Start by marking “Principles of Microeconomics” as Want to Read:
Principles of Microeconomics

Principles of Microeconomics

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  337 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Mankiw's Principles of Economics textbooks continue to be the most popular and widely used text in the economics classroom. PRINCIPLES OF MICROECONOMICS, 4th Edition features a strong revision of content in all 22 chapters while maintaining the clear and accessible writing style that is the hallmark of the highly respected author. The 4th edition also features an expanded ...more
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 568 pages
Published January 27th 2006 by Cengage Learning (first published July 28th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Principles of Microeconomics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Principles of Microeconomics

Cameron
FANTASTIC Text Book. Mankiw explanes principles in an incredible way. Reading this book gives the reader the lexicon and understanding needed to proceed in additional economic reading and a framework to develop strong articulate opinions on economic outcomes.
Rudy Xing
May 31, 2013 Rudy Xing added it
Shelves: business
very useful book
Kakaroet
Its good, A lot of financial terms are used but even if you are new to economics you won't get a single ounce of difficulty to understand it.
The way this book has connected each and every thing illustrated with real life and society make it easy for us to get absorbed in it. If you are new to macroeconomics this book is something I would recommend to everyone. Writing style of this book is textbook type and sometime you do think that this is a textbook, but the transition of chapters from one to
Mari
Good textbook. Clear, concise and relevant examples. Now for the exam..
Nathan
Dec 24, 2014 Nathan added it
My first econ textbook
John
Lays on the laissez-faire free market stuff very very thick. Mankiw makes some fairly basic fallacies of equation (e.g. his ideas on net job gains from breakdown of trade barriers fail to differentiate between types of jobs -- such as programming vs. Wal-Mart checkout clerk) but generally a decent economics book that nicely explain why many commonly held economic beliefs are uninformed knee-jerk mistakes.
Christina
While Principles of Microeconomics is still as easy to read as Principles of Macroeconomics, there's a lot of copying and pasting from one book to another for the first eight chapters. This textbook also skims a lot of important topics and is very, very heavy on the laissez-faire free market belief when Microeconomics is supposed to be exploring other types of markets and regulating markets.
John Rivera
Pretty good macro-econ text. This text works in tandem with online Aplia homework assignments but does fall short in some areas--equations are not always throughly explained (some times a formula isn't even given) and Aplia questions are not always answerable from information in the text

Great text, but needs to be revised to work better with it's sister work online.
Judith
I had access to an online version through Aplia and I read that too. The writing style is excellent and the layouts are nice, but I would have liked the formulas to be explained better. I had to review other books and ask friends for help on early homework probs. So if it's been a few years (or ahem, ten) since you've done algebra or calculus, get yourself a companion guide.
Bob
On the plus side this is a fairly well written and easy to understand textbook about a less than thrilling topic. On the down side, the author was an economic adviser to George W. Bush. This shows in his ardent belief of supply side economics and his cursory attention to equity. The book's online problems are helpful.
Heather Leung
This book was assigned to me by my college now class .
But I must say, for a textbook, this was actually not a bad read.
The language was not extra serious and it gave many examples that helped me understand different concepts because it was easy to relate too.
I think this would be my favorite textbook I ever read .
Mohammad.F Jaber
similar to Samuelson but a bit easier and better illustrated. my only criticism is that although id expect a micro book to be inclined towards laissez faire, but this book was a bit too inclined, it presented saving as always a positive aspiration and neglected many market failures.
Courtney
I wouldn't ordinarily put a textbook on here, but I've been using this one to teach myself, surprise surprise, the principles of microeconomics. So far, I find it easy to grasp and strongly grounded in reality.
Olga
A must-read book for everyone who hasn't had microeconomics in their undergrad. The book offers simple, concise explanations of the main concepts (supply, demand, competition etc).
Chris Gunnell
A good summary of Microeconomics (that I read because I want to take the AP test...)
but it was pretty good and not as biased as it could have been...
Muhammad Ramadhani
The writer explain us with the most understandable words compared to another text book.
Katrina
If this is book is an introduction to microeconomics then I'm Captain Picard.
Kristi
What can I say... it's a textbook. Decently interesting, at least.
Carmen
Good textbook. 6th and 7th editions are very useful in particular.
Julia
Pretty Good textbook, made introduction to Economics acessible.
Thalia
Good solid text, well laid out and actually interesting!
Josh
Better than the macroecon textbook...
Kelly
Giving this one a re-read. Great one.
Andrea
Tempted to read it again...
Liberty
A good introduction.
Erin
Fun times in Public Affairs!
  • Women and the American Experience
  • Understanding Contemporary Africa (Understanding: Introductions to the States and Regions of the Contemporary World)
  • The War for Muslim Minds: Islam and the West
  • Modern Latin America
  • Modern South Asia: History, Culture and Political Economy
  • A People and a Nation [with Atlas]
  • The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know
  • Nation of Nations
  • A History of the Twentieth Century: The Concise Edition of the Acclaimed World History
  • Microeconomic Analysis, Third Edition
  • The Two Koreas: A Contemporary History (Revised and Updated Edition)
  • Chinese Lessons: Five Classmates and the Story of the New China
  • Game Theory for Applied Economists
  • The Economics of Money, Banking, and Financial Markets (Addison-Wesley Series in Economics)
  • Kiss, Bow, or Shake Hands: The Bestselling Guide to Doing Business in More Than 60 Countries
  • Microeconomics
  • Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics
  • The Future of Power
American "new keynesian" macroeconomist. From 2003 to 2005, Mankiw was the chairman of President Bush's Council of Economic Advisors.He has since resumed teaching at Harvard, taking over the introductory economics course Social Analysis 10. More at Wikipedia.
More about N. Gregory Mankiw...
Principles of Economics Macroeconomics Principles of Macroeconomics Essentials of Economics Economics