Start by marking “Bound by Deception” as Want to Read:
Bound by Deception

Bound by Deception (Bound #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,932 Ratings  ·  181 Reviews
Lord Oliver Marsden has a secret. He's been in love with his childhood friend for years, though Vincent's never shown an interest in him beyond friendship. Ruggedly handsome, wealthy, and successful, Vincent is everything Oliver is not. And Vincent doesn't prefer men. Then Oliver discovers Vincent hires a man during his visits to a London brothel. Desperate to be with Vinc ...more
Nook, Nook Edition, 0 pages
Published September 16th 2008 by Loose Id, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Bound by Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bound by Deception

Nov 09, 2008 Daisiemae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a M/M Romance
Wow! I really loved this book. Set in London, England in the year 1822 it was one of my first historical M/M Erotic Romance reads.
Lord Oliver Marsden has decided to take matters into his own hands. Born the second son, he has been often overlooked by the ton and his family, as someone that doesn't have much value or worth. His closest friend, Lord Vincent Prescot, is also the second son, but he comes from a more wealthy family and although more accepted by the ton, he and Oliver have easily beco
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion

True. There were no MANTIES but there was a veritable poo poo platter of kinkanigans. Regency kinkanigans.

Vincent and Oliver are both second sons. You know "the spare". The overlooked or outright forgotten sons. Vincent is still seeking approval from his father. Oliver's father has been disgraced, outcast from polite society and Oliver has washed his hands of him. However, Oliver is near destitute so for him to come up with the money required to pull off his deception shows his level of commitm
Jan 19, 2009 Gabbi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hot-man-love, ebook
The chemistry between the heroes literally took my breath away. I thought this book had so many sensual and very sexy moments for a novella. I wish the story had been longer. I really would enjoy reading more about them!
Apr 22, 2009 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All of our friends here that hasn't read it
Recommended to Jack by: Ashley, Shell, Shawn
Bound by Deception is another book that has been recommended to us by our friends here on Goodreads. Once again, our friends have great tastes in their reading material.
It's a pretty rare to find a historical erotic romance in this genre. It's always interesting to see how things will turn out since homosexual relationships were even more frowned upon than it is today. I thought that Ava's heroes, Oliver and Vincent, are both interesting and very much a product of their time. The chemistry they
Jun 12, 2015 Ele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicals

Will post a review when I finish with all books of the series.

But OH.MY.GOD! That last scene...

Also...marble dildos...

Let's do this.

Jan 20, 2011 Bookwatcher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: BDSM fans
Two lovers, concealed passion...
...heartbreaking couple

About the two main characters
Lord Oliver Marsden is deeply in love with his childhood friend,Lord Vincent Prescot. It's 1822, and we are talking about London as background... of course it's not possible to him declare his love and propose in the middle of the street (while witness applaud crying)... nope. Was a crime (sodomy) and was punished by hanging.
Oliver find one way to have just one time with Vincent. Pretend to be a whore, in the
Re-read for review in April, 2016.

The main reason I do not unusually enjoy historical M/M romance is because there is little to no chance of a plausible HEA. This book is a pretty good example of that.

In Bound by Deception, the sex was hot but there is no future for these men after their HFN. It makes me sad to think about, even when I am normally all about suspending disbelief.

This is a case of me and the genre, not necessarily the book. But fair warning, the ending is bleak at best.
I really liked this book and i don't know why i waited so long to read it.
I'm in love with Oliver_lol.And i liked the confrontation scene at the end (read it 2 times).
I'll wait for the sequel to see how the relationship between the two lords will evolve.
Mar 05, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous romp through history. As someone who normally doesn't go for historical romance books, I was surprised by how much I liked this novella. The intimate scenes between the characters were smokin hot and the angst was delicious. I wish I'd read it sooner.
I'm gonna be honest.

As much as I like historicals, it is the kink factor that drew me in to this series.

And Ms. March certainly delivered on the kinkiness. I mean, these two were HOT when they found themselves in a bedroom.

However, I found that my joy of the novel was tempered with how the "relationship" (if you can call it that) between the MCs was portrayed; I just felt that it was too one-sided. Oliver has been in love with his best friend Vincent for years, but Vincent has never really lo
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

That's my rating for the entire series, including the two free shorties. Ava March is the queen of m\m Regency romance; I adore the scenes she writes and the HEAs she grants, despite the obvious historical limitations. Regencies can be stuffy or depressing. This series is neither. It's hot and filthy in the best possible way (bondage, oil, and dildos included).

Oliver and Vincent are both fully realized characters. I loved the depth of their relationship, the sl
Verrrrry hot story, with likable characters and interesting story. The final confrontation between Oliver and Vincent was well written, emotionally tugging and made me root for a nice HEA. Alas, I had to content myself with a HFN, which was actually fine considering the length of the story and the fact that there's a sequel where, I hope, they'll finally find their HEA.

Now, most of the sexual content (BDSM) of this story is out of my comfort zone and I admit I skimmed through some parts of the l
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
First of all: I loved this book, I can't begin to say how much.

I really liked:

* The setting, London 1822. For me the historical setting gives this book an exotic taste. Candle light, a lot of clothes to get rid of, it was great for my imagination.

* The characters. Oliver and Vincent are amazing, they are so good together! I loved Oliver and his feelings felt so real that my heart ached for him, his pain, his desperation.

* The BDSM element. I usually avoid BDSM themed books, but this book made me
May 25, 2013 Jenre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, historicals, romance
I was in the mood for a historical and I really enjoy Ava March's regency books. This one had been on the TBR pile for a while and I'm not quite sure why I haven't read it sooner.

Oliver has been in love with his friend Vincent for years and when he discovers that Vincent frequents the same brothel as he does, and that he likes men, Oliver decides to disguise himself as a prostitute and spend a night with Vincent.

Ava March always writes wonderful sex scenes and this was no exception. There's a BD
Feb 18, 2016 Steelwhisper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of m/m and BDSM
Recommended to Steelwhisper by: Kate
This was a delightful and very fast read. I wasn't entirely satisfied with this book, there are a few criticisms, but I still give it 5*.

Why? Well, this has been one of a very few BDSM-containing novels I've read during the past 12 months which was absolutely "right" on every level of BDSM. That last, so bloody rare acknowledgment at the end, that it is the submissive who controls the game, while ensuring the sensuality of this also makes itself known to the reader is reason for those 5 stars al
Sep 04, 2009 Matimate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2009
This was bull eye of hitting good thing in the sea of homoerotica. There are several reasons why 1. two handsome men in the historical setting, 2. sex with hint of BDSM, 3. plot there is a plot and it does not affect the whole book, 4. it was funny kind of plot, 5. the book was short but thick with action, 6. I learn new English word - ballock.

Two lords, both second sons so without obligation to produce heir and rather being overlooked by their fathers were the main characters of the book. Olive
Oct 17, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good kinky Regency m/m romance about a minor aristocrat who's been in love with one of his well-to-do friends for years, but only recently realized that his friend was also gay. Will his deceptive scheme to take the place of his friend's usual whore, while remaining anonymous, ultimately backfire?
Elisa Rolle
Bound by Deception was an unlucky book in my reading list, it slipped day by day till the day I almost forgot I had it, and now that I read it, thanks to the release of a sequel, I'd like to knock myself on the head for allowing so. I knew that I would have liked it, I loved another book by Ava March, an Erotic Regency as this one, so why I waited so much? Mystery of my strange mind...

Anyway, Ava March, in this second book, but really her first book, confirms my previous idea of her: she is a v
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I'm so glad I listened to a few of my fellow Goodreaders and picked up Ava March's work. Seriously good historical romance without the inconvenience of having to put up with any horribly crafted heroines. Hot historic dudes sexin' each other up. Good plots, good writing, likable characters, great dialogue, good romance. Win.
4.5 stars Holy crap. Anyone who says they don't like historical romances, or especially m-m historical romances (since they are inevitably in the closet), is seriously missing out. I read Ava March's Brook Street series, starting with Thief, and loved them all. This was equally amazing. I could have used more from Vincent's POV to understand him and feel more of a connection, but Oliver was so great and the sex was so hot, that it really didn't matter. This is novella length, and while we always ...more
Christina (SteepedinBooks)
I debated for awhile before I bought this one, but I’m so glad I did! It wasn’t what I expected at all! I was afraid that the BDSM elements would overpower the story, or that the scenes wouldn’t be written well enough to make them seem natural to the plot or the characters. I was pleasantly surprised when both of my worries turned out to be unfounded! The writing was very tight and descriptive. Even though the story topped out at a mere 96 pages, no words were wasted.

Oliver’s emotions were prett
Liz (Bugetta)
I originally read this in September of 2013 and it was one of my early m/m romance reads and probably one of my first BDSM romances (though in retrospect, it's pretty darn tame!). I never got around to finishing the series and decided to re-read of the first two books was needed before I read the last one. I enjoyed this just as much the second time around. The scene in the brothel was soooo hot. And then when Oliver reveals himself to Vincent - so good. I forgot how much I enjoyed Ava March's w ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Oct 12, 2013 Barb ~rede-2-read~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Barb ~rede-2-read~ by: Jo *Smut-Dicked*
I enjoyed this story very much. It was the first I'd read from this author and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. Oliver was an engaging character who wore his affection for Vincent on his sleeve and Vincent was strong and stoic with all his passions burning inside hidden from the world.

It was a fairly short story but the characters were clearly described and dynamic together. And the HFN was certainly nice and enough of a promise for me to want to keep going.
Annelise Lestrange
Review originally posted on The Book Adventures of Annelise Lestrange :)

To read my review on the full Bound series, please see it here or on my blog :D
Leyanis M
I wish this book could have been longer. I didn't feel this was a love relationship. Even though Oliver was "in love" with Vincent, I didn't feel his feelings were real, sounded more like "school boy love" than anything else. I don't think there was enough for it to be LOVE.

I was a bit reluctant with the D/S sex scenes, I thought it was a bit unrealistic. I did enjoy some of the scenes, but once again I wish they would have been longer. More well explained and more descriptions, it was just sex,
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I loved this book. It was sweet and heartbreaking at the same time.

You'll fall in love with Oliver, who's a man easily overlooked, because of his desire to have just one night with the person he's always loved. Vincent, who's prim and proper, needs to dominate and feels that what he does to the men at the brothel is more for them then it is for himself.

When Oliver replaces the usual whore Vincent uses, Vincent gets a swift slap in the face (metaphorically speaking) and has to come to terms with
This review of the first two books of Ava March’s Bound series was originally published at my blog. It contains information about both books.

Genre & Keywords:

M/M, Historical, Regency England, Friends become lovers, D/s, Bondage

Bound series. So far there are 2 books, and one free short story, in this series. All three have the same main characters, Oliver and Vincent, in it.

Why I read the books:

Some of my blog friends read and reviewed these books, after they had caught my eye at th
Jun 09, 2010 Erastes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-historical
Rather more a longish short story than a novella, despite it being about 80 pages long, this is definitely an erotic story, so those looking for a very VERY hot ride will like this a lot. It certainly made me warm in places that make me happy!

As the blurb suggests, Lord Oliver uses a ruse to get his friend Lord Vincent (more on the lords later) to shag him, and relies on the Lois Lane Blindspot which involves a dodgy accent, a dimly lit room and the removal of his spectacles to get Lord Vincent
Dec 22, 2014 Beck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beck by: Angelica
Ava March makes the reading experience so enjoyable. No glaring errors in the period setting. Well developed characters. Wonderfully written sex. Romance without the irritating insta-love. This book has the added benefit of seriously kinky, smutty, sex to titillate the reader. One wonders how you research sex toys from the regency period!

This is a great start to the series & I confess that I assumed it would be good & purchased all the books in the series before starting to read this one
  • Seducing Stephen
  • Forged (Hammer, #8)
  • The Elegant Corpse
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Bound and Determined
  • Angel's Evolution
  • Uneven
  • Captain's Surrender
  • Reckless Seduction (Reckless, #1)
  • An Improper Holiday
  • Some Kind of Stranger (Blue Ruin, #1)
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • Stealing West
  • Kindred Hearts
  • Gaydar (G-A-Y #1)
  • The Ties That Bind
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • Discreet Young Gentleman
Ava March is a bestselling author of sexy, emotionally intense M/M historical erotic romances. She loves writing in the Regency time period, where proper decorum is of the utmost importance, but where anything can happen behind closed doors. With over fifteen works to her credit, her books have been finalists in the Rainbow Awards and More Than Magic contest, and deemed ‘must-haves’ for Historical ...more
More about Ava March...

Bound (3 books)
  • Bound to Him (Bound, #2)
  • Bound Forever (Bound, #3)