Start by marking “The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook: 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings, and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker” as Want to Read:

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  612 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Rice cookers are perfect for how we cook today--versatile and convenient, they have one-button technology, don't take up much counter space, and are a breeze to clean. And they can do so much more than produce foolproof rice, beans, and grains. The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook shows you how to make everything from Thai Curried Rice to Chocolate Pots de Crème with Poached ...more
Published February 13th 2003 by Harvard Common Press (first published December 12th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook

penny shima glanz
Oct 26, 2009 penny shima glanz rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
This is a very well researched book. It covers everything from the basic differences in various rice cookers to all those varieties of rice on the store shelves. I haven't yet cooked with this book as I'm waiting to see if a new rice cooker (which I've been begging for years for) magically appears on my counter in the next week or so. (If it doesn't I won't be disappointed and I'll work through these ideas with my vege/rice steamer). I wish I had this book when I had a basic on/off model as I le ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Jun 26, 2012 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: http://www.ochef.com/743.htm
Shelves: cookbooks
I might have actually started this on the 22nd. Not sure. Anyway, this was a little disappointing. Mostly because the recipes are only for rice cookers of specific sizes, and there is no information about scaling down. The text implies that you shouldn't, and that makes me reluctant to experiment. (If your rice cooker isn't at least 4 cups, forget it. And many of these call for 6- or 10-cup machines.) There's a 2012 edition and I may check it out to see if it's been updated.
Lia
Jun 16, 2010 Lia rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, gluten-free, food
NOTE: This is not actually a gluten-free cookbook. It covers all kinds of grains---many of which are gluten-free.

We've used this book to make very good quinoa and amazing! polenta. The polenta! Ah! The polenta! Our rice cooker makes the creamiest polenta ever. If you have a good rice cooker and want to do more with it, this is the book for you. It's almost a textbook. Such a great resource.
April (The Steadfast Reader)
Feb 16, 2009 April (The Steadfast Reader) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Rice Cooker Owners/Lovers
Shelves: cookbooks
AMAZING. Everything I've made out of here has turned out awesome. I love it!
Lauren
Jan 09, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
The book goes WAY beyond rice cooking - encompassing all grains, all legumes, and even some desserts. The book encourages you to think of your rice cooker more as a one-pot meal maker than a means to a meal. With clear instructions and information on machine settings, it is possible to prepare the entire meal from start to finish. I also like how many of the recipes have suggestions for slightly different spices and flavors at the end. Example: Couscous with mushrooms, couscous with dried fruit ...more
Sasha
Oct 27, 2012 Sasha rated it really liked it
This book has been a great success so far, for the most part. With the information in the book, I focused on jasmine brown rice, which is lighter than regular brown rice and also perfumes the whole house while it's cooking, just like white jasmine rice. I've also made Lemon Rice and Saffron Rice (but using veggie stock instead of water); both have been DELICIOUS. I would put that word in bigger caps if I could, or put flashing stars around it--they were that good. It's not hard to take the the r ...more
Nags
Feb 01, 2012 Nags rated it liked it
Recommends it for: rice cooker owners who really want a book to cook from
Shelves: cookbooks, 2012
I started looking out for rice cooker recipes and cookbooks when I bought (a way too expensive, I must add) Zojirushi induction rice cooker from Japan. Although there are a few out there, this book had the most number of positive reviews on Amazon so I chose it when I won a gift card in a contest from work. In a way, I am glad I didn't spend money on this but then I could have chosen another book I would've liked better.

Yes, the book has a variety of recipes you can cook in your rice cooker but
Margit Sage
May 07, 2012 Margit Sage added it
Recommended to Margit by: Lauren
I don't know if this is true of other editions, but for the kindle edition, recipes start out in the middle of pages and there are no pictures at all in the entire book, except for on the cover. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but as a reading experience, is has to be the least pleasant cookbook I have ever read. I guess it makes sense that it would be that way because you can change the size of the font in a kindle book, but when I look at a recipe book, I like to flip through the book ...more
Yaaresse
Some good recipes and tips for using rice cookers for more than rice.
There are few pictures. This doesn't bother me. I know what rice looks like. I know what an onion or spices look like. I guess it freaks some people out not to have a big ol' glossy photo of every step in a recipe, though.

I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but that is because many of the recipes for for fuzzy-logic cookers, which mine isn't. Since my Zoji rice cooker refuses to die (ten years and counting), I'll pro
Jan 22, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, 2011
Occasionally while decluttering the kitchen, I find myself wondering if I really need a rice cooker, at which point I flip through this book for inspiration. It's a fantastic rice cooker cookbook, and should really get 3.5 stars if that were allowed. It gets docked points because it doesn't have pictures, and because despite being otherwise extremely comprehensive, it doesn't address pasta in the rice cooker at all. It's also a bit too gourmet for me, though whether that's a pro or a con is real ...more
Heather
Aug 30, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok
I was expecting more full meals. When I finally got to that section, I was surprised at how time-intensive some of theme were. If you only have a rice cooker, I'm sure they'd be fine, but if you have the option of using a stove or oven, I'd make those dishes the normal way.
Ivy
Mar 14, 2015 Ivy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was just a lot more basic than I had hoped. There aren't photos of the recipies. It just isn't a well written cookbook.
Natasha
Mar 12, 2011 Natasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-cooking
OK, so I thought I was a culinary genius when I "discovered" you could cook quinoa in the rice cooker. "Wait until I tell the world!" I thought.

Well who knew, FAR beyond rice and quinoa... you can prepare entire MEALS in the rice cooker! Breakfast! Lunch! Dinner! Dessert! This is a great book. Once you read it, you think "Duh. Of course that all makes sense," but I'm telling you, no one I know knew you could do this. I am inspired : ) I almost think I could hit the road, in an Airstream, with j
Gentlyferal
I did learn one useful thing from this book: pilafs (which I love) can be finished in the rice cooker. A great thing to know when you have limited stove space or lots of competition for your attention while cooking. I may check out this book again to review the information on cooking other grains (like steel cut oats, another favorite) and even non-grain foods (vegetables in particular). Since I discovered Mark Bittman, I don't see a need to own this book - the recipes seem over-elaborate by com ...more
highcalorie
Feb 27, 2015 highcalorie rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks, ifpl
some good info but mostly fancy rice and fancy cooking
Kim
Apr 13, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim by: Karin
This book does it all. I like the layout and I LOVE the fact that it has so much information on, well, Rice! For a beginner it is awesome to see all the info on types and classifications. Then to have it outline the science behind not only how the cooker's cook the rice, but how/why each different rice type needs different amounts of water or rinses etc... Many great recipes that are clearly and easily explained. Definitely a must have!
Bax
Jun 18, 2008 Bax rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
the actual rice cooker recipes are good, but there is a lot of filler- non-rice cooker recipes (I have a whole wall of books for that, mmmk) and quite a few that are basically "make rice in rice cooker, do all this other stuff on the stovetop, then mix it all together", which isn't really what I was after.

But it's good for the basics of making different types of basic dishes in your rice cooker.
Lisa
Jan 17, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Needed some lentil & grain settings for my zojirushi.
Deborah J.
Sep 05, 2012 Deborah J. rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! I bought it just after my husband I had purchase a new - and very sexy - rice cooker. (Based on the Asian model, but made in Austria.)
I always have used my rice cooker for making more dishes than just steaming rice and this book takes it even further for me, with recipe for dishes with bulgur, polenta, porridges.
Fabulous!
Glinda Harrison
I love my rice cooker and really had hoped that this would be something I could use frequently. I bought this right after I got the rice cooker and just really didn't think that it gave the basics well. I also didn't find that the recipes were well-suited to my family's tastes.
Lynn
Feb 02, 2013 Lynn rated it it was amazing
I purchased a rice cooker and needed a cookbook. This book is more than just recipes, it explains the differences and how to use a large variety of rices. Also talks about the history of the rice cooker. Being new to the use of a rice cooker this information was very helpful.
Valerie
Aug 17, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Beth Hensperger is one of my favorite cookbook authors, and my children love rice dishes. So this one was a no brainer. One of the best ideas from this book was making different breakfast grain dishes in the rice cooker.
Jo
Apr 25, 2013 Jo rated it liked it
quite a few really good recipes, but not one single picture to be found. the pages in the book were not a good quality for a cookbook. they had a texture that would stain easily. I prefer a glossy page in a cookbook.
Christy
Nov 03, 2009 Christy rated it really liked it
I've tried a few of the recipes and I liked them a lot. This book is MUCH better than the slow cooker book by the same authors. But I might be biased because I prefer my rice cooker and think it's superior.
Nicole
Aug 20, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, cookbook
I've read the book but haven't tried any of the recipes yet so I'm going to hold off rating until I have some practical experience with the recipes under my belt. I like what I've seen, though!
LemontreeLime
Sep 30, 2011 LemontreeLime rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Has fantastic ideas, great recipes, and damn why didn't anyone tell me that a more expensive model of rice cooker would have a porridge option!?! if only i had known sooner...
Mckinley
Jan 23, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
Very complete; not only recipes but also about types rice and it's cooking. Also sections for cooking other things in cooker - vegetables, custards, porridges, etc.
Susan Z
Nov 18, 2014 Susan Z rated it liked it
Shelves: tasty
This is a thoroughly researched book, but it relies heavily on fuzzy logic rice cookers, which limits the audience who will find it useful.
Nov 11, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with a rice cooker
I can't rate this book a 5 because I haven't cooked enough of the recipes yet. I highly recommend the leeks and wild rice recipe. Fantastic!
Marian
Apr 24, 2011 Marian rated it liked it
Shelves: cook
Great recipes, no pictures, this recipe for cookbooks ( the no technique photos, no pictures of the food) are just not cutting it anymore--
  • Top Secret Recipes Unlocked: All New Home Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Foods
  • 101 Things to Do with Ramen Noodles
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • The 1,500-Calorie-A-Day Cookbook
  • The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of the East: 150 Asian-inspired recipes--from soba noodles to summer rolls
  • Patti Labelle's Lite Cuisine
  • Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads
  • Get Cooking: 150 Simple Recipes to Get You Started in the Kitchen
  • Mastering the Grill: The Owner's Manual for Outdoor Cooking
  • Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express: 404 Inspired Seasonal Dishes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less
  • The Dumpling: A Seasonal Guide
  • A Book of Mediterranean Food
  • Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen: An Indespensible Guide for Anybody Who Likes to Cook
  • Canning & Preserving for Dummies
  • Skinny Italian: Eat It and Enjoy It - Live La Bella Vita and Look Great, Too!
  • Cooking for Friends
  • Bobby Flay's Throwdown!: More Than 100 Recipes from Food Network's Ultimate Cooking Challenge
  • The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen
Beth Hensperger is a passionate professional- and home- baker who is both extremely creative and extraordinarily prolific as an author and developer of quality recipes. Her training included a ten-year apprenticeship as a restaurant and hotel pastry chef as well as having her own custom wedding cake business and attending classes given by some of the top bakers in America. Though restaurant traine ...more
More about Beth Hensperger...