Start by marking “Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It” as Want to Read:
Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It

Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Published (first published 1959)

White Heat by Autumn Jones LakeEntwined by Phoenyx SlaughterBuilt by Jay CrownoverThe Score by Elle KennedyLove is in the Air by Kelly Moran
MY 2016 TBR`S
161st out of 234 books — 77 voters
Bossypants by Tina FeyTrue Hollywood Noir by Dina Di MambroStories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob LoweIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingConfessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim
Best Show Business Memoirs/Biographies
167th out of 204 books — 264 voters

More lists with this book...

Lesley
Nov 18, 2014 Lesley rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
A fantastic first person narrative about the early part of Ms. West's career. Her signature one liners and frank conversation about her life are the stuff of legend. Her ability and willingness to take on the censorship of her early work is amazing. I really appreciated learning more about her vaudeville beginnings. Her comedy and sensitivity to her audience's appetites made her a success both on stage and behind the curtain.

But it's her open and candid treatment of taboo topics is what put her
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Feb 11, 2015 Kris - My Novelesque Life rated it really liked it
4 STARS

"This autobiography traces Mae West's indulged Brooklyn childhood, through vaudeville success, a stage career which landed her in jail for the outspokenness of her lines, to spectacular Hollywood stardom. Witty and honest, she remained in control of her life, her career and her many, many loves." (From Amazon)

I picked this up at a local book store for $2 and it was more than worth the price. A great memoir and as honest as one can be. Mae West is cheeky and bold.
Grania
Sep 11, 2007 Grania rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Busty blondes
Shelves: loved-it
Wise as well as witty. I learned from this book to start lying about your age early. While I enjoy Ms Wests rampant sense of her own financial value, and healthy interest in her box office returns, the bit where she advocates a project she is investing in, is a wee bit too mercenary. and 80 years too late.
Stefanie
May 19, 2013 Stefanie rated it liked it
Mae West should be every woman's idol. Though the prose isn't perfect at every turn, if you want to learn anything about the amazingly prolific, talented, and self-assured Mae West, this is a fun and revealing read. I learned a lot from her.
Janet Keeten
Oct 04, 2013 Janet Keeten rated it liked it
I thought this would be spicier. I was hoping for more Hollywood dishing. However, she was an amazing woman. She deserved a better autobiography.
Tyler Jones
Mar 12, 2016 Tyler Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: gender
Wonderful, witty and wise, West was ahead of her time in her refusal to be hemmed in by social expectation. She loved life and loved being a woman. She loved men, but didn't them push her around. The pattern in her affairs with the unfairer sex always seems to begin with mutual infatuation and end when the poor slob becomes a whimpering, besotted ninny that West cannot stand being around anymore. Most importantly she was a great defender of human rights. Today she is remembered as a slinking sex ...more
Becki Iverson
Sep 03, 2015 Becki Iverson rated it it was amazing
I never knew much about Mae West so this landed randomly on my list but WOW am I so glad I read it! The writing style is so engaging and kitschy, much like West herself. She has such a unique voice, and especially unique experiences for the time in which she lived. West would be today's feminists' dreamchild - there has been so much talk about changing Hollywood, and West has already solved that problem. There are no parts you like? Simple: prove how much money you can make in films, then write ...more
Samantha Glasser
May 20, 2015 Samantha Glasser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies, non-fiction
Mae West was a star of the stage who successfully transitioned to films. Her appearances in My Little Chickadee, She Done Him Wrong, and I'm No Angel are unforgettable and entertaining. Her uber-sexual personality and wry delivery of clever dialogue have inspired characatures for decades.

This is her story, written in 1959 and obviously meant to boost a naturally diminishing career. While she is frank about her many love affairs, the storytelling is somewhat sanitized by the constrants of the er
Juli
Mae West has got to be the most quotable woman ever read. She is bold and unapologetic, and I loved her. There is no bending of her will, which I found both abrasive and endearing. I sometimes wondered how much was bluster, but it was fun to take it at face value.

I was surprised to find her referencing the Kinsey Report, which was published about five years before this book. Using his research as a premise, she's done nothing "abnormal" - she just lived out the urges that Kinsey says are common
Tami
Sep 03, 2015 Tami rated it it was amazing
This is another book I love reading. She was such a larger than life iconic figure. The book is her view of her life. It brings her more to life and gives a better understanding of the events in her life. She is such a great inspiration to people as she appeared to have the self confidence all of us need. I love reading this book over and over.
Samir
Oct 21, 2015 Samir rated it liked it
She tells a great story. But the writing can be clunky in places. The pace is a bit sluggish...takes a while to get off the ground, though once it does the pros have a quick quip. She will definitely have you laughing out loud at times throughout the book.
captain america
Feb 11, 2014 captain america rated it liked it
mae west does a great job at promoting mae west. oh. wait. that's all she's ever done, really. mildly entertaining.
Bfmc Spook
Nov 15, 2014 Bfmc Spook rated it really liked it
I'd hit it...
Andrea
Jul 09, 2009 Andrea rated it it was amazing
I love this book and this woman. She really was a pioneer for women and their personal freedom.
She talks of the Brooklyn streets where she was raised and the backstage of Vaudville and Broadway when they were the peak of entertainment. She is a wit and had control of her own world all the way into Vegas and Television.
Brent
Aug 26, 2009 Brent rated it it was ok
I was always intrigue about Mae West being the "bad" girl. What surprised me about Mae is that she wrote many screen plays and acted in them. I would probably rather read an biography than an autobiography because it seemed so self indulging
Jamie
Jun 10, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs-n-bios
I'm so sad to finish this book. I SO enjoyed reading it. Mae West was certainly a pioneer and a woman WAY ahead of her time. It reads slightly as a brag book, but one I'd say is well deserved.
Arsenio Peraza
Feb 24, 2013 Arsenio Peraza rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. Mae West new what she wanted and would not be denied she was well ahead of he time in Hollywood.
Sarah Hackley
May 10, 2009 Sarah Hackley rated it it was ok
I love Mae West - her writing, her movies, her plays - but I was expecting more than what this book offered.
Stacy
Catherine2
Catherine2 marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Sol
Sol marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Lori Ann Lindsey
Lori Ann Lindsey rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Pratish
Pratish marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Holi Bats
Holi Bats marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Tanya
Tanya added it
Apr 07, 2016
Josephine Bien
Josephine Bien marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
  • Edith Head's Hollywood
  • Life Is Too Short
  • Self-Portrait
  • Greta Garbo: A Cinematic Legacy
  • The Golden Girls of MGM: Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Lana Turner, Judy Garland, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly, and Others
  • Ginger: My Story
  • Bombshell: The Life and Death of Jean Harlow
  • Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud
  • Rock Hudson: His Story
  • Garbo
Mae West (August 17, 1893 – November 22, 1980) was an American actress, playwright, screenwriter, and sex symbol.

Famous for her bawdy double entendres, West made a name for herself in vaudeville and on the stage in New York before moving to Hollywood to become a comedian, actress and writer in the motion picture industry.

One of the most controversial stars of her day, West encountered many problem
More about Mae West...