Start by marking “Carjacked: The Culture of the Automobile and Its Effect on Our Lives” as Want to Read:
Carjacked: The Culture of the Automobile and Its Effect on Our Lives

Carjacked: The Culture of the Automobile and Its Effect on Our Lives

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Carjacked is an in-depth look at our obsession with cars. While the automobile's contribution to global warming and the effects of volatile gas prices is widely known, the problems we face every day because of our cars are much more widespread and yet much less known -- from the surprising $14,000 that the average family pays each year for the vehicles it owns, to the incr ...more
Published January 5th 2010 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Carjacked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carjacked

Minli
Mar 13, 2011 Minli rated it really liked it
The best book I read this week was the non-fiction book, Carjacked. Having been a fan of Catherine Lutz’s academic works, I found Carjacked to be an interesting and successful collaboration with her sister, Anne Lutz Fernandez. As a matter of fact, I couldn’t imagine a better platform to write about America’s entrenched love affair with car culture than an anthropologist and a former corporate executive.

I’ll be upfront: my reading Carjacked was like preaching to the choir. I’ve been telling my f
Sep 11, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
Recommends it for: car owners, car dreamers
Shelves: 2010, thesis
This book is more of a 3.5/5 star read. Not quite a four, but really above average. I purchased this book after going to a talk by the authors. They made a convincing case for their argument that North American car culture needs to be reformed. I think that the most interesting part of this book, the part that really made me analyze my own values, was the discussion of advertising and cars as a status symbol. Though I drive a late '90s model Toyota Tercel that doesn't even have power windows (an ...more
Ed
Jun 16, 2010 Ed rated it liked it
As one who found his or her wheels relatively late in the game I was pleased to see a book that would DARE to critique our car culture. Often paid lip service to...waste of gas, too lazy to walk, three car household...yeah, it's a necessary tool is someways, but it also makes tools of some of us because we have lost touch with our sole meeting the pavement on a spring day. Do we need a car? Check your VIN number at the door, flick through the Dewey Decimation System, and put the pedal to the met ...more
Julia Flath
Aug 20, 2014 Julia Flath rated it liked it
cars are dangerous and terrible and no one ever thinks about it but this book does
Alan Cunningham
This is a meticulousy researched and interviewed paean to the compelling power of the car. The authors spend the last 10% of the book suggesting alternatives to using the car quite so much, but the star of this book is overwhelmingly the car in traffic.

I did appreciate much of the researched information herein, though. I had never seen an estimate of the number of parking spaces (105 million) or the average time spent in a car (18.5 hours a week). These are great stats. I just wish the authors h
Betsy McGee
Ok, so this is an interesting book. Interesting, yes...life-altering, no...well, at least not for me.

While I will say that this book takes a (figurative and literally) heavy topic and makes it approachable, this just wasn't a book I enjoyed. There are some great points, but for me, personally, nothing was ground-breaking...it is far too general for that. That being said, this could be a great book for book clubs or beginning environmentalists/social activists to jump start their dialogue.
Frederick Bingham
Jan 01, 2012 Frederick Bingham rated it liked it
This book is about the automobile and how it has shaped American culture and society. Of course, nothing it says about cars is positive. Cars affect our health, social life, economy, etc., all in a negative way. The authors send special venom towards the auto industry, which sells cars with marketing that masks all the bad things that they do. It makes me want to sell my car and move to a city where I can live without one.
Hardeep
Sep 08, 2010 Hardeep rated it liked it
Sorta timely read... Been considering trading in Manpreets VW Passat for a small diesel. But author argues that since over 50% of emissions/pollutants from a car are from the manufacturing process, keeping the older car is better!!! Had no idea? Quite an interesting book.
Brian
Aug 16, 2010 Brian rated it it was amazing
Goes into detail on every facet of the automobile's effect upon the American lifestyle and how it developed the standing it has. Economics, politics, health, all are touched upon and give an excellent breakdown.
Libby
Apr 02, 2010 Libby rated it really liked it
Shelves: policy
Seriously useful reading for anyone who owns a car, drives a car, or occasionally gets in a car.
Andrew
Nov 14, 2011 Andrew rated it did not like it
interesting concept and thesis but reads like an 11th grade essay.
Ian
Sep 23, 2013 Ian rated it really liked it
An illuminating look at how cars affect society.
Andres Villaveces
Andres Villaveces marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
allan nagel
allan nagel rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Stephanie Dooper
Stephanie Dooper rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Halima
Halima marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Vera Marques
Vera Marques marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
LORRAINE
LORRAINE marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2015
Staci Haber
Staci Haber marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Ellen Craft
Ellen Craft rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Shaylih
Shaylih marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Anne Fernandez
May 30, 2015 Anne Fernandez rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »