Start by marking “Helen Keller: Toward the Light” as Want to Read:
Helen Keller: Toward the Light

Helen Keller: Toward the Light

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  16 reviews
From the age of a year and a half, Helen Keller could not hear. She could not see, and she did not speak. She lived in a dark and lonely world—until Annie Sullivan came to teach her. Annie traced letters and words in Helen's hand, and made Helen realize she could "talk" to people. Eager to make up for lost time, Helen threw herself into her studies. She decided to teach ot ...more
Published October 15th 1980 by Yearling (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Helen Keller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Helen Keller

Theresa
Helen Keller by Stewart graff is about learning about the history how helen Keller life was and how she changes the perception of disabilities
Helen Keller is one of the most well-known characters from American history – and deservedly so. Her singular determination to overcome her handicaps teaches us all a lesson in fortitude and courage.

Her Life.

Helen Keller was born on June 27, 1880 to a pair of doting parents. She could see. She could burble and giggle. She could toddle around the house bringing joy and sunshine to those around her. That was before she caught the fever. After her illness she could still stumble around her great pl
HeavyReader
Found!

I have been thinking about this book for quite some time, but I knew I would get nowhere by typing in "Helen Keller." I knew if I did that, I'd get 400 results (hyperbole) and probably wouldn't have the time and patience to wade through all of them to find the one I was looking for. Also, if there was no image of the cover of the book, I'd never even know if I came across the book I was looking for.

Today I was looking on another person's page and saw she has a kids/young adult bio of Hele
Pam
I think everyone should know about the life of Helen Keller. Her life story in itself is very inspirational and teaches perserverance. This book is well written for children as well as adults to understand some of lifetime achievements in everyday life to national accolades.
Zoë Katherine Littlefield
The book was interesting because it told us about Helen Keller and her growing up in Alabama and about how she grew up to be very famous even though she was deaf and blind.
Julia
She was a blind girl who felt that she was in a different world because she was blind and deaf.
Ken
A very brief overview of Helen Keller's remarkable life. My daughter really liked it, and she wants to read more about her.
Brenna
I had to read a biography for a book report and my mom recommended reading about Helen Keller because she read about her when she was young. This book told a lot of interesting facts about Helen, who was blind and deaf. Her teacher was Anne Sullivan and they were friends for Helen's whole life. Helen lived to be 88.
Maggie
I read this book (and a lot more Helen Keller books) for my book report on Helen Keller and I thought it was really interesting. I like how Helen Keller always stuck to what she wanted to do and never gave up. She was a really interesting person to do my report on.
Carmen
One of my all time favorite's as a kid! I have read this and many other Helen Keller books AND movies and never get tired of her. I probably learned from her to never give up on anything, even if I have to suffer to get what I really want.
Marina Ever vidal
the book is so good and is kind of sad i loved it so much i read it two times

Skye
Simple read. Always an inspiring person to learn about.
Whatshouldmynamebe?
good book, something to read quickly
Samantha Jayakody
hellen keller was an amazing person
Myanne
Best biography ever!
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
genesis reed
genesis reed marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Eve
Eve is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2015
Shiloh
Shiloh added it
Jan 13, 2015
Symiah
Symiah marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Rafika Yolanita
Rafika Yolanita marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
  • Helen Keller
  • Washington's General: Nathanael Greene and the Triumph of the American Revolution
  • If You Sailed On The Mayflower
  • Helen Keller
  • Lost Star: The Story of Amelia Earheart
  • Wilbur and Orville Wright: Young Fliers
  • Where Does the Garbage Go?
  • Miracle at the Plate
  • Friends for Never (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #14)
  • Who Was Helen Keller?
  • Still More Two-Minute Mysteries
  • The Last of the Mohicans (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Curious George in the Snow
  • Helen Keller: From Tragedy to Triumph (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • Out of Darkness: The Story of Louis Braille
  • Traitor: The Case of Benedict Arnold
  • This Is New York
  • Piper Reed: Navy Brat (Piper Reed #1)
George Washington A World Explorer: Hernando Cortes The Story of World War II John Paul Jones The Wayfarer's Tree,