Start by marking “Game of Universe” as Want to Read:
Game of Universe

Game of Universe

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  237 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Germain, an assassin, is part of a group of 13 people offered a unique challenge--find the Holy Grail in one year and be rewarded with a planetary system, fail and lose your soul. Germain has an advantage--the ability to absorb the consciousness of his victims. Yet during his quest, his inner personalities begin battling for singular control of his body. Original.
Published January 1st 1997 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Game of Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game of Universe

Steven
Apr 18, 2010 Steven rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
This is my absolute favorite book that I have read thus far. Talk about a sci-fi twist on the search for the Holy Grail. This was the first book of Eric Nylund's that I read and his writing style is so easy to read and you just continue to want more. I go back to this book every year or so to re-read, and I'm never disappointed.
Cj
Jan 10, 2008 Cj rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is my favorite book of all time!!!! It's incredible: the plot, the characters, the twists. Too bad I can't find it anymore. *tear
Tips
Dec 31, 2008 Tips rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
Excellent book for those that like reading about games, assassins, multiple personalities or quests.Could also be of interest to those that like books about the holy grail. There's enough cyberpunk.sci-fi elements to entertain fans of the genre but it's toned down enough not to put off the casual reader.

One of my favourite books, unfortunately Nylund has never come close to writing anything along the same lines.
Mike
Mar 01, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans, fans of games and contests
I'm a sucker for a good "game novel". That is to say that any book that is about a character taking part in a big competition is a big interest to me. True, off hand the only books with this plot device are this and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire but still, both use the device very well.
Basically this is a science fiction space opera about a guy with about 7 personalities living in his head(it's complicated and explained much better in the book than I ever could) that uses a ticket to get i
Allen Massey
Aug 07, 2010 Allen Massey rated it it was amazing
An early book from Eric Nylund, but I think it is one of his best.

Gives a hard sf slant on magic with excellent character development and plot.
Chad Iverson
Jan 09, 2016 Chad Iverson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: escape
Entertaining, but light

Perhaps I came into it with too-high expectations, but it failed to get past 'light entertainment' for me. Decent characters, some creative plot aspects, but I sort of felt I was forcing myself to finish towards the end. I liked it fine, but wouldn't rush out to recommend it. Perhaps I've been spoiled by the Mistborn series.
Ashley (Bound to Love YA)
Apr 09, 2016 Ashley (Bound to Love YA) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
A sci-fi retelling of the quest for the Holy Grail! Need I say more??

Well in case I do...
Nylund is such a master of world-building (or universe building, rather), I just couldn't put this book down. There's something for everyone: mind-bending physics, time travel, world-hopping, religious fanatics, alien mobsters, shoot-outs on corrupt planets, angels, demons, and everything but the kitchen sink.

Miraculously, Nylund ties it all together in this epic quest that sucks you in and keeps you think
Mr. Noah Sturdevant
Oct 28, 2015 Mr. Noah Sturdevant rated it it was amazing
I had no expectations of this book and was glad is was so good. It reminds me a lot of something Gene Wolfe would write, but perhaps with a little more grounding and less left up to interpretation.
Boulder Boulderson
I remember reading this years ago and that it was a fantastic book, so when I saw it on Kindle I picked it up....very much not as good as I remembered.

Still a good book, the story of a Grail Quest and one man's salvation from his internal daemons, but nothing particularly special unfortunately.
Rachel
Apr 28, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it
This was such a fun read and one of my favorite science fiction novels so far. The sci fi elements were perfectly balanced; they didn't feel like the author was showing off like some of the other books I've read. I didn't find myself confused at any point, and the imagery was truly stunning. Sometimes it felt a bit too much like a video game, like Nylund was playing "what would Germain do if this happened"? But I loved the way he weaved together all the plot elements in the end. It was clever an ...more
Andrew
Apr 13, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, re-reads, 2015
I re-read this one pretty regularly. It remains fresh and original and is a well-told tale. Highly recommend.
David
Apr 10, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
This is such a simple and simply written book, but there is a wistful quality about it and the story that keeps drawing me back. Cloaked in the deliberately cliche elements of a space opera, this story turns out to be a gentle fable about loneliness and longing.

This is a book that I go back to and reread.
Nolan Sauls
May 03, 2015 Nolan Sauls rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Game of thrones meets Star Wars - but that doesn't even describe it. Amazing book. I will read again and recommend the shit out of it to anyone who cares about spirituality and science.
Christopher
Dec 22, 2010 Christopher rated it really liked it
The first book that I read of Mr. Nylund's. I then quickly purchased Pawn's Game and Dry Water. Loved all of them. Can't wait to read All That Lives Must Die!
Christian Martin
Sep 12, 2013 Christian Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Currently my favorite book I've ever read. An awesome adventure. It's fast, smart, and stylish. Features a really cool magic system. Great characters.
Kristopher
Mar 04, 2010 Kristopher rated it it was amazing
Unique, rich science fiction/fantasy world.
Story of sin, harrowing, redemption, bears further allegorical, philosophical, psychological analysis.
Jeremy
Aug 30, 2009 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
This along with Nylunds Pawn's Dream are among my favorite books
Jonathan
Aug 20, 2007 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Games can be fixed in your favour.
Paul O'nion
Jan 20, 2013 Paul O'nion rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping and simply fantastic
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Aleksandr Soborov
Aleksandr Soborov rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Alex Fernandez-gatti
Alex Fernandez-gatti rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Glenn Galpin
Glenn Galpin rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Kati
Kati marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Jared Hammaker
Jared Hammaker rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
  • Facets
  • The Silicon Man
  • The Edge of Human (Blade Runner, #2)
  • Memory Wire
  • Halo
  • Alien Blood: Psion / Catspaw (Cat, #1-2)
  • Heathern
  • Budayeen Nights
  • Crystal Nights and Other Stories
  • Dragons Lost (Requiem for Dragons Book 1)
  • The Jazz
  • Hour of the Horde
  • Arthur C. Clarke: 2001/A Space Odyssey, The City And The Stars, The Deep Range, A Fall Of Moondust, Rendevous With Rama
  • Timelike Diplomacy
  • Africa Zero
  • Little Heroes
  • In the Drift
  • The Artificial Kid (Context, San Francisco)