Start by marking “The Lord of the Rings: The Making of the Movie Trilogy ” as Want to Read:
The Lord of the Rings: The Making of the Movie Trilogy

The Lord of the Rings: The Making of the Movie Trilogy

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  6,156 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The official inside story on the making of the award-winning movie trilogy

The Lord of the Rings: The Making of the Movie Trilogy is a lavishly illustrated, behind-the-scenes, definitive account of the creation of an epic film experience. Hailed by critics worldwide, part one of the movie trilogy was a box-office smash, one of the most successful films of the decade. Peter
Published November 6th 2002 by Mariner Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Lord of the Rings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lord of the Rings

The Art of Tangled by Jeff KurttiThe Art of How to Train Your Dragon by Tracey Miller-ZarnekeThe Art of Brave by Jenny LerewThe Art of Rise of the Guardians by Ramin ZahedThe Art of the Lion King by Christopher Finch
The Art of the Film, Part 1
49th out of 147 books — 66 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienThe Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
Middle Earth
32nd out of 130 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Kris
Insightful and informative, but nothing to write home about.

Most of the pictures and stories in here can be found in the documentaries on the extended editions of the movies, so I felt I might as well just watch those. And frankly the writing was rather choppy and half-hazard. He switches between subjects without ever really finishing his exploration of one idea. For instance, Sibley starts off talking about digital effects, and you feel like he's going to get into the details... when suddenly h
Alex Telander
The Lord of the Rings: The Making of the Movie Trilogy is like a wonderfully large colorful journal of what it was like working on the set of this magnificent trilogy for those many, many months. With a foreword by Ian McKellen, a.k.a. Gandalf, author Brian Sibley does an excellent job of keeping the reader locked in with the many different happenings that took place during the shooting of the trilogy. With some wonderful color photos of cast and sets, as well as illustrations and drawings, ther ...more
Becky Kralle
I fell in love with the Lord of the Rings movies at the ripe old age of 11. It wasn't typical for a middle schooler to sing elvish on the bus to school, but lo and behold that never stopped me. This book was a Bible to me. I read it over and over again until the spine gave way and then I bought myself another copy that I was slightly more careful with. The artistry, skill, and talent that went into making these movies was unprecedented and this book gives wonderful incite into each facet of it. ...more
Rebecca
This is a brilliant companion guide to have if you are a fan of Lord ofthe Rings as it includes some inside secrets and describes how they did some of the effects and their first premiere. This book does have a lot of reading in it and if you are looking for a guide that is like Harry Potter Film Wizardry then this book isn't for you. The book is more for adults but it can be enjoyed by any Lord of the Rings fan.
Alexa
The Lord of the Rings: The Making of the Movie Trilogy by Brian Sibley (2002)
Sandra
A book which provides a lot of background information for the making of the Lord Of The Rings, mostly the work done by the WETA workshop. It's wonderful to read about all this background work, it just drives home what a big undertaking the making of these movies actually was.. especially if you consider that so many of the people involved didn't have an awful lot of experience! The love and the passion for the project can be lifted from the pages and it makes a wonderful and interesting read.

Ho
Mohamed
Jul 21, 2014 Mohamed is currently reading it
no doubt it is a magnificent book to read specially for those who are interesting in fantasy books and movies .... i don't have a library near to where i'm living now so i want a soft copy...if any...
Sarah Hayes
A brilliant and detailed biography of the LOTR films themselves; following the author through the various sets and workshops behind the scenes becomes a wholly immersive trip into the making of Middle-Earth itself. Perfect read for fans who like reading about the ins and outs of creating a truly iconic series of films. Also, I now have a newfound appreciation for Viggo Mortensen as a professional actor.
Sara Forsberg
Lovely little "biography" of the Lord of the Rings films, although a little top-heavy (the second and third films hadn't yet been released at the book's completion). It's full of lovely photographs and funny and interesting interviews with the cast and crew (mainly the crew). Chock-full of fun information for movie buffs and/or LOTR fans.
Crazy Uncle Ryan
I got this book as a Christmas gift from a psycho ex-girlfriend. Anyway, this was a really well done book that gives a good behind the scenes look at the making of the Lord of The Rings movies.
Alyssia
I feel like this would have benefited from more concept art, but that could be because I obsess over concept art. Overall, it's really informative and interesting, but not perfect. Personally, I feel like the books on the making of Harry Potter were far better.
Jess
Lots of behind-the-scenes information on the making of the movies. However, a lot of it focused on the work at Weta, which has been covered by many of the other movie tie-in books. It would have been interesting to read more about the filming process.
The Artist Librarian (Jen)
Read this awhile ago, so I don't remember too much about it ... which is why I can't give it the 4 stars ("I really liked it") rating. It's a good book to borrow from the library if you like "Lord of the Rings."
Kaitlin
Fun and containing entirely new stories! I was afraid it would be a repeat of the film appendices, which I've watched dozens of times but it was really fresh and interesting.
I love Lord of the Rings, books and films alike. This book was full of stunning photos of the making and letting you into the insight of the making of these films.
Tamra
Fascinating behind-the-scenes look at the making of the incredible movies. The only thing lacking was more pictures!
Damián
Oct 31, 2012 Damián marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arte
Un gran hallazgo en el mercado de las pulgas de Bogotá por solo 23 pesos uruguayos.
Rick
Nice mix of text and images, worth reading if you are a huge fan.
Liza Gilbert
Nice photos, great intro to the movies, but uber fans will want more.
Charity U
Good book! Full review coming soon on my blog. :)
Lauren Huibregtse
Beautiful book, with gorgeous pictures
Lorraine
grat to see how things were made
Kristin
Read from 1/12 to 1/13.
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Chelsea Chandler
Chelsea Chandler marked it as to-read
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Adam Wold
Adam Wold marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
  • Gollum: How We Made Movie Magic
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Art of The Two Towers
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Visual Companion
  • There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale
  • The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All
  • The Lord of the Rings Location Guidebook
  • The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare
  • The Rough Guide to the Lord of the Rings: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Middle-Earth
  • Serenity: The Official Visual Companion
  • The Magical Worlds of Lord of the Rings: The Amazing Myths, Legends and Facts Behind the Masterpiece
  • Myth and Magic: The Art of John Howe
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Chronicles II: Creatures & Characters
  • Tolkien: The Illustrated Encyclopaedia
  • The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook
  • The Complete Tolkien Companion
Brian Sibley is an English author who has written over 100 hours of radio drama and has written and presented hundreds of radio documentaries, features and weekly programmes.

In 1981, he co-wrote BBC Radio 4's adaptation of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings with Michael Bakewell, and has also adapted C. S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia and Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast for Radio 4, for which he rec
More about Brian Sibley...
Harry Potter: Film Wizardry The Lord of the Rings Official Movie Guide The Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Official Movie Guide Through the Shadowlands: The Love Story of C. S. Lewis and Joy Davidman