Start by marking “Darker Place, A” as Want to Read:
Darker Place, A

Darker Place, A (Sean Dillon #16)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,184 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
A famous Russian writer and ex-paratrooper named Alexander Kurbsky has gotten fed up with the Putin government, and decides he wants to "disappear" into the West. He is under no illusions, however, about how the news will be greeted at home, having seen too many of his countrymen die mysteriously at the hands of the thuggish Russian security services, so he makes elaborate ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 6th 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 27th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Darker Place, A, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darker Place, A

Feb 19, 2009 Rob rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the worst Sean Dillon adventure - except for a few physical appearances he never did anything. Shouldn't even be called a Sean Dillon adventure. I think it's time to put this series in hiatus.
Feb 22, 2009 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading Jack Higgins novels since his first and have never been disappointed. He is a master of his genre. I suspect one of my favorite aspects is that he continues characters and ages them appropriately. I can remember Sean Dillon as an IRA member and now he is a distinctly "middle aged" worker with the PM's special unit. Additionally lead functions change and different characters are brought in and developed to the point where you look forward to seeing them again and reading more ...more
Typical Jack Higgins, quick punches of dialog and action. Sometimes reads like stage instructions. In this story Dillion and his gang are minor characters and the story is carried by Roper and a Soviet defector. If you want complicated dialog and long descriptive paragraphs this is not your book.
Mar 12, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alexander Kurbsky, a famous Russian soldier and author, has arranged to defect. His defection places him right inside England's famous group of spies. Is his defection real or will be betray Lord Ferguson, Major Roper and Sean Dillon?
Apr 17, 2009 Kent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again Higgins uses characters Sean Dillon and gang, but introduces us to Alexander Kurbsky, a noted and award winning Russian author. But he is no longer interested in living in Russia and wants a way out. Dillon and gang discover this and come up with a plan to accomplish his "escape." The only problem is that this is all a ruse. Kurbusky is actually working for the Russians and intent on destroying Dillon and gang.

The book moves along at a pretty good rate. There are a few unexpected plot
Apr 29, 2009 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy-thriller
Typical Jack Higgins...decent dialog and action....I wonder where Higgins is going with this storyline?...Dillion and his gang are minor characters and the story is carried by Roper and a Soviet defector...last book introduced MP Henry Miller and I wondered where to, as well
Apr 23, 2009 Kameron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love Jack Higgins' books. Very much pop lit, but I still enjoy them! I like the characters, and the mysteries and espionage always keep me going. This is the latest in the series of Higgins' Sean Dillon line, so if you start here you'll likely be a bit lost with the backstory.
Apr 28, 2009 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying Jack Higgins two latest books about Charles Ferguson's group know as the "Prime Ministers Army". In this book we learn a little about "Roper" and how he came to be where he is today. The story is about a Russian who asks to be given assylum by the British government. But everything is not as it seems. But then nothing ever is.
Secrets and manipulation are at the core of this mystery,thriller. World-famous Russian novelist Alexander Kurbsky was also a skilled military specialist during the Soviet takeover of Afghanistan. When he receives a literary award in the west, he is coerced into helping a KGB like agency in Russia to gather information about an elite British paramilitary group.

Whether Mr Kursby will be the hero or villian takes up much of the rest of the story.
Oct 26, 2009 DWGibb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well crafted international thriller. Somehow Higgins manages to make Putin the focus of villainy, more treacherous than extremist terrorists. But in the world of intelligence, they're all a little shifty.

The reader, Michael Page, is a master of dialects and this one has them all; Russian, British, French, American. He manages to keep them all straight and highly credible.
Apr 01, 2010 Gavin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good solid read from Jack Higgins featuring the team know as the 'Prime Minister's private army'. However the book focuses not on the leading members of the team, Sean Dillon and Charles Ferguson but on the more peripheral cohorts and their back history.
J. Ewbank
This was a very good story about American and Russian spies etc... Most of the activity was in the London England area. Fascinating characters that you would love to see in future novels.

J. Robert Ewbank, author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Oct 25, 2010 Rich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fine. Typical Higgins. I enjoyed it and liked having a new character besides the same old Sean Dillon story. Read this one after the one that comes after. Audio book. Listened to it while running.
Feb 18, 2011 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read many of these and they don't get any less violent. I like them anyway, but if you've never read them, you might try reading some of the early Sean Dillon ones - the ones with the Eagle in the title.
Lauren Good
Apr 21, 2011 Lauren Good rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
I remember reading a Jack Higgins novel when I was younger and really liking it, but what I've read since then has only been lukewarm -- not nearly suspenseful enough. Generally good kernel of a plot but not the best execution I think. Meh.
Jul 24, 2011 Vionna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good spy novel reminiscent of the cold war era. The Russian characters were very well developed and played the more dominant roles. The novel moved along at a slower pace, but built well towards the climax.

Doug Branscombe
I realized after starting this that I'd read it when it first came out, but decided to go through it again. It's a compelling story about Alexander Kurbsky, a best selling author and decorated war veteran from Russian who defects to England and all that surrounds that from the Russian and English perspectives. I recommend this.
Aug 03, 2011 Bruce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Jack Higgins and I really like the Sean Dillon series. But I only gave this one three stars. To me, it felt like it was the same plot and characters as the last book, but only the names were changed. This one just didn't "do it" for me. Sorry.
Great book. It had been a while since I had read a Jack Higgins book and this was a good one to get back into the Sean Dillon saga. The good thing about this Sean Dillon book is that Dillon is not the main character. The Sean Dillon character is more of a supporting role in this one, which makes it a little less predictable. Good read.
Jan 28, 2012 Jeanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: higgins_jack
It's been awhile since I picked up a Jack Higgins novel. This was a cliff-hanger to the very end. I was so sure of myself in the early chapters... sure I knew who would be killed and why. Wrong, wrong, wrong! It was a quick read for me. I listened to the audio CD version and found myself turning it on even if I was only driving a few blocks!
Oct 27, 2012 Shirin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was ok, a page turner but hardly any substance. The so called 'Legend's i.e. Dillon and company are actually the side dish and did not really do much for the story. I bought a whole bunch of Jack Higgins after reading the Confessional, but this one did not lived up to my expectation.
D Wedd
Apr 06, 2013 D Wedd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A spy novel with the usual double crosses, but the story doesn't follow the expected lines,you think you know where the story is going but it doesn't,with most situation solved very quickly with the flick of a knife.
Aug 23, 2013 Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Action adventure junkies
Patricia Heffernan
I know, I know, each book is much like the last one, but I never tire of his characters, regardless of the number of times I read his books.

Even as I know what will happen next, in some magical way I become engrossed and pleased with the final scene.

Jim Stennett
Oct 30, 2014 Jim Stennett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third or fourth Higgins book I've read. Thought Storm Warning was very good and this was surprisingly entertaining despite the fact that I've only read one other in this series. I think it was the one that follows this one and I didn't like it very much. This entry moves right along and the main character is a complex yet likable figure. If you're a Higgins fans or a fan of spy novels pick this one up.
Henri Moreaux
Slightly better than the last instalment of the Sean Dillon saga but still nothing like Higgins earlier works.

Overall, an average choice for something to fill in your time if you've got no better options.
#16 in the Sean Dillon series. Once again Brigadier Ferguson's force is augmented when a very capable member of the opposition finds that his leader is deceiving him.

Sean Dillon and the Prime Ministers secret force are joined by Alexander Kurbsky, a Russian author and former commando officer with experience in Afghanistan and Chechnya. The problem is that he has been assigned to the political asylum role by Putin to rescue his Gulag imprisoned sister. When Roper discovers his sister died in 2000
Mar 24, 2015 Mom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Listened on audio book and had a hard time following the myriad characters through plot to stage a Russian defection, I forget why, where crack British black ops guys and one gorgeous accoutrement work the background.
Oct 21, 2015 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, mmm-2015
Probably doesn't matter at least that this is #16 in the series as Sean Dillon is a minor character and I don't think you really need to know much about the group except what is given. However, just like most authors that have 16 or more books in a series, there isn't much really here that isn't obvious early on in the story which is kind of sad for a spy thriller series. They're banking on people invested in the old characters enjoying some glimpses of their favorite folks and so they get kind ...more
Mark Fallon
Sep 09, 2016 Mark Fallon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brain-candy
A tale from the "Dillon" series, where Dillon plays but a miniscule role. Really enjoyed reading more about Roper's past. Plus, a great reminder that the Russians aren't allies.
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Columbus (Silver Bear, #2)
  • The Doublecross Program (Star Risk, #3)
  • The Disciple (Tommy Carmellini #4)
  • Shadows of War (Red Dragon Rising, #1)
  • Lost in Shadows (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • King City
  • The Vigilantes (Badge of Honor, #10)
  • Twisted Justice
  • Underground Guardians Box Set (Underground Guardians, #1-2)
  • Betrayed
  • Mariposa
  • Galactic Bounty (Sam McCade, #1)
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
  • The Collectors (The Collectors, #1)
  • First, Do No Harm (Brier Hospital, #1)
  • Cry of the Needle
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

Sean Dillon (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1)
  • Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • Angel of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)
  • Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
  • The President's Daughter (Sean Dillon #6)
  • The White House Connection (Sean Dillon, #7)
  • Day of Reckoning (Sean Dillon, #8)
  • Edge of Danger (Sean Dillon, #9)
  • Midnight Runner (Sean Dillon, #10)