Start by marking “An Alien at St Wilfred's” as Want to Read:
An Alien at St Wilfred's

An Alien at St Wilfred's

Best-selling author Adrian Plass tells the humorous and poignant tale of a small alien who comes to live in a parish church.
Published June 16th 1992 by Zondervan (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about An Alien at St Wilfred's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Alien at St Wilfred's

Helmisade
May 10, 2010 Helmisade rated it it was amazing
My absolute favourite Christian book. Profound, funny, thoughtfull. The author manages to say so many important things in this small book that I have to admire the talent.
Naomi
Nov 05, 2012 Naomi rated it really liked it
A small, vulnerable alien mystic and four broken, vulnerable and beautiful people. A large vicar causing chaos by knocking everything over. Physical humour. People seeking the sacred through and despite their brokenness. Trying to pray. Dessert fathers!! A beautiful alien with English straight from the Book of Common Prayer, trying very hard not to cry and yet naming the brokenness and healing those with whom he waits.

I go to this book when I need to be reminded of the simplicity of my faith. A
Yulia Mamonova
Oct 11, 2016 Yulia Mamonova rated it really liked it
It was an interesting experience. I loved how the author made God real and present in every day. Got a few lessons to think about from the book. Would recommend reading it, especially if you like Adrian Plass's style (which I, by the way love!) And also, I laughed so hard at times that people turned to look at me in the metro!
Leah
Nov 25, 2008 Leah rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality, fiction
Ah yes, another funny read from Plass, however, this story is linked with the serious. An alien comes to stay in a church for a few months and ends up changing the lives of the 5 people who are able to see him. The book is composed of several parts, told by each member of the inner circle. Not sci-fi in any way, but rather a beautiful depiction of how people can change when there is one person in the midst of them who truly acts like Jesus would want them to.
Jenne
Oct 22, 2008 Jenne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys humor and Christian fiction.
Recommended to Jenne by: my best friend, Nikki
This was the first Adrian Plass book I read and it is hysterical! But poignant too. Adrian is a struggling Christian with a wicked sense of humour. If you haven't come across Adrian Plass, (If your not a Brit, you probably won't have there a little hard to find in the US) then I highly recommend you look him up!
Sedelle Harding
Jan 03, 2017 Sedelle Harding rated it really liked it
Beautiful in its simplicity and quiet. A book that needs to be read at the start of every new year.
Joshua Kao
Feb 21, 2015 Joshua Kao rated it liked it
Musings on life as a Christ-seeker injected with British humor (i.e. characters going off things that seem inconsequential but really aren't).
Lynette
Jun 28, 2009 Lynette rated it it was amazing
challenges you about your belief and what faith is. A great read at many levels.
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it it was amazing
The unusual story of the little alien Nunc and his effect on four different people in the struggling church of St Wilfred's. Thought-provoking, amusing at times, and very enjoyable
Abbey Wellick
Abbey Wellick rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
Lars Hofstetter
Lars Hofstetter rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2017
Karen Beverley
Karen Beverley rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Shuggster
Shuggster rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2010
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2011
Ojaswi
Ojaswi rated it did not like it
Jul 27, 2011
Simon Fletcher
Simon Fletcher rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Phil
Phil rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2012
BIRGIT
BIRGIT rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
May 21, 2017
Reuben Jolliff
Reuben Jolliff rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2015
Ada Nwangwu
Ada Nwangwu rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2014
Adam Stevenson
Adam Stevenson rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2012
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Martin
Martin rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Estherrrr
Estherrrr rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Heather Stanley
Heather Stanley rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Marleen
Marleen rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Andrew Pierce
Andrew Pierce rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Adrian Plass is a writer and speaker who has produced over thirty books in the last twenty years. The best known of these is probably The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass, a gentle satire on the modern church, which has sold hundreds of thousands of copies worldwide. This and other books have travelled to other countries and are translated into a number of foreign languages. Other books include biogra ...more
More about Adrian Plass...