Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)

Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  372 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Within every federation and every empire, behind every hero and every villain, there are the worlds that define them. In the aftermath of "Unity" and in the daring tradition of "Spock's World, The Final Reflection, " and "A Stitch in Time, " the civilizations most closely tied to "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" can now be experienced as never before...in tales both sweeping a...more
Published May 25th 2004 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Cardassia and Andor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cardassia and Andor

Beth - ;)
This book involved two different stories, one set on Cardassia and the other on Andor. Both took place after the Dominion War.

Cardassia was really quite boring. It deserved only two stars at best. Miles and Keiko O'Brien are helping with the reconstruction of Cardassia and only a terrorist bomber threat - by a 14-year-old - saved the story from no stars at all.

Andor, on the other hand, was quite interesting. I would have given it 4+ stars. Shar, a young Andorian, a species with four sexes, is...more
Daniel
Season 9 of the Deep Space Nine relaunch continues, well, if the books could be called a season. This is similar to character specific stories, such as "Rising Son," which peppered the previous books. This is essentially split into two mini-books. The first focuses on Cardassia with the O'Brian's and Garak being at the forefront, the second is set on Andor with Tenmei, Shar, and Phillipa being the focus. The story surrounding Cardassia is mostly about the planet and its people coming to terms wi...more
Dola chi-Trei
I have found the Andorian part of the book to be severely lacking. The story simply doesn't make sense. Not only does it go against canon (where four sexes are not even hinted at) but it tries to sell a species having developed with a reproductive system so complicated that the its survival is directly threatened by the very way the species reproduces. And all of that on a world that is known to have had overpopulation issues. No, it's not convincing at all.
Matthew Bowers
Reread. An interesting choice, and a risky one, for DS9's "ninth season premiere," to split off its characters into pairs and trios and go in-depth into the homeworlds and societies of the primary races represented on DS9. Overall a successful experiment, I'd say; the season nine plotline is really only moved forward by the events of the Bajor and Dominion novellas, in the next two books, but I feel strongly that the Andor and Cardassia novellas, contained here, are by far the strongest in this...more
Nathan Burgoine
I bought this for two reasons: One, I really enjoyed Heather Jarman's work on the character of Shar (the Andorian) and wanted to continue his tale in her voice. Two, I needed mind-candy. Bad.

This delivers on both fronts. McCormack's 'Cardassia' story is a bit thin, a straightforward hostage taking, though it has the virtue of including Keiko and Miles O'Brien (who have been missing mostly from the relaunch of DS9 given that they retired to Earth at the end of the series - but Keiko moved to Cara...more
Jack
I couldn't help viewing the 'Worlds' series as a necessary 6-novella hurdle on the road to catching up with the larger Trek lit storyline. Although it apparently continued the various storylines set up in the previous DS9 relaunch books - and so they needed to be read - I wasn't terribly interested in stories set solely on one world and in one society. I wanted to get to the Typhon Pact business post haste.

What a pleasant surprise that both stories were engaging, meaningful, and in the case of t...more
Luke
I'm usually not a fan of anthologies, but this was kinda necessary to continue reading the DS9 relaunch. I had a lot of trouble getting hold of these, eventually had to buy them in electronic format.

WODS9 continues with three volumes in varying time frames in the month after the events of Unity. Volume 1 contains two stories, the first set on Cardassia and following the adventures of the O'Brian family.

Kieko, Miles and family have relocated to Cardassia to help with the rebuilding. Our favouri...more
Angela
This is really 2 novellas. One is set on Cardassia, with Keiko, O'Brien, and Garak. The other is set on Andor with characters introduced in the novel range. Both were interesting reading, Garak manipulating events is always a decent read. The Andor story was so involving especially if you had read the previous novels, basically a tragic love story. A good read.
Mark
The saga of DS9 continues in this first volume of a series set on the homeworlds of various characters. Una McCormack follows the new careers of Garak and the O’Briens on Cardassia while Heather Jarman takes us to Andor where we learn more about Shar and Prynn Tenmei. Both are satisfying reads and I look forward to new volumes.

Published in paperback by Pocket Books.
Barbara
even though the Andor story goes against canon it is the best of the two. I always try to see the books as seperate from the series. Almost like a different timeline or parallel dimension because a lot goes against canon or against what another author said.
Benjamin Plume
Wonderful-I've always wondered about the Andorians, especially.
Ceremony
i liked the cardassian part but i loved the andorian one
Nicole
loved the andor story
Petr
Petr added it
Sep 11, 2014
serendippy
serendippy marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Abe Flores
Abe Flores marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Jean-Luc
Jean-Luc marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
George Kraft
George Kraft marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Rising Son (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #52)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny: Book One (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • A Stitch in Time
  • Prophecy and Change (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • The Fall of Terok Nor (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Millennium, #1)
  • Day of the Vipers (Star Trek Terok Nor Book 1)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #4)
Una McCormack is a British writer and the author of several Star Trek novels and stories.

She has also written a number of Doctor Who novels and short stories.
More about Una McCormack...
Doctor Who: The Way Through the Woods Doctor Who: The King's Dragon Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #8) Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Never Ending Sacrifice The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)