Garfield Gains Weight

Garfield Gains Weight (Garfield #2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  3,284 ratings  ·  42 reviews
He sleeps late and wakes up grouchy. He hates joggers, beats up dogs, and shreds his owner. He's cynical, witty, urbane, and sometimes downright mean. But best of all, he's back, better than ever, to delight cat-lovers and cat-haters alike.
Published July 12th 1984 by Turtleback Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Garfield Gains Weight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garfield Gains Weight

Stephen
3.5 stars. Before Calvin and Hobbes and The Farside, Garfield was the gold standard for humorous comic strips. This is book two of the Garfied collection and the beginning of a where Garfield really hits his stride. Recommended!!
Jen
This was my favorite strip cartoon when I was a kid, and remains in the top 5, definitely. Davis just perfectly captures the wonderful insanity that is cats, and Jon is so lovely and pathetic. This collection is one of the early ones, with Jon first meeting Liz, Odie's character not terribly fleshed out, and the illustrations being slightly different than later version. Still the lovable sarcasm of the lasagna-eating fiend, though. Definitely good for a quick laugh.
Albertz
This book is awesome, although it is a comic, the author makes it funny, I love when Garfield get chubby and shoot tennis balls, what is also funny is he also gets obese and cannot walk. It is a hilarious comic book and I like the author or illastsratour
Erin
Sep 26, 2007 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dudes
Jim Davis is a fucking crazy genius. He draws Garfield with bold strokes and a bolder heart. Garfield can be a dick to Odie and Nermal, but can you blame him? Jon's kind of a puss.
Tara
I love all Garfeilds!

I only added this book because I couldn't find Garfield hits big time 25th book
Aaron Lee
It is kinda funny of what is happening between the time which garfield is gaining weight also having conversations with Jon or grief the mail man and eating nearly everything which Jon brought's back from the grocery store.
Keaton
The book Garfield Gains Weight, by Jim Davis was very funny, I enjoyed it.
April
The 8 YO laughs out loud at these....
Reeva
Love this comic book! Its funny, easy and plain old good entertainment!
HeavyReader
I loved Garfield when I was in middle school. I had several of these collections, and I read them all again and again.

I'm giving three stars based on the way I felt about the book when I read it the first time (or should I say the first 10 to 15 times?). Now I can't imagine reading any one of these books one time.

I can barely believe how many of these collections exist.
Galinda
I read all of Jim Davis's Garfield books back in 4th grade where every week I would take out another Garfield cartoon book and just read it. I thought that they were funny and hilarious, and I absolutely loved reading them. Garfield is just so sarcastic and funny, and I love that it was in cartoon form.
To this day Garfield is still one of my favorites.
Dolly
Jul 23, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Garfield comics
I got hooked on Garfield comics as a child. I read all of the books faithfully until the tenth one and then I tired of it and moved on to something else. Still, I remember fondly laughing my head off as I read about the antics of Jon Arbuckle and his crazy pets.
Bryan
I like this book because it say about the life of a lazy cat and how lazy this cat can get in trouble and how his owner be so blind with this cat, I also like the dog in this story, it was very entreteinent to see how the cat just ate and sleep all day.
Cameron
The good thing about Garfield is that I can always count on it for a good laugh. Jim Davis does a great job of making all of his Garfield books a worthwhile read, and this one is no exception.
Jeffry
You read one garfield book you've read them all. Jim Davis has been mining the same worked out claim for so many years he's just pulling up dirt now.
Robert
When I was in third grade this was the best. book. ever.

It still might be.

Garfield is a cat.

And he is fat.

Whoah . . . awesome.
Katsumi
This is probably the best Garfield collection assembled. Mr Davis is comfortable with his fat cat and the jokes are fresh.
Jessica
Davis has created a great series with Garfield (do I dare admit that I still pick up my son's copies?).
Christian Hadsell
It's Garfield man. He's awesome and a cartoon legend. Enough said. Loves my fat mouthy kittay!!
Cassandra
It brought back memories and was funny and cute. Definitely recommend.
Philip
I think the book was hilarious to who ever reads it jim davis is number 1 comedian
Scott2014
This series is very silly. Funny for the first fifteen books then it gets repeating
Dale Rosso
Lots of laughs.
Pingdi
The Garfield books are so hilarious. Be sure to read one! they're comics
Jaime Contreras
This was funnnier than the first book because of the jokes and drawings.
Benjamin Plume
interesting to see some of the earlier animations.
Juliana R.
I love Garfield. This is about one of 20 books I have.
Tommy
This is another comic strip book about a fat cat
Tania Silva
Garfield is always Garfield...what can I say?
  • Wiener Dog Art
  • Spider-Man: The Ultimate Guide
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II
  • FoxTrot Beyond a Doubt
  • Driving Under the Influence of Children: A Baby Blues Treasury
James Robert "Jim" Davis is an American cartoonist who created the popular comic strip Garfield. Other comics that he has worked on are Tumbleweeds, Gnorm Gnat, Slapstick, and a strip about Mr. Potato Head. He also has created a Garfield T.V. show that aired on CBS for six years.

Jim Davis was born in Fairmount, Indiana, near Marion, where he grew up on a small farm with his father James William Da...more
More about Jim Davis...
Garfield at Large: His First Book (Garfield #1) Garfield Weighs In (Garfield, #4) Garfield Bigger Than Life (Garfield #3) Garfield Takes the Cake (Garfield #5) Garfield Takes up Space (Garfield #20)