Start by marking “Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It” as Want to Read:
Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It

Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Published (first published 1959)

Lesley
A fantastic first person narrative about the early part of Ms. West's career. Her signature one liners and frank conversation about her life are the stuff of legend. Her ability and willingness to take on the censorship of her early work is amazing. I really appreciated learning more about her vaudeville beginnings. Her comedy and sensitivity to her audience's appetites made her a success both on stage and behind the curtain.

But it's her open and candid treatment of taboo topics is what put her
Kris
4 STARS

"This autobiography traces Mae West's indulged Brooklyn childhood, through vaudeville success, a stage career which landed her in jail for the outspokenness of her lines, to spectacular Hollywood stardom. Witty and honest, she remained in control of her life, her career and her many, many loves." (From Amazon)

I picked this up at a local book store for $2 and it was more than worth the price. A great memoir and as honest as one can be. Mae West is cheeky and bold.
Grania
Sep 11, 2007 Grania rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Busty blondes
Shelves: loved-it
Wise as well as witty. I learned from this book to start lying about your age early. While I enjoy Ms Wests rampant sense of her own financial value, and healthy interest in her box office returns, the bit where she advocates a project she is investing in, is a wee bit too mercenary. and 80 years too late.
Stefanie
Mae West should be every woman's idol. Though the prose isn't perfect at every turn, if you want to learn anything about the amazingly prolific, talented, and self-assured Mae West, this is a fun and revealing read. I learned a lot from her.
Janet Keeten
I thought this would be spicier. I was hoping for more Hollywood dishing. However, she was an amazing woman. She deserved a better autobiography.
Samantha Glasser
Mae West was a star of the stage who successfully transitioned to films. Her appearances in My Little Chickadee, She Done Him Wrong, and I'm No Angel are unforgettable and entertaining. Her uber-sexual personality and wry delivery of clever dialogue have inspired characatures for decades.

This is her story, written in 1959 and obviously meant to boost a naturally diminishing career. While she is frank about her many love affairs, the storytelling is somewhat sanitized by the constrants of the er
Juli
Mae West has got to be the most quotable woman ever read. She is bold and unapologetic, and I loved her. There is no bending of her will, which I found both abrasive and endearing. I sometimes wondered how much was bluster, but it was fun to take it at face value.

I was surprised to find her referencing the Kinsey Report, which was published about five years before this book. Using his research as a premise, she's done nothing "abnormal" - she just lived out the urges that Kinsey says are common
captain america
mae west does a great job at promoting mae west. oh. wait. that's all she's ever done, really. mildly entertaining.
Bfmc Spook
I'd hit it...
Andrea
I love this book and this woman. She really was a pioneer for women and their personal freedom.
She talks of the Brooklyn streets where she was raised and the backstage of Vaudville and Broadway when they were the peak of entertainment. She is a wit and had control of her own world all the way into Vegas and Television.
Brent
I was always intrigue about Mae West being the "bad" girl. What surprised me about Mae is that she wrote many screen plays and acted in them. I would probably rather read an biography than an autobiography because it seemed so self indulging
Jamie
I'm so sad to finish this book. I SO enjoyed reading it. Mae West was certainly a pioneer and a woman WAY ahead of her time. It reads slightly as a brag book, but one I'd say is well deserved.
Arsenio Peraza
I enjoyed reading this book. Mae West new what she wanted and would not be denied she was well ahead of he time in Hollywood.
Sarah Hackley
I love Mae West - her writing, her movies, her plays - but I was expecting more than what this book offered.
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Heidi Brown Lynn
Heidi Brown Lynn marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Edwin Chama
Edwin Chama marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
April Sky
April Sky marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Saficakharkongor
Saficakharkongor marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Reginald Blakey
Reginald Blakey marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Andreia Alexandre
Andreia Alexandre marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
James C.
James C. marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Pallavi Gupta
Pallavi Gupta marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
  • 'Tis Herself
  • The Grace Kelly Years: Princess of Monaco
  • Ava: My Story
  • Dangerous Men: Pre-Code Hollywood and the Birth of the Modern Man
Mae West (August 17, 1893 – November 22, 1980) was an American actress, playwright, screenwriter, and sex symbol.

Famous for her bawdy double entendres, West made a name for herself in vaudeville and on the stage in New York before moving to Hollywood to become a comedian, actress and writer in the motion picture industry.

One of the most controversial stars of her day, West encountered many problem
More about Mae West...
Three Plays by Mae West: Sex / The Drag / The Pleasure Man Wit & Wisdom of Mae West The Constant Sinner (Modern Classics, 400) She Done Him Wrong (Virago Modern Classics) Mae West On Sex, Health and E.S.P.

“A man in the house is worth two on the street.” 27 likes