The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  2,561 ratings  ·  195 reviews
2nd Edition - 15,000 words of added scenes.

When David Carmichael suffers a migraine and a broken shoulder, Trace Jackson, his best friend, simply moves in to take care of him. Their easy camaraderie is threatened when David discovers an undercurrent of heat and tension flowing between them. Despite knowing his best friend is straight, David is not-so-slowly falling in love...more
ebook, 2nd Edition, 220 pages
Published December 10th 2009 by Dreamspinner Press (first published February 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The One That Got Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One That Got Away

Vio
"Happy sigh" no angst, secrets or big misunderstandings to ruin this lovely budding friends to lovers romance its a slow burn rather than an out of control fire. The sexual simmering attraction throughout the book is wonderful Trace and David's playfulness is adorable and Mabel is the only drama queen with her efforts to ruin the poker games and shredding Trace's clothes in disgust she was fun. Another great feel good story and highly recommended.
Brenda (b)
A terrific story in the gay for you theme. I loved watching David and Trace's relationship move from friendship to lovers. There were no big conflicts, no huge misunderstandings - just 2 men growing closer and exploring the feelings that slowly changed as that happens. I thought it was great that David wanted Trace but he never put any pressure on him to do anything, and that he actually held back because he didn't think Trace was ready yet - very refreshing.
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***
***2.75 stars***

Though the blurb is pretty accurate on what this book is about, the execution of the story was just kinda awkward.

Trace and David are suppose to be best friends, yet it felt like they didn't really know each other. David was openly gay, yet Trace didn't know that he was? They didn't know each other's friends, or very much about each other's lives beyond the basics.

Trace was "straight" but didn't question sleeping in the same bed as David, or waking up in the man's arms....and enj...more
Natsroshan
Really beautiful characters!! Their feelings are so well described.
Like them i was eager, and like them i wanted to savor each moment!!!
Experiment BL626
CAUTION: Long Review, Spoilers

This review rated the 2nd Edition which has an additional "15,000 or so words" compared to the 1st Edition. Plus the 2nd Edition has a better looking cover, imo, by the artist Paul Richmond.
The One That Got Away is a Gay-For-You story. Readers who dislike the GFY theme should avoid this book. Readers who are selective about their GFY story should know this story lack "omfg, am I gay?" identity-crisis drama...and, to an extend, drama overall. Here's a perfect exampl...more
Sayuri_x
It was a great love story with some really touching moments and I would have given this a 4 except for the rapidly changing POV all the way through the book. This doesn't normally bother me, but 5 or 6 changes within a scene and I had to keep going back cause I lost my train of thought and didn't know who was saying or thinking what. I really confusd me a spoiled my enjoyment.
Isabel
I love this kind of books where friends become lovers! It's beautiful to witness the evolution of their relationship.

In this book, they flirt and seduce almost innocently, and when they realize, their love is much more than friendship!
karlakolumna
Sickly sweet romance, so sweet it literally made me feel sick. Well, I admit that I'm not that much of a sucker for pure romances, but that's not the reason I dislike this book so much.

There were so many flaws and discrepancies in that book, it was impossible for me to like it at any point.

God, I wish I could post my amazon review here, but it's in German and I don't feel up to translate the whole thing right now.

I'll give you a few examples in order to underline what I did say earlier:

(view spo...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

I really loved this one. It was such a sweet, slow romance and you got to know the characters and their intentions before the romance started to happen. It also helped that the MCs were best friends before they became intimate. Not to mention one of them is actually straight. That is why I loved this because it wasn't a 'jump right in even though I'm straight' type of story but a 'let's take it easy so I can wrap my head around what's happening' type of one. It was just great.

There were...more
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
4.5 Stars!

Slow Burn-Friends to Lovers....LOVED IT!!

It is what it is...Friends stepping over that line they never imagined they'd cross. I liked the fact that they didn't jump all in right away tho. They both felt out everything but when they connected (even just the kisses and roaming hands) the chemistry was amazing!

If you're looking for a quick, sweet/tender moments but supa hot chemistry...check out this book!
R.B.
This was very good friends-to-lovers kind of story with slow and convincing change in MC's relationship.
Lily
Jan 21, 2010 Lily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All M/M romance lovers
Recommended to Lily by: Thank You, Secret Santa Xmas 2009
David Carmichael and Trace Jackson have been best friends for years despite working for rival newspapers. When David needs help recovering first from a severe migraine and then from a broken shoulder Trace doesn't think twice about helping his friend out, even if it means moving in with him for a while.

As they spend days and then weeks together their friendship deepens and then begins to change. From best buds used to hanging out together they find much deeper feelings growing between them.

This...more
Arthur
This one I read a while ago, but somehow I only gave ratings without any review. The blurb has said everything to be said about the plot.

I liked reading this book because:
- it's my favorite plot: friends to lovers
- The chemistry between the MCs
- the MCs are not young anymore for the m/m romance standard. As a result, when they want a relationship, it's believable that they'd last quite long.
- GFY, yes, but the development is quite slowly. Only when David got sick that he and Trace started to ope...more
Ami
This is the second-edition, with additional words. I don't know if it's "better" since I never read the first edition. HOWEVER, maybe I should. Because I definitely think that the story is stretched out a bit too much. Maybe the first edition is better because it will be succinct.

I like the progress from "straight-to-gay" that Trace experiences though. I mean, a number of GFY stories that I read sometimes jump a bit too fast on that matter. But David and Trace's relationship getting closer after...more
LenaLena
The title of this book suggests a story line and a level of conflict that is just not there. Hell, there is barely a story line at all. No conflict. No plot. The title doesn't even make sense until the last line of the book and it's more like 'srsly'? The first half of the book is UST, the second is just sex. Someone should have told the responsible author to use a different word the other 32 times she used 'brunet' to describe one of the MCs. There's head hop hop hop hopping......

And you know...more
Stacey Jo
This is a nice gay-for-you story and one where the best friends fall in love if you like that scenerio. No angst if you like that in your story. Unlike many GFY stories, the straight guy is pretty accepting of his choice. There are no other characters who oppose his choice so no adversity in to book. But I thought the story was well written and I liked both the main and supporting characters. It was a light fluffy read.
FloJ
This is the sort of book that makes you hope your next life is as a gay bloke. A feel good book with a good build up to an electric relationship. A love story with humour, no angst. Probably more of a 3.5 really as is quite a simple story, but definitely not a 3. If it wasn't an E book, it would be good for reading in the bath!
Lilli *slowest reader ever*
Read this when it was available as a free read on the author's homepage. Loved it. Very sweet and convincing friends-to-lovers GFY story.
Kassa
David and Trace have been best friends for years, yet for all their conversations they’ve never talked about sex or their lovers. Instead, they have an easy and close friendship revolving around shared interests and activities. That doesn’t stop David from hearing about Trace’s reputation as a ladies’ man though, which is why David has never been interested in Trace as anything more than a friend. When David ends up bedridden with a migraine he calls Trace for help and like any best friend, Trac...more
Macky ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
There's definitely something about this book and I think more than anything its the interaction between David and Trace. Even before the romance starts and its just the two of them as friends you can feel the chemistry and then that turns to attraction and finally a quite passionate love. It's sort of a slow burner but that's what makes it engaging. The love scenes are hot and sensual but it was watching these guys discovering their attraction to each other that was the best part. As a straight...more
Janna
This was one of the best M/M reads of 2009 for me! I can really recommend it. For a change it’s a book with no angst in it. The characters are well developed and the smexing is long anticipated but scorching hot when they finally get to it. The story is about two friends, one gay one straight. One of them breaks his shoulder and needs some help during his recovery. So his straight friend moves in with him. Because of the injury, the heroes share some very intimate moments and something starts to...more
Ryoma Gartre
I Really REALLY love this book, here we don't have any complicated stuff, not tortured past, not secrets, just two friends who care for each other & end up falling in love, slowly & deliciously are both are confident, strong & manly men, they change their relationship little by little, I loved that they weren't drama queens when it came to the struggle, they actually TALKED, and committed, it is a very sweet story that will put a big smile in your lips when you finish it, I loved it,...more
Chris
Apr 29, 2011 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: orannia
Shelves: romance, gay, ebook, 2010, done, 2009, reread
Excellent m/m romance – I’d read the original version, but who could resist the new version with added scenes? (Although, sad to say, the second edition still has inconsistencies about David’s age – he fusses about how awful his 45th birthday was, but then is referred to as 42 for the rest of the book.) One of the differences I noticed was that Trace’s cat was now named Mabel instead of Gail and and she had an entire enjoyable subplot devoted to her. (Plus she’s a black kitty. Really, what’s not...more
Marissa
Absolutely adorable slow-burn, friends to lovers romance!
Anna D.
It was very nice, but too uneventful for my taste.

Review:
This book wasn’t bad, it was just so uneventful. It seems like if the story is centered mainly on the couple (which this one was since these two were sort of on house arrest due to David’s injury), then the interactions between the couple need to hold my attention with something other than the sexual things. My emotional response to this couple was barely a blip..I found them to be likable, but that was it. It just needed something more to...more
Sqyd
This book is so bad that I chucked it into the recycling bin. As if the whole "I'm not gay, just gay for you" premise wasn't vapid enough, its realization is utterly unconvincing. The characters are flat, and the plot is nonexistent. There is lots of drawn out unreleased sexual tension, foreplay, etc, but it's so hackneyed that it was boring me to tears.
Angelica
3.5

This was a lovely slow-buiding romantic relationship between friends without any outside conflicts to dampen its progress.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, and found the chemistry between the MC's pretty good. I would recommend it to readers looking for a nice, uncomplicated hot story.
Stephanie
This was an incredible story! I enjoyed it immensely.
Jodi
Sweet, cute, slow burn. It was entertaining, but got a little draggy and repetitive in the middle. There was a lot of making out too, to where I was like "Come on, already!!" LOL But it totally fit the situation and worked in the book's favor. (I'm just an impatient book slut.)

One thing that bugged me is the title doesn't fit this book at all. You'd think that it was a second chance book or there was a fight and reconciliation. But no, this book is about two best friends (one gay, one straight)...more
Saritza
Another reviewer said it best when they said this is a great first book to introduce the m/m genre to a newbie. I couldn't agree more.

Summary: When David Carmichael suffers a migraine and a broken shoulder, Trace Jackson, his best friend, simply moves in to take care of him. Their easy camaraderie is threatened when David discovers an undercurrent of heat and tension flowing between them. Despite knowing his best friend is straight, David is not-so-slowly falling in love.

Trace has never desire
  • Just For You
  • Out of My Mind
  • And Call Me in the Morning
  • Things I'll Never Say
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O’Shaughnessys #2)
  • Caught Running
  • The Assignment (Assignment, #1)
  • Take My Picture
  • Drawn Together
  • The Rebuilding Year
  • The Charlie Factor (Beach Duo, #1)
  • I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier
  • A Helping Hand (Tennessee Cops, #2)
  • One of Those Days
  • The Broken Road
  • The Trap
  • Private Dicks (Private Dicks, #1)
Rhianne Aile has an unhealthy relationship with her computer, iced tea, and chocolate. Growing up, she split her time between Oklahoma and Chicago, making her equally fond of horses, skyscrapers, cowboys, and men in well-tailored suits. Facilitating retreats for women and authors keeps her traveling enough to stay happy.
More about Rhianne Aile...
Cursed (Cursed #1) Betrayed (Cursed #2) To Love a Cowboy Snowed In Dark Chocolate