Geek Mafia
read book* *Different edition

Geek Mafia

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  455 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Fired from a job he hated at a company he loved, videogame designer Paul Reynolds is drowning his sorrows in late-morning margaritas when he meets an alluring, pink-haired conwoman named Chloe. With her gang of technopirate friends, Chloe helps Paul not only take revenge on his former employers, but also extort a small fortune from them in the process. What more could a re...more
Published March 1st 2008 by PM Press (first published 2006)

Patrick DiJusto
At first you think, well, this is just some Cory Doctorow YA ripoff: young nerd boy, at the moment of a crisis in his life, accidentally meets up with Manic Pixie Hacker Dream Girl who takes him out of his shell, shows him a better life of communal living away from the rat race, gets him involved in semi-legal (or blatantly illegal) activities that nevertheless free his spirit, until there's the inevitable run-in with the authorities, which gets hairy for a while but which ends with our hero and...more
Patrick
Ocean's Eleven, Reservoir Dogs, Kick-ass, and the Usual Suspects: the four films that come to mind when asked about "G33k Mafia".

This novel follows the story of Paul, a comic-book artist, who after loses his job helps extort a large amount of money from his former employer with the help of a mysterious con-woman called Chloe, as he later joins their crew and their adventures.

Like Ocean's Eleven, this novel jumps right into the action, in which any geek can feel familiar with the crew of charact...more
Michael
G33k Mafia starts out as a "wow i can't believe this could ever happen" type book and begins to melt into a oceans 11 type, fast paced semi-geeky masterpiece. While low on the exact technical details the ideas and characters are plenty geeky but seem to perfect to be real, keeping this book as more of a dream than reality.
With similarities to Little Brother in some aspects, its surprising to realize this was published 2 full years before Little Brother.
Unlike most books, the ending is not rush...more
Jeff Raymond
Giving the writing a 2, but the sheer amount of fun I had reading this a 4.5, I think a 4 is fair.

Paul is getting fired from his job tomorrow. His job is being the creative force behind a pretty big deal of a video game, and the rest of the top-level guys want him out. Paul ends up meeting Chloe at the Mexican restaurant he's hiding out in, and suddenly Paul is in the middle of a massive con to try and get what he's truly owed from the company.

Thus begins the wild ride that is Geek Mafia. The pl...more
Britt☮
Oct 26, 2009 Britt☮ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: computer/comic book/video game geeks, fans of thrillers
I was hesitant to give this book four stars. Don't get me wrong — the story was great (creative plot, interesting characters and edge-of-your-seat suspense, all building up to a thrilling and unpredictable ending), and I'll probably read the sequel, but for Pete's sake, hire a freaking copy editor! This book is riddled with errors — I mean, playing a "roll"? Come on. The incorrect homophones, missing punctuation, repeated passage and other errors made me want to rip my hair out. The four-star ra...more
Kynan
I found this to be quite the page turner, causing me a couple of late nights 'cause I REALLY wanted to know what happened next. It's a relatively, well, OK, somewhat plausible crime thriller set nowish (early 2000s) in Silicon Valley.

Technology plays a major role in the assorted escapades but the details of the hacking, both physical and logical, are mostly glossed over. This means that there aren't any technical hurdles to trip on and it didn't head down the crazy leet-speak path like Zero Day....more
Candis
A fun combination of geek/heist/anti-establishment/love story/community that turns much of what would be predictable in the narrative into the opposite. Only con? It's pretty "dude" in the geek/heist/anti-establishment/love story/community kind of way, and that (unfortunately) IS completely - and perpetually - predicatable.
Steve
You will have to learn to ignore all of the typos and mistakes in this book. I think they tried to save money on proofreading. That being said, the book is very good, especially for someone in the tech industry.
Tim Brown
This was pretty good, but if you know about computers you might want to suspend your disbelief a little bit.
Trevor Mcpherson
For subject matter, character, and pacing, thumbs up

I enjoyed the brisk, Elmore Leonard-esque prose. The dialogue was genuine to the demographic presented, and moved the action along well. The pacing kept me flipping (ok, swiping - Ebook, doncha know) pages well after bedtime. This is a quick, light read, and after coming on the heels of Rucker's Tetralogy and Stross' Accelreando, was a much appreciated break from idea and concept heavy reads

Proofing and editing, thumbs down.

I can forgive the oc...more
Stonemagpie
terpkristin
Geek Mafia, or as the book cover has it, G33K Mafia, is a techno-thriller that while being incredibly predictable, was also kind of fun to read. It was in no way particularly innovative. The print edition that I read was in serious need of copy editing (there were many typos and at one point even character names were wrong!). And frankly, everything from the initial con to the final line was formulaic at best and could be seen coming from a mile away. And for all those flaws, it was still fun to...more
Artnoose Noose
I had heard such a glowing review of this book that I even carried it in my distro without having read it. I finally got around to reading it, and I'm kind of surprised how mediocre it is. To be fair, I just read a Neal Stephenson novel, and those are big shoes to fill. Neal Stephenson also writes suspenseful stories with technological bases, but the difference is that he's actually a good writer.

This is a con story though, and those are often pretty exciting. I like con/heist movies, and this s...more
Keith
It always amazes me that there is such an vast gap between professional and amateur writing. There is a decent idea here, but it would have benefitted a great deal from an editor and a few revisions. LESS is definitely more. The characters are inconsistent, and the dialogue between them is plain awful, cliched, unauthentic, uninteresting and at times, lacking any semblance of conflict. The protagonist is the weakest I have ever read, and instead of driving the story, gets dragged around by his j...more
Ryan
I'm not going to lie; one of my main motivations for reading this book was knowing that I could get a free copy of it as an ebook from the author's website. I mean, it also seemed to have some interesting subject matter, but that ease of accessibility pushed me over the edge, and gave me a chance to read it over the Christmas holiday. And I'm really glad I did.[return]Depending on the type of person that you are, the ideas of "fraud", "graft", "comic book back-issue pricing", and "political dona...more
Tony
Inspired by his own firing from a Silicon Valley gaming company, Dakan has written a fun, breezy tale of revenge and con-artistry in the '00s. Paul is an indie comic-book creator who heafs out West to try and turn his Eisner-winning world into a computer game. However, in the opening pages, we meet him as he is kicked to the curb by his friends/partners. Conveniently, he soon meets an alluring young woman who offers the prospect of financial and karmic revenge against his backstabbing, intellect...more
Shasi _249
enjoyed every part of the book.... especially towards the end where evry knot is untied and every picture falls into its place.It's a story of a comic artist Paul, who is fired from a company where he is a partner along with his friend. They dont tell him the proper reason though. Depressed, he goes a bar where he meets a girl . The actual story starts here. How he comes over evrything (does he really do??)with the help of chloe..He breaks up with his frineds .. hang aroung with chloe... her per...more
Robo Pete
Jul 17, 2010 Robo Pete rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Geeks, nerds, pop-culture afficionados
Shelves: suffix-punk, indie
Geekpunk?

So it's a sort of Ocean's 11 but with l33t haxorz and technie nerds? Hustle with comics? Loaded with great characters, tonnes of pop-culture references and a plot full of crosses and double crosses and crosses of the double crosses and romance! What more could you want. Written in a relaxed, easygoing flowing style I raced through the pages and couldn't wait to find out who would come out on top as twists and turns played out and the ideas kept coming.

There are some great set pieces, so...more
Russ
Not my usual genre but I was intrigued by Cory Doctorow's recommendation and took a chance. As it turns out, I really enjoyed the book. If you enjoy detective novels you might want to branch out and give this a try.

While I haven't read many caper-type books (think Oceans 11), this book seems to be a good example. The characters were interesting and while some of the twists were well signed, others were surprising.

The writing style is reasonable and the pacing is good. There are a few times wher...more
Aimee
Geek Mafia is a quick read about a video game designer turned outlaw. When Paul is basically forced out of a company he helped start, he "happens upon" a con woman who leads him quickly from getting revenge against his own nemesis to going after big dollar game. Paul's new adventure turns from fun and exciting to incredibly dangerous, with plenty of plot twists to keep it exciting.

In the end, this is clearly a geek fantasy written by a geek. Nerdy gamer type encounters gorgeous babe who is also...more
Nefimp
I found I loved this book. I wasn't sure I would at first. However I was hooked from the first couple if pages.
Judy
I didn't want to put this one down. I loved it for it's twists & turns, and the fact that I had no idea what was going to happen next.
Michael McGreevy
An engaging read with an interesting back story. The writer was one of the developers for City of Heroes, and the main character for the story seems to have an eerily similar history. Dakan insists that he parted with Cryptic on good terms and that his story is all fiction, but I have to wonder if there isn't some lingering bitterness there.

While needing a bit of editorial oversight the story was engaging and I am interested enough to perhaps pick up the s...more
Caroline
Amazing!!! A superb storyline not to mention the silver lining
Thomas Haverkamp
A fun book to read with a high pace of events. A wonderful plot about a group of geeks trying to make a living their way.
Andrea
A great read! It's got twists and turns, smart funny characters, intelligent cons and brilliant outrages committed against America's rich right wing, a mix of cool technology, suspicion, courage, politics and love...who could ask for more from a novel? You don't even have to be a geek to love it, the fast-paced well-plotted story carries the technology along for a ride rather than the other way round. Read it.
Robert Wilson
Nov 05, 2012 Robert Wilson rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers interested in geek culture and con artists
Recommended to Robert by: Boing Boing
Shelves: ebooks
This book is self published and has a lot of typos and grammatical issues. That said, the plot was pretty good and the pace was terrific. I'm certain that other reviews will go into the plot in detail (because that's what people here seem to want to do for some reason) so I will just say it's about a somewhat regular guy's entrance into the world of con artists. Why? For a girl, of course.
Michael
A fast paced roller-coaster of a read. Action packed, ready for a screen-play material. Yet it's missing something. I found much of the plot a little sophomoric, silly at times. The book deals with a rag-tag crew of Silicon Valley, uber-geek, con-[wo]men. I found the cons somewhat lacking. I was expecting a Usual Suspects type of cleverness, I didn't get it here.
Moxie Marlinspike
Sep 28, 2008 Moxie Marlinspike rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hackers, wanna-be dropouts, aspiring criminals
This is very close to the book that I've been wanting to see for a long time. It's more "graphic designer becomes con artist" than "programmer becomes hacker," but a lot of the same ingredients are there. The writing is a little indulgent at times, and is almost reminiscent of a comic book in that way, but the story is addictive.
Lucas
This book follows the relationship between a geeky guy and a girl who leads a group of geeks who use their skills to provide for themselves and live as they choose (off the grid). A really interesting concept in general. For some reason, I am not remembering this book as favorably as I could be, though I am not sure why at the moment.
  • How To Disappear Completely
  • The Infinite Sea (The Chaos Chronicles, #3)
  • Everyone in Silico
  • Moonshine (Mystic Valley, #1)
  • Star Dragon
  • Postsingular
  • Brain Twister
  • Under the Amoral Bridge (The Bridge Chronicles, #1)
  • MetaGame
  • Metrophage
  • Christmas Hookup
  • That One Night in Vegas
  • Mothers & Other Monsters: Stories
Geek Mafia: Mile Zero Geek Mafia: Black Hat Blues The Cthulhu Cult Back East: The North (Deadlands: The Weird West) Children O' The Atom (Deadlands: Hell On Earth)