Start by marking “Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery #1)

Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  329 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Divorced and strapped for cash, Candyce [Dyce[ Dare starts up Daring Finds, a furniture refinishing business. But when she goes dumpster diving for discarded furniture[and uncovers a corpse[Dyce may find herself redecorating a jail cell.
Published October 6th 2009 by Berkley Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dipped, Stripped, and Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dipped, Stripped, and Dead

MomIsReading
I liked this new series. The main character is saucy and independent. It makes me want to go out and try to refinish a piece of furniture.
Victoria Gaile
This was an odd one. Lately I've been going through these cozies like candy, too fast to bother entering here. But for some reason, this was a very easy book for me to put down and go do something else for a while, so it lasted longer.

I liked almost everything about it: the main character's personality, her gay best friend, her crazy readaholic parents (I could see myself as them in some alternate universe...), her kid, her refinishing work, her crush on Officer Wolfe, the style of dialogue.

The...more
Erin
Katherine P
This book had way to much going on to fit into the 280 pages. Ben and Cas were likable and interesting. Dyce would've been likable and interesting if there hadn't been so much drama. Between the fact that all she ate was pancakes (which is repeated regularly), her crazy parents, her weird name and how she got it, her annoying ex-husband and his even more annoying new wife, her son's selective mutism, her ratty apartment, her crappy car, her dislike of Ben's crazy boyfriend and her increasingly t...more
Elise
Despite my desire to like an author who shares my first name, this was a tremendously formulaic mystery novel blended with the first third of a romance novel. I found the mystery itself predictable, the characters two dimensional, and the author's style unreliable at best. Unfortunately, she had a few moments of pleasing wit, which made it that much harder to write the book off as not worth reading. Alas, overall, it was a waste of time.
Cynthia
A fun book made less fun by the irritating lack of common sense and wrongheadedness of the main character, Dyce Dare. She was 30 going on 13. I may read one of the author's later books to see if Dyce shows any growth. Two and a half stars.
Christyn
It was okay. This was one of those books I really wanted to love, but sadly didn't. Let's start off by saying what I didn't like - the TSTL moments, I wondered at times if Dyce had any sense whatsoever. I appreciate strong, unique heroine's so in some ways she did resonate with me and in other ways she came off as being dumber and more ornery than anything I've seen in a while. I swear she was being stubborn just for the sake of being stubborn sometimes. But she was a character, and at times I d...more
Vickie
I wanted to like this book...and I did at least enough to finish it. I loved the new premise for the amateur sleuth, a single mom of a toddler and has her own furniture refinishing business she runs in her garage/shed. There's a lot of neat info on the how-to for refinishing along the story and at the end of the book. I liked that the book is set in Colorado, near Denver, so close to my heart, even though I couldn't figure out where the fictional town of Goldport was supposed to be emulating. I...more
Catz
I really liked the book but was really tired of hearing repeatedly how Dyce and her son lived off pancakes 3 meals a day.Also how she always kept referring to her son's chosenn muteness. Repeatedly commented how much she couldn't stand her ex and new wife. Along with how well off the ex and new wife were. How terrible her apartment was. That even her gay friend hated staying there. She always complained how crummy her car was. Once past the drama of all this it was really good. Not 5 star.

Her o...more
Cathy Cole
This is an enjoyable beginning to a cozy mystery series. Although Dyce and I don't see eye to eye about taking a paint brush to a piece of furniture, I did learn several good tips about furniture refinishing, and I loved her irreverent sense of humor. Another part of her charm for me was Dyce's ability to look at a piece of furniture and see its potential. It's the sort of ability that anyone who's decorated a house on the cheap can appreciate, and it bodes well for future mystery-inducing finds...more
Fanficfan44
I liked the protagonist Dyce, a divorced single mom, and her sidekick, Ben. The mystery was well plotted. There were some interesting and humorous characters to add color to the story, a cross-dressing ex-Marine furniture maker for one and Dyce’s parents and son for others. The romantic interest in the form of Cas was intriguing and I’m sure the romance will be developed more in later books. The dual nature of the mystery was well done, but I won’t say more than that. This is a series that I wil...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This murder mystery had me laughing from page one until the ending. Our sleuth is by occupation, a furniture refinisher trying to eek out a living for herself and son. The sleuth is far more interested in salvaging a lovely small desk than the body she comes upon in the dempster. I mean the desk is future rent payments.

Candyce phones the police of course, being a good citizen, but quickly stashes the table in her car trunk...it couldn't be part of the crime, right?

The characters were well drawn...more
Susan
A fun, enjoyable cozy mystery. I enjoyed getting to know the characters and reading about the dumpster diving/furniture refinishing business. The story flowed along nicely and kept my interest. However, I agree with other reviewers in that the move ahead/think later actions of the main character were really stupid decisions and she should have know better after doing it the first time, never mind doing it over and over.

I am already reading the second in this series so this, apparently, didn't bo...more
Beth
I would've given this 2.5 stars, if I could. Generally, there was nothing all that wrong about this book. The characters were likeable (even if some of the names were somewhat... interesting), and the storyline was relatively fun. But, for me, there was just too much of it. Everything was unnecessarily over-described. We didn't need to know every little detail about everything. And there was way too much going on. I'll probably end up checking out the next in the series, but it's unlikely to be...more
Nancy
Dyce Dare refinishes furniture in former gold mining town outside of Denver. She has a 2 1/2 year old toddler "E" for Enoch, who will only speak to her. She "dumpster dives" and finds a valuable table and a dead body. Her house is trashed and her best friend from high school, Ben, who is gay, is in an abusive relationship. Dyce meets the detective, Cas Wolfe, with whom she develops a romantic relationship. Worker in other refinishing business is killler.
Grey853
This was an interesting book in that it took a while for me to warm up to the lead character. I think the author tried a bit too hard to make her sassy in the beginning, but relaxed as the story went on. It has a lot of detail about furniture restorations, too. All in all, I'm hoping the second in the series will be better and less running around and putting her child in dangerous situations.
Terry Southard
OK little toss-away mystery. Too much repetition of detail-we hear too often about her best friend being gay, her parents being odd, her dietary habits. I think it was the mark of an author trying to establish a character in the first book of a series. Let's hope so. Won't be hanging onto the book, but I'll pass it along to friends as a "beach read" type of book.
Shannon
I finished this book and it was really good. The main character-Dyce was a very real character. Easy to relate to. She is a single mother who has her flaws. and that is what makes her easy to relate to. The book is well written. Dyce's best friend Ben is another enjoyable part to this story. And her son is rambunctious as you could ever imagine. Funny funny book.
Eli
Another story of an "average" citizen solving a crime...without a working brain cell in her head. There's no logic, no intelligence, and no deduction...don't waste your time. Dyce is one of those characters who is supposed to be a quirky rebel, but she's actually selfish, immature, less than intelligent, & a ceaseless whiner.
VJ
I read this before...several years ago...with a different cover. The good news is that I didn't remember who did it. The bad news is that it took me halfway through the book to remember that I'd read it.

It was okay. Nothing spectacular. Pretty forgettable.
Linda Smatzny
This is the first book in the Daring Finds Mystery series. The main character, Dyce Dare, is a single mother who supports herself and her son by refinishing furniture. The book was very slow to get into. The characters are hard to relate to.
ZaBeth
Cute, quick read. Surprisingly funny. Mystery was mysterious enough but won't satisfy any hard core mystery readers. If you spend your Saturday/Sundays watching DIY, House Hunters, or Trading Spaces then this will probably interest you.
Whitney
I picked this up for a dollar from a library book sell and really enjoyed it. Lovers of Janet Evanovich and Mary Kay Andrews (diy projects) would love this author. I'm excited to see what else she has published.
Clyde
Dipped, Stripped, and Dead is a quite enjoyable mystery with a nice twist. I plan read the rest of Elise Hyatt's mysteries.
(Note: Elise Hyatt is a pseudonym that Sarah A. Hoyt uses for cozy mysteries.)
Cindy
I really enjoyed this book that is first in the Daring Finds series! It was a quick read and lots of fun stuff along with the murders. I liked the characters and am looking forward to more from this series.
Jan
An enjoyable first book in this series. Since I have refinished a lot of furniture, I found it particularly interesting and I have developed a fondness for the characters.
Sue
Well written first book, interesting characters, humor - a good one to read while waiting for appts. as you can put it down, look forward to reading it and pick it up later.
Nancy Bradford
This first book in a series is full of adventure and gets you from the start. The characters are very much to be liked and should be easy for Ms. Hyatt to expand.
Brenda Kirton
I loved this book. The mystery was good. The characters were good. The story kept me involved so I stayed up way too late. I will be getting the next one.
Sherrie
I thought this was a great start to a new series. I also like that the book was set in Colorado and that the main character was a divorced mother of a toddler.
  • Tressed to Kill
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • A Deadly Row (A Mystery By The Numbers, #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • Sew Deadly (A Southern Sewing Circle, #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • Fundraising the Dead (Museum, #1)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1)
  • The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2) A Fatal Stain