Start by marking “Thriller 2: Stories You Just Can't Put Down: Through a Veil Darkly\Ghost Writer\A Calculated Risk\Remaking\The Weapon” as Want to Read:

Thriller 2: Stories You Just Can't Put Down: Through a Veil Darkly\Ghost Writer\A Calculated Risk\Remaking\The Weapon (Thriller #2)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  518 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
When some of the top thriller writers in the world came together in Thriller: Stories to Keep You Up All Night, they became a part of one of the most successful short-story anthologies ever published. The highly anticipated Thriller 2: Stories You Just Can't Put Down is even bigger. From Jeffery Deaver's tale of international terrorism to Lisa Jackson's dysfunctional famil ...more
Published April 27th 2010 by Mira (first published January 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Thriller 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thriller 2

Mark Soone
Based upon my ratings my actual tally is 3.179 stars....being a lover of short stories and getting much enjoyment from this series I would call it 3.5 were that an option. I love collections like this because you get a chance to aquaint yourself with some established thriller writers whom you might not have heard of or read otherwise. It also gives you a chance to see how many of these gifted authors are able to bridge the gap from full length features, and try thier hands at the often neglected ...more
Rebecca
After reading the first and third in this series I was excited to read this one. I was also very glad to see that each story was going to be a new original story and not using characters from well-known books written by the authors.
I quite enjoyed Clive Cussler’s commentary it was interesting and didn’t drag out. It told me a little bit of background that I found quite interesting.
The stories were a mixture of great and not so great. I did enjoy the large majority of the stories and some of them
Alison C
Mar 09, 2015 Alison C rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thriller 2, edited by Clive Cussler, is an original anthology of short stories by the likes of Jeffery Deaver, David Hewson, Lisa Jackson, Ridley Pearson, R. L. Stine and Simon Wood (to name just a few), all in the wide-ranging genre of "thrillers." In this case, that can mean everything from covert military operations to police procedurals to action adventure to murder mystery. As with all such volumes, I liked some stories more than others, but generally speaking they were all pretty well writ ...more
Christine Kayser
A few of the stories in this book were excellent. Most were mediocre. Some were just plain bad. It's apparently really difficult to write a short story that doesn't feel like you just rushed to an ending. I found a couple of new authors whose work I'll probably check out, which was my goal in reading a short story anthology. But man, this was difficult to get through at times.
Gary
Nov 20, 2009 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short storys from some authors I have never encountered before. The one by R. L. Stine creeped me out, I will never, ever trust a monkey angin for the rest of my life...
James Haynie
Aug 25, 2009 James Haynie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thie book is nothing more than an advertisement for other books by other authors with short xcerpts from them. A total waste of my time!
Monique
Okay so finished this book of short stories kinda fast because, lets be honest not all short stories are good and they end up coming off rushed and jam in too much information and you never really understand..those are the ones I skipped through (surprisingly there werent that many complete skips though at the end of some I wish I had skipped.) Anyways there were alot of profile thriller writers on this edition so I picked it up from the library with so-so hopes and it exceeded them...slightly.. ...more
Deyth Banger
Jun 19, 2016 Deyth Banger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Without one star mainly because some stories were awful, was it a joke or who knows... there was one story which sounded like gayish. Who wants to be gay, let's go watch fagot stuff, and he even don't need to share it....

The advantage!
What I liked were some stories, not a lot of but there were some interesting stories, some complex stories and so on and so on. The complex one, could be made simple some times you can say it with understandable words.

If you are in a place where you don't know what
Gina
Aug 13, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think I would enjoy this so much but i did. Among my favourites include (1) The House On Pine Terrace, (2) Ghost Writer, (3) Watch Out For My Girl, (4) Boldt's Broken Angel, (5) Can You Help Me Out Here, (6) Suspension Of Disbelief, (7) Protecting The Innocent. This book is a must-read for thriller lovers!
William
Aug 03, 2012 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully thrilling collection of short fiction from some of today's best mystery writers, Thriller 2 is every bit as good as its predecessor. The best stories are the ones written by Ridley Pearson, Sean Chercover, Harry Hunsicker, Phillip Margolin, Joe Hartlaub & Joan Johnston. the biggest disappointment was easily the story "Bedtime for Mr. Li" by David J. Montgomery. I won't ruin it completely, but the whole story follows an assassin who is about to kill an incompetent Chinese spy, a ...more
VegasGal
Mar 12, 2009 VegasGal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
I think I've learned something about myself reading this collection of short stories that has really nothing to do with the book itself, but it may affect other readers so I figured I'd include it in this review.

I don't really like short stories, somehow a lot of them don't seem finished. Some of the characters are thrown together too quickly and I feel rushed.

but with that said, looking at this book in general it did indeed have good thrilling stories captured within its pages. It was organized
Cameron
Aug 30, 2011 Cameron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of these stories were great.... some were not.... most were in between. I am generally not a great fan of short sotries anyway. I find that they are too compressed and don't develop the plot enough. However, a few (very few) really held my interest and I thought they were in fact very good. The majority, however, were good or okay if you had absolutely nothing else to read. Then there were the really bad ones, some of which had no point, most of which made me almost give up (something I ver ...more
Lauren
May 03, 2013 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this 2 1/2 stars...between "it was ok" and "liked it". First the positives...it had been a long time since I read a book of short stories, and I liked being able to put this down / pick it up whenever. Some (very few actually) of the stories were VERY good...clever/thrilling/scary, and they saved this book for me. I'd say MOST of the stories were "meh" and a few were poor...just stupid/not well written, in my opinion. The last story was awesome...they really saved the best fo ...more
Petr Bolek
Tak se mi povedlo dočíst tuhle sbírku. Když jsem restartoval své čtecí období, tak jsem začínal Thrillerem 1 a dle něj jsem si našel spoustu nových autorů. A stále u nich zůstávám. Nečekal jsem, že to u dvojky bude stejné, ale zase, že to bude tak slabé, to tedy taky ne.
Pravda je, že poslední povídka od Ridley Pearsna, je hodně dobrá, ale zbytek za to nestojí. A navíc mám asi raděj delší formáty než povídky.
No nic tak se jde číst něco jiného. Třeba zrovan Cussler, který tohle sestavoval za pro
Elysse AKA EILIS Heller
Of course, some stories were better than others, but if this is your genre, it is quite a good read.
John Durden
Jul 08, 2014 John Durden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too many awesome shorts in this book, though there is one in particular that I must mention, because it helped with the development of my own novel, Melatonin. His name is Gary Braver and the story, Ghost Writer, is absolutely thrilling, as it should be.
Robin
Jan 22, 2016 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a note that I really liked this.
Ed
Nov 25, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crime short stories: different authors
Ron Gilmette
Apr 25, 2015 Ron Gilmette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great selection of stories. It made me miss all the anthology shows from way back when.
Diane Heath
Feb 19, 2015 Diane Heath rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
This is another collection of short stories from Thrill Writers....Thus far there have been four collections. 1. Thriller 2. Thriller 2. 3. Love is Murder and 4. Face Off...They have all been good but my favorite was the Face off collection
Shawn
Oct 16, 2015 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good stories
Steven
Sep 15, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies
Thriller 2 was a lot of fun. I did find a few stories that were interesting, but from my perspective/opinion they didn't feel like a thriller type story. They were good stories from the beginning of the book till the end and held my attention. Infact is was a very quick read and I recommend these Thriller books big time. Although, I recommend the editors of these titles take a little more time proof reading as there were lots of boo boos here and there.
Jeannie
Dec 29, 2010 Jeannie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am about 2/3 of the way thru. Overall - I have decided I am just not a short story person. The title and list of authors led me to expect more than I feel the book has delivered so far. I guess there is still time to change my mind...

Finally made it through. Nope, didn't change my mind. I think some of the stories are well written, and I plan to read more work by some of the authors, but as I noted above I did not like the short stories.
Mark
Feb 13, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love short stories. I've often felt the mark of great writing is felt to greatest effect when an author catches the reader's attention and transports them in the brief passage of a few pages. Thrillers, in particular, sets ones pulse to racing, tempting readers to skip ahead to that final paragraph. I haven't read the first Thriller anthology, but if this collection is anything to judge by I'll be seeking it out soon enough.
Kersten
I read this to see if I could find any new authors to read. It being a collection of short stories, some of them felt a bit rushed. A couple of the stories that I did enjoy were Mariah Stewart's "Justice Served," Lisa Jackson's "Vintage Death," Gary Braver's "Ghostwriter," Joan Johnston's "Watch Out for My Girl," Jon Land's "Killing Time," and Ridley Pearson's "Boldt's Broken Angel."
Barbara Andrews
Sep 03, 2012 Barbara Andrews rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love short stories and I love real thrillers and scary stories but I read a very broad mix of genres. I was excited when I saw this and thought it would be good but I was VERY disappointed. The stories didn't paint good sight pictures, didn't draw me in as a reader. It was a dull read to me the characters lacked depth. I won't be reading the others.
Heather
The title of this book did not apply to me. I did not have trouble putting it down. It took me forever to read this. As I looked back through the stories when I was done reading the book, I remember enjoying them, but nothing real memorable sticks out in my mind about them. Great for passing the time, but not a book that you will want to devour.
Barbara ★
All in all not bad if you like short short stories - most are 20 pages or less. Some I liked but most I didn't. I particularly liked the last story by Ridley Pearson, Boldt's Broken Angel. A 50 page serial killer story featuring detective Lou Boldt. It could have been spectacular as a full length novel but was OK as is.
T.M. Carper
I don't usually like short stories, but these were all well-written and great standalones. I really had a hard time putting this collection down. It also introduced me to a bunch of writers I'd never read, but now I have a feel for their writing styles. Thriller lovers will enjoy this, even if it's just for stories by their favorites.
Monty
Aug 22, 2009 Monty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories in this book were terrific, and one deserved a five rating. Others (the minority) fell flat and deserve a one or two rating. So the three rating here is merely an average. If you decide to read this book, I recommend starting from the back because it's some of the earlier ones that aren't so good.
I CAN and DID Put it Down... 1 3 Sep 02, 2010 01:55PM
  • Thriller: Stories To Keep You Up All Night
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2005
  • On the Edge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1.5)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2010
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2011 Edition
  • Watchlist: A Serial Thriller
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2001
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
  • Book of the Dead 2: Still Dead
  • Between the Dark and the Daylight and 27 More of the Best Crime Mystery Stories of the Year
  • Dark Love
  • Agents of Treachery: Never Before Published Spy Fiction from Today's Most Exciting Writers
  • Clive Cussler
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • Under His Skin
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2014
  • Women on the Case
  • Omul de la capătul firului
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...