Start by marking “Lord of Desire (The Risande Family, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lord of Desire (The Risande Family, #1)

Lord of Desire (The Risande Family #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,035 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
He Is Every Woman's Fantasy...

Darkly handsome and sensual, Lord Brand Risande--known as "The Passionate"--is temptation incarnate. But his prowess on the battlefield and in the bedchamber hides a bitter secret: the betrayal that has sealed his heart. Now as this most feared warrior rides out to possess the lands he has won in war, he engages his most formidable enemy eve
Published December 14th 2008 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about Lord of Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of Desire

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Lord of Desire was a very good introduction for me to Paula Quinn's work. I found myself drawn into this novel about a young woman who falls in love with a man based on how powerfully he loves another woman. It sounds weird, but this was quite a hook.

Brynna came across Brand and his love Colette, frolicking in a sun-drenched pond. From that moment on, she cannot shake the visions of her black-haired, blue-green eyed merman with his all-consuming joy and passion that spills from him for his lover
TJ
Nov 12, 2011 TJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A romance that concentrates almost completely on... the romance!! While there is a little intrigue most of this story really does revolve around the relationship - or lack therewith, then development of - the love between Lord Brand Risande and Lady Brynnafar Dumont.

Brand is a passionate man. He lives and experiences everything in his life with passion. He drinks every experience in and wrings every emotion from it. That is why when betrayal hits from the woman he has gifted every inch of his
Zoe
Jan 02, 2016 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I imagine this is one of Paula Quinn's earlier books. I cannot be sure. It is a a good medieval story with 2 good characters. The conversations are a bit silly because they are just so......pretty. But I have found that a lot of the medieval stories are like that. It is as if all the warriors back then had a poetic nature, too.

Brynna was a little melodramatic for my taste. She was a Saxon lady who was forced to marry a Norman knight, Brand. William the Conqueror also played a pivotal role in th
Samantha
Jul 30, 2010 Samantha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I could have given this a better rating but Brand started to get on my nerve because he couldn't get over it. I was like you got burned dude, get over it and start loving your wife already. For someone who loved life and who didn't love the woman who had betrayed him, he sure did let her get the best of him. I'm gong to read the next one but if it follows like this, then I'll be annoyed quickly.
Gamze
Sep 12, 2014 Gamze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Epsilon sağolsun Historical türünde yeni bir yazarla daha tanışmış olduk. İyi hoş güzel deee... O kitaptaki hatalara ne demeli! Yani bir kitabı da şöyle keyifle okuyabilmek istiyorum gözüme saçma sapan hatalar takılmadan.
Lord Brand, zamanında sevdiği kadın tarafından ihanete uğramıştır. Bu nedenle o günden beri kalbini sevgiye kapamıştır. Bir savaş esnasında Lord Richard'ı yener ve onun topraklarına sahip olur.
Tabi Lordun kızı ise hiç hesapta yoktur.
Kral Edward ve William, Brand'in Leydi Bryn
Songül
Yeni bir yazar , güzel bir kurgu ama bana göre kopuklukların olduğu bir anlatım tarzı ... Ve tabii karakterlerin kimi yerlerde "bu ne şimdi ! " dedirten davranışlarını saymazsak potansiyeli olan bir yazar ..
Crista
May 19, 2010 Crista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star, medievil, series
This is a perfect candidate for a 3 star rating in my opinion. I did get through it, and enjoyed parts of it, but it did not leave a lasting impression on me. It is definitely not a keeper and I would recommend borrowing it from the library rather than purchasing it.

Brand "the passionate" Risande has been burned by love. His fiancee was caught "in the act" with one of his good friends and his heart has been burned and sealed off ever since.

When he is forced to wed Brynna in order to avoid war,
Elle
Mar 22, 2011 Elle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good read-I love Medieval stories, so this one had a point in its favor to begin with. I also liked the way the heroine dealt with difficult situations. One little quibble -- from a history buff's perspective, while I generally liked the portrayal of William the Conqueror, the author evidently didn't do her research. This story is set two years before the Battle of Hastings. By then, William was very married to Matilda of Flanders, and reputedly faithful to her until well after his corona ...more
Elis Madison
I'll start by saying that I really liked this story. Forced to marry in order to prevent a war and the destruction of her home, Brynnafar is prepared to hate the Norman who won her home by defeating her father in man-to-man combat. What she was unprepared for is that her enemy is the man she once saw cavorting with his lover. The pure, unguarded passion and joy she saw on his face then captivated her, and he's haunted her dreams ever since.

But Brand is a changed man. A betrayal years ago has tur
Marttha Zazueta
Feb 10, 2015 Marttha Zazueta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creo que tengo un nuevo género por agregar a mis gustos...

Me gustó mucho la forma en que Paula describía todo, me sentía transportada a la época de los Lores, aunque algunas veces, por la misma descripción de las escenas, sentía que estaba mucho más de acuerdo a la época actual, ni idea si solo me pasó a mi o si tenga mucho más que ver con la forma en la cual está traducida la historia.

Hubo un momento en que, según yo agregaron una escena, a la cual llamé "escena de telenovela" pero me tragué m
Anastasia
Feb 18, 2014 Anastasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PERFECTION!

I would like to start by noting that this is the first review I have been compelled to write. I am most certainly typically partial to Highland romances. I will automatically read anything in this genre by Monica McCarty, Michele Sinclair, Maya Banks, Eliza Knight, Karen Marie Moning, Kerrigan Byrne, Margaret Mallory, Mary Wine and Jennifer Ashley; however, my favorite unquestionably is Paula Quinn. I actually found her through the "authors similar to" list.

After reading a number of
Min Li Li
Jun 16, 2015 Min Li Li rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hiç bu kadar iyi olacağını sanmıyordum ama umduğumdan da güzel çıktı.Yayınevi devamını da çıkarsa keşke. *-*
Jilly
Dec 05, 2011 Jilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It sounded a little cheesy at first and if you aren’t into romances then well maybe it is. I recently decided while I love Highlanders I wanted something with Vikings or Celts, Norse or something of the kind. Norman and Saxon was a good start.

So I requested it on PBS. I’m so happy I did. Paula Quinn is very poetic even in the most passionate of scenes and the sexual tension between the characters make for quite the read. I could hardly put the book down and in fact ended up reading half Saturday
Rachel
Jun 21, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I've been wanting to read this for quite some time so I was really happy when it was re-released in e-book form! I loved it!! Such a great little story about finding love when you don't want or expect it! Brynna is such a fierce female! She doesn't hold her tongue and sit idly by! She takes life by the reins and really gives it her all, be it in defense of her home, her family or her heart! Brand is...he's....YUM! Goodness me, he's yummy! I love the first glimpse of him as the mysterious merman ...more
Anne
Aug 23, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical romace lovers
Very enjoyable story of a young Saxon lady whose home has been confiscated by the Norman Invaders of England. The owner has been spared and the knight who captured him has been ordered by William the Conqueror to wed the daughter. The Knight has no desire to marry. The only time he gave is heart he was destroyed by her treachery and wants nothing more to do with any woman. he agrees to the marriage but states he will never love his bride. As time goes on, he fights her attraction, still remember ...more
Lily
Oct 01, 2015 Lily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
Michelle
Dec 17, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tengo una debilidad por esta clase de libros <3
Chumchum_88
I just LOVED IT!!!
This book was so amazing, it was truly a page turner I couldn't put the book down.
It was beautiful, cute, heartwarming and exhilarating. I loved brynna and how she is so stubborn and kinda felt sorry for brand but man he was stubborn too!!
But what I loved most was William. I read many books that mention William the conqueror but I really loved him in this one. In times I even envied brynna for I wished I had a friend like him.
Claudia
Loved it. This was awesome!

the setting was more than well-done, the characters were great and loveable - especially Brand and Brynna were strong, honorable and with their own small flaws.
the story was good

all in all an awesome read and one of the reasons why I am reading such books
Jo
Sep 01, 2015 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 300-to-399-pages
Lord of Desire is a story of love and conquest but the question is, "Is the handsome warrior winning his spoils or is the beautiful lady the ultimate winner if she can capture his heart?" I love a great love story, don't you?
Kübra
Feb 17, 2015 Kübra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gerçekten çok güzel bir historical romandı. Kurgusu ve karakterler tam sevdiğim tarzda idi. Sadece romanda geçen iltifatları sevmedim. o kadar abartılı iltifatlardı ki gerçek hayatta duysam baygınlık geçirirdim herhalde
Pınar
Oct 21, 2014 Pınar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beklediğimden iyi çıkan kitapları okuyunca seviniyorum. Açıkçası bu kitaba zordan başlamıştım ama gayet iyi çıktı. Tabii yine hafiften bir ısrarcı kız vak'ası vardı ama neyse ki adam da çok zorlayıcı olmadığından diş gıcırdatmak zorunda kalmadım.
Hikayeyle ilgili en büyük sorunum geçtiği dönem. O dönemleri İskoçlardan okumaya alıştım İngilizler nasıl desem tuhaf geldi ve adapte olamadım. Fazla laubali tavırları vardı. İsteyen istediğini yapıyor, Colette herkesin altına yatıyor falan. Ne biliyim
MARY JANE
Jun 16, 2015 MARY JANE rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

I love all of Paula Quinn books because it takes you to a land of true love and fantasy too.
The Window Seat
I’ve wanted to revisit this series for some time. Finally the opportunity came so I jumped in with both feet! I am a great fan of Paula Quinn’s work and this just happened to be the first book of hers that I ever read, and a coincidence; it was her first published novel. I wasn’t disappointed in this sojourn. I enjoyed it just as much the second time through, visiting with old friends and, well, those gorgeous Risande men!

The book begins as Brynnafar, daughter of Lord Richard Dumont, is on her w
Stevie
3.5 Stars. I am a big fan of PQ, so I will read whatever she writes. She has a way of telling a story that permiates. I liked the book, I wouldn't rave over it, but it has stayed with me and I miss being in it. I loved Brand's character; he was the typical knight in shining armour with rough edges only true love can smooth. I also loved his ruthlessness. Very seldom does the hero follow through on the "touch her again and I will kill you" threat. Very good scene, but... And that leads me to Bryn ...more
Jackie
I have finally had the pleasure of reading every historical romance written by author Paula Quinn . This copy came to me in brand new condition from Paperback Swap last month and I held on to it as my Christmas read and it was well worth the wait!
Personally I love to immerse myself in Historical/Political Romance reads and this one did not disappoint me!
The story of Lord Brand Risande and Lady Brynnafar Dumont takes place in 1064-1065 and is one that has been told before but this one had the add
Lucy *Mrs Khalid*

I am struck speechless and it's Paula Quinn's fault, since the woman has the most amazing gift to write amazing love stories. This one isn't different.

Brand and Brynna's love story is truly unforgettable.

I love Brand Risande so much, that I don't even have words to express the intensity of the feeling.

I loved how intensely he loved, how selflessly he gave that love away and the loyalty he still showed to his own feelings, even though it pissed me off seing him suffering so for someone who didn'
Amelia Fransiska
SAM + MOC seharusnya ruarr biasaa..
Tapi koq menurut gw biasa aj,, gak ada ruarr nya.
Pdhl hot jg bo...
Mungkin krna POV nya bnyk sangat.
Gw gak peduli ama POV nya William - si duke geje, Alysa - maid nya Brynnafar, ato Richard - bokap Brynnafar, Colette - mantan Brand, n Dante - ade Brand, mm kalo Dante gw pduli dikit, soalnya dia seksi abis! (sequelnya ni series ttg Dante, Hwohohoho)

Ni HR seting Medieval - 1060an..
Awal2nya menjanjikan bgt d, gw jd inget A Kingdom of Dreams nya JM..
Lady Brynna msti
Jewel
Oct 01, 2012 Jewel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We have sort of a Romeo and Juliet type of story here with two lovebirds from groups who are against one another, but in this scenario they are forced to marry.

I didn't take enough world history to fully grasp why these Saxons and Normans didn't get along. Finally I figured out that the Normans were from Normandy and French and the Saxons must be the English dudes. So then when I figured out that they were opposite sides in a land war, I couldn't grasp why these guys were all getting along so sw
Erica
Oct 04, 2015 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 14, 2015 09:38AM
  • The Lily And The Sword (Medieval, #1)
  • Never Marry a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #3)
  • Love According to Lily (American Heiresses, #4)
  • Master of Torment (Blood Sword Legacy, #2)
  • Nothing But Velvet (Litchfield, #1)
  • To Wed a Highlander (The McTiernays, #2)
  • By Arrangement
  • His Wicked Ways (McKay, #1)
  • The Conqueror
  • Knight of Desire (All the King's Men #1)
  • The Dragon Lord
  • In Bed With A Stranger (McJames, #1)
  • A Restless Knight (The Dragons of Challon, #1)
  • Highland Master (Scottish Knights Trilogy #1)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • Her Irish Warrior
  • The Bride Hunt (Conqueror, #1)
  • Summer's Storm (The Graistan Chronicles, #2)
Paula Quinn is a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author of medieval and Scottish historical romance. To date, four of her books have garnered a starred review from Publishers Weekly. She has been nominated for Storyteller of the year by RT Book Reviews and every one of her books from the Children of the Mist series have garnered Top Picks from RT Book Reviews. Her latest, The Taming Of Malcolm ...more
More about Paula Quinn...

The Risande Family (3 books)
  • Lord of Temptation (The Risande Family, #2)
  • Lord of Seduction (The Risande Family, #3)