Start by marking “Hood / Scarlet / Tuck (King Raven Trilogy #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Hood / Scarlet / Tuck (King Raven Trilogy #1-3)

Hood / Scarlet / Tuck (King Raven #1-3)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  518 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Box Set Trilogy
Hood
Scarlet
Tuck
Published October 1st 2009 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hood / Scarlet / Tuck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hood / Scarlet / Tuck

Alex Telander
Jan 29, 2013 Alex Telander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen R. Lawhead’s Robin Hood trilogy – Hood (2006), Scarlet (2007), and Tuck (2009) – received much acclaim and became big bestsellers when they were released, as he presented one of the more complete and superior epic tales of this forest hero and his band of merry men. In 2011, for those looking to read the trilogy for the first time, or for those hardcore fans, Thomas Nelson released all three books in a single mighty volume, allowing readers to put it up on their shelf next to their copie ...more
Tom Lambrecht
Jan 27, 2015 Tom Lambrecht rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Lawhead's writing. Here, he re-imagines the Robin Hood legend in a specific Welsh historical setting. The characters are well developed. The plot is interesting. The motivation of Robin Hood is justice, for which he will give his life and in pursuit of which he will never give up. The progress of the books is unflagging and the conclusion highly satisfying.
The Wanderer
Jan 12, 2016 The Wanderer rated it really liked it
This trilogy was fun and gritty at the same time. I appreciate Lawhead's prose and creativity. It's definitely not a traditional Robin Hood story, so if you have a preconceived idea of what it should be, you'll probably be disappointed. If, on the other hand, you enjoy watching some poor sucker get betrayed over and over and over again, this is the trilogy for you. Seriously. Bran just needs a hug!

There are some annoying issues (especially with the second book) like trying to keep track of who s
Josiah DeGraaf
Very unique re-telling of the story of Robin Hood. A lot of the time, I felt like the story wasn't progressing much, however, until the last book when a final resolution is actually reached. I enjoyed the series when reading through it, but I feel like, as a series, it could have been reworked so that a lot of the plot advances were more meaningful (both Book I and Book II end with Hood discovering that everything he thought would make them gain freedom wouldn't work at all, so that most events ...more
Gary
Aug 30, 2014 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while a book comes along that doesn't quite fit in a five star rating system. King Raven is one of those.... six stars at least. It is a retelling of an age-old story, but what a retelling.

I didn't realize that I was reading a re-imagining of Robin Hood, so I missed the inference to the first character. But at the introduction of characters two and three I could hardly wait to see how he introduced the main protagonist. Not to be disappointed. In addition to the wonderful story
Pamela Berkman
May 13, 2013 Pamela Berkman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this. Lawhead definitely has a fresh and original take on Robin Hood. Bran ap Brychan, who will become Rhi Bran (King Bran) y Hud, and eventually metamorphose into Robin Hood, is a classic hero character who begins the trilogy as something of a rogue and has to mature and grow to accept the leadership and responsibility that is his fate. Each book has a just-surprising-enough plot twist at the end, which makes for a satisfactory reading experience. The romance between Bran and Lawhea ...more
Chad Jansma
Oct 02, 2015 Chad Jansma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story of Robin Hood like you've never heard before

I recommend this telling of the classic story you thought you knew. First of all the tale takes place in Wales and your hero's name is Bran. Bran is attempting to claim his rightful place as king of Elfael that was taken from him. While attempting to reclaim his kingdom him and his followers live in the forest. It is almost like Robin Hood meets Game of Thrones. This is a book series of books that will grab a hold of you and won't let go.
Alana Bleness
Jul 23, 2014 Alana Bleness rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent historic fiction! I loved his theory that the actually Robin Hood was a Welshman resisting the Norman invasion. Each book is written in a different character's voice, which lent some interesting perspective to the story, although at first it seemed like an odd idea.
Nicholas
Jul 02, 2014 Nicholas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*SPOILERS*
~
Thus ends my journey with Rhi Bran y Hud.

I very much enjoyed the book, and this will definitely stay in my library.

The only grievance I have is that the ending of Tuck was just a bit anticlimactic.

Rhi Bran regained the Throne of Elfael, but the author spent most of 'Tuck', Book Three of the Trilogy, leading me to believe a massive battle was coming. In chapter 41, the last chapter before the Epilogue, King William sued for peace.

Other than that little Grievance, I enjoyed thi
Luke Heath
Nov 12, 2014 Luke Heath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful. Lawhead really can spin a tale. His historical background plays such an important role in his stories that they add an extra dimension to the fabric of his stories. One of my favorite authors.
Susan
Jul 04, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This enjoyable trilogy sets the story of Robin Hood in Wales in the first generation after the Norman Conquest. The problem with any version of this hero’s story is giving a thief legitimacy. This version makes the protagonist, King Bran (in Welsh, Rhi Bran), a prince driven from his birthright by the invading Normans. It portrays his followers as dispossessed and desperate rather than a band of merry rogues. In general it is well-researched (in spite of an unfortunate reference to the Black Dea ...more
Carolynmc
Jul 27, 2014 Carolynmc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this adventure in the Greenwood. Didn't realize I had started a trilogy when reading the first book, Hood. But well worth it.
Patricia Blinn mckay
How can anyone ever resist a Robin Hood novel?

Anything Stephen R. Lawhead writes seems to be a work of art. He writes intelligent novels for people who like to read stories of substance and historical fiction.

I strongly recommend this series to any one 6th grade - 100 years old. My nephew read it at our home while in 5th grade on several occasions just because of the humor and adventure.

It is a new twist on Robin Hood -- anything you ever thought you knew from legend or prior novels has to be th
Mary Hesler
Nov 08, 2015 Mary Hesler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Lawhead did an excellent job adapting the story of Robin Hood to Wales.
Zoe
Interesting approach to the story. Don't think the individual books would stand very well on their own. The story is a solid four stars, with the storytelling getting better and better in each book. The formatting/proof reading is terrible, especially in the first and second books. At times I felt like I was correcting a student paper, with up to ten errors in a page. It really tanked my enjoyment of the story in parts but I'm glad I finished since it got so much better. A publisher would never ...more
Brendi
Feb 03, 2016 Brendi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best Robin Hood series I've read
Jacob Brown
Sep 25, 2014 Jacob Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fantasy novels
Awesome books
Luci
Sep 12, 2012 Luci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first undertaking by Lawhead and I have to admit I was impressed. He kept the story interesting by switching narrators and the language was easy and unfettered as he developed the story to its end. I would definitely recommend this as an appropriate book to read in school. The religion in it is not overbearing but appropriate in places. I was happy to see how he developed the tale of Bran and put his own spin on the legends.
Darryl
Aug 21, 2012 Darryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Lawhead never ceases to amaze and delight with his take on traditional tales. This reworking of the Robin Hood (Ry Bran the Hud)tale is a masterpiece. I think he comes closer to the original tales of Harrod the Wake from what I have heard of them. This takes place in Wales during the early years of the Norman conquest rather than during Kings Richard and John and Nottingham. But as you read, it will make infinitely more sense!
LadyCroft86
This book was OK. The plot was a little slow moving for me in the beginning but the last book was very exciting and moved faster. It was interesting to see Robin Hood in a different light and in a different time. This book wasn't amazing, but it was entertaining. If you liked this book, I would recommend the Pendragon Cycle also by Stephen R. Lawhead, those books are amazing.
Jan 29, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robin-hood
As a huge Robin Hood fan I admit, it took me a few hundred pages to get used to the name Rhi Bran instead of Robin. And the fact that the books are set in Wales instead of Nottingham and the Sherwood Forest.

But I really grew to love the books. Lawhead has described a world so real it really makes you wonder, if the tale of Robin Hood has its roots in Wales after all.
Eric Roberts
Stephan R. Lawhead did not fail to deliver yet another masterfully written piece on a folklore favorite, Robin Hood. He adds a lot of historical perspective at what may be the origin of the legend at what their reality may have been. Great read for folklorist and folks who enjoy historical fiction and tales of legendary figures. I highly recommend this series.
Brad Kirk
Dec 27, 2013 Brad Kirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally finished it! For some reason I quit reading this about 150 pages into Tuck, the final book in the King Raven trilogy. Glad I finally got around to finishing it. All three of these books are enjoyable and they provide a great alternate telling of the Robin Hood tale we all know so well. Worth the read, for sure.
Danielle
Jul 10, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
very interesting take on robin hood.
Michael Smith
A compilation of three books, Hood, Scarlet and Tuck. I have reviewed each of the three individually below:

Hood: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Scarlet: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Tuck: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Jennifer Parker
Jul 06, 2014 Jennifer Parker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this series a lot. A twist on robin hood that I found interesting. The audio book was also done well as I see witch between reading and listening for this series. I would read it again probably down the road.
Tracy
May 23, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book. All the books went well together and it was easy to imagine everything going on. Some parts of the book were a little boring but once you got through it it picked up again and got interesting.
Clivemichael
Masterful storytelling. History comes alive, a wonderful reconstruction of the roots of this legend. The spirit and determination of the invaded shines like a sword flashing in the sun at the edge of the forest.
Yankey
Nov 19, 2013 Yankey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I kick myself for picking up a retelling. I thought this was unnecessary and not engaging enough for me to warrant the re-scripting of the Robin Hood legend.
Ashley
Apr 04, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hood, the first book was a bit slow and didn't really grab my attention until near the end, but both Scarlet and Tuck were very good.
  • Kingdom Hearts II, Vol. 5
  • Hodd
  • The Seraph Seal
  • Brave Young Knight
  • A Story as Sharp as a Knife: The Classical Haida Mythtellers and Their World
  • The Throne of Fire: The Graphic Novel  (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • The Kitchen Knight: A Tale of King Arthur
  • The Five Stages of Collapse: Laying the Groundwork for Social, Political, and Economic Revolution
  • Bay of Spirits: a Love Story
  • The Mercy Falls Collection: The Lightkeeper's Daughter / The Lightkeeper's Bride / The Lightkeeper's Ball (Mercy Falls #1-3)
  • Torpedo Run
  • Castle: How It Works
  • The World is Moving Around Me: A Memoir of the Haiti Earthquake
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Needle’s Eye:The World's Greatest Detective Tackles the Bible's Ultimate Mysteries
  • Leonardo da Vinci
  • Sir Cumference and the Viking's Map
  • Sails on the Horizon: A Novel of the Napoleonic Wars
  • People I Wanted to Be
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...

King Raven (3 books)
  • Hood (King Raven, #1)
  • Scarlet (King Raven, #2)
  • Tuck (King Raven, #3)

“Alas, words were but empty things, devoid of power and all too easily broken, discarded, and forgotten.” 0 likes