Start by marking “Miscarriage, Medicine & Miracles” as Want to Read:
Miscarriage, Medicine & Miracles

Miscarriage, Medicine & Miracles

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From one of the foremost doctors in the field and a woman who has experienced miscarriage herself comes a comprehensive, encouraging, and accessible guide on both the causes and, more important, the prevention of miscarriage.

Though one in four American women will lose her pregnancy, this heartbreaking experience remains a taboo subject, fraught with myths and misinformat...more
Published April 29th 2008 by Bantam (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Miscarriage, Medicine & Miracles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miscarriage, Medicine & Miracles

Shana
Compared to books on pregnancy, there’s certainly a lot less information available on the sensitive issue of miscarriage, or spontaneous abortion. I appreciate the fact that the authors took the time to demystify miscarriage a bit and explain some of the myths around what can cause miscarriage and what can not.

Each chapter presents a woman and her particular story with miscarriage. Then Dr. Young goes on to solve the issue, and out comes a healthy baby. While the format was easy to understand an...more
Erin Dodge
This book changed how I think about fertility issues. While most women conceive, carry and birth with no interventions needed, when there is a problem, that doesn't mean that you're doomed to childlessness or to suffer the repeated grief and trauma of miscarriage. Something CAN be done in so many cases!

I also very much appreciate that Dr. Young is not cold and clinical about his observations or treatments. He is sensitive to the humanity and sensitivity of his work.

What a great resource for ev...more
Kimberly
I think a better title for this book would have been "An Idiot's Guide to Miscarriage." It's possible I didn't like this book as well as some of the others I've read because I already learned most of what it had to say in those other books, not that it wasn't informative. But I felt like the way it was written was so simplified that you could be a moron and know absolutely nothing about pregnancy or the female body and it would explain everything you need to know.

What I did glean from this book...more
Emily
Boy, this guy is optimistic! Written by both a maternal-fetal specialist and one of his patients who suffered recurrent miscarriage, this book provides a good overview of the major causes of miscarriage and how each one can ostensibly be treated. The case studies are really fascinating, and it's a quick read. If you're feeling hopeless after a miscarriage, this is a good book to pick up, because Dr. Young really seems to think a good pre-pregnancy workup can prevent the majority of subsequent mi...more
Cathy
Having had 3 m/c, I'm excited and curious to see what this book has to say!

Update: This book is TERRIFIC! It is packed with information that I have thoroughly enjoyed. It has provided me with much food for thought and given me some insight and direction for my own journey.
Sara
Very informative and uplifting. This book discusses many frequent causes of miscarriage with each chapter being a "story" of a patient that the doctor worked with. It was a nice combination of medical information and personal interest.
Catherine
Wow! I had no idea they could do so much to help women with fertility issues these days.
Ramona Drozek
Excellent information about blood work and the reasons for miscarriage!
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Mariahjeckahvillanueva
Mariahjeckahvillanueva marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Summer
Summer is currently reading it
Dec 08, 2013
Angelina Gazizova
Angelina Gazizova marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Romar Neri
Romar Neri marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2013
Princemody12yahoo.com
Princemody12yahoo.com marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
Sarab
Sarab marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2012
Michael Connolly
Michael Connolly marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2012
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2012
Maddie
Maddie marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2012
The Architecture of the Cocktail: Constructing the Perfect Cocktail from the Bottom Up The Complete Idiot's Guide to Bartending The Architecture of the Cocktail: Constructing The Perfect Cocktail From The Bottom Up A Hedonist's Guide to Eat New York The Pocket Idiot's Guide to Being the Mother of the Bride