3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Phil Gordon plays poker with the best players in the world. He has won -- and lost -- in tournaments and cash games around the globe, all the while studying the game and learning from every hand dealt. As the resident expert and cohost of Celebrity Poker Showdown, Phil has quickly become one of the most sought-after teachers of No Limit Texas Hold'em. It's a tough game. Bu...more
Published November 24th 2009 by Gallery Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phil Gordon's Little Green Book

Robert Beveridge
Phil Gordon, Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em (Simon Spotlight Entertainment, 2005)

Howard Lederer and Annie Duke are correct, in their introduction, when they say that this book was, at the time of its publication, unique. There have been poker how-to manuals probably as long as there have been people playing poker, but back in 2005, no one had written a more personal, “how I play”-style book. Now it's five years later, and Phil Gordon's series of...more
Timmy
Super quick read. This is more like a detailed look into the decision making process of Phil Gordon than a theoretical/philosophical approach to poker like Sklansky or others. That makes it extremely accessible and practical, but it also makes it neither organized well enough to make a great starting point for beginners nor deep enough to provide a lot of new ideas to veteran players. Still, it wasn't bad at all.
Shek
Mar 05, 2008 Shek rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: calculators, poker computers
Here's the thing: reading about how to do better at something like playing poker is more boring than counting to a million; if you can get past about 600 or so without skipping a number or stopping, then congratulations, you're a calculator. And if by skimming this book and not finishing it I do worse at playing poker, then I'm okay with that.
Deborah
As a novice, I found this book very helpful. Now, when I watch tournaments on television, I can more easily follow the various strategies employed by familiar professionals.

Will Phil's tips improve my own game? It's hard to say. I guess I would need to play more than twice a year in order to give them a fair shake!
Susan B.
There are a lot of poker books out there (and I've read many of them ;^), but this one is my favorite, perhaps because my playing style is very much like Phil Gordon's. I also like that he doesn't take him self too seriously, a problem that is rampant among the poker set.
Pam
I made the switch from playing Limit Hold'em to No Limit Hold'em and this book has helped considerably. It's really like seeing inside the mind of a great poker player. Unfortunately, it also shows while I will never be great, but at least I have fun trying!
Joel Purvis
Excellent book to learn the basic concepts of No - Limit Hold'em. A lot of the specifics (raise sizes, 3 and 4 betting) are now outdated and a serious player will want to read a more current book, but this is an excellent jumping off point for the novice player.
Vito
one of my favorite poker great read! Phil Gordon! not just a great player also a very GD writer this book is well done can't say that about all great player's. I can for Phil! an of coursse sklansky malamuth an bruson! ther's a few more! enough said! ..
Jeremy
This should probably be the second poker book any serious player reads, or the first book if you've already got a good handle on the rudiments of solid play. Gordon does an excellent job of walking the fine line between math, instinct, and aggression.
Michael Garner
Picked this up due to the fact I have to participate in the Texas hold em competition for this year's corporate challenge. I've never participated tournament before, only played for fun with friends. Gives me some ideas that I hope to incorpate .
Matt
highly recommended for anyone interested in the game. very approachable and easy to understand. encourages reader to think of game as a series of scenarios, requiring constant re-evaluation of strategy, rather than just following rubric
dawn
This is a great instructional book for the casual or beginning player. It focuses on ideas and strategies without spending too much time on the math of poker. This was the first hold'em book i read, and it definately improved my game.
CV Rick
This small book is filled with some of the best, most understandable advice on No Limit Hold'em that I have read anywhere. It's essential and may stand as the best investment in the game I've made to date.
Yaocheng
I like how this book reveals how Phil Gordan would play certain situations. He goes into why he plays how he does, but also confesses that there are plenty of reasons to play differently.
Mike Hoffman
Good strategy book, good format, quick read, good reference. Phil is a good story teller and he is definately someone who is life experienced different than most poker authors.
Norman
I stopped about halfway through this one, bored and tired of all the thinking about poker that it obviously and by necessity involves. Still, I do think it improved my game a bit.
Darrel Owen
Loved this book and the Little Blue Book as well. I like how he walks you through multiple scenarios and gives you his mindset as he decides on a course of action.
Jerrod Stephan
Apr 05, 2007 Jerrod Stephan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like playing poker
Shelves: pokerbooks
Sure, sure I love SuperSystem, but Phil Gordon makes poker seem easy with this condensened easy to read book.
Randy Lander
A fantastic, approachable, readable book on how to play poker that also has a ton of insight into the game.
Benjamin Siess
Great for beginning players. Could help intermediate players a little but not much.
Adam
A great book to learn the beginning strategies of No Limit Texas Hold 'Em.
Raphael Clayette
Nice tips in an everyday style. But not very hard or precise.
Rob
great read for anyone wanting to one up the oposition
Tim
Reviewed for Card Player (and I interviewed him as well).
Rachel
Feb 03, 2008 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poker peeps
Good info for those learning to refine their "skills".
Yonz
Great book! Taught me a lot.
Brenda
More of a beginner book
Jason
Not yet memorized, but no need to keep a poker face when playing on the computer... someone needs to write a book just about this version but this one lays out the basics and makes it fun to read, too.
  • Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No-Limit Tournaments; Volume II: The Endgame
  • Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play
  • Every Hand Revealed
  • The Theory of Poker
  • Ace on the River: An Advanced Poker Guide
  • Caro's Book of Poker Tells
  • Doyle Brunson's Super System
  • The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time
  • One of a Kind: The Rise and Fall of Stuey ',The Kid', Ungar, The World's Greatest Poker Player
  • The Biggest Game in Town
  • Positively Fifth Street: Murderers, Cheetahs, and Binion's World Series of Poker
  • For Richer, For Poorer: A Love Affair with Poker
  • Oriental Adventures: The Rulebook for AD&D Game Adventures in the Mystical World of the Orient (Official Advanced Dungeons & Dragons)
  • The Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made
  • Hot Commodities : How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market
  • 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die
  • Lucky Wander Boy
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
Phil Gordon's Little Blue Book: More Lessons and Hand Analysis in No Limit Texas Hold'em Poker: The Real Deal Phil Gordon's Poker Box Set: Phil Gordon's Little Black Book, Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, Phil Gordon's Little Blue Book Phil Gordon's Little Black Book: Beginning Poker Lessons and the No Limit Lifestyle Phil Gordon's Little Gold Book: Advanced Lessons for Mastering Poker 2.0