Start by marking “The Little Red Hen” as Want to Read:
The Little Red Hen

The Little Red Hen

"Not I," said the duck. "Not I," said the pig.

"Not I," said the cat.
Published March 2nd 2004 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Little Red Hen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Red Hen

Sam
Sep 25, 2008 Sam rated it it was amazing
This book is a fable that depicts a story about a little red hen that wants help from his friends the duck, the pig, and the cat. However, every time the little red hen asks for help from his friends, they refuse to help her out. So the little red hen does all the chores to make the bread herself. Once the little red hen prepared the bread she asks her friends if they want to eat it and they all say yes. But the little red hen said he would not share because they did not help him with anything a ...more
Alexis
Jan 09, 2012 Alexis rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
We all know the story of the Little Red Hen who undertakes every step of producing a loaf of bread, while lazy Pig, Cat, and Duck refuse to help even a little bit. We know that when it comes time to eat the bread, she eats it all by herself. So what makes this one different?

The illustrations make all the difference in this edition. Every page is a photo-manipulation illustrating the steps of the story in hilarious ways. The Little Red Hen rides a bike to the miller, with jointed sticks tied to h
Dianna
Aug 19, 2011 Dianna rated it it was ok
The illustrations here are just not my cup of tea. I found them unattractive and hard to follow, and the text often didn't match up with the illustrations very well. While the retelling is certainly serviceable, I've seen ones I liked better—like the Golden Book version, which I found perfectly consistent, and which skips the annoying moralizing at the end. I like my kids to draw their own conclusions!
Janet Chen
Feb 20, 2011 Janet Chen rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Everyone ends up knowing the lines to this book, Not I said the pig! I love it, its great to teach many lessons from such as being helpful, being fair, how to follow steps for a recipe, and even about how to be a good friend. I did a story box with this book and it was so easy to get the puppets and the lines were easy to remember. I would read this story to grades prek to second probably and even third if i was talking about following steps. This version had great illustrations also.
John
Dec 01, 2014 John added it
This traditional tale of The Little Red Hen is filled with unique photos constructed of collage materials, including playing cards, eyeglasses, and bicycles just to name a few. The creatively non-traditional story is the classic tale with a touch of modern thrown in. If the reader enjoyed the classic, they are in for a treat upon reading this gem. The vocabulary is within reach of beginner readers as well.
Jennie
Jul 22, 2011 Jennie added it
Age: 3-6

Genre: Folktale/traditional tale

Diversity: work ethic

Illustrations: A mix of drawings incorporating artifacts of everyday life. A cat wearing headphones, a pig in sunglasses, a duck playing checkers. Modern and fun.

Personal response: A retelling of the original tale with modern illustrations. A fun read with a simple message.

Curriculum: This story could be used in conjunction with a lesson on sharing and responsibility as an example of why people should work together.
Analee
Dec 18, 2008 Analee rated it it was amazing
The best little red hen book I've seen. The illustrations are hillarious. My daughter will ask for this over and over. We make all the actions and I always have to say, "then I will do it myself, with Afton."
Dolly
Jul 03, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A hilarious take on a classic story. I love the picture of them playing cards and of the little red hen on the bicycle. We probably spent more time looking and commenting on the pictures than on the story itself, as we've all heard it before. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Roslyn Ross
Jul 05, 2015 Roslyn Ross rated it it was ok
-There are more entertaining versions of this story.
-I don't even care for the moral all that much, what a passive aggressive brat this hen is--as in--this book does not teach children to assert their needs and communicate their needs clearly.
Rachelle
Feb 10, 2016 Rachelle rated it it was amazing
There are dozens of versions of The Little Red Hen. Why should you choose this version over the others? The illustrations! The Little Red Hen wears snazzy blue glasses and her friends play cards, shoot pool, and watch Hairy Trotter on television. It's such a fun book.
Michelle Gray
The story is pretty standard but the illustrations are this strange photo/photoshopped scenes of animals that is a little weird.
Lindsay
Mar 13, 2008 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
farm animals, responsibility, working together
MissInformation
Nov 01, 2008 MissInformation rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
weirdly illustrated but good tellilng of the classic. Simple and repetitive. Godd for Story Time.
Christine Turner
Christine Turner rated it liked it
May 08, 2009
 ☠☼Serena☼☠
☠☼Serena☼☠ rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2008
Emily Duran
Emily Duran rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Norma
Norma rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
May 10, 2008
Penny
Penny rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
Melissa Ricks
Melissa Ricks rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2011
Mare
Mare rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2009
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2011
Miss Kinders
Miss Kinders rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Apr 04, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Read by Benedict Cumberbatch. Enough said. *le sigh*
Danielle Striebel
Danielle Striebel rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2013
Mary Taylor
Mary Taylor rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Keri Lynne
Keri Lynne rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2011
Deanna
Deanna rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Evan
Evan rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2015