Start by marking “Will They Ever Trust Us Again?: Letters from the War Zone” as Want to Read:
Will They Ever Trust Us Again?: Letters from the War Zone

Will They Ever Trust Us Again?: Letters from the War Zone

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  588 ratings  ·  52 reviews
American soldiers serve willingly. They risk their lives so the rest of us can be safe. The one small thing they ask, though, is that they not be sent into harm's way unless it is absolutely necessary. But after being lied to about weapons of mass destruction and about the connection between al Qaeda and Iraq; after being forced by stop-loss orders to extend their deployme ...more
Published October 5th 2004 by Simon & Schuster (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Will They Ever Trust Us Again?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Will They Ever Trust Us Again?

Rachel
Nov 06, 2008 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Rachel by: found it at Dollar Tree in a remaindered book bin
So far, it is one of the saddest and angriest book I have ever read. It is also very important to read this book since it is the voices of our soldiers in Iraq fighting for their lives.

UPDATE: I finished it this morning and it is also one of the saddest books I have ever read. I still agree that this is one of the most important books to read considering that these soldiers put their lives in danger for misguided purposes of this war that has no end in sight. This war affects more women and men
David Sarkies
Sep 02, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Researching the Iraq War
Recommended to David by: Saw it in a book shelf
Shelves: politics
A collection of emails from the front line
1 April 2012

Sometimes it is difficult to understand Michael Moore's motivations. I used to think that he was a wonderful champion of the left, however as you begin to dig deeper you quickly discover that he is not necessarily a champion of the left, but rather a champion of himself. He has his own motives and own agenda, and in a way, seems to be using the poor and disadvantaged of America to fuel his own publicity. His movies and his books are good, ch
Tom Darrow
This book was published almost 10 years ago, so I'm sure some of its power has been lost over that time. I like the concept behind the book. Moore got a lot of crap about being too liberal or insensitive, but in this book he allows soldiers and their families to do the talking for him. Many of the points they make are valid, especially through the lens of time. For example, they talk about the lack of evidence for going to war and how the cost is going to bankrupt the US.

I have some serious prob
Mahy O
I really liked the book. I think It was interesting to see the other side of the story. The story of American soldiers and their families who didn't want to participate in the war, and who actually feel guilty about killing innocent people.
It amazed me to understand that most of the American army are young boys and girls who volunteer only to get a college education, and have no relation what so ever with wars, or what's happening in Iraq and Afghanistan. They don't want ot be part of any thing
Daniel Currie
I listened to the unabridged 5CD version of the audiobook.

This is a book of it's time, which is definitely not when I listened to it.

Obviously meant to sway the 2004 election, it consists of letters sent to Michael Moore from various people associated with the military saying Bush/the war is wrong and he is right. It is self-serving to say the least. But many of the letters are poignant and ring true, even well after the fact. The only problem is there are way too many of them. The same point i
K. Carters
I'm not a fan of Moore's work -it seems so biased and misrepresenting that he loses all credibility in condemning Fox or the Republicans for the same thing! However, this one wasn't too bad as it had a human touch to things. A collection of letters from serving soldiers, vets and families that have lost out to the war.

It's weird reading this book so long after Bush and Iraq. It makes frequent mention of defeating Bush and stopping a second term plus makes predictions about Iraq that proved to be
Sharon
My husband bought this book when it first came out and, despite my admiration for Michael Moore's work, I had not read it up until now.

This is not Moore's work, per se, but a compendium of the e-mails he received after "Fahrenheit 9/11." Service members and their loved ones write eloquently of what we now all know to be the truth: the dishonesty of the Bush administration that resulted in an unwarranted invasion of a sovereign nation.

Having seen my husband's 20-year-old nephew discharged from t
Ad
this book of letters is the true news cnn tv should get more personalized stories like this book so we as society could make more accurate assessment of what the government or military do with our tax dollars. Some truly heartbreaking stuff within these letters how war effects the lives of the soldier, his family and our nation as well as another country of inocent civilians. It is important to know the interests of your government and to elect the correct party this is a good example of terribl ...more
Joe
A bit tough to handle. I do consider myself a liberal, though not necessarily loyal to any political party. I am not a Michael Moore fanatic, though I do think he is one of the few people out there who has the guts to state his convictions, right or wrong. He has helped to open up communication about a great number of topics, from corporate greed, to gun control, to the "War on Terror" and 9/11 to health care. I think that makes him a worthwhile and honorable voice in America, whatever his fault ...more
Joe
Oct 26, 2008 Joe rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joe by: Everyone
Shelves: audio-books
Excellent book! This should be a must read for all Americans. It was not Michael Moore's spin on the world. It was letters from current soldiers, veterans and soldiers lamily members back home. At time is was very hard to listen to due to the high emotion. Our country needs a change.
All of us Americans say we support our troops.....how do we do that? Buying the cute little ribbons doesn't help anyone but the seller and the chinese company that made them. Michael Moore gave a long list of informa
Jesse
While I totally feel that people like Michael Moore are necessary to keep those in power from man handling the public opinion without an opposing view being available, I tend to be alienated by extremists on any side, and Moore definitely falls into that category.
Yasmin Dinar
Again, cannot believe I read this in 7th grade! Amazing, again. Nothing short of Michael Moore's brilliance. It's a bunch of letters from soldiers and yeah, maybe I used to cry to them and returned the book to the library entirely ruined, maybe.
James
Very much a flashback to 10 years ago. Very sad that in some ways it still feels like current events. This book had been sitting in a box for 10 years. Finally read it and realize that Moore was way ahead of the curve.
Labijose
Provocativa. A veces un poco partidista, pero contiene muchas verdades sobre algunas corruptelas de la "mejor" democracia del mundo. Conviene leerla, aunque puedas discrepar de algunas de sus opiniones.
Crisanto J. Jorda
Michael Moore usually sensationalizes every issue he touches, and I'm usually skeptical of his many discourses, but as a standalone piece piece of literature, it's difficult to impose the same cynicism upon our this book as I would for him. Rightly so, this is a cold, hard, and honest anthology of letters detailing how pissed off many of our troops are with the current wars overseas. And having so many friends in the military, I can accurately validate their disgust with America's foreign policy ...more
Tom Olmsted
This is a compilation of letters from Iraq/Afganistan veterans, veterans from other wars, and relatives of verterans serving. These letters came to Mr. Moore after his documentary Fahrenheit 9/11 came out. You can sense the pain in the soldiers words as they found out the reasons to go to war with Iraq were based on lies from the Bush administration. What was real gut wrenching is the letter from Robin Vaughan, a mother of a soilder serving in Iraq. Multiply this letter by 10s of thousands of mo ...more
David Melbie
Dec 09, 2010 David Melbie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ass-kicking Republicans and stunned Democrats.
Recommended to David by: I'm a supporter and an American!
When I first bought this book back in October, I began reading it and, after finishing Part One: Letters From Iraq, I was deeply disturbed. I put the book on my bookshelf and waited eagerly for November 2nd so I could help vote Bush out of office!

Well, that didn't happen. But, the 'war' in Iraq has now been hiked up a notch (bam!) and no one seems to care that Bush lied! He fucking lied! I am outraged!

STOP THE WAR!
BUSH IS A WAR CRIMINAL!
--From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Emily Smiltneck
I love the concept of this book. I found it at the dollar store, but it would have been worth the full price, definitely. It is full of letters from soldiers stationed in Iraq who write to Michael Moore to tell him that they appreciate his efforts on their behalf. Not all of them completely agree with him, and it is cool to see that he printed some of those letters, too. A great perspective on our current war, at least for someone who does not totally (or at all, really) support this war.
Jeff Herman
Michael Moore is an advocate for the American ideals and principles to which this great country was founded. His views and voice have angered alot of people but putting political affiliaton one should take away that the people of this country are what drives it but its the select few that are living the American dream. I am all for defending this country and truly respect and appreciate the American soldiers for their heroism but the "war" in Iraq never should have happened.
Mbiefer
The courage of those sent into war is extremely moving. I was also caught off guard by the degree of patriotism, and pride in the Constitution, expressed by the soldiers. The letters also reveal the dark side of the Iraq conflict; particularly, the idea that some people were getting rich off the war while the soldiers and civilians were being slaughtered. The idea, in this 2004 book, that there is no Marshall Plan to help Iraq post-conflict is as fresh today as it was then.
Anthony Mullally
i see why michael moore was the way he was in the oscar speech and i get why he likes to put it to the man on things that americans could of only wished to understand when bush had them blindfolded by what seem to be a shade of corruption and for me this book shows what mike wanted to show when the movie Fahrenheit 9/11 came out and for me the fact that he stood up made this book all the more potent in his fight against something that was really wrong and unjust
Sang-Woo
I would take up arms to survive to protect my life and my loved ones if like our home was under attack in whatever harmful way... but not to enlist and go to exotic and foreign countries and kill for oil, property, grudge or whatever bullshit our leaders of authority plan. And, of course there are so many others reasons to go on about, but I'll end it here as such. Thank you.
Jacob Antony
Apr 19, 2008 Jacob Antony rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People over the age of 13
Recommended to Jacob by: My father
It really opened my eyes to the wars going on in the Middle East. Stories of soldiers fighting, dying, and yet fighting again truly moved my heart. It shows what thousands of troops have experienced throughout this five-year war. Can we get out? Michael thinks we can.

WARNING:Mature content inside.
Whitney
This book is composed completely of letters from soldiers in Iraq that were written to Michael Moore or to their families that Michael Moore has published. I liked reading the informal first hand views of the soldiers about the war, views that the American media chooses not to show us.
Adam Neibauer
Boring. Just a bunch of letters sent to Michael Moore from soldiers serving over in Iraq. A good idea, but it feels cheap because Michael Moore sold himself out and used his name and photo for this project.
Catherine
I read this book a few years ago when it was first published. It's an interesting compendium of letters received by Michael Moore. Most letters comment, at least in part, on his film Fahrenheit 9/11.
Sabrina
This book appealed to my activist side. After reading it, I really wanted to do something. War is bad, it causes grief, terror, hurt, fear and anger, and serves no one but wealthy elitists, mmmkay?
Vanessa
I feel guilty as if I should have liked this more but these letters, although emotional, were not really good reading material. Only read this if you want to be sad/angry the entire time.
Jenny
This book was more on a serious side. It got me angry about how we treat our soldiers and their families. This was a compilation of stories of soldiers, veterans, and their families.
Randy Ball
I did not vote for Bush (nor would I vote for a Democrat) and I did not support the war in Iraq. However, this book is just disgusting and misleading propaganda.
  • Book of Friends
  • Hermit in Paris: Autobiographical Writings
  • A Thousand Suns
  • To the Scaffold: The Life of Marie Antoinette
  • The Lies of George W. Bush: Mastering the Politics of Deception
  • The 9/11 Commission Report: Final Report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States
  • Mourning Diary
  • Last Letters of Jacopo Ortis

Michael Moore is an American filmmaker, author and liberal political commentator. He is the director and producer of Bowling for Columbine, Fahrenheit 9/11, Sicko, and Capitalism: A Love Story, four of the top nine highest-grossing documentaries of all time.[3] In September
More about Michael Moore...
Dude, Where's My Country? Stupid White Men Downsize This! Here Comes Trouble Fahrenheit 9/11