Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It

Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This autobiography traces Mae West's indulged Brooklyn childhood, through vaudeville success, a stage career which landed her in jail for the outspokenness of her lines, to spectacular Hollywood stardom. Witty and honest, she remained in control of her life, her career and her many, many loves.
Published (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It

Grania
Sep 11, 2007 Grania rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Busty blondes
Shelves: loved-it
Wise as well as witty. I learned from this book to start lying about your age early. While I enjoy Ms Wests rampant sense of her own financial value, and healthy interest in her box office returns, the bit where she advocates a project she is investing in, is a wee bit too mercenary. and 80 years too late.
Stefanie
Mae West should be every woman's idol. Though the prose isn't perfect at every turn, if you want to learn anything about the amazingly prolific, talented, and self-assured Mae West, this is a fun and revealing read. I learned a lot from her.
Juli
Mae West has got to be the most quotable woman ever read. She is bold and unapologetic, and I loved her. There is no bending of her will, which I found both abrasive and endearing. I sometimes wondered how much was bluster, but it was fun to take it at face value.

I was surprised to find her referencing the Kinsey Report, which was published about five years before this book. Using his research as a premise, she's done nothing "abnormal" - she just lived out the urges that Kinsey says are common...more
captain america
mae west does a great job at promoting mae west. oh. wait. that's all she's ever done, really. mildly entertaining.
Andrea
I love this book and this woman. She really was a pioneer for women and their personal freedom.
She talks of the Brooklyn streets where she was raised and the backstage of Vaudville and Broadway when they were the peak of entertainment. She is a wit and had control of her own world all the way into Vegas and Television.
Brent
I was always intrigue about Mae West being the "bad" girl. What surprised me about Mae is that she wrote many screen plays and acted in them. I would probably rather read an biography than an autobiography because it seemed so self indulging
Jamie
I'm so sad to finish this book. I SO enjoyed reading it. Mae West was certainly a pioneer and a woman WAY ahead of her time. It reads slightly as a brag book, but one I'd say is well deserved.
Janet Keeten
I thought this would be spicier. I was hoping for more Hollywood dishing. However, she was an amazing woman. She deserved a better autobiography.
Arsenio Peraza
I enjoyed reading this book. Mae West new what she wanted and would not be denied she was well ahead of he time in Hollywood.
Sarah Hackley
I love Mae West - her writing, her movies, her plays - but I was expecting more than what this book offered.
Jessie Fozzard
Jessie Fozzard marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Courtney Campbell
Courtney Campbell marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Lyubima Petrova
Lyubima Petrova marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Jennifer Hulbert
Jennifer Hulbert marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Élisabeth
Élisabeth marked it as to-read
Vasu Edamshetty
Vasu Edamshetty marked it as to-read
Mishe
Mishe marked it as to-read
Gloria
Gloria added it
Aug 14, 2014
Antonia Fereira
Antonia Fereira marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Jing Jing
Jing Jing marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Claudia Salazar
Claudia Salazar marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Uhunmwangho Omoregbee
Uhunmwangho Omoregbee marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
lolya
lolya marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
La Viajera de Libros
La Viajera de Libros marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
  • Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories
  • By Myself and Then Some
  • Lettin it All Hang Out: An Autobiography
  • If This Was Happiness: A Biography of Rita Hayworth
Mae West (August 17, 1893 – November 22, 1980) was an American actress, playwright, screenwriter, and sex symbol.

Famous for her bawdy double entendres, West made a name for herself in vaudeville and on the stage in New York before moving to Hollywood to become a comedian, actress and writer in the motion picture industry.

One of the most controversial stars of her day, West encountered many problem...more
More about Mae West...
Three Plays by Mae West: Sex / The Drag / The Pleasure Man Wit & Wisdom of Mae West The Constant Sinner (Modern Classics, 400) She Done Him Wrong (Virago Modern Classics) Mae West On Sex, Health and E.S.P.

“A man in the house is worth two on the street.” 19 likes