We Who Are Alive and Remain: Untold Stories from the Band of Brothers

We Who Are Alive and Remain: Untold Stories from the Band of Brothers

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  905 ratings  ·  45 reviews
They were the men of the now-legendary Easy Company. After almost two years of hard training, they parachuted into Normandy on D-Day and, later, Operation Market Garden. They fought their way through Belgium, France, and Germany, survived overwhelming odds, liberated concentration camps, and drank a victory toast in April 1945 at Hitler's hideout in the Alps.
Other Format, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2010 by Findaway World (first published 2009)

Ido
This is a great book about the "rest" of Easy Company 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR), 2nd Battalion, 101st Airborne division. Everyone who knows about the "Band of Brothers" HBO mini-series or the Steven Ambrose books knows about individuals like Major Richard Winters, Don Malarkey, Captain Lewis Nixon, "Wild Bill" Guarnere, Lt. Carwood Lipton and many others. However there were many other members of the company who received little or no mention in the Ambrose books (or some of the foll...more
Dachokie
Icing on the Band of Brothers collection of books, December 16, 2009

Upon finishing this book, I have read the entire lot of books written by or about the individual members of Easy Company (including Ambrose's "Band of Brothers"). Looking back, I am glad I read this book last because it essentially ties the individual memoirs and the television series together by detailing the lesser-known members of the unit. More importantly, it is the only book available that provides insight to the life of C...more
Fergie
After reading a very detailed-driven book about WWII entitled, "Guns At Last Light", I needed a book with a more personal bend in it's telling of the history of that time. The author did a fantastic job providing the reader with the personal side of the combat soldier in this book. Marcus Brotherton compiled personal stories from the remaining members of the famous "Band of Brothers" of the 101st Airborne (at least those whose stories had not already been told in the form of memoirs). What I fou...more
Robbie
I really liked this book, partly because I am WWII buff/thing/person/whatever-you-call-it, and partly because this book is so personal. Every word in this book is directly quoted from the veterens or children of the veterens (that's a really bad sentence but you get the point.) The accounts and stories that the veterens give before, during, and after the war are so personal and interesting, and very engaging. As you read, you might feel like the actual men of Easy Company themselves were talking...more
Kyle
Eris
great book about great men and a great historical event. it was really interesting to be able to read the men's own account on what they have seen and gone through, as well as how they feel/felt about it. thus, it's nothing like you have read before, since you get to read each men's unique perspective and life story. the most intriguing part is, beyond any doubts, sobel's son's account on his father. i really shed a gallon of tears at the final chapter, about sobel, burr smith and luz.
i really r...more
Jenn Barbieri
I had a sense of deja vue. I don't know if it's because I have read so many books on the subject, or if this particular book just used exact quotes from other books. I felt like I had read those stories that were presented before. I expected similarities, but not exactly the same. I hadn't really realized that people swapped in and out. For some reason I had always thought that it was the same bunch of people from the beg @ Toccoa.
Todd Miles
This is a very enjoyable read built entirely from transcripts of interviews of the remaining soldiers from E Company of the 101 Airborne. The book follows each of the soldiers from their enlistment to their discharge with a final section on where they are now and what happened after the war. Although it cannot compete with the memoirs of the individuals already published, it is a good book and an solid contribution to the genre.
Sam
This book was riveting. I couldn't put it down. I found the first-hand account format especially compelling. Try to tell these stories, rather than letting the men tell it for themselves, would have taken something away from this book.

I am grateful the stories of Easy company are being told. They leave one feeling grateful for the courage and valor of these men, and many others, who gave so much to preserve our freedom.
Cordell Larkin
There are parts of this book that will make you cry and really appreciate the sacrifice these men made during WWII so that we can have the freedoms we have today. I've been reading quite a few WWII memoirs lately from the Easy Company men and this one gives you a perspective on a few more of the men from Band of Brothers. A great book to read if you enjoy history, memoirs and anything pertaining to WWII.
Art
Stories from Easy Company, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne. There's some very interesting reading here and it's a great addition to the 101st library. For me the book is the military history I like reading best, it's all first person accounts covered before during and after the war. This book holds it's own alongside Band of Brothers and any of the other Easy Company books out there.
K.M. Weiland
As a companion piece to Stephen Ambrose's Band of Brothers, this book is stellar. I've always liked the intimacy and realism of oral histories, and the opportunity offered here to experience not just Easy Company, but particularly some of its lesser-known men, is priceless. This isn't as "big" a book as Band of Brothers, but in some ways I found it even more moving.
AmblingBooks
From Marcus Brotherton, coauthor of Call of Duty, comes a new collection of untold stories from the legendary Easy Company, the military unit immortalized in Band of Brothers.

Listen to We Who Are Alive and Remain on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Chris Rocca
Band of Brothers was an amazing account of this group of WWII vets. Band of Brothers is, of course, the quote from Shakespeare's Henry V. That speech he gives to his outnumbered troops on the fields of Agincourt, France, on St. Crispin's Day. . . . gives me goosebumps every time! However, this book 2, is less than spectacular. Den and I both say - don't bother!
Rachel

Here's a review of the book. If you read this, get some tissues ready. I really need to get my emotions together when I read these books. I just want to hug this author for the information he's put together for the public to see and learn.
Wendy
Sep 15, 2009 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Band of Brother's followers,
Shelves: memoir
I loved the Band of Brothers mini-series, and generally am a sentimental fool when it comes to the military and especially WWII.

The most interesting chapter of this book comes at the end. A chapter written by one of the sons of Captain Sobel. A must read if you have seen the mini-series or read Ambrose's book.
Aaron
Excellent read - a great synopsis of how the military has continued to evolve, as well as a wonderful insight into the lives of the men that served with honor and valor when the world needed them. Surely only a sampling of the great men that served our country then, and how fortunate we are to have them still with us.
Lexie__a
This is really great to learn more about unknown Easy company soldiers. And I really like the after war life parts. It's nice to know what they've became. If you like Band Of Brothers and if you want to know more about every men who were part of Easy Co, GO READ THIS BOOK ♥
Kurt
Having read every available book by a veteran of Easy Company (Band of Brothers), I was happy to see someone publish a collection of the other men still with us. It helped to fill in some gaps or complete stories from other points of view.
Ani
This book helps you understand the full impact of the war on the vets lives. It had a profound impact on everyone of them, and ultimately shaped their generation and our world today. Helps to give closure for any avid band of brothers reader.
Jeremy
Oral histories of 20 surviving members of Easy Company made famous by the book and HBO mini-series Band of Brothers. Provides greater perspective on the company and the individual experiences of a good cross section of its members.
Robert Allen
I like the idea that Brotherton gave other members of Easy and/or their families a chance to tell their stories. The book helps to clear up some question and also corrects some errors from the Band of Brothers.
Mark Luongo
Jan 04, 2013 Mark Luongo rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: Jeff Frank
Nice addition to the history of the 506th PIR of the 101st Airborne, the famous "Band of Brothers." A number of interesting anecdotes from members of the unit and recollections from family members.
Michelle
Not quite as compelling as the original Band of Brothers book, but a good retelling of the experiences of Easy Company (of the 101st Paratroopers) in their own words.
Vincent O'Neil
An excellent companion book to BAND OF BROTHERS, with a fascinating section on what the future members of Easy Company, 2-506th PIR were doing prior to the war.
Kristin
Read this on Memorial Day. Appropriate, I thought. These men were incredibly brave. A good reminder of what men are capable of...
Kirsten
This was a really powerful account that tried to put straight misrepresentations by the more popular book that was turned into a movie.
Joan
Great book lets you live through the battles this brave men endured. Anyone who likes war and historical books will enjoy this book.
Doug Hauser
If you like the human side of the war then this is as good or maybe better then the original Band of Brothers.
Richard Dockery
Personal accounts from interviews as well as follow-up interviews with family members. Very well written.
  • Call of Duty: My Life Before, During and After the Band of Brothers
  • Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends
  • Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers"
  • Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters, the Man Who Led the Band of Brothers
  • Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich
  • Currahee!: A Screaming Eagle at Normandy
  • Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters
  • Islands of the Damned: A Marine at War in the Pacific
  • One Square Mile of Hell: The Battle for Tarawa
  • Brave Men
  • The Bedford Boys: One American Town's Ultimate D-Day Sacrifice
  • Pegasus Bridge
  • If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II, One American Officer's Riveting True Story
  • Overlord: D-Day and the Battle for Normandy
  • I'm Staying With My Boys...: The Heroic Life of Sgt. John Basilone, USMC
  • Okinawa: The Last Battle of World War II
  • Company Commander: The Classic Infantry Memoir of World War II
92080
Marcus Brotherton is a journalist and professional writer known internationally for his literary collaborations with high-profile public figures, humanitarians, inspirational leaders, and military personnel. He has authored or co-authored more than 25 books, including biographies and directive non-fiction.

Notable works include WE WHO ARE ALIVE & REMAIN, which reached No. 28 on the New York...more
More about Marcus Brotherton...
Shifty's War: The Authorized Biography of Sergeant Darrell "Shifty" Powers, the Legendary Sharpshooter from the Band of Brothers A Company of Heroes: Personal Memories about the Real Band of Brothers and the Legacy They Left Us Shifty's War: The Authorized Biography of Sergeant Darrell Shifty Powers, the Legendary Sharpshooter from the Band of Brothers Teacher: The Henrietta Mears Story Finding Martha's Place

“I came to see soldiers as men willing to lay down their lives for the sake of others. They fight for themselves and the generation under immediate attack, but certainly they fight for the futures of free peoples. Decades beyond World War II, I am one who benefited. That I can vote in presidential elections and not bend my knee to Hirohito’s grandson is testament to the enduring work of the veterans of World War II. That I can write books for a living instead of sweating in a Third Reich factory is a product of Allied triumph.” 2 likes