Start by marking “Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional” as Want to Read:
Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional

Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  27 reviews

"Outstanding! hits the nail on the head in every way: Practical content, terrific stories, and an easy read. Miller has provided a road map for organizations to become exceptional--just follow the path laid out. Definitely a must read!"
--Dave Ramsey, author of Total Money Makeover and host of The Dave Ramsey Show

Every day outstanding organizations do things and promote
Published January 7th 2010 by Putnam Adult (first published December 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Outstanding!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outstanding!

Kevin Eikenberry
I love a couple of things when I pick up a book. I love when the title is clear and promises me something tangible (something of course that I care about). I also love when the book delivers. Plus, when the book is written by a really smart person, who I’ve had the privilege to work with a bit, it’s even better.

This book is all of those things.

- See more at: http://blog.kevineikenberry.com/leade...
Queenie
Feb 03, 2011 Queenie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all people, especially supervisors and execs
Outstanding! has so much content in it, it's a book to be studied by a team. And yet the short chapters make it a delightfully easy read. As a supervisor for a small Customer Service group, I am constantly looking for information that will encourage and motivate my employees to provide the best in service to our customers. With little to no budget in which to meet our training needs, I have made it a personal priority to seek out books, articles, free online training, etc., materials that will b ...more
Jacki
John Miller's book, OUTSTANDING!: 47 WAYS TO MAKE YOUR ORGANIZATION EXCEPTIONAL, is, well, ... OUTSTANDING! The author of QBQ and Flipping the Switch, may have written his best book ever. Quite often authors put out a book that is little more than a regurgitation of their earlier books. Not so, here.

Each of Miller's 47 points are given a chapter. Each one is valuable in its' own way. In Chapter 3, I realized why some of my training initiatives fail. I don't always put purpose first. If people do
Jackie
Outstanding! is a fairly easy read and contains some practical content on how to improve your company or professional organization, but at 47 chapters, albeit short ones, it’s a lot to plow through in one sitting. I found it most useful to peruse the table of contents and read a chapter that had some appeal for me at the time. And although some of the ideas contained in the book have value and seem fairly easy to put into practice, I wonder if most organizations are introducing these principles ...more
Kelli
This book is about how to better your professional organization. I heard about it on the radio and it sounded really good. I'm weird. I listened to it and thought of the principles and how they apply to the organization of the family. I found it sort of enlightening in that regard. In the audio - the author talks too fast, though. It's hard to wrap your brain around one point before he's off to the next.
Don The Idea Guy Snyder
It's surprising how little effort it actually takes to be considered "outstanding" by your clients in just about any category. What's also surprising is how little effort is taken by companies and individuals to actually BE outstanding. Follow the lessons and learn from the stories in this book, and you'll be well on your way to becoming OUTSTANDING.
Chad Stutzman
I enjoyed this book, because it was simple, to the point and filled with real life stories of outstanding service and flat out bad service. If you follow these principles your organization will be outstanding. The key is individuals understanding these principles and putting them into practice. Read this book and start doing it.
Marc Bowers
This was a simple read, but John provided powerful and great tips on how to make your organization/company outstanding. John included 47 tips with some work and can help your company stand out from the competition and be excellent every single day.
Stephanie
Had to read for work. It's like a Dan Brown book: Short, overly simple chapters, trite ideas, rehashing other's stories, etc. Finished it in about an hour & thought that time would have been better spent doing anything else.
David
Miller has a very clear and effective communication style. Some of the 47 ways to make an organization exceptional include personal responsibility, clear communication and not forgetting the little things when serving customers.
Amy
Probably more of a 3.5

It's mostly common sense... the problem is that trainings in organizations often lack common sense.

Sometimes, Miller could have used a stronger illustration to demonstrate a strategy.
Andy Fletcher
I just read this book "on tape" and loved it! Also enjoying the QBQ book. Nothing tremendously new, but as a business owner/team leader/manager, this is really good material to review over and over and over.
Colin Bendell
An Ok collection of anecdotes on what it takes to make an outstanding organization. Similar to Good to Great but without the research and data.
Chris Tucker
It si a great book to read in short spurts. An initial read through is good, but then you can use it like a work book to focus on different skills.
Barbara Lovejoy
Love this book! Will definitely use the ideas in this book to make our charter school, Esperanza, outstanding.
Darrell
I met John Miller boarding a plane at DIA. After a short conversation, he gave me a book and signed it.
Alissa
Good, practical advice, love the nuggets of wisdom and the suggestions at the end to take action
Jerilyn
Useful ideas and things to think about no matter what kind of organization you work for.
Rachel
Great format--short anecdotal examples of ways to make an organization outstanding. Easy read!
Jeff Pattison
Great book on getting back to the basics of making an organization great.
Krista Streuly
Nothing short of Outstanding!! For any organization!
Philip Meinel
Great reference for specific areas of improvement.
Brian
Some good lessons in the book for business.
Anthony
Excellent book with some great illustrations.
Marci
great stuff made simple.
Lawrence
Good book. read it
Scott
Not outstanding.
Avolyn Fisher
Avolyn Fisher marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Christina Chateauvert
Christina Chateauvert marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Compassionate Samurai: Being Extraordinary in an Ordinary World
  • Leadership and Liberty
  • Voyage of a Viking
  • The 12 Week Year
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • The Laws of Lifetime Growth: Always Make Your Future Bigger Than Your Past
  • Business for the Glory of God: The Bible's Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business
  • The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • The Heart of a Leader
  • Toughen Up!
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • The Return of the Ragpicker
  • Man of Steel and Velvet
  • Attitude Is Everything: Change Your Attitude...and You Change Your Life!
QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability at Work and in Life Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ! Parenting the QBQ Way: How to be an Outstanding Parent and Raise Great Kids Using the Power of Personal Accountability Personal Accountability : Powerful and Practical Ideas for You and Your Organization Parenting the QBQ Way, Expanded Edition: How to be an Outstanding Parent and Raise Great Kids Using the Power of Personal Accountability