Start by marking “Big Fat Hen” as Want to Read:

Big Fat Hen

One, two, buckle my shoe. Three, four, shut the door . . . . Nine, ten, big fat hen! Now young children can enjoy a popular nursery rhyme and learn to count, too. Keith Baker's delightful illustrations filled with eggs and chicks (and bugs) are sure to tickle little ones for hours of read-aloud fun.
Published April 1st 1999 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 30th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Big Fat Hen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Fat Hen

Chelsea Horton
Nov 24, 2012 Chelsea Horton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Such a cute counting book! It adds rhymes as you go such as 1, 2 buckle my shoe and 3, 4 shut the door. The illustrations are cute as well! It is a cartoon-like hen and you are counting her eggs. In the end the book shows the hen's friends and all of their eggs/chicks together. Kids will love the colors, rhyming, and of course seeing the adorable baby chicks!
Oct 30, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicken-books
My kids really like this book. The artwork is bright and colorful and each hen as her own fanciful designs on her feathers. The chicks are really adorable. It's a fun take on the nursery rhyme "One, two, buckle my shoe". Really, really cute.
Molly
This is an illustrated version of the classic nursery rhyme, "One, Two, Buckle My Shoe." It has great illustrations of a mother hen, her eggs and, eventually, chicks. It worked well in storytime.
Judy
Dec 21, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
There aren't many words in this book, just a few phrases from the "one, two, buckle my shoe" rhyme. Sometimes, when we read it, we just tell the picture story about chickens, eggs, and baby chicks. And, once the child has developed the basic idea of counting, there are lots of opportunities to focus on numbers -- counting eggs, chicks, bugs, hens -- as well as pointing out the written numbers 1-10.
Chelsea Kirkland
Theme(s): Counting, Food Cycle, Diversity
Opening line/sentence:
"1, 2..."
Brief Book Summary:
This is a book about counting the eggs the hen hatched. Then, there are five more hens throughout the book who lay eggs, as the number of eggs count across the pages. It follows the rhyme, "1, 2, buckle my shoe." At the end there six hens who lay may eggs for the reader to count.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Horn
Elizabeth
Genre: Concept Book, Counting Book
Theme(s): Alphabet, Animals, rhyme, Music
Opening line/sentence: One, two, buckle my shoe. Three, four, shut the door…. Nine, ten, big fat hen!
Brief Book Summary:
Newly hatched chicks “buckle” a shoe, they close a door, pick up sticks and lay them in a line as they rhyme and count along to their actions.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Preschool Education Library
One, Two.... buckle my shoe. This classicnursery rhyme ta
Jackie
Oct 15, 2015 Jackie added it
Illustrator:
Genre: Nursery Rhymes
Theme(s): Counting Books, Chickens
Opening line/sentence: 1,2... Buckle my shoe.
Brief Book Summary: This book follows the pattern of the nursery rhyme 1, 2, buckle my shoe, in the format of a chicken and her eggs. In the book, "big fat Hen", counts her eggs and the author includes bright illustrations of the chicken and the eggs.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: 32 pp. Harcourt (Harcourt Trade Publishers) ISBN 0-15-29286
Michelle
Oct 20, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Beautifully illustrated, with warm golden backgrounds, rich vibrant colors and textures, and full of delightful little details and surprises, Keith Baker’s Big Fat Hen is a big, beautiful counting book! Baker successfully takes a simple rhyme and adds complex detail through visual imagery. The Illustrations, done in warm and luminous acrylics on illustration board, simply glow, and hand-lettered text is playful, well-placed, bold and easy to see. Children will enjoy counting with big fat hen and ...more
Becca Buckman
Nov 15, 2011 Becca Buckman rated it liked it
Big Fat Hen is a children’s book illustrated by Keith Baker. The counting book is a great enjoyment for students of all ages. The rhyming pages tell the story of a big fat hen, her friends and their eggs. The chicks spend their time going through the numbers 1-10 to complete various acts around their hen house!

a.) This counting adventure gives readers the opportunity to bring the rhyme “Big Fat Hen” to life.

b.) As opposed to placing a poster on the board and hoping the students memorize each lin
Davina Cuffee
Nov 07, 2011 Davina Cuffee rated it liked it
1. Picture Book-Counting

2. As Big Fat Hen lays her eggs, she is joined by her friends and their chicks to make more and more numbers. By the end of the story, there are so many hens and baby chicks to count!

3a. Rhyming; illustrations

3b. The rhyming in this books truly helps the reader if they have difficulty reading. The rhyming words make it easier for readers to relate words and numbers. The illustrations are absolutely amazing! Everything stated in the text is going on in the picture as well.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby Lap Time on 4/8/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Time on 9/28/11 and 9/29/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Time on 2/1/12 & 2/2/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Lap Time on 3/23/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Time on 4/4/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Time on 8/9/12 and 8/10/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Ti
Melissa
Oct 27, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Illustrated by Keith Baker

Genre: Counting

A cute rhyming story that counts up to ten. The pictures are wonderful.

Critique:
A. The area for critique is definitely the illustrations.
B. The illustrator uses shading and many colors to make this book memorable. I am not quite sure of the technique here but I think it is a paint/pastel combination. The author uses both pages to illustrate one idea.
C. I particularly like the first page, 1 and 2. The hen has laid 2 eggs but she is chasing a d
Blair
Oct 08, 2012 Blair rated it really liked it
Genre: Counting

Summary: A classic nursery rhyme of numbers is retold and depicted with colorful illustrations.

Critique: A. Rhyme
B. This story is told in a simple rhyme scheme that is easily related to small children. Using numbers as rhyming words allows children to remember them and recognize them.
C. For example, the story says, "3, 4, shut the door." This is a simple line that many children would remember and is easy to say.

Curriculum Connection: This story would be most effective for presc
Jill
Feb 19, 2016 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: ra-shortlist
This one has wonderful illustrations that are very simple and clear, but have a lot of interest because of their colors and textures. It is another book that would be great for dialogic reading, because the eggs and chicks almost beg to be counted on each page, alongside the text itself. This is a great book for phonological awareness because it contains a well-known nursery rhyme with a little extra at the end. The rhymes are simple and very straightforward. I think the real beauty of this part ...more
Courtney Poulin
This counting book is a simple spin-off of the “One, Two, Buckle My Shoe” nursery rhyme. The book felt short although it does meet the average number of pages for a picture book of its level. There seems to be two story lines occurring at the same time, alternating between pages. One includes newly hatched chicks acting out the nursery rhyme, the other features the mother hens surrounded by objects that correspond to the numbers on the pages. The text is beautiful and hand-lettered. The illustra ...more
Lamar Sanders
Jul 16, 2012 Lamar Sanders rated it it was amazing
Main Characters: Six big fat hens and a plethora of their offspring
Point of View: 3rd person
Plot: The book follows six hens as they lay their eggs and hatch baby chicks. As the book progresses, the eggs laid increases by 2, all the way up to 10.
Main Ideas:Counting, Rhyming, Sequencing

The illustrations are awesomely vibrant and complement the simple story line very well. The rhyming and counting make the story very entertaining and engaging. I was surprised at how industrious the newly hatched ba
Samantha Penrose
Nov 18, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids learning to recognize numbers and/or words
Shelves: kids-books
This familiar nursery rhyme is a great way to help your child learn to recognize numbers, or learn to read.
The illustrations give clear visual clues as to what number or verse is in the accompanying text. For every odd number there is a corresponding number of insects milling around in the picture and for every even number there are that many eggs piling up with the mama hen. For every rhyming verse you will see the chicks (from the eggs on the previous page) performing said task. (One, -dragonf
Melissa Holt
Mar 31, 2015 Melissa Holt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-showcase
This book is a great book to read to children. The words in this book are to the tune of 1,2 buckle my shoe. Even though, this book is more math than language and literacy you could do a language and literacy assignment, maybe have the children with their creative minds come up with another version of the song 1 2 buckle my shoe. This book is very colorful and has great illustrations. The book does not just have to teach children about math and language and literacy it can also teach them about ...more
Ashley Dement
Oct 06, 2009 Ashley Dement rated it liked it
Big Fat Hen is a very simple book that teaches children how to count to ten but the illustrations in the book are very detailed and help to grab the reader’s attention. I found it very strange that the cover did not include the author’s name, it just simply had a giant, colorful chicken and in smaller font “big fat hen”. The illustrator uses a large variety of lines and shapes in order to add texture to his illustrations. The pictures are all big and detailed and filled with an assortment of war ...more
Susan
Aug 28, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, storybook
I am not sure why but was surprised by this one - I guess I had forgotten about the childhood counting rhyme that ends in 'a big fat hen'.

I did not particularly like this one. It seems to feature a bunch of hens who essentially ignore their chicks, while the chicks do a bunch of tasks around the coop (some of them 'pick up sticks and lay them straight' are pretty nonsensical). I am all for mothers having lives and identities outside and alongside being mothers, but do not understand the neglige
Erin
Oct 12, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Simple classic nursery rhyme "one, two--buckle my shoe" told with saturated colors and a big fat hen. Great counting book that respects children's intelligence--for example, the one, two page has two eggs and one dragonfly, but doesn't label them "one dragonfly" or "two eggs". At the end, there is a lot of counting to do as well. Good conversation starter about different animals and vocabulary around them (and the word buckle).
Tionna Parker
Apr 06, 2015 Tionna Parker rated it it was amazing
Big fat hen is a book that I read and just fell in love with.It has a easy to follow story line which most people already know because it is a popular nursery rhyme. The hen's and just all the illustrations just pop off the page with the vibrant colors that just catch your attention immediately. This book is great for young children because it can be read or sung and because it has counting and sequence throughout the story.
Jo Oehrlein
Aug 09, 2013 Jo Oehrlein rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, picture-books
A 2 page spread for each half line of the rhyme (so, "1, 2" is a 2 page spread and "buckle my shoe" is another 2 page spread). You can find the items corresponding with the numbers on the number page. The 2nd number always matches up with eggs. On the next 2 page spread, the eggs have hatched and are now chicks!

The illustrations are bright and beautiful. The hens have a lot of colorful character.
Hannah
Oct 09, 2011 Hannah rated it really liked it
Big Fat Hen is a really good book! It contains very colorful images which can help to catch a reader's eye! This book helps children to learn their numbers by using rhymes. I can see myself using this book in my classroom because it is an easy read, but very helpful at the same time! I would recommend this book to any parents who are in need of a little help with teaching their children how to count.
Jillian
Nov 07, 2016 Jillian rated it really liked it
Shelves: nursery-rhymes
Children get to enjoy a popular nursery rhyme while learning to count! This brings new life to the classic nursery rhyme "One, two buckle my shoe". A fun and educational read for young learners! This book is full of fun illustrations that are sure to delight the young reader. Learning to count is a key lesson for young people, and this makes it fun, while not straying too far from the nursery rhymes that adults grew up loving.

recommended for preschool through first grade.
Benjamin
A biting allegory of the decline of the traditional Midwestern farm, this bittersweet reflection on the costs of urbanization will delight your child with its vibrant colors and reminders that you can never turn back the clock.

I kid. It's "One Two, Buckle My Shoe" with some fun pictures and a few extra lines. My two-year-old loves it, which means I've already read it a half-dozen times.

my favorite quote: "all their eggs..."
Julie
Jun 12, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
The colorful math book features number comparison, object grouping, addition, and subtraction in this story is very entertaining and engaging. It would be also a good way to help children to recognize numbeers or learn to read for preschool aged children. The simple rhymes with the numbers could be used throughout the activites(counting/numbers/rhyming words) in the classroom or home.
Ariel S
Mar 30, 2015 Ariel S rated it it was amazing
Title: Big Fat Hen
Author: Keith Baker. He went to school to study illustration. He also writes young adult books.
Illustrator: Keith Baker.
Review: This is a good book on teaching children how to count. It has adorable illustrations. The book also contains some good cause and effect examples.
June
Apr 11, 2016 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, parents, teachers
Recommended to June by: Elissa?
Another go to for my spring chicken Lap Time program. Baker's pictures are big & bright for this classic rhyme with a little twist at the end.
4/11/12

Worked well again! 4/22/14

So worth while to get the picture book format! Used again. 3/31/15

Used in PJ, had a cranky, sleepy toddler and thought the bright pictures might work
  • Hello, Day!
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Toot Toot Beep Beep
  • My Car
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Barnyard Banter
  • Peekaboo Morning
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Higher! Higher!
  • Cows in the Kitchen
More about Keith Baker...