Ein Himmelsstürmer in Oz. Fantasy-Roman

Ein Himmelsstürmer in Oz. Fantasy-Roman

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  17 reviews
subtitle: A rationalization & extrapolation of the split-level continuum
Published (first published September 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Ein Himmelsstürmer in Oz. Fantasy-Roman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ein Himmelsstürmer in Oz. Fantasy-Roman

Marvin
Yes, there is sex in Oz. There is also death.

Philip Jose Farmer's take on the Oz tales is a decidedly adult interpretation yet it is his attempt to give a natural explanation to the oddities of Ozland that makes A Barnstormer in Oz so interesting. In this tale, that is more science-fiction than fantasy, the son of Dorothy enters Oz through a green fog while flying his bi-plane, What entails is a story of warfare and intrigue between the witches of the north and south and a threatening invasion b...more
Emily
A Barnstormer in Oz seems to me to be an exercise in explaining the wonders of Oz in scientific terms. Or, at least as close to scientific as you can get in a world of magical events that defy explanation. Farmer has done an excellent job of that. His narrative also includes action sequences which serve to enliven the tale and create suspense, so that it’s not just one long treatise. The dual purpose of the text therefore feels a little disjointed, as though explanations must be interrupted for...more
Duncan
Very strange book; it tries to develop a coherent science fiction basis for the magic in "The Wizard of Oz", but along the way becomes tedious and just strange. Oz fans may well be disappointed; Oz completists may find it intriguing though defiantly non-canon.
Richard
Aug 07, 2007 Richard rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Oz Addicts. (The rainbow Oz, not the prison)
Dorothy's adult son helps the Good Witch of the North stave off an invasion of Oz by the American military.

Meh.
Jack
Sadly out of print, a brilliant alternative take on the Oz myth. Highly enjoyable for Oz-heads.
B. Jay
A great follow up to the Wicked series! Taking place about 30 years after the events of the Wizard of Oz, PJ Farmer sends Dorothy's son into Oz to discover the "truths" of this alternate plane of existence. Leave it to Farmer to pick apart the holes in the Oz myth- how did the scarecrow grow sentient? The tin man's origin doesn't hold water! Only Farmer could take these stories for kids, designed with no thought to logic, and apply logical explanations to them.
It was very interesting to note the...more
Andrew Webster
Sarah Sammis
When I was in the third grade I was nearly held back a year. Although I had tested into the advanced track, I wasn't a very motivated student. My third grade teacher gave my parents an ultimatum. I had to learn my multiplication tables and I had to improve my reading. Multiplication was tedious but doable; it was just memorization.

Reading though, that sounded like torture. But being held back a year sounded even worse. So I agreed to read. I can remember sitting on my brother's floor and reading...more
Travis
An interesting, but not entirely successful attempt to create a version of Oz where the 'rules' (talking animals, magic etc) would make sense.
Farmer does some clever things, like mixing the real history of the USA at the time the Oz books were published, and creates some interesting versions of the Oz characters we know, but like Tolkien, he gets a bit bogged down in explaining the language and historical roots of the fantasy characters.
He also tries so hard to set up rules for Oz that he sucks...more
Will
Totally silly, but I read it as a teen and loved it. I had really enjoyed some of the other Oz books. As i got older I wanted to hold on to fantasy but wanted something more gritty. Philip Jose Farmer gave me that in this book. It was evident that Farmer loved the Oz universe. He treated Oz seriously. I am not enough of an Oz fan to know if or how this violates Oz continuity, but if you want a different slant on Oz, Farmer delivers.
Jim
People who are fans of the Oz series will very probably be disappointed. Farmer fans should be satisfied, as I was. Hank Stover, daring barnstorming pilot, disappears in a green cloud over Kansas-and arrives in Oz .There, he gets involved in a war -it seems to be the usual Farmer situation... I enjoyed PJF's playing around with the Oz mythology.
Mark
Takes the strange tack of explaining the wonders of Oz with earth science. It's hard to imagine someone making a book about war in Oz boring, but Farmer has done it here. It's a snooze of a 270 page build up to a fairly exciting 15 page battle between witches. I would avoid this, were I you.
Adam
This was definitely on the high end of my three-star rating. Farmer has lots of fun ideas, though his execution of these ideas isn't on the same level. Still, it's a fun read, and one I'll read again.
Mike
Oz for adults. SERIOUSLY for adults-Farmer's Barnstormer sleeps his way across Oz, more or less! Still a good read though, even if Baum would never have approved it.
Geneva
This was a clever re-imagining of the Oz mythos from the point of view of Dorothy's grown son. Gives it a science fictiony slant, which is always fun.
This story gives one an adult look at OZ and Glinda. Definitely not for young children.
Kelso
Kelso marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Don Biven
Don Biven marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Jon Heinz
Jon Heinz marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
  • Federation
  • Freeware (Ware, #3)
  • Postmarked the Stars (Solar Queen, #4)
  • Who Stole the Wizard of Oz?
  • Courtship Rite
  • The Avatar
  • Dr. Futurity
  • The Real Wizard of Oz: The Life and Times of L. Frank Baum
  • Pellucidar (Pellucidar, #2)
  • The Warlord of the Air (Oswald Bastable, #1)
  • The Bird of the River
  • Special Deliverance
  • Earth Made of Glass (Giraut #2)
  • ඉර හඳ තරු මැද
  • Direct Descent
  • Night of Power
  • The Flesh in the Furnace
  • The Philosopher's Stone
Philip José Farmer was an American author, principally known for his science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories. He was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, but spent much of his life in Peoria, Illinois.

Farmer is best known for his Riverworld series and the earlier World of Tiers series. He is noted for his use of sexual and religious themes in his work, his fascination for and reworking of th...more
More about Philip José Farmer...
To Your Scattered Bodies Go (Riverworld, #1) The Fabulous Riverboat (Riverworld, #2) The Dark Design (Riverworld, #3) The Magic Labyrinth (Riverworld, #4) The Gods of Riverworld (Riverworld, #5)