Start by marking “The Last Godfather: The Life and Crimes of Arthur Thompson” as Want to Read:
The Last Godfather: The Life and Crimes of Arthur Thompson

The Last Godfather: The Life and Crimes of Arthur Thompson

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  98 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
No one could rule bloody Glasgow, they said. Arthur Thompson proved them all wrong. For forty years Thompson ruled Glasgow's mean streets, always devising new terror.
Published June 15th 2006 by Interlink Publishing Group (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Godfather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Godfather

Ian
Dec 31, 2014 Ian rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, true-crime
Harsh and brutal. Brilliantly written. Doesn't glamourise the violence at all, or try to make Arthur Thompson out to be one of these 'lovable' rogues. Puts it across how I expect it probably was, and gives you a real feel of hoe 'Gangland Glasgow' was. An 'enjoyable' read.
JK
Jun 17, 2015 JK rated it it was ok
I wasn't too excited about reading this as the last non-fiction book I'd read about Glasgow crime wasn't too exciting. This, however, was really good.

It was very clear, concise, and easy to read. I tend to find that a lot of non-fiction crime books get really bogged down with details, but this was a lot more about personality, and was written almost as fiction. It gives a good idea of what kind of people the characters really are, and the crimes become more shocking as a result of this.

However,
Liam10uk
Jan 06, 2014 Liam10uk rated it really liked it
Good read.

A lot of it was about Paul ferris (who I understand has his own book written by this author), a lot of the book was talking down about Thompson, who it outlined wasn't a nice person to the public or other crooks and had very little honour, I don't know if all the book is facts, but it's a very entertaining read nonetheless and I done it in 3 days.

I think I'll read ferris' book and other characters that were involved in the Glasgow crime scene.

Anyone got any recommendations?
Jason
Feb 19, 2008 Jason rated it it was amazing
Detailing the life of the notorious godfather of gangland Glasgow, Arthur Thomppson.

Good read and outlines the plight of a lot of people growing up on the mean streets...
Alan Galli
Aug 08, 2013 Alan Galli rated it it was amazing
Brilliant read about the life and crimes of The Godfather Arthur Thompson, some great parts to the book, really enjoyed the latter part of the book.
sarah brown
sarah brown rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Eogon
Eogon rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Kenny
Kenny rated it did not like it
May 10, 2016
Gordon
Gordon rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Joanne  Maxwell
Joanne Maxwell rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Mark J.
Mark J. rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2016
denise knight
denise knight rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
David Lidstone
David Lidstone rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2016
thomas walker
thomas walker rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2016
Kirsty MacCrone
Kirsty MacCrone rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Maggie WINTER
Maggie WINTER rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Paul Cooper
Paul Cooper rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Mr J A Fergus
Mr J A Fergus rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
sev mehmet
sev mehmet rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Helda
Helda rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2016
Stephen Mclees
Stephen Mclees rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
angela Carlisle
angela Carlisle marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Mary Jo
Mary Jo marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016