Start by marking “Humbug Mountain” as Want to Read:
Humbug Mountain

Humbug Mountain

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Welcome to Humbug Mountain. Little did Wiley, the son of a traveling newspaperman, imagine that the search for his grandfather would lead him into the hands of those nasty villains of the WestShagnasty John and the Fool Killer. Using their newspaper, The Humbug Mountain Hoorah, Wiley and his sister and mother go about outwitting the outlaws in their scheme to ambush Grandf ...more
Published April 1st 1988 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Humbug Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humbug Mountain

Troublemaker
Sep 25, 2015 Troublemaker rated it it was amazing
Loved this story. Great old-west plot and really great as a story to read to the kids.

Give it a go.
Lana Jackson
A delightful story of the old west: Gold fever, steam boats, traveling newspaper man, and villians with adorably creative names. Young Wiley, his sister and Mom want to settle down, but it seems something always happens and they have to pack up the printing press and move on. They decide to go to the town that Grandfather founded, but the town isn't there, nor is Grandfather. All they find is a land-locked steamboat and two nasty villans.

Adventure, historical information, and a resolving of Wil
Melissa Mcavoy
Sep 14, 2013 Melissa Mcavoy rated it really liked it
With a dad who is an itinerant newspaper-man thirteen year-old Wiley, his ten year-old sister Glorietta and their parents are always on the move. Sometimes they are running from townfolk who don't appreciate the dad's brand of reporting, sometimes they are seeking Opportunity. This time there is some hope they might actually find a place to settle down, that is if they can manage to out-fox some scoundrels.

The story is full of humor and action, tall tales and tricks. A great book for kids who en
Elsie
Jul 31, 2013 Elsie rated it really liked it
Ok, this just goes to show you that you can judge a book by its cover. I borrowed this book from the pioneer library (e-book) and the big reason was that there was an updated cover that was really cool. I saw it, I liked it, and I wanted to read it. The cover really didn't have much to do with the book, but it was cute. So was the book. Good writing, funny characters, and just an easy kids read that I liked. I hope I can get some of my grandkids to read it sometime.
Chloe
Apr 03, 2009 Chloe rated it really liked it
Typical Sid Fleischman book. Almost as good as "By The Great Hornspoon." As usual, Sid's villains are pretty ornery. Definitely not a book to read to little kids. I'd wait till they're about 10. However, might be useful for teaching American history - Steamboat travel, gold rush, buffalos, etc.
Randi
Jan 26, 2013 Randi rated it really liked it
Had fun reading this to my kids. They enjoyed this Midwestern tale of adventure.
Patrick Cooley
Patrick Cooley rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Finnegan Forsyth
Finnegan Forsyth rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Sunderbug
Sunderbug marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Kristen Smith
Kristen Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Michael Giaccio
Michael Giaccio marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Sandi
Sandi marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 12, 2015
MC
MC marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Natalia P. Bermejo
Natalia P. Bermejo rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Melissa Hozey
Melissa Hozey rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
lucky little cat
lucky little cat marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Loisa
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Alpa
Alpa added it
Jul 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
As a children's book author Sid Fleischman felt a special obligation to his readers. "The books we enjoy as children stay with us forever -- they have a special impact. Paragraph after paragraph and page after page, the author must deliver his or her best work." With almost 60 books to his credit, some of which have been made into motion pictures, Sid Fleischman can be assured that his work will m ...more
More about Sid Fleischman...