Start by marking “Foundations of Astronomy” as Want to Read:
Foundations of Astronomy

Foundations of Astronomy

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  6 reviews
With this newly revised Eleventh Edition of FOUNDATIONS OF ASTRONOMY, the authors' goals are to help you use astronomy to understand science--and use science to understand what we are. Fascinating, engaging, and visually vibrant, this text will help you answer two fundamental questions: What are we? And how do we know? This edition addresses the newest developments and lat...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Thomson Brooks/Cole (first published January 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Foundations of Astronomy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foundations of Astronomy

فرهاد ذکاوت
I have the 6th edition. As a teacher, I love this book which is really attractive to students and also everyone who want to start Astronomy even his/her major is not Physics or astronomy. Quite complete reference in this level.
It is really important to provide a reference book for beginners exactly what it should be; And This book is the one. Seeds really was successful about it. You can check many introductory books for beginners and general courses of Astronomy.
Michael
I actually have the 1991 edition of this textbook, from my junior year of college. I love astronomy and I loved this book - so I kept it instead of returning it at book buy-back time. Although outdated now, there is one part that certainly isn't - and it's one of the most memorable parts: the book opens with a discussion of cosmic scale, zooming out from an overhead photo, page after page, in increasing de-magnification, taking you from a person to the known universe in ten steps. Neat stuff.
So Hakim
Oh, this is a textbook, alright -- but with more prose and less math. Actually, this should be go-to book for anyone with more-serious interest about stars, moons, planets, black holes... (the list goes on)

It's particularly well-illustrated and engaging. The style reminds me of Arthur Beiser's "Concepts of Modern Physics", in that students are expected to drill more on concepts and leave mathematical trickery for later stage. Highly recommended.
Louis Lestat 1334
Dec 01, 2012 Louis Lestat 1334 rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Louis by: teacher
It's a good reference book. Used it in Astronomy Class @ SDSU. Good pictures and information about our universe.
Teaberry
Jan 31, 2010 Teaberry marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm going to have to start all over on this book: it's been too long since I last picked it up!
Alieda
I'm such a nerd! But I love this stuff.
Jihane
Jihane marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Ellena
Ellena marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Njoku Chukwudi
Njoku Chukwudi marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Augustus
Augustus marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Feb 01, 2014
Komail
Komail marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Jan 04, 2014
C. Naveen
C. Naveen marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Shubham Lahoti
Shubham Lahoti marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Horizons: Exploring the Universe Astronomy: The Solar System and Beyond Perspectives on Astronomy: Mars-Scape or Earth-Scape? [With Online Access] The Solar System Foundations of Computer Science: From Data Manipulation to Theory of Computation