Start by marking “Big Fat Hen” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  519 ratings  ·  76 reviews
One, two, buckle my shoe. Three, four, shut the door . . . . Nine, ten, big fat hen! Now young children can enjoy a popular nursery rhyme and learn to count, too. Keith Baker's delightful illustrations filled with eggs and chicks (and bugs) are sure to tickle little ones for hours of read-aloud fun.
Published April 1st 1999 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 30th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Big Fat Hen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Fat Hen

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinBark, George by Jules FeifferThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
81st out of 291 books — 144 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsAn Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale CummingsBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
Best Toddler Books
290th out of 301 books — 298 voters

More lists with this book...

Chelsea Horton
Such a cute counting book! It adds rhymes as you go such as 1, 2 buckle my shoe and 3, 4 shut the door. The illustrations are cute as well! It is a cartoon-like hen and you are counting her eggs. In the end the book shows the hen's friends and all of their eggs/chicks together. Kids will love the colors, rhyming, and of course seeing the adorable baby chicks!
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby Lap Time on 4/8/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Time on 9/28/11 and 9/29/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Time on 2/1/12 & 2/2/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Lap Time on 3/23/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Time on 4/4/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Time on 8/9/12 and 8/10/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Ti
Michelle
Beautifully illustrated, with warm golden backgrounds, rich vibrant colors and textures, and full of delightful little details and surprises, Keith Baker’s Big Fat Hen is a big, beautiful counting book! Baker successfully takes a simple rhyme and adds complex detail through visual imagery. The Illustrations, done in warm and luminous acrylics on illustration board, simply glow, and hand-lettered text is playful, well-placed, bold and easy to see. Children will enjoy counting with big fat hen and ...more
Becca Buckman
Big Fat Hen is a children’s book illustrated by Keith Baker. The counting book is a great enjoyment for students of all ages. The rhyming pages tell the story of a big fat hen, her friends and their eggs. The chicks spend their time going through the numbers 1-10 to complete various acts around their hen house!

a.) This counting adventure gives readers the opportunity to bring the rhyme “Big Fat Hen” to life.

b.) As opposed to placing a poster on the board and hoping the students memorize each lin
Davina Cuffee
1. Picture Book-Counting

2. As Big Fat Hen lays her eggs, she is joined by her friends and their chicks to make more and more numbers. By the end of the story, there are so many hens and baby chicks to count!

3a. Rhyming; illustrations

3b. The rhyming in this books truly helps the reader if they have difficulty reading. The rhyming words make it easier for readers to relate words and numbers. The illustrations are absolutely amazing! Everything stated in the text is going on in the picture as well.
Melissa
Illustrated by Keith Baker

Genre: Counting

A cute rhyming story that counts up to ten. The pictures are wonderful.

Critique:
A. The area for critique is definitely the illustrations.
B. The illustrator uses shading and many colors to make this book memorable. I am not quite sure of the technique here but I think it is a paint/pastel combination. The author uses both pages to illustrate one idea.
C. I particularly like the first page, 1 and 2. The hen has laid 2 eggs but she is chasing a d
Blair
Genre: Counting

Summary: A classic nursery rhyme of numbers is retold and depicted with colorful illustrations.

Critique: A. Rhyme
B. This story is told in a simple rhyme scheme that is easily related to small children. Using numbers as rhyming words allows children to remember them and recognize them.
C. For example, the story says, "3, 4, shut the door." This is a simple line that many children would remember and is easy to say.

Curriculum Connection: This story would be most effective for presc
Lamar Sanders
Main Characters: Six big fat hens and a plethora of their offspring
Point of View: 3rd person
Plot: The book follows six hens as they lay their eggs and hatch baby chicks. As the book progresses, the eggs laid increases by 2, all the way up to 10.
Main Ideas:Counting, Rhyming, Sequencing

The illustrations are awesomely vibrant and complement the simple story line very well. The rhyming and counting make the story very entertaining and engaging. I was surprised at how industrious the newly hatched ba
Samantha Penrose
Nov 18, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids learning to recognize numbers and/or words
Shelves: kids-books
This familiar nursery rhyme is a great way to help your child learn to recognize numbers, or learn to read.
The illustrations give clear visual clues as to what number or verse is in the accompanying text. For every odd number there is a corresponding number of insects milling around in the picture and for every even number there are that many eggs piling up with the mama hen. For every rhyming verse you will see the chicks (from the eggs on the previous page) performing said task. (One, -dragonf
Kristy
I thought the book was adorable, but the preschoolers I read to did not have enough of a grasp on rhyming to truly enjoy it. Yet the book was so simple I'm not sure K's would enjoy it.

Okay for storytime.
Tiffany
What a great simple book for counting. Hens are the main theme of this picture book. Majestic illustrations of hen fill this wonderful book that is perfect for storytime with babies and toddlers.
Dani Paiz
Goes through the Big Fat Hen rhyme. It's good for counting to ten. The book is good for vocabulary and print awareness. I'd recommend it for ages 1-3.
Aprils
I think it would be fun to read the book aloud to children aged 2-5 and have them count the number of objects on the page.
Maggie KutsBorg
Some of the kids knew this rhyme well enough to say it along with me, and almost all of the parents did as well. Really good.
The Book Box
Dec 09, 2014 The Book Box added it
Shelves: library
Mama read this to me for her baby literacy class. I loved being bounced when we read "a big fat hen!"
Meg McGregor
The perfect book to teach counting and farm animals together! Outstanding illustrations bring life to the traditional counting rhyme and little ones will spend hours reading this book over and over again!

I just wish it came in board book form as well as a traditional hardback.
Ashley Dement
Big Fat Hen is a very simple book that teaches children how to count to ten but the illustrations in the book are very detailed and help to grab the reader’s attention. I found it very strange that the cover did not include the author’s name, it just simply had a giant, colorful chicken and in smaller font “big fat hen”. The illustrator uses a large variety of lines and shapes in order to add texture to his illustrations. The pictures are all big and detailed and filled with an assortment of war ...more
B
Nice counting story for toddlers and preschoolers.
pati
Nursery rhyme with a twist at the end!
Leslie
Terrific board book of a classic rhyme!
Babytime: Bedtime
Vivian
Baker's picture books are all winners for story times and lap sharing.
Amanda
One of my absolute favorite rhymes to use in storytime. Watching the chicks perform each task ties the activities together, and the illustrations are attractive. I also appreciate this version of the rhyme, which ends at ten and then goes on to acknowledge the chicks in perfect rhythm with the rest of the rhyme.
Erin
Simple classic nursery rhyme "one, two--buckle my shoe" told with saturated colors and a big fat hen. Great counting book that respects children's intelligence--for example, the one, two page has two eggs and one dragonfly, but doesn't label them "one dragonfly" or "two eggs". At the end, there is a lot of counting to do as well. Good conversation starter about different animals and vocabulary around them (and the word buckle).
Hannah
Big Fat Hen is a really good book! It contains very colorful images which can help to catch a reader's eye! This book helps children to learn their numbers by using rhymes. I can see myself using this book in my classroom because it is an easy read, but very helpful at the same time! I would recommend this book to any parents who are in need of a little help with teaching their children how to count.
Jo Oehrlein
A 2 page spread for each half line of the rhyme (so, "1, 2" is a 2 page spread and "buckle my shoe" is another 2 page spread). You can find the items corresponding with the numbers on the number page. The 2nd number always matches up with eggs. On the next 2 page spread, the eggs have hatched and are now chicks!

The illustrations are bright and beautiful. The hens have a lot of colorful character.
Julie
Jun 22, 2013 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
The colorful math book features number comparison, object grouping, addition, and subtraction in this story is very entertaining and engaging. It would be also a good way to help children to recognize numbeers or learn to read for preschool aged children. The simple rhymes with the numbers could be used throughout the activites(counting/numbers/rhyming words) in the classroom or home.
Ariel Cummins
A really nice illustrated version of 1,2, Buckle My Shoe. Nothin' fancy or fractured going on here - the text is the straight rhyme.

Beautiful and vibrant pastels accompany this pleasantly large book.

Excellent, excellent story time book for toddlers or even babies. As a regular addition, it's fun to chant along with.
Christina Mack
What an eye appealing way to count to ten. The familiar numbers and ryhming words in this story brought the beautiful illustrations to life.

extension: using craft sticks, dolls, animal figurines etc. you can show the quantity of the numbers 1-10.

MD1c: counts objects using one-to-one correspondence.
Megan
Nov 11, 2011 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddlers-preschool
It seems like the simple nursery rhyme, but look closely on each page, and you'll see a number of objects matching the numbers being said in the rhyme. The first page just says "1, 2..." but the illustrations are of 1 dragonfly and 2 eggs. Read this one-on-one with a little one and practice counting.
  • Hello, Day!
  • Five Little Chicks
  • Clip-Clop
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Higher! Higher!
  • Peekaboo Morning
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • Monkey And Me
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
More about Keith Baker...
No Two Alike 1-2-3 Peas Little Green Peas: A Big Book of Colors Hickory Dickory Dock Who is the Beast?