Start by marking “Mystic Sweet Communion” as Want to Read:
Mystic Sweet Communion

Mystic Sweet Communion (Dream Catcher)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  204 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Set in turn-of-the-century Florida, this frontier saga traces the life of Ivy Cromartie Stranahan, the first English-speaking teacher in the region, as she struggles to teach school in the Seminole Nation and lead Indian families to Christ. Ivy is disliked by tribal leaders in spite of her obvious love for their children, yet she eventually overcomes their resistance and s ...more
Published September 30th 2009 by Multnomah (first published October 2nd 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Mystic Sweet Communion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystic Sweet Communion

Karen
Feb 20, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stranahan, is a tapestry of faith, ambition and ahead-of-her-time activism. The first teacher in Florida's Broward County, she and husband Frank are among the few people courageous and compassionate enough to reach out to to Seminole Indians along the New River, along which Fort Lauderdale would eventually emerge. She begins as a young woman with small dreams, and winds up being called upon by no less than the president of the United States. In the meantime, she deals with society that suppresse ...more
We love
This was written very well and I found it to be a very engaging biography about one woman's impact on Florida's beginnings. I was saddened by some of Ivy's choices and how at time she seemed selfishly stubborn and so focused on her causes in disregard for others feelings. Many of her causes, especially with the Seminole people, were good on the surface, yet in some ways one has to wonder if some of her "help" wasn't meddling. Yet, through it all, she was part of what Florida grew into today and ...more
Jane
Nov 20, 2014 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked her description of the transformation of Florida as it was settled and the swamps drained, but I found her characters lacking. It's hard to know if this was because she was using journals to recreate this woman's likfe. it's true that she was remarkable and did important things, but no one found her likable in book group. It's hard to discuss a worthy person who no one really likes.
Aisha
Dec 06, 2015 Aisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. Not at ALL what I expected. Just finished and I am a twist of emotions inside. Don't spoil and read the end of the book - savor the story.
Emoore
Jan 18, 2014 Emoore rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was an interesting book about the establishment of Ft. Lauderdale. It was slow moving in parts and then seemed to gloss over others. It'd keep my attention and then I struggled to get it finished. Jane Kirpatrick did a great job describing the scenes of her book making you feel like you were there.
Linda
Apr 02, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jane-kirkpatrick
As usual,this Jane Kirkpatrick historical novel is peopled with realistic characters and documented situations. Her heroine, Ivy Cromartie Stranahan, is as strident and unyielding as any she has portrayed in her other novels; sometimes irritatingly demanding in her insistence on doing things her own way, but in the end proving to be a powerful force for good in the early life of Florida. I love Kirkpatrick's books and the strong women she chooses to write about, and the Indian cultures she bring ...more
Mary Mccoy
Sep 19, 2007 Mary Mccoy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really tried to finish this book so that I could legitimately tell you not to read it, but I came up 80 pages short of my goal. But I'm still going to tell you not to read it. It only has value to someone interested in Ft. Lauderdale history, and it is of minimal value to them. The writing style was warm and inviting, so I kept waiting for the story to warm up. BLAH! Reading this book almost made me want to have TV.
Suzanne
Apr 12, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it
4+ stars. THis was a fairly slow moving book, but somehow I fell for the characters. I loved the history of Ft. Lauderdale, FL and what life was like back in the early 1900's. There were an amazing amount of quotes etc that were helpful for me and were very interesting food for thought. I really appreciated the efforts and thoughts that people put into decisions so long ago that still affect us today.
Jolene
Jul 22, 2010 Jolene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a wonderful story of the Stranahan's of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. This book was full of history and taught me a lot about life in S. Florida at the turn of the century - things I had NO IDEA ABOUT. Jane Kirkpatrick is true to form! Her writing is warm, tender, and beautiful. She brought these real people to life again, and I LOVED IT!
Sue
Oct 12, 2009 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a novel based on the lives of Ivy and Frank Stranahan who lived in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida in the turn of the century (1900). Ivy worked for education and basic rights for the Seminole Indians who lived in the region. This was pretty interesting - although not a favorite book by any means.
Jamey
Jun 24, 2012 Jamey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young teacher, in the early years of Florida's development and after Seminoles have been squeezed out of most of their land, devotes her life to protecting/educating the Seminoles and wildlife of FL (i.e. the birds which were being killed for the beautiful plumes for ladies' hats).
Pat McCain
Jan 02, 2016 Pat McCain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tied together many of the people, places and historical events I've learned about as my sister and I explored various places when I visit her in Florida. Ms. Kirkpatrick does an exceptional job of delivering a message about a Christian's calling and responsibilities.
Catherine
Jan 19, 2011 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have found that reading Jane's novels about my state of Oregon is part of the fascination of her stories. This one was good, but I missed my visual of nearby locals.
Sandra
Sep 11, 2010 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While somewhat promising and an interesting setting, this book went nowhere. Seeming to lead up to something, various starts seemed to just fade away. Too dull to finish.
Connie
Apr 16, 2012 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is an interesting way to learn the history of the Fort Lauderdale area but the story drags a little toward the end.
Laura Holland
Didn't like it as well as some of Kirkpatrick's other books, but still a good read.
Michelle Haxton
Interesting story. It was sad that they never had children.
Belinda
Aug 06, 2011 Belinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
History of South Florida and early settlers.
Florence
Florence marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Juliet
Juliet marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Glenda
Glenda added it
Mar 20, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Paula
Paula added it
Feb 27, 2016
Jennifer Vettrus
Jennifer Vettrus rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Midwife's Legacy
  • Yukon Wedding (Alaskan Brides, #1)
  • A Log Cabin Christmas Collection
  • Light of My Heart (Silver Hills Trilogy #1)
  • Second Chance Family
  • Family of the Heart
  • Wyoming Lawman (The Women of Swan's Nest, #2)
  • Her Captain's Heart (Gabriel Sisters, #1)
  • The Prairie Romance Collection: 9 Historical Romances from America's Great Plains
  • A Pioneer Christmas Collection
  • Wanted: A Family
  • The Guardian's Promise
  • Legend of the Celtic Stone (Caledonia, #1)
  • Mistaken Bride (Irish Brides, #2)
Kirkpatrick brings us a story of one woman's restoration from personal grief to the meaning of community."
More about Jane Kirkpatrick...

Dream Catcher (4 books)
  • A Sweetness to the Soul (Dreamcatcher)
  • Love to Water My Soul (Dreamcatcher)
  • A Gathering of Finches (Dreamcatcher Series #3)