Body, Mind, and Sport: The Mind-Body Guide to Lifelong Health, Fitness, and Your Personal Best

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Until recently, the effortless "Zone" of peak performance was only within the reach of serious athletes. Now, with Body, Mind, and Sport, anyone can reach the Zone, regardless of fitness level.

Designed to accommodate a variety of individual fitness needs, the Body, Mind, and Sport program is split into two levels. Level 1 is for non-athletes who want to improve overall fi...more
Published March 13th 2001 by Harmony (first published February 8th 1994)

Tamarind
This is a phenomenal book. To be honest, I almost didn't read it because, frankly, the summary seemed incredibly boring, and I've never been particularly interested in athletics. But with every chapter, I was constantly surprised at the skillful writing and fascinating material. This book has deeply influenced my thoughts and actions regarding health, fitness, and what it means to live a life in balance. I highly recommend this book to anyone who does any kind of physical activity AND to anyone...more
Susan Knause
I appreciated the techniques related to breathing, etc. I am not so sure about selecting my sports and diet based on hair color and height though?
Mugga
As a runner that has had a fair share of injuries, I was curious about this book which was recommended to me by my friend who is a rower. Having practiced yoga for 6 years, the nasal breathing techniques and sun salutation warm ups seem like a good idea. Other aspects of the book, I took with a grain of salt such as dietary restrictions and times of day to work out based on body type.

For a couple of weeks I've been running with a heart rate monitor and breathing through my nose. I'm going a lot...more
Isabella Burke
Everyone has there own way of explaining things, this is another example. Again, recommended to me by a lifeguarding colleague in North Devon, a book that is now as far as I understand - out of print. I like it, because I think it makes sense and allows you to accept that you will be good at some things and not at others - so capitalize on those good things and don't try and fight to be what you are not Kappa, Vata and Pitta.......A book to keep to refer to once in a while.
Ioan Mosincat
Interesting approach to exercising, that of "less is more" (train at an optimal heart rate/breath rate, around 50-60% of your maximum).
Also, the breathing advises are very solid and helpful.
I give it only 4 stars for now, since I haven't tried all the recommendations in the book.
Reid
I have spent a lot of time focusing on the nasal breathing techniques explained in this book. While I haven't had an amazing epiphany or really experienced the "runners high", I do think it has helped my running ability and my overall cardiovascular fitness
Lise Windfeld Bornerup
A splendid book that advise and emphasize nasal breathing. I would have appreciated the book even more of the author had recommended the knowledge about nasal breathing there is to be forund inside the Buteyko Breathing method.
Glenn
Didn't like this book at all. Hard to understand. What I got out of it was that people with certain body types will be better at different activities, so those are the activities that you should participate in.
Shelley
I've been trying his suggested breathing techniques and they're working like a charm. I used to have such difficulty running even just a mile, but now I can do it with relative ease after only a couple of weeks.
Jess
I didn't read this book straight through, but in chunks. I found a lot of it to be a little kooky, but the breathing techniques, which I also use in yoga, have been mildly helpful on my distance runs.
Simone
This is a new way for me to run. I'm tired of being tired. So far, I like what I've been reading. This practice integrates Yoga nose-breathing and listening to the body. There's a novel concept.
Andrea Feucht
Using this along with Maffetone's training book(s) for my running and general health. It's good philosophy that centers around breathing - kind of like how to do sports with a yogic mentality.
Kelly
Liked the connection of ayurvedic principles to fitness and nutrition. Found the breathing techniques and body reading reminders very helpful.
Seth
Dr. Douillard is one of my teachers and both his teachings and this book are a great resource for upgrading the quality of exercise in your life.
Tom Davis
Some of the author's ideas may make sense, but the mechanisms he proposes are total crap. It reminded me of the book/video, "The Secret".
Rhea
a must read for all athletes and yoga practitioners. It was a major paradigm shift for me.
Leann
Some very curious concepts in this book. Worth a look through even if you get it from the library.
Gary Baker
Jan 14, 2013 Gary Baker marked it as to-read
fantastic was instrumental for me progressing from 3rd dan to 5th dan in Shotokai karate
Sunflower
Ayurvedic principles applied to athletic training with lots of anecdotes.
Aliza
My instructor recommended this one. Very interesting approach to exercise.
Chad
Author is kookoo
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Anna Young
Anna Young marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Noé Marco ortuño
Noé Marco ortuño marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Amanda Mclennan
Amanda Mclennan marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The 3-Season Diet: Eat the Way Nature Intended: Lose Weight, Beat Food Cravings, and Get Fit Perfect Health for Kids: Ten Ayurvedic Health Secrets Every Parent Must Know The 3-Season Diet: Solving the Mysteries of Food Cravings, Weight-Loss, and Exercise The Encyclopedia of Ayurvedic Massage Colorado Cleanse: 2 Week Detox and Digestion Boot Camp