Start by marking “The Battle of Britain” as Want to Read:
The Battle of Britain

The Battle of Britain

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  29 reviews
'If Hitler fails to invade or destroy Britain, he has lost the war,' Churchill said in the summer of 1940.He was right.The Battle of Britain was a crucial turning point in the history of the Second World War. Had Britain's defences collapsed, Hitler would have dominated all of Europe and been able to turn his full attention east to the Soviet Union.

The German invasion of F
Published May 13th 2010 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about The Battle of Britain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battle of Britain

James
I really enjoyed reading this book, James Holland does a brilliant job in encompassing all aspects of the Battle of Britain not just Fighter Command. He details the role played by The Observer Corp, Bomber Command, the RN, the Home Guard, Radar and AA defence. From the German perspective he goes on to explain the roles of the U boats and S boats and the workings of the German High Command.
A significant portion of the book deals with the lead up to the Battle of Britain, the Battle of France is w
'Aussie Rick'
This book offers the reader a very enjoyable account of the five months between May and October 1940 when Germany invaded the Low Countries smashed France and chased the BEF back to England. The book covers the fighting in France, the retreat back to Dunkirk and then the German operations against England in preparation for 'Sealion', the invasion of Britain.

The book just doesn’t cover the aerial offensive but also the German naval operations that included the U-boats and Schnellboote's and also
Barbara Mader
This is a decent, accessible, popular history of the Battle of Britain. It brings in the personal experiences and reflections of a handful of pilots, gunners, and seamen from both the British and German military. Because I haven't read many books yet about the personal experiences of people serving in the German air force or navy, and none at all during the time of the Battle of Britain, those bits were of particular interest to me. There were also some character sketches of various American, Br ...more
Cathy
This book showed me how little I really knew about the Great War as my Grandad called it. It is amazing how much the outcome of that war depended on mistakes made by the German forces and some very good luck on the side of the allies.

It is not an easy read, but it is interesting - I found it wasn't dry like many history books, I suggest reading it in chunks rather than trying to read the whole thing in one go. It was definitely worth persevering with, especially as it brought to life real people
Scott
Most readers seem to like the author's approach of constructing an imagined narrative in which the author tells us what participants in the events were thinking, feeling, smelling, hearing, etc. But for me this was hugely distracting and annoying. Although the endnotes sometimes give clues about what sources were used to undergird the narrative, ultimately this book feels more like historical fiction than history. The approach makes it very difficult to discern what is truth, what might be truth ...more
Charlotte
Enjoyed reading both sides of the story. I found myself re-reading chapters and looking up people for whom I had never heard of. It was also good to read how there were Germans who did not slavishly follow Hitler and the Nazis. There was descent, but it also gave food for thought again, how easily people are swayed to an extreme hatred and aggression. A lesson we should all heed.
Bou
A very populair history novel about the Battle of Britain. James Holland mixes an overall account of the battle with personal stories from people who actually experienced it, from both sides. For someone who is generally interested in history (like me) it's a very enjoyable read.
Martyn Handley
First of all, the title of the book is a little misleading. You would think that it would focus on the aerial battle between the RAF and the Luftwaffe in 1940...but you'd be wrong. A large proportion of the book (at least half) deals with the German invasion of France and the Allies total inability to counteract the German Blitzkrieg offensive. The author explains that this is where the actual battle FOR Britain began, and I agree with this and don't have a problem with it, but the title of the ...more
Jesper Jorgensen
What can I say other than James Holland cuts some very good an readable books?

This time I was told how close Great Britain was to defeat in the summer and autumn of 1940, why she was not due to the clever set up and management of British defence assets and resources by Sir Huge Dowding. And of Churchill's 'clever hand' in choosing the right persons to the right posts in a time of utter urgency. (Like Lord Beaverbrook in charge of aircraft production)

And of the poor management of German resources
Steve Rippington
9.5/10.

Holland's 'Battle of Britain' is insightful, balanced and well written. Decades after the events covered in this book, the subject is still emotive. However, this book manages to look at the lead up to the Blitz objectively, without ever being dry or dull. The German side of the story is given as much attention as the British, and the atrocities, mistakes and difficulties for the Allies and the Axis are dealt with fairly.

The book starts with the declaration of war on Germany, by the Briti
Robert Morrow
The first part of the book, describing the fall of France and Dunkirk is both compelling and moving. The author intersperses the narrative with personal stories of the soldiers involved, and while sometimes this can be distracting, the stories become reflections on the absurdity of the war raging around them.

Unfortunately, the rest of the book falls flat; the narrative build-up is lost so much that when you finally get to the Battle of Britain, it's anti-climactic and lacks a coherent story lin
Mormonhermitmom
I only took one course of Military History in college, but I enjoyed it. I don't qualify as an "armchair tactician". That being said, I don't enjoy a work of military-focused nonfiction that goes too far into terms that only military personnel would understand. I can follow only a short ways before long acronyms and other jargon start to lose me.

This work by James Holland, fortunately, doesn't go too far that way. I learned a lot about 'the Blitz' from this book I hadn't known before.

For instan
Aleks
A massive and possibly definitive account of the Battle of Britain from the prelude including the rearming of Germany and creation of the Luftwaffe and the Fall of France. Holland is very comprehensive and debunks a lot of popular myths about the players and forces involved, but this book needed serious editing on the readability side. Holland tends to make unclear transitions and to give fascinating facts without sufficient explanation. I understand that Holland is a historian, not a novelist, ...more
Palmyrah
A square, thick book that covers the eponymous event comprehensively and from a wide range of perspectives. Holland argues that the Battle of Britain really began with the French and British defence against the German invasion of Belgium and France, which ended in the heroic but shambolic retreat from Dunkirk. He spends nearly all of the first half of the book on this, as well as on setting the scene with regard to politics in Britain, the changing role of America, the strategic decisions and ta ...more
Lee
Since the first nearly three hundred-plus pages deal with the German blitzkreig and the evacuation of the BEF from France, the title is a bit misleading but probably represents how Holland views the critical importance of not sending precious fighter squadrons to France where they would have certainly been largely destroyed.

His balanced, largely non-judgemental and occasionally humourous approach makes sense given that he is recounting events largely through the eyes of ordinary soldiers, pilots
Gary
It's not often that a book makes one cry, much less three times and a work of non-fiction at that.

This is a remarkably unbiased and objective account of those fateful months in 1940 when a scant few brave men from Britain and her Empire and a select few others (Czech, Polish and American volunteers) fought off the Nazi hordes, turning the tide of World War II and beginning the defense of global freedom.

The book is notable for its presentation of the conflict from both sides and for doing so from
Fraser Cook
Interesting and well paced exploration of Britain's finest hour. dispelling some myths, confirming others. Told from the viewpoint of both British and German personnel. Interesting viewpoint, that Hitler managed to invade Europe, defeat France, narrowly miss beating Britain, with troops that were vastly outnumbered by their better equipped French and British opposing forces. In the end, alone but for the commonwealth, Britian prevailed due to to better organisation, better tactics and indeed thr ...more
Vikas Datta
There is no shortage of books - well-researched and well-argued ones - on this vital flight but Mr Holland's account more than holds his own among the illustrious selection, as it seamlessly moves from the big grand strategic and strategic picture to a wealth of small details that arouse and maintain interest about the human angle including vivid and incisive pen-portraits of the senior commanders on both sides, the pilots engaged in combat and those waiting for them at home...
Andrew
The definitive account

Holland takes an expansive view of the battle, looking at the fighting in France and elsewhere in great detail before turning to the air war itself. But this approach pays off by giving the author a thorough insight into the strategy of bith sides both before and during those all-or-nothing months of 1940.

Thoroughly recommended - this is the benchmark for anybody writing about this sphere of the war.

Andrew
'The Policeman of Secrets'
A.N.Satrio
This is my first book related to battle of Britain and I think it gave an accurate information on the topic. I've always thought the British's Spitfire was the best WW-2 single fighter plane from the start which is not! the German ME109 was. Also, read to see how Hitler made a blunder that saves Britain, how German sole conviction defeat much stronger French-Britain forces in the first wars. Worth reading.
Stephen Mccullough
Interesting approach to argue the Luftwaffe's defeat in the Battle of Britain was partially due to the heavy losses it suffered in the successful conquest of France. One annoying habit of the author was to continually refer to people by their first name. This was good pop history but far from the definitive study of he topic.
Chaz
Definitive, demystifying, debunking, detailed. Must read for anyone interested in England's sole defiance against NAZI Germany in the summer of 1940.

A complicated story whittled down to 928 pages. A portal into the most exciting time of England's recent history.
Johan Hammar
A very good account of the battle! Although it took half of the book until they even left Dunkerque it gives a good account of the events that led up to the real subject and then a good picture from both sides.
Chris Wrampelmeier
This great book strikes that balance between the big and the small pictures of this important time in World War II. Easy to read, yet thoroughly researched, the book takes much less time to read than you might think.
Alex Ghio
Good enough, but its strength was in describing the Nazi invasion of Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg and France, and the background to the air war. The air war portion seems to lack insight.
Christopher
This is probably the best balanced Battle of Britain book I've read. Good information on events leading up to the battle putting things nicely in context.
Fernand
This book is a fascinating mixture of politics and every-day life in times of war.
A great introduction to World War II in Europe.
  • The Most Dangerous Enemy: A History of the Battle of Britain
  • Fighter Boys
  • Dunkirk: Fight To The Last Man
  • Wartime Britain 1939-1945
  • The Battle Of Britain: Myth and Reality
  • Dresden
  • Berlin at War: Life and Death in Hitler's Capital, 1939-45
  • First Light
  • A Question of Honor: The Kosciuszko Squadron: Forgotten Heroes of World War II
  • Inferno: The Fiery Destruction of Hamburg, 1943
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • The Dam Busters
  • Churchill's Wizards: The British Genius For Deception 1914–1945
  • The First And The Last
James Holland was born in Salisbury, Wiltshire, and studied history at Durham University. He has worked for several London publishing houses and has also written for a number of national newspapers and magazines. Married with a son, he lives near Salisbury.

More about James Holland...
The Odin Mission (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #1) Dam Busters: The True Story of the Legendary Raid on the Ruhr Fortress Malta: An Island Under Siege 1940-43 Darkest Hour (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #2) Blood of Honour (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #3)