Start by marking “Foundations of Astronomy” as Want to Read:
Foundations of Astronomy

Foundations of Astronomy

With this newly revised Eleventh Edition of FOUNDATIONS OF ASTRONOMY, the authors' goals are to help you use astronomy to understand science--and use science to understand what we are. Fascinating, engaging, and visually vibrant, this text will help you answer two fundamental questions: What are we? And how do we know? This edition addresses the newest developments and lat ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Thomson Brooks/Cole (first published January 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Foundations of Astronomy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foundations of Astronomy

فرهاد ذکاوت
I have the 6th edition. As a teacher, I love this book which is really attractive to students and also everyone who want to start Astronomy even his/her major is not Physics or astronomy. Quite complete reference in this level.
It is really important to provide a reference book for beginners exactly what it should be; And This book is the one. Seeds really was successful about it. You can check many introductory books for beginners and general courses of Astronomy.
May 26, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually have the 1991 edition of this textbook, from my junior year of college. I love astronomy and I loved this book - so I kept it instead of returning it at book buy-back time. Although outdated now, there is one part that certainly isn't - and it's one of the most memorable parts: the book opens with a discussion of cosmic scale, zooming out from an overhead photo, page after page, in increasing de-magnification, taking you from a person to the known universe in ten steps. Neat stuff.
So Hakim
Jun 10, 2014 So Hakim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbook, astronomy
Oh, this is a textbook, alright -- but with more prose and less math. Actually, this should be go-to book for anyone with more-serious interest about stars, moons, planets, black holes... (the list goes on)

It's particularly well-illustrated and engaging. The style reminds me of Arthur Beiser's "Concepts of Modern Physics", in that students are expected to drill more on concepts and leave mathematical trickery for later stage. Highly recommended.
Phil Lawless
Feb 03, 2016 Phil Lawless rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the third edition, 1992. It is a little dated, but still acomprehensive coverage of astronomy. I learned many new ideas and techniques. Had I read this as a teenager, I might have pursued astronomy as a career.
Louis Lestat 1334
Dec 01, 2012 Louis Lestat 1334 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Louis by: teacher
It's a good reference book. Used it in Astronomy Class @ SDSU. Good pictures and information about our universe.
MissMagician rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Tamiko rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2010
Criistiina Mariie
Criistiina Mariie rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2013
Nicholas Slone
Nicholas Slone rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2009
Ömer Uzun
Ömer Uzun rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2014
Nick Leeson
Nick Leeson rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Aug 01, 2011 Alieda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm such a nerd! But I love this stuff.
whichwaydidshego? rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2008
Johnni Wuest
Johnni Wuest rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2015
Skye rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2011
Joe Montemayor
Joe Montemayor rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Diogo rated it really liked it
May 22, 2012
.: .A.E.R.
.: .A.E.R. rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2008
Jesse Tallman
Jesse Tallman rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
マイケル アダムス
マイケル アダムス rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
Thomas rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2008
Sydney rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Brenna rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Chaimae Baaji
Chaimae Baaji rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2013
Incee rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Anna rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2016
John rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2008
Emily Burton
Emily Burton rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2011