Start by marking “Railway to the Grave” as Want to Read:
Railway to the Grave

Railway to the Grave (The Railway Detective #7)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Published October 15th 2010 by Allison & Busby (first published June 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Railway to the Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Railway to the Grave

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie4.50 from Paddington - Kereta 4.50 Dari Paddington by Agatha Christie
Trains on the Cover
64th out of 76 books — 30 voters
The Alienist by Caleb CarrThe Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingMistress of the Art of Death by Ariana FranklinLast Act in Palmyra by Lindsey Davis
Best historical-fiction mysteries
141st out of 179 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Gerry
Edward Marston's splendid Railway Detective series has one good starting point in that the reader is immediately drawn into the drama and that is very much the case in this, Detective Robert Colbeck's seventh recorded case.

The action takes place in Yorkshire where Colonel Aubrey Tarleton and his wife live with two step-children, on the wife's side, living away. The Colonel's wife disappears and before too long the Colonel himself writes himself into the title of the novel.

Suspicion is placed on
Bradley
Don't know how I missed this one when it was published, but was pleased to discover it when I finally did. Purchased with a greatly appreciated gift card, this book was doubly enjoyed for its addition to my library by thoughtful friends.

This jump back in time was a welcome relief after a period of reading modern, grittier stories. Although I know that books like Marston's over-romanticize the Victorian era, I do enjoy the respite they bring to a harried mind. It may be looking at the time throug
Peter Auber
Stephanie
This is the seventh in the Railway Detective series of mysteries but it didn't seem to matter that I haven't read any of the others. Back stories are minimal and simple so easy to catch up on. The whole book is an easy, holiday-type read, firmly entrenched in the attitudes of its period and without excess soul-searching getting in the way of its story. I liked the characters of South Otterington, many are caricatures rather than rounded people but they are all distinct. By contrast, the three De ...more
Rog Harrison
I had read one of the author's books in another series and had not enjoyed it much. This series is set in the 1850s and involves two detectives from Scotland Yard. In this book they start off investigating a suicide in a small town in Yorkshire and then uncover a murder. I find the author's writing style to be plodding and the characters did not come to life for me. To be fair the plot in this book was clever if perhaps a bit unlikely and I certainly did not suspect who was the murderer. The aut ...more
Lynne
Enjoyable tosh - Victorian pulp fiction packed with stereotypical, two-dimensional characters but nevertheless, a rollicking deckchair read, worth the £1 spent in The Works!!
Terri Lynn
Another satisfying read in Edward Marston's excellent series about Scotland Yard's Detective Inspector Richard Colbeck set in 1950's England (with forays into Wales and France at times).

This book was special because Richard's boss Detective Superintendent Tallis who normally is a gruff, anti-marriage, ill-tempered crank who especially drives Colbeck's assistant Detective Sergeant Victor Leeming up the wall, is shown to have a very human heart and a soft core.

One of Tallis' old military buddies
David
This is the seventh book in a series featuring Inspector Robert Colbeck, dubbed 'the Railway detective' because he is frequently called upon to solve mysteries connected with Britain's rapidly growing railway network in the mid-nineteenth century. I've enjoyed the series so far, and this installment was no exception.

Colbeck is a dandyish gent, whereas his sidekick Sergeant Leeming is more straight-forward and down to earth, thus they make a pairing with some similarities to Morse and Lewis, alth
Lynn Lerch
Inspector Colbect investigates the death of Superintent Tallis' army friend, Captain Randall who walks infront of a train and is killed. Capt Randall's wife has disappeared before his death. What happened to Mrs Randall and why does he walk on the tracks toward the train? A great adventure.
Pat
Tragedy strikes close to the Detective Department when an old army friend of Superintendent Tallis walks to meet a speeding train head on.The suicide, prompted by the disappearance of the man s wife, has shocked the local community and leaves plenty for Inspector Robert Colbeck, the Railway Detective, to uncover. Whispers and rumors abound but did the dead man, Captain Randall, really take his own life in repentance for some harm he did his wife?

I am really enjoying these Railway Detective books
Clivemichael Justice
Chatty narrative, in period, an entertaining whodunnit, lots of atmosphere.
Carole Moran
Edward Marston is very readable. An excellent British author. This particular book is one of a series about a Scotland Yard detective in London during the 1850's. It contains segments that don't really add to the main story line, but which no doubt lend continuity for the benefit of persons who have read previous books in the series. The story moves rapidly, the plot is engaging, and Marston keeps one guessing right up to the end. I will probably try other books in this series.
Mary Scott
Another good read which gives more insight in to the personal lives of the main characters. In many ways the best book in the series so far, with a twist in the tale which was unexpected. Looking forward to reading the eighth book in the series "Blood on the Line".
Librarylady90
This mystery was entertaining as far as it went. I'm not sure I would seek out others in the series, but I am a sucker for historical mysteries. I like the other series by this author, based on an Elizabethan era drama troupe, much more.
Ian B
My first fiction read, driven by a keen interest in the victorian railway era. I loved it. Finished it in a day. Now going to read the series. Captivating and engaging and great escapism. Easy reading but highly entertaining.
Jenna
I've enjoyed the Railway Detective series, but this probably wasn't my favourite in the series, though I would certainly read the next one to see where the characters go/develop.
Barry Nabbs
still sticking with it. series getting a bit formulaic but I did enjoy the twist at the end. hoping as seried progresses the marriage between colbeck and madeline doesn't happen.
Russell Collins
Inspector Colbeck, the railway detective is back. I love this series--trains in the 1850s, quaint English village (this time), baffling murder. What's not to like.
Brent Larson
Another winner in the Railway Detective series. The red herrings are all around in a good read that reaches a satisfying conclusion.
Janet

I actually enjoyed this one more than the previous books in the series. I was surprised by the ending.
Grace
It was okay. I didn't like the resolution. And sometimes his writing is a bit simplistic.
Elise
Good mystery. Now I need to find if my library carries the rest in the series.
Jack Barraclough
Jul 25, 2011 Jack Barraclough marked it as to-read
They tried to give me this book by mistake at the library.
Shan Williams
love the series
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Carolynn R
Carolynn R marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Vilde
Vilde marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Death in St James's Park (Thomas Chaloner, #8)
  • Rebellion (Matthew Hawkwood, #4)
  • Death with Reservations (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #10)
  • Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2)
  • Slow Dancing on Price's Pier: A Novel
  • The Rough Collier (Gilbert Cunningham, #5)
  • A Play of Treachery (Joliffe the Player, #5)
  • Except the Dying (Detective Murdoch, #1)
  • The Black Hand (Barker & Llewelyn, #5)
  • Shadow of the Serpent (Inspector McLevy, #1)

A pseudonym used by Keith Miles
AKA A.E. Marston

Keith Miles (born 1940) is an English author, who writes under his own name and also historical fiction and mystery novels under the pseudonym Edward Marston. He is known for his mysteries set in the world of Elizabethan theate
More about Edward Marston...

The Railway Detective (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Railway Detective
  • The Excursion Train (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #2)
  • The Railway Viaduct
  • The Iron Horse
  • Murder on the Brighton Express (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #5)
  • The Silver Locomotive Mystery (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #6)
  • Blood on the Line
  • The Stationmaster's Farewell
  • Peril on the Royal Train
  • A Ticket to Oblivion
The Railway Detective The Wolves of Savernake (Domesday, #1) The Excursion Train (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #2) The Railway Viaduct The Queen's Head