Start by marking “The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,340,047 Ratings  ·  44,341 Reviews
Twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school . . . again. No matter how hard he tries, he can't seem to stay out of trouble. But can he really be expected to stand by and watch while a bully picks on his scrawny best friend? Or not defend himself against his pre-algebra teacher when she turns into a monster and tries to kill him? Of course, no ...more
Audio CD, Unabridged, 10 pages
Published June 14th 2005 by Listening Library

To ask other readers questions about The Lightning Thief, please sign up.

Juli Brom Yeah, pretty much everyone here is 100000000% correct, and by now you should have already read the book, but add to everyone here DUDE THE MOVIES…moreYeah, pretty much everyone here is 100000000% correct, and by now you should have already read the book, but add to everyone here DUDE THE MOVIES BRING SHAME TO EVERYONE'S RICE FEILDS AND COWS THAT MADE NO SENSE BUT STILL THE BOOK IS LIKE *AHHH FLOATS DOWN FROM OLYMPUS*(less)
Makenzie First off, the movies do not do the books justice :)

First off, the movies do not do the books justice :)

But yes, definitely read the books! I'm a teenager and I read the books a few years ago, but to this day it's one of my all-time favorite series. Riordan is an amazing writer, and once you start his books, you can't put them down! He does a great job with combining mythology with the modern day, so the stories seem all the more realistic.

While the first book is projected towards a younger audience, it's still action-packed and captivating. As the series progresses, Percy, the main character, grows and gets older so by the final book in the series he's 16, so as he matures, the books get older as well.

I also recommend these books because Rick has a follow-up series, called the Heroes of Olympus Series, which is for an older audience. Some of the characters from the Percy Jackson series carry over, so I recommend reading the first series to better understand the second (and I definitely recommend reading the follow-up series because it's just as good, if not better than the first).

Hope this helped!(less)

Ela
I'm slightly ashamed to say that I watched the movie before I read the book. But I'm even more ashamed that I watched the movie only to experience the hotness that is Logan Lerman.

But, come on! Someone tell me that this , is not hot:

Really. What did I tell you? (I do imagine that you probably won't read the rest of the review anf just stare at this gif instead, but that's no reason not to like my review! :D)

But, I really have to thank Logan. I really do. Because without his unfreakingbelieveabl
Sasha Alsberg
Mar 28, 2016 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need more......
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
A+ Writing
A+ Plot
A+ Characters
A+ MONSTERS

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I wish I hadn't watched the movie before reading it, because I felt like that ruined a bit of enjoyment of this book for me, but for the most part I had such a fun time reading this book and I'm looking forward to continuing on with the series.
Destinee Sutton
Jul 30, 2008 Destinee Sutton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Destinee by: The children of SPL
Mark
Nov 12, 2008 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
My sister recommended this series and I was pretty interested in it once I heard a basic summary of the plot. I must say, I was thoroughly disappointed.

The concept in itself is very creative. Son of a Greek god in modern times. He is dyslexic because he is meant to read ancient greek. That's clever. The translation of Greek gods to 21st, some were pretty well done, except for a few details here and there (a greek god would sick robot spiders against his enemies? Really?) The concept had promise.
Khanh (the Grinch)
Chiron looked surprised. “I thought that would be obvious enough. The entrance to the Underworld is in Los Angeles.
As someone who has worked in Los Angeles, I can tell you that this is completely accurate.

While Harry Potter was spending his summers at the Dursleys, Percy Jackson attended Camp Half-Blood. This book has done the impossible: it has redeemed the name of Percy.

Yes, that's right, that snot-faced, lily-livered waste of air of the very same name from the Harry Potter universe. That n
Emily May
Sep 30, 2013 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2014
Were you a bit weird in school? Or are you still in school and think you're kinda weird? I mean, everyone is weird, but you know that I mean. Maybe you didn't fit in, maybe people thought you were a bit of a loser. Maybe you had learning difficulties, were a target for bullies, got into trouble a lot, maybe it seemed like your teachers just didn't like you. Maybe you sucked at reading and were even diagnosed with dyslexia. Or ADHD.

Well, don't worry. Truth is, you're actually most likely a child
Cara
Dec 16, 2009 Cara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reluctant readers
Recommended to Cara by: Gerson
Really is there something I could say that hasn't been said? Doubtful, but in utterly stupid human style I will write a review anyway attempting to tell people how cool this book is.

This is plainly an awesome idea. I had always wondered what happened to the kids of half gods/goddess and humans. Here's the story to quench your curiosity. Percy Jackson has been dumped around from border school to border school. He has never been quite like anybody else, but as the end of sixth grade approaches h
Samadrita
EDIT 09/06/2013:- That's it. I have had my fill of too many stupid, brain-cell destroying comments posted on this review in the past few months asking me to write a 'best-selling book' before attempting to take apart Rick Riordan's writing. As if the exclusive privilege of negatively criticizing a book is accorded only to published writers and not ordinary reviewers/readers.
I do have the right to record my feelings about a book in my review. And it's such a shame that I am actually being forc
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Yet another review:

Well I feel like I've rewritten/updated my review of this like a billion times at this point, but I'm here to do it again. I re-read this over the span of the past two days when I had to take two super-long bus trips. This was the third time I've read the whole thing, I'm pretty sure (kind of the fourth time I guess, since I read a lot of it out loud to my younger siblings last year). There are few books that I loved when I was 12 that I still deeply love now, and this is one
karen
Nov 16, 2010 karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a perfect book for young teenagers. if you were trying to devise a formula for writing a perfect book for this age group, you could not have done much better than this.

1) mysterious parentage. kids are totally self-absorbed. some never grow out of it, of course, but in younger people, it is more excusable - their internal life makes up the majority of their experience, they are used to being the center of attention and they spend a lot of time thinking about themselves and fantasizing. s
Kat O'Keeffe
Jan 01, 2013 Kat O'Keeffe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book SO MUCH! Great characters, awesome world, fantastic writing, entertaining story--I can't think of any negatives! I will be adding the rest of the series (books 2-5) to my April TBR so I can read them ASAP!
мαүғℓσωεя

Who knew middle school books could make me gush and squeal like a 12-year old. I loves!!!

description

Can we just appreciate how much FAN ART there is in this fandom???!!!??? ٩(^ᴗ^)۶

“If you’re reading this because you think you might be one, my advice is: close this book right now. Believe whatever lie your mom or dad told you about your birth, and try to lead a normal life.

This book is informative, interesting, funny, charming, it’s just all of the above and I’m already trash.

The Lightening Thief,
Mohammed Arabey
Nov 09, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mohammed by: Raoofa Ibrahim
One of the Greatest Urban Fantasy's Beginning I've ever read.

Now as I join Hogwarts every 1st of September & leave by May. I'll spend my Summers in Half Blood Camps.
It's awfully late for me, I know. But I was stubborn enough to not listen to 2 of my best half blood friends here on Goodreads to visit meet the Olympians.
“Gods—the forces you call the Greek gods—are very much alive.”

I can't believe it's just Mr. Rick Riordan’s first novel.
And Believe me if you didn't read it..you missed a real g
Kimi
Jan 20, 2017 Kimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

Buddyread with the demigod squad мαү, Jenn and Chara

Illustrations by: KAIAYAME

“Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.”

More like 3.5 stars to be honest.

I wish I had read this book when I was a kid. I feel like 12 year old Kimi would have absolutely adored it. That being said I still really enjoyed it as a 23 year old. It was a pretty awesome little adventure and I'm glad I read it.

➨Grover is definitely my favorite character of the series so far. He's basically
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I am FINALLY getting around to reading this series.

I thought the movies were okay, I do wish they would remake them and make them better, like the books =)

Poor Percy.

Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood.
If you're reading this because you think you might be one, my advice is: close the book right now. Believe whatever lie your mom or dad told you about your birth, and try to lead a normal life.

Being a half-blood is dangerous. It's scary. Most of the time, it gets you killed in painful, nas
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
Dec 29, 2015 Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) by: the whole world

Oh, what's this box? TOMATOES? Aw, now, you don't want to do this do you? I swear I can explain!! Just hear me out, okay?

Had I read The Lightning Thief at 10, I would have loved it - Hell, I just bought 15 copies for my pupils - but unfortunately it failed to wow me this time around. I know what you're thinking : really, you're just too old for Middle-Grade, why are you rating it on an adult scale? I would be tempted to agree, except it's more complex than that. See, in this Middle-Grade experim
Darth J
Apr 01, 2013 Darth J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Darth J by: G
Shelves: series
"Who's your favorite Greek god?" my cousin asked.

"Poseidon," I answered immediately. With that, she began to sell me on this series...

I originally wrote this one off as just another Harry Potter rip-off (which it basically is. Don't believe me? "Half-bloods" and the fact that instead of a prep school for wizards it's a summer camp for bastards of Greek gods). But it does have some good points, especially if you are a teacher trying to get your mid-grade class interested in mythology. I was put o
BlueLilyxLilyBlue
For some reason, I did not think I was going to like this book. I was worried because it was a Middle Grade book, I wouldn't like it too much. But no, I was so wrong. I LOVED THIS BOOK!

Of course it wasn't perfect. Some things that happened on this book are questionable, but then again, this is a Middle Grade book. I shouldn't compare the writing or the depth of this book to an Adult book or even a Young Adult book.

This series is even better than some of the YA/Adult books I've read.

And no, I am
Natalie Monroe
How do I begin to explain the awesomeness that is this series...?

Percy Jackson is flawless.

It has two Celestial bronze daggers and a sliver chariot.

I hear its pages are insured for $10,000.

I hear it does Diet Coke commercials in Greece.

Its favorite movie is Disney's Hercules.

One time, it met JK Rowling on a plane and she told it it was the next Harry Potter.

One time, it punched me in the feels... It was awesome!

StoryTellerShannon
If you like Harry Potter, you will probably like this book, too. Come to think of it, if you do not like HP, you may still like this book. Recommended reading ages are grades 5-9 but if you're younger and like to read this book may very well be fine . . . and, this book is actually written well enough for adults to enjoy as well.

Tale focuses on a 12 year old boy named Percy who isn't getting along with just about everyone in school and soon discovers part of his problems are related to the fac
Namratha
HALF-BOY, HALF-GOD, ALL HERO!!....the Tagline says it all. Percy Jackson is your quintessential pre-teen, dyslexic and suffering from ADHD. Getting into unexplainable scraps and shuffled from school to school, he pretty much accepts the fact that he’s destined to be......well, one big Loser.

Little does he know that he’s a ‘Half-Blood’, an off spring of a powerful Greek God and a mortal woman. And there is a special place for him, “Camp Half-Blood” which houses and protects other such demigods, n
Wren | WrensReads
WrensReads Review:

Wooooah buddy, talk about your twist, monsters, humor and, honestly, some education!

So, yes, this series is a little below my reading level, but I knew I wanted to read this series because I have always had a love for the Greek belief! The stories and the craziness that are the Greek gods and goddesses (you know, sleeping with whoever they want to sleep with and making half-gods-half-humans aka heros) are even mentioned in this book! But in a way that still makes it okay for th
K.D. Absolutely
Feb 12, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Joyzi
Shelves: series, ya
I knew almost nothing about Greek and Roman mythologies prior to reading this book. So, while reading the first two chapters and when I had difficulty following what's going on, particularly who were those characters, I picked up and started reading Edith Hamilton’s Mythology. After finishing the first chapter of that book, I resumed my reading and then I could follow.

The reason for my ignorance was that my teachers in elementary, high school and college did not bother teaching about those gods
Kainat Ijaz 《UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT》
I have a feeling i'll enjoy this a lot more than Harry Potter.
What can i say, i have a soft spot for clever and humorous characters. (Harry was neither)
Joyzi
Jul 15, 2009 Joyzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Potter
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
banner Pictures, Images and Photos

I first watched the movie version of this book that I really enjoyed and so I became interested to read the book.

So I just want to say that I rate it four stars because the story is about Greek mythology in the modern world, which is good because I loved mythology ever since.

I love the characters in the story especially Percy Jackson who in the story have dyslexia and ADHD, so in the story at first, he was not very good at school and he viewed himself as a loser because of that.

It really tou
Bentley ★ Book Bastion
Can ya'll believe I've never read this series before? I picked up the first 3 books on a whim the other day and am excited to give it a go.

RTC.
Raegan
Don't judge a book by it's movie!
Etnik
Sep 11, 2016 Etnik marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I don't care if this is middle grade literature.I am starting this soon!
Amber Robertson
EDIT 11/01/17: So, apparently Percy Jackson is being turned into a musical (yeah, I don't know how to feel about that) and Rick Riordan posted a clip of the guy playing Percy on his instagram (still don't know how to feel about it) so, here's the link for anyone who hasn't seen it because I need to discuss it with people: https://instagram.com/p/BPGUNMLh88z/

“You shall go west, and face the god who has turned;
You shall find what was stolen, and see it safely returned;
You shall be betrayed by one
  • Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)
  • The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)
  • Into the Gauntlet (The 39 Clues, #10)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)
  • Dragon's Breath (Tales of the Frog Princess, #2)
  • Leven Thumps and the Eyes of the Want (Leven Thumps, #3)
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)
  • Rising Storm (Warriors, #4)
  • Scumble (Savvy, #2)
  • Gregor and the Code of Claw (Underland Chronicles, #5)
  • The Lost City of Faar (Pendragon, #2)
  • School's Out—Forever (Maximum Ride, #2)
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)
  • The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • The Immortal Fire (Cronus Chronicles, #3)

More about Rick Riordan...

Percy Jackson and the Olympians (5 books)
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)

“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.” 7491 likes
“Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.” 5057 likes