Start by marking “You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled (Puzzle Lady, #8)” as Want to Read:
You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled (Puzzle Lady, #8)

You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled (Puzzle Lady #8)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  24 reviews
When Benny Southstreet, a small-time hustler with a big-time gift for constructing crosswords, accuses Cora of stealing one of his creations, it’s clearly a case of mistaken identity…until Cora’s own attorney files a plagiarism suit against her. To add to the enigma, when Benny is found dead, the police charge Cora with his murder!

At the heart of the matter is the not-so-l
Published October 31st 2006 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled

Mark Baker
The Puzzle Lady is back and dealing with stolen chairs, charges of plagiarism, and being framed for murder. And to think she was complaining about being bored. I was impressed with how everything was tied together in the end. My only real complaint here was that the witty banter between characters I normally love had too much of an angry tent to it for the first half of the book. Still, there were plenty of laughs. Now, if only Dennis would die soon I'd really be happy.

Read my full review at Car
Chadwick Saxelid
When a small-time hustler named Benny Southstreet accuses Cora Felton of plagiarism, the nationally known Puzzle Lady (who is the "Puzzle Lady" in name only, since it is Cora's niece Sherry that actually does all the work) tells the man what physically impossible act he can go do with himself. Benny is not inclined to do that, of course, nor does he intend to simply go away, and he quickly becomes a nuisance.

Then Benny Southstreet is murdered, and all the incriminating evidence points to Cora as
Sherrie
"You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled" by Parnell Hall
(from back cover)
When Benny Southstreet, a small-time hustler with a big-time gift for constructing crosswords, accuses Cora Felton of stealing one of his creations, it's clearly a case of mistaken identity.....until Cora's own attorney files a plagiarism suit against her. To ad to the enigma, when Benny is found dead, the police charge Cora with his murder! Not only does all the evidence point to Cora, but someone seems to want her dead. The
Diane Heath
This time Cora is accused of stealing a crossword puzzle from Benny Southstreet. Then Benny turns up dead and Cora' s fingerprints are on the gun. How she gets out of this mess while stealing chairs, breaking into barns and getting shot at makes fir a fun read
Kim
too wacky and confusing. Lots & lots of silly stuff.
Megan
This is the latest mystery in Hall's "Puzzle Lady" series, which is more of a "hard-boiled" mystery series. It is as amusing as ever, and comes to a satisfying, surprising conclusion.

The only thing that bothered me about it is that the "Puzzle Lady"'s niece has an abusive ex-husband, against whom she has a restraining order, but she doesn't bar him from the house, and she has a lot of contact with him. In real life, she wouldn't let him anywhere near her, especially since he was physically abusi
PWRL
Feb 14, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
A
Claire
Mar 16, 2014 Claire rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
So silly. This read is just something light and fun. But I must say, you can really tell that this is a male author trying to tell a tale using a female voice. The main character, Cora comes across of a cross between an old, feisty, but funny old bitty and a crusty old, off-color old man. It in interesting conundrum. I think that I am hooked regardless.
I haven't finished, but really don't want to. It sucked me in at first but after the first 30ish pages I'm not interested. I don't really have a desire to finish it. If it was the only book I had, I would finish it, but I since I do have others I'm putting it down and saying enough.
VJ
Rating a four-star just because it made me laugh. A lot. The writing is witty and punny and sometimes laugh out loud hilarious as I am picturing the scenes in my head. This author is really good at descriptions. I've read a few of these books in the past and I'll read more in the future.
Janet Meissner
Book was a gift. It took less than a day to read. The sleuth is a badly behaved older woman who is improbably tolerated by the police and various property owners where she breaks in to snoop. She reveals her findings, ala Hercule Poirot but in a crude way, in a town meeting.
Nancy
Sep 10, 2008 Nancy added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any fan of cozy mysteries and crossword puzzles
This book, as well as the others by Parnell Hall, combine my two favorite subjects: mystery and crossword puzzles. Admittedly it is "light reading," but Hall's characters never fail to elicit smiles and even chuckles all the way through.
Becky
It's Cora's turn to be in trouble--oh, she's been in trouble before!

Be sure to have graph paper or access to a copier as there are a few crossword puzzles to solve (this goes for all of the Puzzle Lady Mystery books!)

Mary
Lisa
This was my first Puzzle Lady novel. It was fun and I will probably try to read more of them. The Puzzle Lady character was very entertaining. The mystery itself was not heavy and that made it a quick read.
Paula Montgomery
Clever twists lead to a successful ending with Cora, The Puzzle Lady, in the clear. Crosswords figure in the plot and the ending wasn't readily apparent. It was a good easy summer read.
Patti
Another one of the Puzzle Lady books. In this one Cora is sued for plagerism by a man who writes poetry. When he ends up dead, Cora is set up as the main suspect.
Suzanne
More convoluted that most of these stories, with a few unbelievable connections thrown in at the end. Always entertaining to see what Cora will think of next.
Kim Nardi
My least favorite of the Puzzle Lady books. I didnt like the last one either. Series is going down hill.
Gave it a shot (gift from mom) and it was mediocre as expected.. some funny moments but just not for me.
Miste
This series of books cracks me up. I think the Puzzle Lady is a hoot. Love the series.
Another great adventure with Cora Felton that had me laughing out loud!
Aimee
Ho-hum. Unsatisfying ending when it's all speculation.
Dale
# Book sale book cute need to read others in order
Jill Cooke
Jill Cooke marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Bonita
Bonita marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Alkmini
Alkmini marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
  • Dare to Die (Death on Demand, #19)
  • The Crossword Murder (Crossword Mysteries, #1)
  • Stiffs and Swine (A Supper Club Mystery, #4)
  • Throw in the Trowel (A Flower Shop Mystery, #15)
  • Gilt By Association (Den of Antiquity, #2)
  • Killer Cuts (Dead-End Job Mystery, #8)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • RIPTIDE (Jake Lassiter, #11)
  • The Wurst Is Yet to Come (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #27)
  • Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • A Whisper to the Living (Porfiry Rostnikov, #16)
  • Death of a Butterfly (Sigrid Harald Mystery #2)
A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady, #1) Last Puzzle and Testament (Puzzle Lady, #2) Puzzled to Death (Puzzle Lady, #3) A Puzzle in a Pear Tree (Puzzle Lady, #4) With This Puzzle, I Thee Kill (Puzzle Lady, #5)