Start by marking “Rig: An Oral History Of The Ocean Ranger Disaster” as Want to Read:
Rig: An Oral History Of The Ocean Ranger Disaster

Rig: An Oral History Of The Ocean Ranger Disaster

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  22 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
In the early hours of February 15, 1982, tragedy struck the Ocean Ranger oil rig when it capsized and sank in a severe weather storm 170 nautical miles east of St. John's, Newfoundland. All of the eighty-four crewmen perished, including fifty-six men from the province. This was Canada's greatest maritime disaster since World War II. Rig is a powerful story filled with firs ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Creative Publishers (India)

To ask other readers questions about Rig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rig

Jenny
Mar 16, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfic
Tore my heart apart. Recollections from wives, partners, siblings, parents, friends, journalists and others about the sinking of the "unsinkable" semi-submersible oil-drilling rig, the Ocean Ranger, on February 15, 1982, off the coast of Newfoundland. I didn't know a thing about it until I heard Lisa Moore on CBC Radio not long ago (not surprising - I'm American and we're willfully ignorant of Canadian affairs, especially disasters our own companies have had their hands in).

Rig is deeply moving,
Lori
Apr 16, 2015 Lori rated it liked it

After reading Lisa Moore's February , a fictional account of a family dealing with the loss of a loved one in the Ocean Ranger disaster I was curious. And being the Google girl that I am I researched the Ocean Ranger and came across this book which contains remembrances from friends and family members of those lost when the Ocean Ranger went down.

Very interesting, very heartbreaking...so often in stories like this sometimes the serendipity seems both fortunate and cruel. The one man who gives up
Susan
Jul 25, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
Oh,this so ripped my heart out! I was almost 12 the night of that horrendous storm in 1982 and I remember it like yesterday. Reading this brought me right back to 34 years ago. The various narratives here were so engrossing. The final outcome of it all and the arrogance of the oil companies are common knowledge but while I was reading I kept hoping for a different conclusion. Those poor,poor men.With a book like this,they cannot be forgotton.
Kim Stone
Oct 14, 2013 Kim Stone rated it really liked it
I was only 8 when the Ranger went down. I remember it was all over the news for a long time afterwards. As a child you don't fully understand the impact of such a tragedy but my Dad was friends with a man who died that night and he wanted to make us kids understand how important life, family, love and ocean safety are. I've grown up with a deep respect for the sea and the power she holds. This book was hard to read, to hear the stories first hand that were never reported on the news. I had to re ...more
Jason Saunders
Sep 26, 2014 Jason Saunders rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nl-books
Excellent book, it was difficult at times to read about how the disaster affected people so close to those who worked on the Ocean Ranger. However, as difficult as it was at times to read it is equally or more important to keep the lessons that we should have learned as a result of this tragedy from being forgotten. The book speaks to the world renowned character,and work ethic of Newfoundlanders A must read for all Newfoundlanders.
Diana
Oct 29, 2010 Diana rated it it was amazing
Don't read this if you don't want to weep continuously all the way through it.

But definitely worth reading.
Amanda
Amanda rated it did not like it
Mar 22, 2016
Bonnie Morse
Bonnie Morse rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
A. Shott
A. Shott rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
Melissa Somerton
Melissa Somerton marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2014
Katelyn
Katelyn rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
FMHS Library
FMHS Library rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2014
Keith
Keith rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2014
Angie Burke
Angie Burke rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2013
Darlene
Darlene rated it really liked it
May 12, 2013
Lars Meskestad
Lars Meskestad marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Rosa
Rosa marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Sandhya
Sandhya marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2013
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2012
Andie
Andie rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2012
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2012
Wilhelmina
Wilhelmina rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Born in the historic harbour city of St. John's, Newfoundland, Mike Heffernan was trained as a historical researcher at Memorial University. He now edits fiction in a variety of genres. Rig: An Oral History of the Ocean Ranger Disaster is his first non-fiction book.
More about Mike Heffernan...