Start by marking “We Who Are Alive and Remain: Untold Stories from the Band of Brothers” as Want to Read:
We Who Are Alive and Remain: Untold Stories from the Band of Brothers

We Who Are Alive and Remain: Untold Stories from the Band of Brothers

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  2,226 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
They were the men of the now-legendary Easy Company. After almost two years of hard training, they parachuted into Normandy on D-Day and, later, Operation Market Garden. They fought their way through Belgium, France, and Germany, survived overwhelming odds, liberated concentration camps, and drank a victory toast in April 1945 at Hitler's hideout in the Alps. Here, reveale ...more
Other Format, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2010 by Findaway World (first published May 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about We Who Are Alive and Remain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Who Are Alive and Remain

Ido
Jun 15, 2009 Ido rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book about the "rest" of Easy Company 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR), 2nd Battalion, 101st Airborne division. Everyone who knows about the "Band of Brothers" HBO mini-series or the Steven Ambrose books knows about individuals like Major Richard Winters, Don Malarkey, Captain Lewis Nixon, "Wild Bill" Guarnere, Lt. Carwood Lipton and many others. However there were many other members of the company who received little or no mention in the Ambrose books (or some of the foll ...more
Dachokie
Jul 31, 2011 Dachokie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ii
Icing on the Band of Brothers collection of books, December 16, 2009

Upon finishing this book, I have read the entire lot of books written by or about the individual members of Easy Company (including Ambrose's "Band of Brothers"). Looking back, I am glad I read this book last because it essentially ties the individual memoirs and the television series together by detailing the lesser-known members of the unit. More importantly, it is the only book available that provides insight to the life of C
Jon
Nov 01, 2016 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was enjoyable because it was a collection of little stories. It was like sitting around with a bunch of WW2 soldiers as they tell about how they joined the Army, where they were on Pearl Harbor Day, what they experienced in training, what happened on D-Day and the end of the war. This was a nice addendum to Band Of Brothers. This was the audio version and the man that read the various parts even did the accents of the men. I liked it.
K.M. Weiland
Mar 08, 2012 K.M. Weiland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a companion piece to Stephen Ambrose's Band of Brothers, this book is stellar. I've always liked the intimacy and realism of oral histories, and the opportunity offered here to experience not just Easy Company, but particularly some of its lesser-known men, is priceless. This isn't as "big" a book as Band of Brothers, but in some ways I found it even more moving.
Lana
Jul 29, 2012 Lana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book, finished it last summer.
Saar Steverlinck
Hoe gefascineerd ik ook ben door band of brothers,... toch kon dit boek me echt maar matig boeien. Te veel losse verhalen om er voor mij een geheel in te zien, te veel herhaling, te oppervlakkig
Fergie
Aug 07, 2013 Fergie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading a very detailed-driven book about WWII entitled, "Guns At Last Light", I needed a book with a more personal bend in it's telling of the history of that time. The author did a fantastic job providing the reader with the personal side of the combat soldier in this book. Marcus Brotherton compiled personal stories from the remaining members of the famous "Band of Brothers" of the 101st Airborne (at least those whose stories had not already been told in the form of memoirs). What I fou ...more
Trisha Cook
"The feeling was a little different then--I think every one of us had it. The country needed us. We needed to do what needed to be done--I like to say that the country needed it, my family needed it, and I needed it--it was that simple." -Bill Wingett-

I found this collection of firsthand accounts told by the veterans of Easy Company in WWII to be an excellent insight into what the life, struggle, and aftermath was like during and after the war in Germany. You never really understand what a soldi
Rachel van Huyssteen
The Band of Brothers was unlike books I normally read. This historical book recapped memories of many men from the Easy Company group that fought in World War II. Although I enjoyed it, I wanted more depth. I wanted to hear more from the men about their feelings throughout the war. I wanted a little more drama. It was mainly snippets from different people about things that happened during the war. There were a few funny parts. There were two parts where I cried. There were also grotesque parts. ...more
Robbie
Dec 28, 2010 Robbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, partly because I am WWII buff/thing/person/whatever-you-call-it, and partly because this book is so personal. Every word in this book is directly quoted from the veterens or children of the veterens (that's a really bad sentence but you get the point.) The accounts and stories that the veterens give before, during, and after the war are so personal and interesting, and very engaging. As you read, you might feel like the actual men of Easy Company themselves were talking ...more
Rebecca
Phenomenal book. I couldn't put it down. I loved that it was totally comprised of the words of Easy Company men only. The author did a terrific job organizing their stories and I especially liked that he included personal memories from a few of the deceased members' children (I cried the whole time.) I would 100% recommend for any fan of Band of Brothers or just someone looking for a collection of personal accounts of the war. Hearing it and seeing it through their words was an amazing experienc ...more
Kyle
May 31, 2009 Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eris
Jul 11, 2009 Eris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book about great men and a great historical event. it was really interesting to be able to read the men's own account on what they have seen and gone through, as well as how they feel/felt about it. thus, it's nothing like you have read before, since you get to read each men's unique perspective and life story. the most intriguing part is, beyond any doubts, sobel's son's account on his father. i really shed a gallon of tears at the final chapter, about sobel, burr smith and luz.
i really r
Sam
Jun 16, 2012 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was riveting. I couldn't put it down. I found the first-hand account format especially compelling. Try to tell these stories, rather than letting the men tell it for themselves, would have taken something away from this book.

I am grateful the stories of Easy company are being told. They leave one feeling grateful for the courage and valor of these men, and many others, who gave so much to preserve our freedom.
Todd Miles
Mar 27, 2013 Todd Miles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, history
This is a very enjoyable read built entirely from transcripts of interviews of the remaining soldiers from E Company of the 101 Airborne. The book follows each of the soldiers from their enlistment to their discharge with a final section on where they are now and what happened after the war. Although it cannot compete with the memoirs of the individuals already published, it is a good book and an solid contribution to the genre.
mikhaela
i'm crying??? i love all of these men so much. seeing things from their perspective was fascinating. all of their accounts of the campaigns and the outfit felt personal and insightful. i really liked how brotherton let the men and those who knew them tell the story. the breakdown of the regiment and the men was helpful. i think brotherton really wanted the readers to understand the mechanisms of the war and what e company went through.
Cordell Larkin
There are parts of this book that will make you cry and really appreciate the sacrifice these men made during WWII so that we can have the freedoms we have today. I've been reading quite a few WWII memoirs lately from the Easy Company men and this one gives you a perspective on a few more of the men from Band of Brothers. A great book to read if you enjoy history, memoirs and anything pertaining to WWII.
Jenn Lambert
I had a sense of deja vue. I don't know if it's because I have read so many books on the subject, or if this particular book just used exact quotes from other books. I felt like I had read those stories that were presented before. I expected similarities, but not exactly the same. I hadn't really realized that people swapped in and out. For some reason I had always thought that it was the same bunch of people from the beg @ Toccoa.
Chris Rocca
Band of Brothers was an amazing account of this group of WWII vets. Band of Brothers is, of course, the quote from Shakespeare's Henry V. That speech he gives to his outnumbered troops on the fields of Agincourt, France, on St. Crispin's Day. . . . gives me goosebumps every time! However, this book 2, is less than spectacular. Den and I both say - don't bother!
Art
Oct 11, 2011 Art rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ii
Stories from Easy Company, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne. There's some very interesting reading here and it's a great addition to the 101st library. For me the book is the military history I like reading best, it's all first person accounts covered before during and after the war. This book holds it's own alongside Band of Brothers and any of the other Easy Company books out there.
Rachel
Oct 13, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Here's a review of the book. If you read this, get some tissues ready. I really need to get my emotions together when I read these books. I just want to hug this author for the information he's put together for the public to see and learn.
Aaron
Jul 16, 2010 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read - a great synopsis of how the military has continued to evolve, as well as a wonderful insight into the lives of the men that served with honor and valor when the world needed them. Surely only a sampling of the great men that served our country then, and how fortunate we are to have them still with us.
Wendy
Sep 12, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Band of Brother's followers,
Shelves: memoir
I loved the Band of Brothers mini-series, and generally am a sentimental fool when it comes to the military and especially WWII.

The most interesting chapter of this book comes at the end. A chapter written by one of the sons of Captain Sobel. A must read if you have seen the mini-series or read Ambrose's book.
Chad Simons
May 08, 2014 Chad Simons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book that provided some additional stories from the guys not featured so much in the mini series or the other books written. I am a huge WWII Easy company fan and this is just one more to add to the collection for people like me.
Ani
Jun 28, 2013 Ani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii
This book helps you understand the full impact of the war on the vets lives. It had a profound impact on everyone of them, and ultimately shaped their generation and our world today. Helps to give closure for any avid band of brothers reader.
Kurt
Jul 02, 2009 Kurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read every available book by a veteran of Easy Company (Band of Brothers), I was happy to see someone publish a collection of the other men still with us. It helped to fill in some gaps or complete stories from other points of view.
Jeremy
Aug 18, 2010 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-2
Oral histories of 20 surviving members of Easy Company made famous by the book and HBO mini-series Band of Brothers. Provides greater perspective on the company and the individual experiences of a good cross section of its members.
Kurt
Jan 23, 2016 Kurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: band-of-brothers
I enjoyed the book very much. The personal accounts from before the war through to after are an enjoyable way to read a book like this. It is almost as if you are sitting in the room with the storyteller hearing the tale firsthand.
Lexie__a
Mar 16, 2013 Lexie__a rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is really great to learn more about unknown Easy company soldiers. And I really like the after war life parts. It's nice to know what they've became. If you like Band Of Brothers and if you want to know more about every men who were part of Easy Co, GO READ THIS BOOK ♥
Robert Allen
Jan 03, 2013 Robert Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the idea that Brotherton gave other members of Easy and/or their families a chance to tell their stories. The book helps to clear up some question and also corrects some errors from the Band of Brothers.
  • Call of Duty: My Life Before, During and After the Band of Brothers
  • Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers"
  • Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends
  • In the Footsteps of the Band of Brothers: A Return to Easy Company's Battlefields with Sgt. Forrest Guth
  • Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich
  • Currahee!: A Screaming Eagle at Normandy
  • Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters
  • Conversations with Major Dick Winters: Life Lessons from the Commander of the Band of Brothers
  • Tonight We Die As Men: The untold story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment from Toccoa to D-Day
  • All the Way to Berlin: A Paratrooper at War in Europe
  • The Battered Bastards of Bastogne: The 101st Airborne and the Battle of the Bulge, December 19,1944-January 17,1945
  • If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II, One American Officer's Riveting True Story
  • Brave Men
  • The Longest Winter: The Battle of the Bulge and the Epic Story of World War II's Most Decorated Platoon
  • One Square Mile of Hell: The Battle for Tarawa
  • China Marine: An Infantryman's Life after World War II
  • Islands of the Damned: A Marine at War in the Pacific
  • Battleground Pacific: A Marine Rifleman's Combat Odyssey in K/3/5
92080
Marcus Brotherton is a New York Times bestselling author and collaborative writer known for his books with high-profile public figures, humanitarians, inspirational leaders, and military personnel.

He has authored or coauthored more than 25 books and substantively edited more than 35 others.

Marcus’ nonfiction includes the widely-acclaimed Shifty’s War, A Company of Heroes, and We Who Are Alive &
More about Marcus Brotherton...

“I came to see soldiers as men willing to lay down their lives for the sake of others. They fight for themselves and the generation under immediate attack, but certainly they fight for the futures of free peoples. Decades beyond World War II, I am one who benefited. That I can vote in presidential elections and not bend my knee to Hirohito’s grandson is testament to the enduring work of the veterans of World War II. That I can write books for a living instead of sweating in a Third Reich factory is a product of Allied triumph.” 3 likes
“Nearby sat a veteran in a wheelchair. He was young, handsome, and athletic, through missing a leg.

My daughter went to him and asked, "You're army - right?"

He said, "Yes, I am."

My daughter hugged him. "Thank you," she said. Tears welled in the man's eyes.

"Did you get my card?" she asked. "My school sent you a card. It said, 'Thank you for saving our Earth.'"

The guy just about lost it. He said, "You're welcome. Yes, we did get your card. Thank you for doing that."

- Michael Sobel, son of Herbert Sobel. Michael talking about his 6 year old daughter meeting veterans.”
3 likes