Start by marking “Timeshares” as Want to Read:
Timeshares

Timeshares

Sixteen original stories about taking your dream vacation-in any era you desire.

Take a vacation through time with the help of a Time Travel Agency offering excursions into the past and future. Readers will find themselves in exotic, adventurous locales-and in all manner of trouble and mysteries. And figures from the past will be able to squeak by the other way.

Picture
Mass Market Paperback, 306 pages
Published March 2nd 2010 by DAW (first published January 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Timeshares, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Timeshares

Steven
Mar 08, 2010 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
[Full disclosure: I have a story in this anthology. I will not be discussing my story in this review.]

Timeshares starts with a simple premise: Where – no, when – would you go if you could go on vacation anywhen in time?

Like most people, I’ve been exposed to lots of time travel stories. The 19 stories all imagine the time-vacation agency in slightly different ways, which keeps each story in this anthology fresh. Some stories are action-packed, some are mysteries, and some center on character and
Christine Verstraete
Feb 11, 2011 Christine Verstraete rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
Includes my story, "A Night to Forget" by C.A. Verstraete - a woman finds a visit to an exhibit about the Titanic more real than she expected.
Lexie
Apr 18, 2014 Lexie rated it liked it
Shelves: books-once-owned
Anthologies are always hit or miss for me. Usually if I like the premise then I'm likely to find it harder to enjoy the individual stories. If I am only mildly interested in the premise and picking the book up more for the authors included, I fare far better. Such is the case with Timeshares. Six of the authors listed are of interest to me for various reasons and the premise was interesting enough to garner my attention.

Who hasn't wanted to travel back in time? I know I used to dream about trave
David Schick
The not-so-good: What started out as a great sci-fi concept, turned out to be a little less interesting (from a sci-fi standpoint) than orignally anticipated. Most of the stories were written by authors from different genres, making each not only done in a slightly different writing style (to be expected), but also handled the common threads of the book in a completely chaotic fashion (somewhat surprising). Most were period pieces, many only included one or two quick references to anything remot ...more
Robin
Aug 25, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
An interesting, and sometimes fun, collection of time travel stories that center around a "travel" agency offering time travel. While the stories were a little uneven and some only loosely arranged around the original concept, some of the stories could easily be adapted into longer length stories or even full novels. You may want to skip around a little, but there should be something that satifies most fans of time travel stories.
Roy Huff
Jan 13, 2013 Roy Huff rated it liked it
If you are a time travel enthusiast you will probably like this book. I must say that I didn't care for the short story compilation format, but the real issue with this book is that is suffers from the same problems most time travel books too. Namely, there are two many unnecessary restrictions placed on the time travelers. The other issue is that the motivations behind the travelers where somewhat lacking. The premise is also suspect. Still, worth a read for fan of this genre.
Jeanne Boyarsky
Jul 17, 2011 Jeanne Boyarsky rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Timeshares is a collection of short stories about time traveling vacations. The stories range from the standard paradoxes of time travel to implications of bringing people forward to religion to visiting relatives. While none of the stories are long, they are easy to get lost in. The collection is well edited so they give you a picture of the Timeshares world even though each story is by a different author. The last one even manages to provide closure.
Lindsey
Mar 16, 2010 Lindsey rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
An interesting collection of short stories by a variety of authors, centered around a central premise: a company that lets you go back in time.

The best feature of this collection is the tremendous variation within the stories. In what is largely individual preference, some stories are too simple and not as entertaining; but some are complex and thought provoking. A little something for all sci-fi fans, although I doubt that anyone will like the whole collection.
Pete
Nov 07, 2011 Pete rated it did not like it
Every so often, there's an anthology of short stories that's worth the time that you spent reading it.

This is not one of them.

The sole saving grace is Stackpole's "By Our Actions" -- a shame that I had to slog through nearly the entire book to get to it. The other stories largely concern themselves with sophomoric retreads of tired old tropes. (Of course, this opinion is based on my belief that time travel itself isn't already overdone...)
Marc
May 02, 2010 Marc rated it liked it
I did not enjoy the early stories in this anthology as they were too similar. It seems the editors provided a lot of detail about the "Timeshares" travel company to authors and too many of them "stuck to the script." The stories collected towards the end of the book tended to go "off script" and were more enjoyable as more of the author's vs. editor's voice came through.
Annie
Jun 12, 2012 Annie rated it really liked it
I usually don't care for time travel stories, but most of the stories in this collection about the company known as Timeshares were really interesting and well-written. I found myself wanting to read the sequel anthology. Is there one? I will definitely have to look.
Bryan
May 08, 2010 Bryan marked it as unowned-to-buy
Shelves: ebooks, sf
I bought this in ebook format at fictionwise.com, but the publisher decided they wanted more money, so I couldn't download it.

Fictionwise refunded my money after a few weeks, so now I have to decide if I'll ever buy this again.

Unlikely.
Deborah
May 30, 2010 Deborah rated it liked it
A collection of time travel stories. Some I liked, some were ok and then disappointed you with their ending, a few weren't good at all...
Asad
Asad rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Donald J. Bingle
Aug 27, 2012 Donald J. Bingle added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I have a story in this anthology, "A Passion for Time Travel." Check it out.
Matthew Mayo
Apr 22, 2010 Matthew Mayo rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kay
Kay rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Bubbajdf
Bubbajdf rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Darlene Reilley
Darlene Reilley rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Sean Kasanova
Sean Kasanova rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2015
Dormiensa
Dormiensa rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Kelly
Jul 20, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Daniela
Daniela rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Johanne
Johanne rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2012
BZ George
BZ George rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2013
PHILIP DAVIS
PHILIP DAVIS rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Kela de Pedro
Kela de Pedro rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2012
  • The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction
  • Lightspeed: Year One
  • Tails of Wonder and Imagination
  • Dogs of War
  • Chasing Silver (Silver Maiden, #1)
  • Wireless
  • Phoenix Noir
  • The Dragon Done It
  • Mother, Please!: What a Girl Wants / The Road Home / Upstairs, Downstairs
  • The Apocalypse Reader
  • Deuces Down (Wild Cards, #16)
  • Shadow Queen (The Binding, #1)
When I am not writing, I toss tennis balls to my cadre of dogs. My house is filled with books and dogs, you can smell both when you walk in the front door. It's a good smell.

I have 36 published novels and am currently writing in the mystery genre. My latest mystery, The Dead of Winter, was a finalist for the Claymore Award and is the first in the Piper Blackwell series.

I live in a tiny town in the
More about Jean Rabe...