes Goldy, her background with her ex-husband, "The Jerk," her son, Arch, her best friend Marla, and of course, her love interest, Tom. It is the ultimate cozy, with the violence off-screen and not much in the way of explicit sex. There ...more
Ladysatel
An interesting mystery concerning events that span years. Glody has divorced her abusive husband and is now supporting herself and her son by catering parties, etc.

At the get together following the funeral of a teacher who committed suicide the local Ob-Gyn is poisoned. He is rushed to the hospital and the police shut down Goldy's business until they find out who poisoned the Dr. Goldy is determined to get her business back and begins to look into the poisoning. As Goldy begins to dig deeper int
Nupur Vanderlick
Felt very amateurish. No actual mystery. No detecting skills displayed. Just recipes.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #41 Catering to Nobody 1 1 Jul 07, 2015 09:26PM
  • Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8)
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
  • Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1)
  • The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Fool's Puzzle (Benni Harper, #1)
  • Death by Darjeeling (A Tea Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1)
  • The Diva Runs Out of Thyme (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #1)
  • On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1)
  • Sprinkle with Murder (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Thyme of Death (China Bayles, #1)
  • A Catered Murder (A Mystery with Recipes, #1)
  • Cooking Up Murder (A Cooking Class Mystery, #1)
New York Times bestselling author Diane Mott Davidson wrote three novels before one was accepted for publication—when she was 41. She has since written 14 more mysteries, all featuring Goldy the caterer. In addition, she has written short stories and poetry for various publications. Davidson has won the Anthony Award from Bouchercon, and has been nominated for the Agatha, another Anthony, and the ...more
More about Diane Mott Davidson...

A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Dying for Chocolate (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #2)
  • The Cereal Murders (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #3)
  • The Last Suppers (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #4)
  • Killer Pancake (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #5)
  • The Main Corpse (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #6)
  • The Grilling Season (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #7)
  • Prime Cut (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #8)
  • Tough Cookie (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #9)
  • Sticks & Scones (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #10)
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)