Start by marking “Gone (Quincy & Rainie, #5)” as Want to Read:
Gone (Quincy & Rainie, #5)

Gone (Quincy & Rainie #5)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  32,598 Ratings  ·  716 Reviews
From New York Times bestseller Lisa Gardner, author of Alone and The Killing Hour, comes a thriller that goes from heartbreaking to heartstopping in the blink of an eye....
For ex-FBI profiler Pierce Quincy, it's the beginning of his worst nightmare: a car abandoned on a desolate stretch
Published January 31st 2006 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Gone, please sign up.

Judy Morris I loved all of her books. They are well written I have read all her books including her new book Find her

D.B. Woodling
Jun 27, 2016 D.B. Woodling rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: suspense fans
Haunted by the actions of rapists and murderers, particularly those who have escaped conviction, Rainie Conner, an ex-police officer turned private investigator, finds justice in the bottle she has avoided for fifteen years.

When her husband, fellow private investigator Pierce Quincy, has had enough, he abandons her, hoping she will realize only one road lies ahead and it leads to AA.

Rainie is kidnapped, while taking yet another sequential wrong turn, and discovers everything she has taken for g
Brenda
Dec 16, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Waking from another heart-stopping nightmare, shaking and lonely, Rainie Connor knew she wouldn’t, couldn’t sleep again that night, so dressing hurriedly, she headed out into the pouring rain to go for a drive. Driving around aimlessly seemed to settle her – she had always done it, and supposed she always would. But the devastation and loneliness wouldn’t leave her – it had only been seven days, but it felt like forever…

Across town, Pierce Quincy, ex-FBI profiler was pacing the night hours away
Mish
Gone is an electrifying, quick pace novel, spanning over a non-stop 48-hour period.

Pierce Quincy, an ex-FBI profiler, takes a call from the local Bakersville sheriff office, claiming to have found his wife’s car; abandoned and off to the side of a dirt road with the drivers door wide open, gun missing and his wife, Lorraine (Rainie) Conner, gone.

Quincy knew Rainie was distraught prior to her disappearance; she had a drinking problem, there were family issue and her recent separation from Quincy
Tonya Smith
This is the 5th book of this series.i really enjoyed it. I will be reading the rest of them in this series.
Elaine
Wow!!! All I can say is how have I missed this brilliant crime/thriller novelist for so long?
Lisa Gardner has written a ripper of a roller coaster thriller. It had me twisting and turning and staying up well into the night to finish it. It was not in the least predictable and right to the end I had no idea what the outcome would be, which for me is my idea of the perfect crime/thriller novel.The fact that this was the 5th in a series no way at all detracted from the story line or made me feel th
Marleen
Jun 04, 2009 Marleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lisa-gardner
I got to the middle of the book and I was in no mood to continue. I don't know what it is about this book but it's like a deja vu. The kidnap, the evil thoughts... Nothing original. Focusing on that dark world of evil people & those feelings of being powerless, clueless; maybe those were too much for me. It's supposed to be fast-paced and yet I thought the story evolved so slowly. I didn't feel like continuing. Anyway after a few days I picked it up again and persevered. I really don't think ...more
Sharon
Feb 26, 2017 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read
Review to follow.
Lisa
May 21, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this fast paced mystery.
I do have a bad habit of reading series books out of sequence but that's usually when I borrow them from the library and there isn't a whole lot of choice - there are only three Lisa Gardner audio books there from different series and that is it!
So, with that in mind I do feel like I missed out on a bit of background on Quincy & Rainie - it does work as a standalone story but I almost felt like I'd cheated and read a few spoilers by skipping the first
Reen
Aug 23, 2013 Reen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great suspense story and it was a good choice for an audiobook. I knew the bad guy as soon as he appeared but my opinion wavered at one point. Gardner does a great job at keeping you tuned into the story. I will go back and read some of the others in the series now as well!
Feb 2017:
re-read the epub version this time. I had forgotten some of the storyline and was pulled right back in!
Teresa
Mar 15, 2017 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorites of the series. The case itself kept me on my toes and had me gripping my e-reader for the last 20% or so. I also really loved the struggles and demons Quincy and Rainie are still fighting. It's one of the things I love about series that follow the same characters - being able to see the ups and downs of their personal journeys as well.
Halime   Yazıcı
Mar 20, 2016 Halime Yazıcı rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is second book of Lisa Gardner I have read.... And love it........ why? Let me explain......

Firstly.. there are so big gaps begining of the story and there is no way you can guess who is who, and which charater is good despite clues or proofs..... with every page you find yourself in a situation which makes story more attractive than you can imagine....

Quincy receives phone call about his wife's disapparance abrubtly in somewhere and hisrelationsip with his wife make you guestion his charat
Emily
Jun 07, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gone by Lisa Gardner is apparently the 5th book about Rainie and Quincy. Hmpth. I hate that I read this one first, but can tell you that it doesn't really matter too much! ;) I wish in the book jackets they would tell you this stuff. This isn't the first series or author I've been mad when this happens to me. I mean, goodreads just told me, but I wasn't on goodreads when I was standing in the library looking at books!! Hmpth.

We start the book with Rainie dealing with some terrible nightmares and
LJ
GONE (Procedural/Suspense-Oregon-Cont) – VG
Gardner, Lisa- 8th book
Bantam, 2006- Hardcover
Former policewoman Rainie Conner is haunted by memories of abuse, both to her, the many cases she has handled and the suspected abuse of a boy she knows.. The murder of a child is one too many and pushes her into alcohol abuse and away from her husband. Rainie’s husband, former FBI profiler Pierce Quincy, loves his wife, but hope to jolt her into sobriety by moving out. But when Raine’s car is found empty by
Chloe
Apr 22, 2014 Chloe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, unbeknown to me, I've picked up the fifth book in the series! While it does refer to things that have happened before (probably in other books), it really didn't matter much. In fact, I want to read the next one in the series before going back to read the ones before!

OK, back to the story. Raine and husband Quincy are semi-retired FBI. Trouble, it seems, appears to follow them wherever they go. One rainy night, Raine goes missing ... and the ransom notes start arriving. The kidnapper wants f
Jess Nolan
i did the audiobook, 85 percent of the characters in the book are male, and the voice was a female. It was painful to listen to her try to sound like 9 different men.
Hollis
Okay, so I was a little perplexed (upset, frustrated) after reading the line "And [Quincy's] estranged wife, Rainie Conner, gone.." in the synopsis before starting this one. I mean, we finished THE KILLING HOUR with a proposal, and now it's already over? Arg.

But then the story, the events from behind the scenes, everything that's happened in the last two years, unfolding throughout the mystery of Rainie's disappearance, comes to light and.. I was still a little annoyed but I could also understan
Penny
Sep 30, 2009 Penny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hyderali
Jan 04, 2014 Hyderali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lisa-gardner
One hell of a roller-coaster ride!!! It is not a book you are reading..its like you are watching a movie. I avoided my favorite TV shows & movies just to finish reading this book. The first book I read of Lisa Gardner "The Other Daughter" which instantly made me her Fan. After going through several other books which are also fascinating I came to this book atlast. I must say, you won't keep it unless you don't finish it. From start till end you'll be enjoying every sentence, text, dialogues, ...more
Ciiku
Apr 09, 2012 Ciiku rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book, but sometimes found it inconsistent. One one hand, Rainie is described as weak and in pain, and on the next scene she is fighting the kidnapper. Second, if Quincy was such a good profiler, how come they all missed Danicic? I wish the author gave the perspective of the kidnapper, just like we had for Shelly, Kimberly, Quincy and Lorraine. I enjoy reading books which have the perspective of the criminal, so I can see where they were coming from. Dougie Jones was such a ...more
Tatiana Torres
this one took most of the book to even get into. but in the end i liked it. proof that Gardners writing has improved since these early books
Megan Dorgan
Wow, this was one of the most boring books I have read in a long time. I don't know why I even kept reading, maybe hoping it would get better. It finally picked up mid way but still fell short. I also didn't know that this was in a series. Maybe I would have liked it more if I had read the rest first, but I don't want to risk it.

She was very repetetive with some phrases that I found very annoying.
Kate Evans
The plot certainly gripped me and the pace was breath-taking. I thought the characterisation was also engaging. There was a bit too much violence for my taste. And I did find the resolution less than convincing.
Dec 27, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lisa-gardner
Lisa Gardner's series Quincy & Rainie book #5. Great mystery/suspense as always... Rainie Conner is missing, and Quincy (with daughter Kimberly and boyfriend Mac) jump in to find her. Kept me guessing until the end!
Amira Smith
Jan 21, 2015 Amira Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!! What an exciting and fast paced thriller. This is my first book in the Quincy and Rainie series. I usually like to start with the first book but whatever. This book keep me on the edge of my seat....talk about suspense. I can't wait to read more books from Lisa Gardner.
Valérie Bissonnette
An avid reader recommended Lisa Gardner to me. I am not disapointed! I loved this book. Can't wait to read more of Lisa Gardner.
David
My first Quincy & Rainie book. I probably marginally prefer Lisa Gardner's D.D. Warren series at this stage, but yet another great thriller with a surprise ending from Lisa Gardner.
Sep 11, 2016 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detectives and agents and kidnapping and EVER SO MOISTY. Say it with me: MOISTY.
Gilbert
Jan 18, 2017 Gilbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When someone you love vanishes without a trace, how far would you go to get them back? For ex-FBI profiler, Pierce Quincy it’s the beginning of his worst nightmare; a car is found abandoned on an Oregon highway, engine running, and a purse on the driver’s seat. And his wife, Rainie Connor, gone, leaving no clue to her fate…now you’re on page 5 of the book and are on the roller coaster as it travels up…and up…and up…before the first big drop. Be sure your seatbelt is firmly buckled because this r ...more
Diane
Jan 10, 2017 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad read, my only problem with this series is too much back story in every book - I guess Ms. Gardner has done this so the books could in fact be stand alones although they aren't.

Rainie has fallen off the wagon in so many ways, and now it could very well be her demise! The last half of the book was very fast-paced and suspenseful - the best part of the book (to me) actually.

Rainie (who isn't my favourite) is kidnapped and held for ransom, then a young foster boy who Rainie has been workin
Jane
Mar 05, 2017 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read any Lisa Gardner books for a number of years and I had forgotten how pacy and well plotted they are.
This is one in the series about Pierce Quincy and his wife Rainie Connor. Quincy is a former FBI profiler and his wife a former detective who both consult on difficult cases. Following a particularly harrowing case Rainie is fighting not to be overwhelmed by the case and returns to drinking heavily and as a result the two of them have become estranged. Then Rainie is kidnapped and
Great Suspense Books 4 16 Dec 13, 2015 02:59PM
Aussie Lovers of...: April-June - Gone - First Impressions *No Spoilers* 7 16 Jun 22, 2014 08:35PM
Aussie Lovers of...: April-June - Gone - Final Thoughts *Spoilers* 3 17 May 31, 2014 02:54PM
  • Prior Bad Acts (Kovac and Liska, #3)
  • Absolute Fear (New Orleans, #4)
  • On the Run
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
  • See No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #9)
  • See Jane Die (Stacy Killian, #1; The Malones, #2)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • Maggie's Man (Family Secrets, #1)
  • 14 (Taylor Jackson, #2)
(1) mystery & thrillers, suspense

aka Alicia Scott

New York Times bestselling crime novelist Lisa Gardner began her career in food service, but after catching her hair on fire numerous times, she took the hint and focused on writing instead. A self-described research junkie, she has parlayed her interest in po
More about Lisa Gardner...

Quincy & Rainie (7 books)
  • The Perfect Husband (Quincy & Rainie, #1)
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • The Next Accident (Quincy & Rainie, #3)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • Say Goodbye (Quincy & Rainie, #6)
  • Right Behind You (Quincy & Rainie, #7)

“Winners never quit, quitters never win” 1 likes