Start by marking “Certain Jeopardy” as Want to Read:
Certain Jeopardy

Certain Jeopardy (Sgt. Major Eric Moyer #1)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  23 reviews
U.S. Special Ops appraoch an Al Qaeda base in Venezuela and discover its plans to transport a nuclear weapons expert to Iran. Debut novel from war veteran Jeff Struecker, now a U.S. military chaplain.
Published May 1st 2009 by B&H Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Certain Jeopardy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Certain Jeopardy

Tracey Cramer-Kelly
I have great respect for Struecker, who has written a nail-biting suspense about a Spec Ops (Army Ranger) team that also grapples with the issue of faith.

There are a lot of characters in this book, and the point of view bounced around a lot. Add in the team members’ nicknames, and it got hard to follow at times. The early parts bogged down a bit, felt a little slow with all the characters getting a tidbit.

Sruecker tried to follow family events happening at home (a rebellious teenage son, a troub
Joyce McKune
I really like the back and forth from the guys who are sent on an operation to gather intel on a suspected Al-Qaeda gathering and their families back home who have no idea where they are and when they'll be back. For these guys, it's like having two families. When on a mission, they are ready and willing to lay down their life for each other. Won't leave even a dying man behind. But when something happens at home they have to trust God and the other wives to fill their boots until they can get b ...more
Victor Gentile
Captain Jeff Struecker and Alton Gansky in their new book, “Certain Jeopardy” Book One in the Special Ops series published by B&H Publishing Group gives us another mission with Sergeant Eric Moyer and his Special Ops team.

From the back cover: Your safety rests in the hands of six men…

…they are Special Ops and their mission has just been upgraded from difficult to impossible. A detect-and-observe mission revealed the unexpected-and the terrifying. The discovery has forced a change in the miss
Becky
When Iran and Venezuela put their heads together, the results are not good for the United States. Throw in the kidnapping of a nuclear physicist's family, and things go from bad to worse. Eric Moyer's Army Ranger team is sent in to recon the situation. These six men represent the highest of Army ideals . . . but tragedy on the home front and a secret kept by a member of the team threaten to unravel even the best laid plans. Before long, things are spiraling toward certain jeopardy.

Certain Jeopar
Debbie
This book is a military thriller. The story was written in short, quick chapters from rotating point of views--and there were a fairly large number of point of view characters. At the beginning, I sometimes got confused as to how everyone was related to each other, but that didn't last long.

The prose felt a little unrefined, but that fit the character of the story.

The book was fast-paced. The author clearly explained the equipment and jargon used in the story without bogging down the pace with
Debdatta D. Sahay (b00k r3vi3ws)
The story follows the lives of six special ops operatives and their immediate family. They live a kind of dual lives because they can never reveal what they really do. Their lives take an interesting turn with a simple phone call as three pairs of special ops soldiers move to a new assignment separately, yet together. As the lives of these six men change with the dire situations, so do the lives of their partners back home.

The character portrayal has been done to perfection as each character hav
Jane
This was an enjoyable book. The story was well-told and the characters were believable.

It is the story of a Special Ops team on a mission to Venezuela. As the story moved to its conclusion the fast-paced action kept me reading. I enjoyed the way the authors wove the lives of the families back home in throughout the story.

I don't usually enjoy Christian fiction, because so often the belief seems to drive the story. In this book the story was told, and the Christian belief was a part of it, but i
Charles
I was a little hesitant about this book after reading other reviews and noting the religious overtones that were called out. After reading it however, I can say that the religious aspects were well presented and fit nicely into the story line. [return]The book starts off quickly and keeps going. Jeff Struecker and Alton Gansky do a wonderful job of developing the characters in the story.The inclusion of the character's families make them feel real. [return]While the characters are well developed ...more
Marian Baay
In Certain Jeopardy we meet a Spec Ops team of six men. Although I had some trouble getting to know the names and nicknames of the men and to whom they were in a relationship--I really think it was a great read!
When I had the relationships all figured out, I enjoyed to have a look in the family lifes of special ops.

The book is believably written. It's always great to read a book by an author who knows where he's talking about. Jeff Strueker has been there and done that.

I highly recommend this b
Stacy
One I purchased on my Kindle for Tim to read. But he never seems to want to read, so I finally broke down and read it. Good book, took a bit to set up, but once it got going, it was really good. We'd heard Captain Struecker speak at our church, so we knew a lot about him. He has a couple of other books, one of which I've bought, and plan to read. Modern day soldiers in situations in the war against terrorism, with a Christian background and viewpoint. Good stuff.
Skybirdsmom
This was a good book about military men working undercover in another country to protect the USA. It was not as well-written as many books I read, but it was suspenseful and all does not turn out perfect, just like the real world. One thing I didn't like was that the author had names for his characters, but also nicknames. It was very confusing at times, because he went back and forth on the same page, using the name or the nickname. It was an interruption in the reading.
Shannon
Read aloud to me. I guess you could say it's just not my style though I've enjoyed a few others of the same genre. Some of these scenes are too descriptive for me. It's a riveting plot. There's character development. I would have preferred that some of the sub-conflicts were not quite what they were. I really liked a different one by this author though, The Road to Unafraid. This book has a different co-author. Perhaps his influence is the part I don't like.
Shelley
I really like this author. He writes great stories with no language or immorality, and he makes the characters real. It is obvious he puts some of himself and others into his characters. You really can start to understand why career military and special ops solders feel compelled to do what they do. I hope he continues to write more books.
Brad Lewis
I'm a big fan of the TV show 'The Unit.' This book is a lot like the show with the addition one soldier's witness as a Christian to his fellow soldiers while they go through struggles related to their work and their families.
Charity
This book was great!! I have read many of Alton Gansky's books and this was one of the best. I enjoy military stuff and this was good. Definitely a keeper:)!
Ken Durham
A nice series based on special ops group. It kept me interested from page 1 of book 1 to the last page of book 3.
Terry Moffitt
Can't Wait for Struecker's next work. This one was an excellent.
Deborah Boutwell
Aug 15, 2009 Deborah Boutwell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Military, fiction, faith, action
Quick read, my heart was racing with the action.
Jonathan
well done, Jeff & Al. honored to work with you both.
Ryan
Great suspense! Couldn't put it down a fun read.
Jack
Awesome book, very fast paced.
Beverly Rowe
Great story...couldn't put it down.
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
  • The Betrayal (Precinct 11, #2)
  • Proof (Bloodline Trilogy, #1)
  • A Ship Possessed (J.D. Stanton #1)
  • Critical Pursuit (Critical Pursuit, #1)
  • Nightshade (Discarded Heroes, #1)
  • Gone to Ground
  • Fear No Evil
  • Defiance (Navy Justice #3)
  • Shade
  • Lady Anne's Quest (Prairie Dreams, #2)
  • The Voice
  • Elementary, My Dear Watkins (Smart Chick Mysteries, Book 3)
  • Sworn to Protect (Call of Duty, #2)
  • Lion of Babylon

Chaplain (Major) Jeff Struecker was born in Fort Dodge, Iowa. He entered the Army as an enlisted soldier in September 1987 and remained on active duty until April 2000 when he was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the US Army Reserve as a Chaplain Candidate. He confessed Christ as Savior as a teenager and was called to the ministry while serving with the 75th Ranger Regiment in Ft. Benning, G
More about Jeff Struecker...
The Road to Unafraid: How the Army's Top Ranger Faced Fear and Found Courage through Black Hawk Down and Beyond Hide and Seek Blaze of Glory (Sgt. Major Eric Moyer, #2) Fallen Angel (Sgt. Major Eric Moyer, #3)