Start by marking “Saint City Sinners” as Want to Read:
Saint City Sinners

Saint City Sinners (Dante Valentine #4)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  3,828 ratings  ·  122 reviews
Saint City has always been Dante Valentine's home. It's where she grew up, it's where her dead are buried, and it's where she learned to hunt.

Now, one call from an old friend will bring her back to investigate a murder too close to home for anyone's comfort. But the one person she trusted has just betrayed her.

Sometimes revenge is best served demon-hot...
Published November 1st 2007 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Saint City Sinners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saint City Sinners

Gloria Mundi
OK, so what can I say about this that I have not said about the previous instalments? Not much, I'm afraid. And that's not a good thing.

Pacing is still good (though action scenes are becoming more and more confusing), world building good, plot ok (while I do have some beef with the whole Gabe and Eddie dying sideline as it seemed completely unnecessary and irrelevant, the overall story arch developed nicely here) but it falls flat on its face in the execution. Japh is still an abusive control f
Anzu The Great Destroyer
*spoilers ahead
Hell has nothing on Saint City

What is up with the cheesy lines? If it weren’t for Working for the Devil I wouldn’t even bother with a book that had that rubbish on the cover. I feel forced to read this. I know I have one book left till I’m done with this series and I’m extremely happy about it.

Saint City Sinners is all about crying, shrugging, almost bruises, manhandling, unspoken feelings and annoying monologues. Maybe the cover should look more like this:

What else is happenin
Erin *The Paperback Stash*

I greatly enjoyed this series when it started, but the third starting kindling a fire in me against the protagonist. This one simply transformed it into all consuming RAGE.

For, you see, I hate Dante Valentine. She is ridiculously irritating. She's always a jumbled mess - never trusting Japh when he's there but angry if she wakes up and he's gone. She knows about all there is to know about what she is, but keeps running around moaning she doesn’t know enough. She doesn’t trust anyone. S
Tara
Inara
Japhrimel and Dante have gone to Cairo Giza after having defeated Lucifer with the help of Lucas Villalobos. During their stay Dante gets an urgent message by her friend Gabe she can´t ignore. Gabe´s husband Eddie has been murdered and Gabe wants Danny´s help to revenge his death. Japh isn´t happy in the least about it he knows about Danny´s promise to the Devil to hunt the escaped demons. But Danny isnt´t inclined to keep her promise and is determined to protect Eve at all costs even against Ja ...more
Kathy Davie
Fourth in the Dante Valentine fantasy series, Saint City Sinners continues with the demon hunt to which Japh and Dante have agreed although it takes second place to the disaster which has struck Eddie and Gabe.

Flying back to Santiago City, Dante promises to find Eddie’s killer and protect their daughter if something should happen to Gabe. Between the hunt for Eddie’s killer, avoiding the hell-escaped demons and their hellhounds, and staying under Japh’s radar, Dante finds herself questioning her
Bry
This book is just one gigantic exercise in annoyance and frustration. I had no idea I could get sooooooo annoyed with the main character and continue to read the series.

Dante Valentine is the most close minded, easily manipulated, dense, selfish, annoying character ever! Why does she trust Eve? Why does she distrust Japh? Why does she believe anything Eve says but disbelieves anything Japh says??? Oh Japh is a demon that's right, but lets all just conveniently forget the fact that Eve has been
Meike
Oh my.
The fourth volume of the Dante Valentine series, and it is as good as the second and third.

I won't talk as much about plotting (very good) and writing (great as well); what I wrote about the characterization of Dante in the reviews of volume two and three is still valid. She is sitting on the edge with her relationship with Japh, and when I try to explain my feelings about SCS, there seems to be a continual climax through the whole series, climaxing in a kind of cliffhanger-end of this v
Schnaucl
Robertb
I must say I can't seem to be able to read this series anymore unless I don't have anything else to do. However, that could be just me and plotwise it's really quite original and certainly interesting.

To be honest there's 2 things I dislike about most of this series.

1. The relationship between 2 main characters is soo like 14382907 other fantasy romance books that it makes me sick. I'm not going to elaborate further. Read some vampire fantasy / romance stuff that has "handsome, powerful, manly
Karissa
This is the fourth book in the Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow. I think it was back on par with the first book of the series, I really enjoyed it.

Japh and Dante (Danny) are in Egypt when Dante gets a message from Gabe. Gabe needs her help...now. Japh is not happy about giving up the demon hunt to help Gabe but agrees to do so. Dante begs Japh not to hunt down Eve while she is working on Gabe's case. As usual all hell (literally) breaks loose.

This book gave us back our tough, decisive,
Tracy
Better than the previous book in the series in that there is not as much navel-gazing. There is still too much of it, and it is beginning to be frustrating.

I expect that a character should grow throughout a series but Dante Valentine is becoming neither stronger nor more sensitive.

I really don't think that it would hurt the plot for the two main characters to actually tell one another what's going on occasionally. Is it that much harder to write an exciting novel without so much angst?

I like t
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Dante (Danny) Valentine, hedaira (human woman who has been given demon strength), psion, necromancer and bounty hunter returns to Saint City after her best friend Gabe contacts her and asks for her help.

Of course, she can't go anywhere without Tierce Japhrimel, Fallen, and Eldest attempting to strangle her, putting her to sleep against her will, or dragging her anywhere HE wants to go and then refusing to tell her what exactly he did to Dante when he injected his powers into her.

This series, to
Chessa
Sep 12, 2008 Chessa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
The fourth of the Dante Valentine series. Dante is a Necromance turned part-demon, and in this novel she is called home by her best friend to help solve a murder. This book was strange, like an episode (or season) of a TV series where they throw something different at you for a while, but you really just want to get back to the main story. Kind of frustrating. Like this whole series is, really.

I don't know why, but I just want to kick the main character's ass. She is so whiny and victim-like one
Marla
I really enjoyed this entire series! I read all of the books in less than a week. The one thing that keeps me from rating this 5 stars is the way the main character goes from a fantastic character that can accomplish most anything on her own to a helpless twit that can't even think without the help of others. Then, in the blink of an eye she's back to being able to think and act on her own again and back and forth. I mean everyone needs help and has to have the help of others but she goes from ...more
Tracy Terry
Told the story, part four in the series, began by repeating the last few pages of the previous novel and thus the plot was easy enough to pick up. I'm afraid I didn't find this to be the case but then that is no surprise when reading book one, Working For The Devil, felt like I'd joined the series midway through.

Taking into account that whilst I have read book one but not books two or three I shall be reviewing this on its own merits, as a novel in its own rights rather than as part of a series.
Illise Montoya
This book literally picks up where the last left off. I enjoyed this installment, like all its predecessors. It has good action, a fascinating setting, great tension, and a complex romance. I don't know what I can say about it, though, that I haven't already said of the previous books. Because Saint City Sinners picks up where The Devil's Right Hand leaves off, it has much of the same flavor. All that said, I did feel like there was a small lack of focus in the plot.

Dante is called back to Sain
May 01, 2008 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: demon freaks
Shelves: fluff

This book was much more gripping than the third, but I was still annoyed by the relationship between the main character and her demon. They're supposed to have the most intimate relationship imaginable, but they can't trust each other.

Despite that, the plot is gripping and this is the best book since the first one. I really feel I have to go out and buy No. 5.

I really like these books despite their flaws. Good escapist/fantasy exploits.
Rita
Bloated with plot but somehow still utterly uninteresting, this was perhaps the most repetitive and thin book of the series so far. I was increasingly less engaged as the action progressed, and by the close of the novel, I felt both frustrated and cheated. Most of the promise of the series was frittered away in this volume.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
NO! Why??? Why the death? I don't like this one as much. This went totally sideways for me. I'm so bummed I have to wait until the last book is written. I didn't want to end reading four books published in one weekend only to end on this terrible note. Gotta wait a few months.
Stacy
Dante starts to get a little whiny and you find yourself yelling at her to just trust in Japh for once, for god sake the Demon loves you...doesn't he? Still a great read!
Claire
This really frustrated me. Danny just seems to spend the whole book making stupid angry decisions, at times she seems to almost take pride in being totally oblivious. She complains that Japh never tells her anything but she doesn't really talk to him at all. Japh is also pretty horrible in this book as well.

I found the plot quite confusing swell- everyone has different agendas and is secretive so none of them know what the others are doing. Danny spends a lot of the time confused and so did I.

Al
Kathrine Nielsen
Oh wow, I'm so glad I didn't abandon the serie since I wasn't a fan of the last book. This book was awesome! I loved seeing the badass Dante instead of the whiny lovestruck Dante I saw in the last book. This book had action and a heroine that made her own decisions instead of following Japh like a robot.
Did I mention Japh!? I actually LIKED him in this book. I liked that we saw some different sides of him and that we actually got to know him a bit better. However I must admit I really fell in lo
Susan
Saint City Sinners is another great addition to the Dante Valentine saga, and Saintcrow delivers another action filled, suspenseful tale that keeps the reader anxiously turning the pages. The book picks up with things still tense between Dante and Japhrimel, but Danny has to put dealing with that on hold when she gets a call from Gabe asking for her help. Danny drops everything to return to Saint City only to discover that everything has changed and that her good friend, Eddie, has been murdered ...more
Heather Dalgarno
Saintcrow continues with her consistently exciting tales of Dante Valentine with "Saint City Sinners" - the 4th in the 5 book series.

In this book Dante learns more about her demonic side, but is still frustratingly in the dark about a lot of things. Saintcrow won't give up her secrets easily! Dante is in constant turmoil, unable to trust even the people she loves the most, as she discovers secrets about her human friends Eddie and Gabe that have far reaching consequences.

I must admit that I am s
Patrick
So far, my favorite of the Dante Valentine series.

Perhaps it’s because I rushed through some of the previous books is why I couldn’t appreciate them as much. Saint City Sinners is the Dante Valentine novel I’ve come to appreciate the most. Like many of the other novels, it centers on Dante investigating a new case. This one, however, hits closer to home for her. Her two friends, Eddie and Gabe, have both been brutally murdered by the hands of an unknown assailant. Dante swears revenge on the kil
Sammy Nicholas
This book was good, and unlike the previous books in the series the beginning wasn't that slow. This book had me hooked! I was glad the book went back to Saint City, even though the reason to be back wasn't good. The mood in this was very depressing at times, and it really made me want to cry for her. In the book Dante keeps thinking that all of her friends are dead, but by the end of this one I am pretty convinced otherwise. There really wasn't much of Japhrimel in this book, he was there in t ...more
Ana
Apr 26, 2014 Ana marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
I really couldn't finish. Why, you ask? Well. It's a build up. I was becoming more and more frustrated from book to book and finally decided to stop it. How much am I obligated to let pass just because I like the overall story arch? Or because I'm curious to know the end? A lot apparently...like Japh being an abusive control freak and Dante a whining idiot who let's him get away with it, for example.
Then again, she is annoyingly stubborn, difficult and even dumb. I would put a collar on her, ke
mlady_rebecca
(´*•.¸ღBexღ¸.•*´)
Lillith Saintcrow scores again with this 4th episode in the Dante Valentine series. Dealing with issues of truth, loyalty and honor, Dante spirals down a path that seems to have no resolution. As she moves farther and farther from her ties with the "humans", she must face the issue of what constitutes the truth to a demon, and what value it has in her new life as the mate of the fallen demon, Japhrimel.

Dante returns to Saint City to extract vengeance, something she equates with her honor, and f
  • City of Souls (Signs of the Zodiac #4)
  • The Devil You Know (Morgan Kingsley, #2)
  • Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2)
  •  The Cold Kiss of Death (Spellcrackers.com, # 2)
  • The Watcher  (Anna Strong Chronicles, #3)
  • Demon Bound (Black London, #2)
  • Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)
  • Beneath the Skin (The Maker's Song, #3)
  • Shotgun Sorceress (Jessie Shimmer, #2)
  • Sacrifice (Mortal Path, #2)
Lilith Saintcrow was born in New Mexico, bounced around the world as an Air Force brat, and fell in love with writing when she was ten years old. She lives in Vancouver, Washington, in a house full of stray cats and children.
More about Lilith Saintcrow...

Dante Valentine (5 books)
  • Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3)
  • To Hell and Back (Dante Valentine, #5)
Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1) Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2) Night Shift (Jill Kismet, #1) The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3) To Hell and Back (Dante Valentine, #5)