Start by marking “Helen Keller: Toward the Light” as Want to Read:
Helen Keller: Toward the Light

Helen Keller: Toward the Light

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  248 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
From the age of a year and a half, Helen Keller could not hear. She could not see, and she did not speak. She lived in a dark and lonely worlduntil Annie Sullivan came to teach her. Annie traced letters and words in Helen's hand, and made Helen realize she could "talk" to people. Eager to make up for lost time, Helen threw herself into her studies. She decided to teach oth ...more
Published October 15th 1980 by Yearling (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Helen Keller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Helen Keller

Theresa
Helen Keller by Stewart graff is about learning about the history how helen Keller life was and how she changes the perception of disabilities
Mae
Jan 08, 2016 Mae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helen Keller is a non-fiction book by Stewart and Polly Anne Graff. It's about the life of the famous, Helen Keller, who grew up both blind and deaf.
Her parents didn't think she would be fully functional because of her loss of sight and hearing, but then they found Anne Sullivan, who would change Helen's life. Anne Sullivan taught Helen that she was just like anyone else, and being blind and deaf wouldn't stop her from being successful.
I love how the book told about Helen's feelings and her
Kelsea Breedlove
Nov 25, 2015 Kelsea Breedlove rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Helen Keller, is an inspiring story about a young girl who can see or hear and seems completely helpless to the outside world, but with great determination tackles everything in her path and proves to everyone just how capable she truly is. In your classroom one could use this when talking about health and how people are all made differently. You could have your students write down things that makes them different from their peers and then have them discuss how those differences make them unique ...more
Laura Verret
Helen Keller is one of the most well-known characters from American history – and deservedly so. Her singular determination to overcome her handicaps teaches us all a lesson in fortitude and courage.

Her Life.

Helen Keller was born on June 27, 1880 to a pair of doting parents. She could see. She could burble and giggle. She could toddle around the house bringing joy and sunshine to those around her. That was before she caught the fever. After her illness she could still stumble around her great pl
HeavyReader
Found!

I have been thinking about this book for quite some time, but I knew I would get nowhere by typing in "Helen Keller." I knew if I did that, I'd get 400 results (hyperbole) and probably wouldn't have the time and patience to wade through all of them to find the one I was looking for. Also, if there was no image of the cover of the book, I'd never even know if I came across the book I was looking for.

Today I was looking on another person's page and saw she has a kids/young adult bio of Hele
Samantha Lindsey
Nov 29, 2015 Samantha Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a biography about a lady named Helen Keller. Helen was blind and deaf. Initially, it was so hard for her to function in the world. She found determination and started to become skilled in so many things. She wanted to prove that she was capable and able to do things normal people could do. She did just this. She was a talented and determined lady. This would be a great way to bring in history in the classroom.
Pam
Jul 11, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
I think everyone should know about the life of Helen Keller. Her life story in itself is very inspirational and teaches perserverance. This book is well written for children as well as adults to understand some of lifetime achievements in everyday life to national accolades.
Zoë Katherine Littlefield
The book was interesting because it told us about Helen Keller and her growing up in Alabama and about how she grew up to be very famous even though she was deaf and blind.
Julia
Oct 01, 2014 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She was a blind girl who felt that she was in a different world because she was blind and deaf.
Ken
May 22, 2014 Ken rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
A very brief overview of Helen Keller's remarkable life. My daughter really liked it, and she wants to read more about her.
Brenna
Dec 07, 2011 Brenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read a biography for a book report and my mom recommended reading about Helen Keller because she read about her when she was young. This book told a lot of interesting facts about Helen, who was blind and deaf. Her teacher was Anne Sullivan and they were friends for Helen's whole life. Helen lived to be 88.
Maggie
Jan 24, 2010 Maggie rated it really liked it
I read this book (and a lot more Helen Keller books) for my book report on Helen Keller and I thought it was really interesting. I like how Helen Keller always stuck to what she wanted to do and never gave up. She was a really interesting person to do my report on.
Carmen
Oct 16, 2011 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorite's as a kid! I have read this and many other Helen Keller books AND movies and never get tired of her. I probably learned from her to never give up on anything, even if I have to suffer to get what I really want.
Marina Ever vidal
the book is so good and is kind of sad i loved it so much i read it two times

Skye
Mar 29, 2012 Skye rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool
Simple read. Always an inspiring person to learn about.
Whatshouldmynamebe?
good book, something to read quickly
Samantha Jayakody
hellen keller was an amazing person
Myanne
Dec 18, 2010 Myanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best biography ever!
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Anita Schneider
Anita Schneider marked it as to-read
Cora Ann Clements
Cora Ann Clements marked it as to-read
Patricia Fletcher-Sweet
Patricia Fletcher-Sweet rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Rhonda
Rhonda added it
Jan 24, 2016
Tisa
Tisa added it
Jan 23, 2016
Christina McNulty
Christina McNulty marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Jessica Perez
Jessica Perez rated it it was amazing
Renata Roca
Renata Roca marked it as to-read
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
  • Helen Keller
  • Washington's General: Nathanael Greene and the Triumph of the American Revolution
  • If You Traveled on the Underground Railroad
  • Lost Star: The Story of Amelia Earheart
  • Helen Keller
  • Wilbur and Orville Wright: Young Fliers
  • Who Was Ferdinand Magellan?
  • If You Sailed On The Mayflower
  • Where Does the Garbage Go?
  • Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones