Start by marking “Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional” as Want to Read:
Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional

Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  230 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
"Outstanding! hits the nail on the head in every way: Practical content, terrific stories, and an easy read. Miller has provided a road map for organizations to become exceptional--just follow the path laid out. Definitely a must read!"
--Dave Ramsey, author of Total Money Makeover and host of The Dave Ramsey Show

Every day outstanding organizations do things and promot
Published January 7th 2010 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published December 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Outstanding!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outstanding!

Kevin Eikenberry
I love a couple of things when I pick up a book. I love when the title is clear and promises me something tangible (something of course that I care about). I also love when the book delivers. Plus, when the book is written by a really smart person, who I’ve had the privilege to work with a bit, it’s even better.

This book is all of those things.

- See more at: http://blog.kevineikenberry.com/leade...
Queenie
Feb 03, 2011 Queenie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all people, especially supervisors and execs
Outstanding! has so much content in it, it's a book to be studied by a team. And yet the short chapters make it a delightfully easy read. As a supervisor for a small Customer Service group, I am constantly looking for information that will encourage and motivate my employees to provide the best in service to our customers. With little to no budget in which to meet our training needs, I have made it a personal priority to seek out books, articles, free online training, etc., materials that will b ...more
Jacki
Feb 02, 2011 Jacki rated it it was amazing
John Miller's book, OUTSTANDING!: 47 WAYS TO MAKE YOUR ORGANIZATION EXCEPTIONAL, is, well, ... OUTSTANDING! The author of QBQ and Flipping the Switch, may have written his best book ever. Quite often authors put out a book that is little more than a regurgitation of their earlier books. Not so, here.

Each of Miller's 47 points are given a chapter. Each one is valuable in its' own way. In Chapter 3, I realized why some of my training initiatives fail. I don't always put purpose first. If people do
Jackie
Mar 10, 2013 Jackie rated it it was ok
Shelves: chapter-hopped
Outstanding! is a fairly easy read and contains some practical content on how to improve your company or professional organization, but at 47 chapters, albeit short ones, it’s a lot to plow through in one sitting. I found it most useful to peruse the table of contents and read a chapter that had some appeal for me at the time. And although some of the ideas contained in the book have value and seem fairly easy to put into practice, I wonder if most organizations are introducing these principles ...more
Kelsey Yates
Mar 21, 2015 Kelsey Yates rated it really liked it
I admit I didn't expect anything exciting from this book as I've read his other three books and other similar business books. I would be reading along when suddenly a diamond just lands in my lap. It is an excellent book. I love that his books are not to long and the chapters are short. I recommend all 4 of John Miller's books with QBQ! being the first on the list of to-read.
bookreader
The customers of a business are everywhere and can fire the business at any time. Implementing these commonsense, practical ideas will help prevent your customers from doing so.
Kelli
Apr 25, 2010 Kelli rated it liked it
This book is about how to better your professional organization. I heard about it on the radio and it sounded really good. I'm weird. I listened to it and thought of the principles and how they apply to the organization of the family. I found it sort of enlightening in that regard. In the audio - the author talks too fast, though. It's hard to wrap your brain around one point before he's off to the next.
Don The Idea Guy
Apr 06, 2011 Don The Idea Guy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011_dtig
It's surprising how little effort it actually takes to be considered "outstanding" by your clients in just about any category. What's also surprising is how little effort is taken by companies and individuals to actually BE outstanding. Follow the lessons and learn from the stories in this book, and you'll be well on your way to becoming OUTSTANDING.
Chad Stutzman
Aug 17, 2013 Chad Stutzman rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, because it was simple, to the point and filled with real life stories of outstanding service and flat out bad service. If you follow these principles your organization will be outstanding. The key is individuals understanding these principles and putting them into practice. Read this book and start doing it.
Marc Bowers
Jul 11, 2011 Marc Bowers rated it it was amazing
This was a simple read, but John provided powerful and great tips on how to make your organization/company outstanding. John included 47 tips with some work and can help your company stand out from the competition and be excellent every single day.
Stephanie
Apr 02, 2010 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Had to read for work. It's like a Dan Brown book: Short, overly simple chapters, trite ideas, rehashing other's stories, etc. Finished it in about an hour & thought that time would have been better spent doing anything else.
David
Jul 19, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Miller has a very clear and effective communication style. Some of the 47 ways to make an organization exceptional include personal responsibility, clear communication and not forgetting the little things when serving customers.
Amy
May 14, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Probably more of a 3.5

It's mostly common sense... the problem is that trainings in organizations often lack common sense.

Sometimes, Miller could have used a stronger illustration to demonstrate a strategy.
Andy Fletcher
Feb 10, 2013 Andy Fletcher rated it really liked it
I just read this book "on tape" and loved it! Also enjoying the QBQ book. Nothing tremendously new, but as a business owner/team leader/manager, this is really good material to review over and over and over.
Colin Bendell
Mar 01, 2011 Colin Bendell rated it liked it
An Ok collection of anecdotes on what it takes to make an outstanding organization. Similar to Good to Great but without the research and data.
Chris Tucker
Aug 22, 2012 Chris Tucker rated it it was amazing
It si a great book to read in short spurts. An initial read through is good, but then you can use it like a work book to focus on different skills.
Barbara Lovejoy
Mar 22, 2011 Barbara Lovejoy rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Will definitely use the ideas in this book to make our charter school, Esperanza, outstanding.
Darrell
Apr 06, 2012 Darrell rated it really liked it
I met John Miller boarding a plane at DIA. After a short conversation, he gave me a book and signed it.
Alissa
Nov 19, 2010 Alissa rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, business, 2010
Good, practical advice, love the nuggets of wisdom and the suggestions at the end to take action
Jerilyn
Apr 14, 2011 Jerilyn rated it it was amazing
Useful ideas and things to think about no matter what kind of organization you work for.
Rachel
Jan 02, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Great format--short anecdotal examples of ways to make an organization outstanding. Easy read!
Jeff Pattison
Jan 30, 2013 Jeff Pattison rated it really liked it
Great book on getting back to the basics of making an organization great.
Krista Streuly
Sep 14, 2011 Krista Streuly rated it it was amazing
Nothing short of Outstanding!! For any organization!
Philip Meinel
Great reference for specific areas of improvement.
Brian
Aug 06, 2011 Brian rated it did not like it
Some good lessons in the book for business.
Anthony
Jul 16, 2011 Anthony rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with some great illustrations.
Marci
Scott
Mar 02, 2010 Scott rated it it was ok
Not outstanding.
Chris Ross
Chris Ross marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
  • The Compassionate Samurai: Being Extraordinary in an Ordinary World
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • TEAM Textbook
  • Business for the Glory of God: The Bible's Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business
  • The Laws of Lifetime Growth: Always Make Your Future Bigger Than Your Past
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • The 12 Week Year
  • Confidence of a Champion: Becoming Who You Were Created to Be by Letting Go of Lies from the Past
  • The Return of the Ragpicker
  • Resolved Primer: A Look Into The 13 Resolutions
  • The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work
  • Toughen Up!
  • Am I Really a Christian?
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers