Start by marking “A Moorland Hanging” as Want to Read:
A Moorland Hanging

A Moorland Hanging (Knights Templar #3)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  542 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The Knights TemplarThey had all joined taking three vows: poverty, chastity, and obedience...for they were monks: warrior monks, dedicated to theprotection of pilgrims in the Holy Land -- until stories spread by anavaricious king who wanted their wealth for his own destroyed the order.There was one knight, however, who escaped the stake, vowing justiceas he watched his inn ...more
Published September 4th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Moorland Hanging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Moorland Hanging

Michael Jecks
Nov 16, 2011 Michael Jecks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
While hunting around for themes for a new story, I hit upon the idea of making use of the Stannaries.
In the medieval period, the King owned all tin-mining on Dartmoor. He made a fortune from the mines, and gave miners extensive rights and benefits. They could dig anywhere where they thought there could be tin under the surface. If their extensive workings required plentiful supplies of water to wash away the soil, they could divert any water courses they wanted. And at a time when peasants were
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in August 1998.

A Moorland Hanging is the third of Jecks' Devonshire novels featuring Simon Puttock and Sir Baldwin Furnshil. Like P.C. Doherty, Simon Jecks is an author who really knows something about the medieval period. He is perhaps more interested in institutions than Doherty, and this combines with the country setting to naturally remove some of the unpleasantness of the medieval world (to a modern reader) which comes to the fore in Doherty's series of
Ed
Jan 21, 2015 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical fiction and murder mystery fans.
I stumbled on to this series and this, the third in the series, is the second one I've read. Jecks does a great job of setting the scene. He's obviously done his research. As a result it's easy to connect with the characters and their assumptions, concerns, and devotion to duty. The major protagonists in the series, Bailiff Simon Puttock and Templar Knight Sir Baldwin Furnshil seem to exemplify what was good about medieval society.

The background of this story is the tension between landowners a
Cynthiaj
I thought this one dragged a bit. I kept feeling like I was just trying to get through it so I could get on to some of the books that came home with me from the library the other day. Nice wrap up to "mystery" although I definitely did not develop empathy with the original victim.
Cece
This series is holding up well so far-although the occasional "modern" turn of phrase from a character of the era-14th century England-does niggle. But I like the plotting and the characters as they develop so far, so I will forgive the out-of-place "okay" and such.
Nancy Ellis
This was interesting in the information it had of the conflict between the tin miners and the manors, but the plot itself was too monotonous and dragged out in my opinion. That won't keep me from reading the other books in the series, though!
Dawn
While the mystery was only so-so and the characters a bit boring, the history of the legal system and the rights of the tin miners was fascinating.
Peter Nye
Very interesting background to life on Dartmoor in the early 14th century combined with a twisting, complex murder mystery. I enjoyed this very much.
Susan
Great mediaeval who done it with history coming to life.
Kept you guessing to the end as to who was the culprit.
An excellent read.
Kathy
This is the third in The Knights Templar Mystery series. I love the period, and I enjoy this author's research and authenticity.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jul 19, 2011 Marts (Thinker) marked it as sounds-interesting  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, mystery
Michael Jecks' historical mystery series 'Knights Templar'. This volume: Knights Templar #3 - A Moorland Hanging.
Megan Graham
I really enjoy Michael Jecks writing and this is another good book in the series.
Karen Henry
Enjoyable read. Medieval readings are so interesting.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Jeremy Krupp
Jeremy Krupp marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Eric De maegdt
Eric De maegdt marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Nariel
Nariel added it
Mar 27, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Pamela Ennis
Pamela Ennis marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Ady Smith
Ady Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Anna Gewecke
Anna Gewecke marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Crowner John Mystery #2)
  • An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3)
  • The Anger of God (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #4)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)
  • The Tournament of Blood (Knights Templar, #11)
The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1) The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2) The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6) The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5) The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)