Start by marking “An Echo of Heaven” as Want to Read:
An Echo of Heaven

An Echo of Heaven

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Japan's Nobel Laureate presents a fresh and penetrating portrait of a woman of independent character and strong physical appetites, on a journey in search of spiritual peace that takes her to a commune in California and among the workers on a cooperative farm in a remote village in Mexico.
Published April 1st 2000 by Kodansha International (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about An Echo of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Echo of Heaven

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenKafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiThe Tale of Genji by Murasaki ShikibuThe Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki MurakamiShōgun by James Clavell
Japanese Fiction
150th out of 246 books — 142 voters
A Personal Matter by Kenzaburō ŌeRouse Up, O Young Men of the New Age! by Kenzaburō ŌeA Quiet Life by Kenzaburō ŌeThe Silent Cry by Kenzaburō ŌeSomersault by Kenzaburō Ōe
Kenzaburo Oe: Top of the Pops
13th out of 13 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

David
"With a deep sadness and a massive hard-on,"

"Marie nodded as she listened, directing a dark look of great intensity at me that said, if all this grief I've been carrying around with me ... was just a scheme the 'cosmic will' cooked up to get me to invite some Filipinos to Japan, I'll go out of my mind."

Fictional Kenzaburo Oe's fictional son's fictional best-friend's fictional mother is the star of this one. The cosmic will throws her one hell of a curveball, and she's off to California and then
Rika
(cuma mindah dari multiply:-P)
Awalnya aku ngedit buku ini dengan ogah-ogahan...tapi ternyata di luar dugaanku: i like it a lot! ndak cukup suka sehingga direkomendasikan dengan kata-kata: it will change your life sih *Hohoho* tapi..cukup..mmm bukan cukup menghibur, karena ceritanya agak depressing, cukup mengesankan dan enlightening. BTW, ini bukan promosi buku bentang lho..
Di novel ini oe seolah menceritakan kisah yang dia sendiri terlibat di dalamnya, walo bukan tokoh utama. Sudut pandangnya k
Vitta
Хочу привести продолжение данной аннотации к данному произведению, взятое у Лениздата, т.к. по этой о чем речь в книге ясно не до конца.
"Темы, затронутые в романе «Эхо небес», по-настоящему глубоки и даже болезненны. За внешней лаконичностью стиля и сдержанной авторской интонацией стоит полный изумления и горечи рассказ о жизни молодой красивой женщины Мариэ Кураки. Ее судьба выткана столь причудливо, что читатель вслед за автором застывает в священном ужасе пред волею небес, в которой слышатся
elliot
wow, author of a personal matter writes a book about a flannery o'connor expert who, after the double suicide of her children, becomes venerated as a saint in mexico? count me in.

this novel joins works like rouse up and the aforementioned a personal matter in oe's pseudo-autobiographical kaleidoscope. when working in this vein, oe subverts the japanese "i-novel" trope of excessive, zola-influenced realism that permeated the country at the beginning of the 20th century by writing from the point-o
Stanislavkin
Absolutely breathtaking, story of loss and gain, personal strength and salvation. Must-read for everyone, whose faith may tremble at a time.
Annett
Eigentlich haben mir die Bücher von Kanzaburo Oe bislang recht gut gefallen. Dieses Mal muss ich aber passen. Was da an verquasten Wiederholungen im zweiten Teil der Erzählung auf die Leserin zukommt, ist schlicht schwer zu ertragen bzw. braucht viel Stehvermögen. Die Geschichte von Marie, deren zwei behinderte Söhne Selbstmord begehen, fesselt zunächst, wird dann aber immer abstruser (u.a. als sie sich dem "Väterchen Tutor" anschliesst...) und immer redundanter. Vielleicht liegt es an der Übers ...more
Jframirez
So I just wrote a very long and purple-y prose(d) review about how much I like this book and yatta yatta gabba gabba whateva. The library internet connection kicked me off just as I hit enter. Dammit.

So, to make this short. It's good, the structure is funny, but Oe is a supremely confident writer, and that's certainly evident in his prose which can sometimes, many times, read like poetry thrown scattered about the page.
Ismael Galvan
This is a heavy book about human suffering in the modern world. Everything about this book holds solid. If you read this book, be prepared to mentally and emotionally exhausted. But I think it's one of those thing you just got to do. This was my first Oe book and I will be reading the rest of his collection.
Desiree Jung
I thoght was an intriguing plot, with lots of suffering, but interesting character development. It was my first book by OE, and I realize he is quite concerned with his own personal subjects.
Tom Hancock
My first experience reading Oe. I enjoyed his narration and exploration of searching for meaning in the face of incredible loss. I certainly plan to read more of Mr. Oe's work.
Kirei
This book is about a Japanese woman who is distraught over the deaths of her two sons. She then travels to California and Mexico. I could not get into this book.
Eaglechen
Okay, abgebrochen auf Grund von akuter Langeweile.
jo
this is about flannery o'connor. really incredible.
Kathie Edeli
Interesting--such a mix of cultures.
Steven Duchnowski
Steven Duchnowski marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Cheka
Cheka marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Violet
Violet marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Duncan
Duncan marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Maha Almojel
Maha Almojel marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Alyson
Alyson added it
Jul 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Kenzaburō Ōe (大江 健三郎), is a major figure in contemporary Japanese literature. His works, strongly influenced by French and American literature and literary theory, engage with political, social and philosophical issues including nuclear weapons, social non-conformism and existentialism.

Ōe was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1994 for creating "an imagined world, where life and myth condens
More about Kenzaburō Ōe...
A Personal Matter Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids The Silent Cry Teach Us to Outgrow Our Madness: Four Short Novels A Quiet Life