Start by marking “E Is for Ethics: How to Talk to Kids About Morals, Values, and What Matters Most” as Want to Read:

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Now in paperback, E Is for Ethics—an indispensable parenting tool to help instill a sense of morality and fair play in young children.

At one time, schools in America offered instructions on character development and ethics. Today that’s no longer the case, and many parents often feel at a loss over the seemingly daunting task of teaching their children
Published December 8th 2009 by Atria Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about E Is for Ethics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about E Is for Ethics

Abby
not what I expected and my child is too young for the stories now. I am wondering if these are any 'better' than what I remember - Aesop's fables and the Bible. I thought it was a book for parents on how to teach ethics. Instead, it is a book with little ethical stories followed by discussion questions. It has a nice cover, nice artwork and is high quality - but the content is lacking.
Joel
It's important to run through experiences before they happen with children as a sort of behavioral innoculation. This seems like a good guide.
Asha Carlos
If you like me, wonder how to instil good morals and values in your kids, then E is for Ethics is the right book for you. I personally enjoyed reading this book by Corlett who calls himself the POD (Plain Old Dad), he reminds each one of us how important it is to instil good values in children. Corlett shares his experience bringing up his two children as well as 26 short but easy to understand stories different values in a story form for parents to read to their children. At the end of each sto ...more
Kathie
May 29, 2011 Kathie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pre-K through mid-elementary age children
Recommended to Kathie by: Laura Bowman
Good, short lessons for kids. The questions at the end are great for highlighting the important parts of each lesson and helping kids see how the lessons relate to their own lives.

Some of the lessons could have a more universally relatable story. One example is Respect. The lesson ended up being about respecting other cultures, which is important, but may have been better as its own chapter. I would have liked to see more of an everyday situation.

I checked this out at the library and found it at
Jenny
I just started reading this to the boys at night before they go to bed. There are 26 stories that help you talk to your children about Honesty, Understanding, Forgiveness, Courage, Tact, Preserverance, Politeness, Loyalty, Gratitude, Truthfulnes, Fairness, Acceptance, Patience, Sincerity, Citizenship, Integrity, Kindness, Responsibility, Effort, Empathy, Charity, Helpfulness, Generosity, Willingess, and Respect. We should finish in 26 days, the author(not LDS) designed this book to be like FHE l ...more
Kathleen
A series of short (two pages) stories in which a brother and sister face ethical dilemmas. Should they tease the new kid? Fight over toys? Cheat in a game? Each story has discussion questions and a recap of the issue at hand (fairness, tolerance, etc). T & C LOVED this. We originally read it during family meetings, but they begged for it at bedtime too. Checked this one out of the library, but would definitely buy it.
Irene B.
Read about this book in the Washington Post and borrowed from library. Very useful for teachers. Buying two copies for use at school. Stories related to positive values with questions for children about what they would do in the situations that arose.
Lara
I really liked this book. It was perfect for the ages of my kids. This book had them all thinking creatively and asking great questions, two things I really value.
Pam
very good short stories to read to your children to generate discussion
uses all the words we use for head heart and hand and most of 8 keys too
Owen
This book would help kids to express their feelings and learn about honesty, understanding, and forgiveness.
Sally Haisman
Sally Haisman marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Andrea Lerikos-georgiou
Andrea Lerikos-georgiou marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Kiran
Kiran marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Josh Tegart
Josh Tegart marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Tiffany Angus
Tiffany Angus marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Sara Waheed
Sara Waheed marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Julie Dobson
Julie Dobson marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Sharon Maerten-Moore
Sharon Maerten-Moore marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
E Is for Environment: Stories to Help Children Care for Their World--at Home, at School, and at Play