Start by marking “Saint City Sinners” as Want to Read:
Saint City Sinners

Saint City Sinners (Dante Valentine #4)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,288 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews
Saint City has always been Dante Valentine's home. It's where she grew up, it's where her dead are buried, and it's where she learned to hunt.

Now, one call from an old friend will bring her back to investigate a murder too close to home for anyone's comfort. But the one person she trusted has just betrayed her.

Sometimes revenge is best served demon-hot...
Published November 1st 2007 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Saint City Sinners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saint City Sinners

Gloria Mundi
OK, so what can I say about this that I have not said about the previous instalments? Not much, I'm afraid. And that's not a good thing.

Pacing is still good (though action scenes are becoming more and more confusing), world building good, plot ok (while I do have some beef with the whole Gabe and Eddie dying sideline as it seemed completely unnecessary and irrelevant, the overall story arch developed nicely here) but it falls flat on its face in the execution. Japh is still an abusive control f
Anzu The Great Destroyer
*spoilers ahead
Hell has nothing on Saint City

What is up with the cheesy lines? If it weren’t for Working for the Devil I wouldn’t even bother with a book that had that rubbish on the cover. I feel forced to read this. I know I have one book left till I’m done with this series and I’m extremely happy about it.

Saint City Sinners is all about crying, shrugging, almost bruises, manhandling, unspoken feelings and annoying monologues. Maybe the cover should look more like this:

What else is happeni
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

I greatly enjoyed this series when it started, but the third starting kindling a fire in me against the protagonist. This one simply transformed it into all consuming RAGE.

For, you see, I hate Dante Valentine. She is ridiculously irritating. She's always a jumbled mess - never trusting Japh when he's there but angry if she wakes up and he's gone. She knows about all there is to know about what she is, but keeps running around moaning she doesn’t know enough. She doesn’t trust anyone. S
Pippa DaCosta
This series is killing me. I'll be glad to get it over with and yet I CAN'T STOP READING *gnaws on kindle*
Tara
Inara
Japhrimel and Dante have gone to Cairo Giza after having defeated Lucifer with the help of Lucas Villalobos. During their stay Dante gets an urgent message by her friend Gabe she cant ignore. Gabes husband Eddie has been murdered and Gabe wants Dannys help to revenge his death. Japh isnt happy in the least about it he knows about Dannys promise to the Devil to hunt the escaped demons. But Danny isntt inclined to keep her promise and is determined to protect Eve at all costs even against Japh...
A
Kathy Davie
Mar 18, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Fourth in the Dante Valentine fantasy series, Saint City Sinners continues with the demon hunt to which Japh and Dante have agreed although it takes second place to the disaster which has struck Eddie and Gabe.

Flying back to Santiago City, Dante promises to find Eddie’s killer and protect their daughter if something should happen to Gabe. Between the hunt for Eddie’s killer, avoiding the hell-escaped demons and their hellhounds, and staying under Japh’s radar, Dante finds herself questioning her
Bry
Dec 25, 2013 Bry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is just one gigantic exercise in annoyance and frustration. I had no idea I could get sooooooo annoyed with the main character and continue to read the series.

Dante Valentine is the most close minded, easily manipulated, dense, selfish, annoying character ever! Why does she trust Eve? Why does she distrust Japh? Why does she believe anything Eve says but disbelieves anything Japh says??? Oh Japh is a demon that's right, but lets all just conveniently forget the fact that Eve has been
Athena
May 14, 2016 Athena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not nobody, never
This is torture - sorry Dante Valentine, I'm rooting for someone to kill you and put you (and us) out of our collective misery. I can't take this series anymore and fell like I overpaid at .50 for each of these used books.
Robertb
Sep 03, 2009 Robertb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: demons
I must say I can't seem to be able to read this series anymore unless I don't have anything else to do. However, that could be just me and plotwise it's really quite original and certainly interesting.

To be honest there's 2 things I dislike about most of this series.

1. The relationship between 2 main characters is soo like 14382907 other fantasy romance books that it makes me sick. I'm not going to elaborate further. Read some vampire fantasy / romance stuff that has "handsome, powerful, manly
Schnaucl
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 Karissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth book in the Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow. I think it was back on par with the first book of the series, I really enjoyed it.

Japh and Dante (Danny) are in Egypt when Dante gets a message from Gabe. Gabe needs her help...now. Japh is not happy about giving up the demon hunt to help Gabe but agrees to do so. Dante begs Japh not to hunt down Eve while she is working on Gabe's case. As usual all hell (literally) breaks loose.

This book gave us back our tough, decisive,
Tracy
Sep 03, 2008 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: monsters
Better than the previous book in the series in that there is not as much navel-gazing. There is still too much of it, and it is beginning to be frustrating.

I expect that a character should grow throughout a series but Dante Valentine is becoming neither stronger nor more sensitive.

I really don't think that it would hurt the plot for the two main characters to actually tell one another what's going on occasionally. Is it that much harder to write an exciting novel without so much angst?

I like t
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Dante (Danny) Valentine, hedaira (human woman who has been given demon strength), psion, necromancer and bounty hunter returns to Saint City after her best friend Gabe contacts her and asks for her help.

Of course, she can't go anywhere without Tierce Japhrimel, Fallen, and Eldest attempting to strangle her, putting her to sleep against her will, or dragging her anywhere HE wants to go and then refusing to tell her what exactly he did to Dante when he injected his powers into her.

This series, to
Chessa
Sep 12, 2008 Chessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
The fourth of the Dante Valentine series. Dante is a Necromance turned part-demon, and in this novel she is called home by her best friend to help solve a murder. This book was strange, like an episode (or season) of a TV series where they throw something different at you for a while, but you really just want to get back to the main story. Kind of frustrating. Like this whole series is, really.

I don't know why, but I just want to kick the main character's ass. She is so whiny and victim-like one
Marla
Jul 22, 2012 Marla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this entire series! I read all of the books in less than a week. The one thing that keeps me from rating this 5 stars is the way the main character goes from a fantastic character that can accomplish most anything on her own to a helpless twit that can't even think without the help of others. Then, in the blink of an eye she's back to being able to think and act on her own again and back and forth. I mean everyone needs help and has to have the help of others but she goes from ...more
Annlu
May 24, 2015 Annlu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Getting kicked around and half-strangled by the Devil was getting to be almost routine by now.*

After the events in Sarajevo Dante and Japhrimel are in Cairo Giza when a message from Gabe reaches her. Dante has to go back to Saint City to help friend. But it`s going to be more than help it`s avenge. But that its not all on her agenda: her god Anubis has a mysterious quest for her and Lucifer wants her to hunt Eve and the other escaped demons.
Together with the Deathless Lucas, the Hellesvrontage
Tracy Terry
Nov 21, 2014 Tracy Terry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Told the story, part four in the series, began by repeating the last few pages of the previous novel and thus the plot was easy enough to pick up. I'm afraid I didn't find this to be the case but then that is no surprise when reading book one, Working For The Devil, felt like I'd joined the series midway through.

Taking into account that whilst I have read book one but not books two or three I shall be reviewing this on its own merits, as a novel in its own rights rather than as part of a series.
Illise Montoya
Aug 05, 2014 Illise Montoya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book literally picks up where the last left off. I enjoyed this installment, like all its predecessors. It has good action, a fascinating setting, great tension, and a complex romance. I don't know what I can say about it, though, that I haven't already said of the previous books. Because Saint City Sinners picks up where The Devil's Right Hand leaves off, it has much of the same flavor. All that said, I did feel like there was a small lack of focus in the plot.

Dante is called back to Sain
May 01, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: demon freaks
Shelves: fluff

This book was much more gripping than the third, but I was still annoyed by the relationship between the main character and her demon. They're supposed to have the most intimate relationship imaginable, but they can't trust each other.

Despite that, the plot is gripping and this is the best book since the first one. I really feel I have to go out and buy No. 5.

I really like these books despite their flaws. Good escapist/fantasy exploits.
David Teachout
Thankfully this one was better than the last one, with a lot of the angst removed or at least better understood as to why it exists. The sheer amount of deception going on clearly here combines with Dante's history of betrayal to push her into cutting off the one person she's near pathologically incapable of understanding and, as part of the plot, the only person capable of helping her survive. That Dante starts finally understanding the depth of Japh's secrets is juxtaposed with her finally beg ...more
Rita
Jul 12, 2011 Rita rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bloated with plot but somehow still utterly uninteresting, this was perhaps the most repetitive and thin book of the series so far. I was increasingly less engaged as the action progressed, and by the close of the novel, I felt both frustrated and cheated. Most of the promise of the series was frittered away in this volume.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
NO! Why??? Why the death? I don't like this one as much. This went totally sideways for me. I'm so bummed I have to wait until the last book is written. I didn't want to end reading four books published in one weekend only to end on this terrible note. Gotta wait a few months.
Stacy
Jul 16, 2008 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Dante starts to get a little whiny and you find yourself yelling at her to just trust in Japh for once, for god sake the Demon loves you...doesn't he? Still a great read!
Kathrine Nielsen
Oh wow, I'm so glad I didn't abandon the serie since I wasn't a fan of the last book. This book was awesome! I loved seeing the badass Dante instead of the whiny lovestruck Dante I saw in the last book. This book had action and a heroine that made her own decisions instead of following Japh like a robot.
Did I mention Japh!? I actually LIKED him in this book. I liked that we saw some different sides of him and that we actually got to know him a bit better. However I must admit I really fell in lo
Lynn
Today's post is on Saint's City Sinners by Lilith Saintcrow. It is the fourth in her Dante Valentine series. The cover is the cover of the omnibus of the whole series with Dante on the cover looking cool. The intended reader is someone who likes gritty urban fantasy, female main character, and lots of fight scenes. There is no sex, language, and lots of violence in this book. The story is told from the first person perspective of Dante. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From Goodreads- Saint City has alwa
JediKnight26
Saint City Sinners, Book 4 in the Dante Valentine Series, is primarily a murder/mystery, which is a good thing. In this book, the murder/mystery is at the forefront, while the wheelings & dealings with the Devil and demons are in the background. Dante has a very personal stake in solving the murder, and she travels back to her old haunt of Santiago City (Saint City) to do so. The return to her beginnings is a good direction for the series, as it allows Dante to revisit and confront aspects ...more
Susan
Jun 30, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saint City Sinners is another great addition to the Dante Valentine saga, and Saintcrow delivers another action filled, suspenseful tale that keeps the reader anxiously turning the pages. The book picks up with things still tense between Dante and Japhrimel, but Danny has to put dealing with that on hold when she gets a call from Gabe asking for her help. Danny drops everything to return to Saint City only to discover that everything has changed and that her good friend, Eddie, has been murdered ...more
Heather Dalgarno
Saintcrow continues with her consistently exciting tales of Dante Valentine with "Saint City Sinners" - the 4th in the 5 book series.

In this book Dante learns more about her demonic side, but is still frustratingly in the dark about a lot of things. Saintcrow won't give up her secrets easily! Dante is in constant turmoil, unable to trust even the people she loves the most, as she discovers secrets about her human friends Eddie and Gabe that have far reaching consequences.

I must admit that I am s
Patrick
Dec 25, 2011 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-series, reviewed
So far, my favorite of the Dante Valentine series.

Perhaps it’s because I rushed through some of the previous books is why I couldn’t appreciate them as much. Saint City Sinners is the Dante Valentine novel I’ve come to appreciate the most. Like many of the other novels, it centers on Dante investigating a new case. This one, however, hits closer to home for her. Her two friends, Eddie and Gabe, have both been brutally murdered by the hands of an unknown assailant. Dante swears revenge on the kil
  • The Devil You Know (Morgan Kingsley, #2)
  • The Touch of Twilight (Signs of the Zodiac, #3)
  • Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2)
  • Demon Bound (Black London, #2)
  • Blood Drive (Anna Strong Chronicles, #2)
  • Wait for Dusk (Dark Days, #5)
  • Bitten to Death (Jaz Parks, #4)
  • Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2)
  • Shotgun Sorceress (Jessie Shimmer, #2)
  • Sacrifice (Mortal Path, #2)
  • House of Cards (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe #2)
  • In the Blood (The Maker's Song, #2)
Lilith Saintcrow was born in New Mexico, bounced around the world as an Air Force brat, and fell in love with writing when she was ten years old. She lives in Vancouver, Washington, in a house full of stray cats and children.
More about Lilith Saintcrow...

Dante Valentine (5 books)
  • Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3)
  • To Hell and Back (Dante Valentine, #5)