Start by marking “How to Enjoy Writing: A Book of Aid and Comfort” as Want to Read:
How to Enjoy Writing: A Book of Aid and Comfort

How to Enjoy Writing: A Book of Aid and Comfort

Published June 1st 1987 by Walker & Company (first published May 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about How to Enjoy Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Enjoy Writing

John
Oct 09, 2011 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
This book mostly seems like a lazy attempt to recycle some old material into new revenue. It's basically a handful of Isaac Asimov's old articles and letters mixed with a bunch of random quotes about writing, with some new material by Janet Asimov to fill in the gaps. The result is a wildly disjointed work which seldom has anything to do with its title. If you can get past that, though, some of Isaac's insights are really quite interesting, though the parts written by Janet are virtually useless ...more
Mmiller400m
Jan 15, 2017 Mmiller400m rated it really liked it
Shelves: asimov
Two things I really liked about this book: They mention that when writing dialogue that they just use the word said. That anything else tends to put a pause when reading while the word said is very quickly absorbed and understood. The second and favorite part of the book was when writing was compared to a stained glass window versus a clear pane of glass. This beautifully put in words why I've so enjoyed reading Asimov so far. It is so very clear and easy to absorb. It's important that he writes ...more
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Apr 03, 2014 Kelly Lynn Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
First, the thing I really didn't like about this book: It had a few too many quotes from other writers, and some of the essays it collected were only excerpts (I think), not the full piece.

Now, what I really did like about it: It's the only writing book I've ever read that focuses on the pleasures of writing. All the other books focus on the all the hard work and drudgery of it, the craft, the dedication you need, blah blah blah. The Asimovs assume you already are dedicated to writing. They assu
Michael Shreeve
Aug 20, 2013 Michael Shreeve rated it really liked it
This book came at a great time in my own development as a writer. Stuck between becoming a "good" writer and a "prolific" one, I found Asimov's sentiments entirely encouraging. With over 400 books under his belt, he knows a thing or two about the subject.

My only real qualm with the book is that the longest chapter is actually about something "the authors of this book have practically no experience with..." (see chapter 8 Words vs. Pictures for an example of "empty" writing). I ended up just ski
Jeffrey
Jun 30, 2008 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
This is a great one written by the great one. And Isaac's wife, a lesser known writer, is also an accomplished writer. But almost anyone pales in comparison to Isaac. After all, he wrote some 500 books. I love his advice about writing and getting things done. He said that if it's a nice day out, close the blinds and get to work. Couldn't say it better myself.
Gail Ann Gibbs
Nov 08, 2016 Gail Ann Gibbs rated it really liked it
Like most prolific writers, Isaac Asimov had little tolerance for writer's block or other artistic excuses not to write. Still, his cheerful skewering of critics, editors, fans, and the publishing industry is kind of inspiring in itself. Cape diem, and don't let anyone or anything keep you from your art.
Accompanied by other author quotes and cartoons, this collection of short essays (compiled by Janet) can be helpful while cranking out that first draft.
Susan
Jan 20, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing

An absolute pleasure written by both Janet and Isaac Asimov. Even if you already write, skip the how-to bits and just read the fun, larky stuff - like where Isaac goes on about not understanding why anyone would have a hobby since reading and writing are the only worthwhile things to do. Great stuff.
Amelia
Aug 27, 2014 Amelia rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
I kind of enjoyed this haphazard collection of writing and life advice from the Asimovs. The opening and closing chapters were the best -- I found myself skimming some in the middle. Also, a lot of the Assimovs' concerns are very 20th century. We hardly ever have to buy stamps any more!
Chris Bridges
Mar 03, 2015 Chris Bridges rated it it was amazing
Great book with many wonderful quotes. My favorite part of the book is the story about Asimov attending a lecture about cassettes at a seminar. Two days later he was asked to speak and comparing them and the technological advances to a book.

Very upbeat and encouraging.
Michael Tildsley
Mar 27, 2011 Michael Tildsley rated it liked it
I wish it had had more Isaac, less Janet, and fewer outside quotes. Otherwise, a decent book of advice and experience on writing.

The best section, in my opinion, was on pages 100-108.
Terra
Jan 17, 2013 Terra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013

Saw this at the library when picking up another book.

Published in 1987. Reads as if written two decades earlier than that.
Katherine Jensen
Jun 04, 2012 Katherine Jensen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 89, read-now
10/16/89. No library.
Madeline Bell
Madeline Bell rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Avi
Avi rated it really liked it
May 11, 2010
Robert Taylor
Robert Taylor rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
DeeDee Tornow
DeeDee Tornow rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Zac
Zac rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2013
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2014
Jeff
Oct 18, 2010 Jeff rated it really liked it
nice comforting book on how to love writing.
Anam
Anam rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2009
Kelly Harmon
Kelly Harmon rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Ana JK
Ana JK rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2011
Jesse David
Jesse David rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2008
Karla Thomas
Karla Thomas rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Elisabeth Kinsey
Elisabeth Kinsey rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2009
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2008
Also known as: Janet Jeppson Asimov, Janet O. Jeppson, J.O. Jeppson

Janet Asimov, who originally wrote as J.O. Jeppson, is an accomplished novelist and short-story writer who sometimes worked in collaboration with her husband, the late Isaac Asimov. Among the Asimovs' joint ventures as writers is the series of juvenile novels involving an endearing robot, Norby, and his young owner, Jeff Wells.
More about Janet Asimov...