Start by marking “Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em” as Want to Read:

Phil Gordon plays poker with the best players in the world. He has won -- and lost -- in tournaments and cash games around the globe, all the while studying the game and learning from every hand dealt. As the resident expert and cohost of Celebrity Poker Showdown, Phil has quickly become one of the most sought-after teachers of No Limit Texas Hold'em. It's a tough game. Bu ...more
Published November 24th 2009 by Gallery Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phil Gordon's Little Green Book

David
Dec 28, 2015 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. Broken up into bite size chunks, it is easy to jump around to whatever section you want. Lots of good information and examples.
Clare Fitzgerald
Sometimes I get days where I have nothing to do but read, and I get to sit around and devour and entire 500+-page book in a matter of hours, make myself a cup of tea to clear my book hangover, and pick up the next one.

I hope I get another one of those days at some point this summer because my last one was in January.

Sometimes I get entire weeks and months of running around with ten million things to do, working my way through whatever poor book I've been lugging around in fits and starts, steali
Robert Beveridge
Phil Gordon, Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em (Simon Spotlight Entertainment, 2005)

Howard Lederer and Annie Duke are correct, in their introduction, when they say that this book was, at the time of its publication, unique. There have been poker how-to manuals probably as long as there have been people playing poker, but back in 2005, no one had written a more personal, “how I play”-style book. Now it's five years later, and Phil Gordon's series of
Frank
Jan 10, 2016 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a highly regarded poker book that comes up in just about any "Top Poker Books" list. It's an okay starting off point for a beginning player. Might be a little basic for someone who has read a few decent poker books before. I've seen that Phil Gordon has some more advanced follow up books. It might be worth checking them out soon.
James Jung
Jun 21, 2015 James Jung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read this book in small parts from time to time, I believe it is a good way of reading the book by just skimming thru the pages until you see a chapter with an interesting title:)
Any poker book is a good read!
Sammy
Sep 04, 2015 Sammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Well worth reading for any would-be poker players, although a lot of statistics to take in!
Shaun
Jun 07, 2015 Shaun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was good. Kind of a cliff's notes of several other books.
Brian Mikołajczyk
Hands down the best poker book available. A must read for any player.
Eric
Jan 10, 2017 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the smoothest reading poker tactics book I've read so far. Gordon covers varies situations and how he would play them. Not strictly a stats book which is a breath of fresh air for me.
Timmy
Jul 10, 2010 Timmy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poker
Super quick read. This is more like a detailed look into the decision making process of Phil Gordon than a theoretical/philosophical approach to poker like Sklansky or others. That makes it extremely accessible and practical, but it also makes it neither organized well enough to make a great starting point for beginners nor deep enough to provide a lot of new ideas to veteran players. Still, it wasn't bad at all.
Eddy
Nov 23, 2015 Eddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poker-gambling
Good quick read. I enjoyed the pace of the book and found the info very useful. Phil does a great job of sharing his in-depth knowledge and presents it extremely well without overcomplicating it. Great source for it's time, obviously the game has evolved since then, but there's no discounting the value of any of the info shared as it is all still applicable to the game today. The hardest part for me is probably classifying the style of play into a box.
Deborah
Dec 24, 2008 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a novice, I found this book very helpful. Now, when I watch tournaments on television, I can more easily follow the various strategies employed by familiar professionals.

Will Phil's tips improve my own game? It's hard to say. I guess I would need to play more than twice a year in order to give them a fair shake!
John Wallace
Aug 05, 2016 John Wallace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. Very helpful. But a bit mind-boggling.

Key thing that is missing is how to put your opponent on a hand. Starts a lot of scenarios with "say you put your opponent on a small pocket pair..." or "say you've put your opponent on AQ or AK..." He doesn't offer a lot of direct help with how to do this (admittedly, this is something that is not super teachable).
Shek
Mar 05, 2008 Shek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: calculators, poker computers
Here's the thing: reading about how to do better at something like playing poker is more boring than counting to a million; if you can get past about 600 or so without skipping a number or stopping, then congratulations, you're a calculator. And if by skimming this book and not finishing it I do worse at playing poker, then I'm okay with that.
CV Rick
Jun 03, 2009 CV Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poker
This small book is filled with some of the best, most understandable advice on No Limit Hold'em that I have read anywhere. It's essential and may stand as the best investment in the game I've made to date.
Susan B.
Nov 23, 2007 Susan B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of poker books out there (and I've read many of them ;^), but this one is my favorite, perhaps because my playing style is very much like Phil Gordon's. I also like that he doesn't take him self too seriously, a problem that is rampant among the poker set.
Jason
Oct 07, 2008 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not yet memorized, but no need to keep a poker face when playing on the computer... someone needs to write a book just about this version but this one lays out the basics and makes it fun to read, too.
Matt
Nov 10, 2011 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
highly recommended for anyone interested in the game. very approachable and easy to understand. encourages reader to think of game as a series of scenarios, requiring constant re-evaluation of strategy, rather than just following rubric
Jeremy
Jul 01, 2009 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poker
This should probably be the second poker book any serious player reads, or the first book if you've already got a good handle on the rudiments of solid play. Gordon does an excellent job of walking the fine line between math, instinct, and aggression.
John Bloomberg
I would rather call the rest of my chips with 8-7 suited than with A-J.
The rules of four and two. After the flop, calculate the odds of catching a card you need by multiplying your outs by four. After the turn, multiply your outs by two.
If you are the first to act, never limp, just raise.
Vito
May 31, 2011 Vito rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of my favorite poker great read! Phil Gordon! not just a great player also a very GD writer this book is well done can't say that about all great player's. I can for Phil! an of coursse sklansky malamuth an bruson! ther's a few more! enough said! ..
dawn
Jul 30, 2008 dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This is a great instructional book for the casual or beginning player. It focuses on ideas and strategies without spending too much time on the math of poker. This was the first hold'em book i read, and it definately improved my game.
Michael Garner
Aug 12, 2012 Michael Garner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up due to the fact I have to participate in the Texas hold em competition for this year's corporate challenge. I've never participated tournament before, only played for fun with friends. Gives me some ideas that I hope to incorpate .
Pam
Nov 20, 2010 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I made the switch from playing Limit Hold'em to No Limit Hold'em and this book has helped considerably. It's really like seeing inside the mind of a great poker player. Unfortunately, it also shows while I will never be great, but at least I have fun trying!
Joel Purvis
Excellent book to learn the basic concepts of No - Limit Hold'em. A lot of the specifics (raise sizes, 3 and 4 betting) are now outdated and a serious player will want to read a more current book, but this is an excellent jumping off point for the novice player.
Mike Hoffman
Jun 16, 2009 Mike Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good strategy book, good format, quick read, good reference. Phil is a good story teller and he is definately someone who is life experienced different than most poker authors.
Norman
Oct 17, 2009 Norman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stopped about halfway through this one, bored and tired of all the thinking about poker that it obviously and by necessity involves. Still, I do think it improved my game a bit.
Randy Lander
Jan 04, 2009 Randy Lander rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic, approachable, readable book on how to play poker that also has a ton of insight into the game.
Jerrod Stephan
Apr 05, 2007 Jerrod Stephan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like playing poker
Shelves: pokerbooks
Sure, sure I love SuperSystem, but Phil Gordon makes poker seem easy with this condensened easy to read book.
Yaocheng
I like how this book reveals how Phil Gordan would play certain situations. He goes into why he plays how he does, but also confesses that there are plenty of reasons to play differently.
  • Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No-Limit Tournaments, Volume I: Strategic Play
  • Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play
  • Doyle Brunson's Super System
  • The Psychology of Poker
  • Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume I
  • Sit 'N Go Strategy
  • Annie Duke: How I Raised, Folded, Bluffed, Flirted, Cursed, and Won Millions at the World Series of Poker
  • Pot-Limit Omaha Poker
  • The Full Tilt Poker Strategy Guide: Tournament Edition
  • One of a Kind: The Rise and Fall of Stuey, 'The Kid', Ungar, The World's Greatest Poker Player