Start by marking “Edible Landscaping” as Want to Read:
Edible Landscaping

Edible Landscaping

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Since Rosalind Creasy popularized the concept of landscaping with edibles a quarter-century ago, interest in eating healthy, fresh, locally grown foods has swept across the nation. More and more Americans are looking to grow clean, delicious produce at home, saving money and natural resources at the same time. And food plants have been freed from the backyard, gracing the ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Counterpoint (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Edible Landscaping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edible Landscaping

Amy
Very interesting! I learned a lot about what's edible and what's not, what works well in small spaces (even containers) and what works best if you let it spread!

There are sections in the back that that talk about each plant detailing the effort it takes to grow, what zones the plant grows best in, a thumbnail description of the plant, how to use (in the kitchen, in the landscape), how to grow (climate, exposure & soil, fertilizing, watering, pruning, pests & diseases, and harvesting). Th
Veronica
OK, I think I have read this book 20 times since it came out in November. This is a must have for anyone wanting to garden, thinking about gardening or you just want to slobber over Rosalind's beautiful edible yard and photos of vegetable gardens. More than that, she provides all of her years of experience in this book with great ideas, tips and how adding pots of herbs and veggies can get you started. This is an excellent book to add to your gardening trove and one you will be visiting often.
Kristina Seleshanko
Once you understand the concept of edible landscaping - simply planting edibles in among ornamentals in your landscape - you might think a whole book about the topic is really a waste of paper. But Creasy proves that idea false in this classic gardening book. Not only does the book contain a large section devoted to plants suitable for suburban and urban edible landscaping - including many varieties you might not have heard of, but which are smaller and well adapted to edible landscaping - but i ...more
Stacy
The must-have reference book for those interested in edible landscaping. Creasy begins by sharing her story of having too shady a backyard to grow a vegetable or herb garden, so she decided to demolish her front lawn and come up with a landscape using plants that are both edible and attractive.

Her career as a landscaper took off from there and she has now designed edible landscapes all over the US. She points out the irony of useless lawns, and the habit of many homeowners throwing away leaves
Janie
I think my expectations might have been too elevated. I heard this is the one true book for anyone wanting to rely on any amount of land for any sort of food production.

The gardens are very pretty, and the appendices are somewhat useful.

I can't figure out who it's for. Maybe I don't know enough to make use of it; maybe I knew too much to find it enlightening. I wouldn't recommend it as a resource for harvest, zones, guilds or companion planting, perennials, annuals, or general design.
Po
Having checked the original version of this book (written 30 years ago) from the library multiple times, I was excited to hear that an updated version was being published. Roz Creasy knows her stuff. Unlike some veggie gardening books, she makes a point of discussing design. She has nice photos of other edible landscapes for inspiration and includes plan views of several gardens to give you a feel of how things are laid out.

I love that for each plant she includes sections on how to use it in th
Deodand
Like other books if it's kind, this one suffers occasionally from too many aspirational photos of millionaires' yards. It also contains the most helpful advice on the subject of gardening for aesthetics and harvest. So, I liked it for its practical side.
Angela
So completely inspiring. My favorite gardening book ever. This is what I am trying to do with my yard. The plant encyclopedia is huge and varied, but I still recommend trying to find recommendations that are very specific and local for your region, especially for fruit trees.
Manintheboat
Beautiful! So many garden books are remiss in covering multiple climates. She covers most of the US and provides helpful plans.
The list of suppliers in the back had some places I've never heard of. Covers basic plants and I learned about new plants.
A perfect gardening book. One of the best I've ever read.
J.C. Gary
I love this book and refer to it often.
Blakely
This book is awesome! Anyone who would like to incorporate more fruits or vegetables into their yard, but do so in an attractive manner should read this. I originally got this book from the library but I like it so much I plan on purchasing it (and I very rarely buy books).
Catherine
An unbelievable amount of useful information packed into one book. Covers all types of edibles, where to buy, how to plant, care for, and harvest them. Oh, and how to design your landscape so that everything works together and looks great. Is it spring yet?
Leah
Inspiring book if you: a) live in a warm climate b) don't have bunnies/critters in your yard. Creasy provides great ideas, but they are not feasible for my climate & critter population.
Jamie
Nov 27, 2010 Jamie marked it as to-read
Just read about this in today's Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/...
Shannon
Loved it! How to add edibles to your landscaping. It had many great ideas that are doable.
William
Comprehensive treatment of the subject.

Lots of good color photos.

Good section on soil.
Megan
Aug 09, 2011 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Katy
Shelves: gardening
I'm going to have to buy this one. I'm all excited about landscaping with fruit now!
Eileen
Good basic reference for beginners with a nice section on plant materials.
Sheri Bauer
Love the landscaping ideas. The encyclopedia of plants is very helpful.
Annie
I got some good ideas for my garden from this book.
Slee
This is the guide you're looking for.
Karen Holt
My new favorite garden book!
Derek
Enjoyable, very accessible.
Kimberly Swait
Beautiful and inspiring
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Richard Snyder
Richard Snyder marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens
  • Landscaping With Fruit: Strawberry ground covers, blueberry hedges, grape arbors, and 39 other luscious fruits to make your yard an edible paradise.
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • One Magic Square: The Easy, Organic Way to Grow Your Own Food on a 3-Foot Square
  • Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • The Self-Sufficient Gardener
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • Edible Estates: Attack on the Front Lawn
  • Beautiful No-Mow Yards: 50 Amazing Lawn Alternatives
  • Introduction to Permaculture
The Complete Book of Edible Landscaping: Home Landscaping with Food-Bearing Plants and Resource-Saving Techniques The Edible Herb Garden The Edible Flower Garden The Edible Heirloom Garden (Edible Garden) The Edible French Garden (Edible Garden Series, Vol. 3)