Buck Fever (A Blanco County Mystery #1)

Buck Fever (A Blanco County Mystery #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  498 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Blanco County, Texas: It's the week before deer hunting season, as close to a statewide holiday as you get in Texas, and the locals are getting restless. Game Warden John Marlin has his hands full with poaching complaints coming in faster than he can write out-of-season tickets. Then a call of a different sort comes in. A man dressed up in some sort of deer costume has bee...more
Published September 15th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published September 4th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Buck Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buck Fever

Katy
This is a mystery by an Austin TX author. He sets his stories in Blanco County, which happens to be where Bob and I have a home. I enjoyed the book. He managed to keep his plot moving and his characters bizzare, which makes for a fun read. I liked the local touches, although I can see where you might need to be from the area to really get into it.

The story involves deer hunting, drug smuggling, and good-old-boys vs slick political types. Fun stuff for a quick read.
Lori
This book was so funny in spots, I live in Texas and it reminded me of people I have met.
H R Koelling
A pleasant novel with great characters and a fun plot. Not really an exceptionally comical book, but it had it's stabs at humor: "If you think I'm taking a rifle to a quarter-million dollars' worth of animals, you're nuttier than a squirrel's morning crap."

There are a lot of well developed and memorable characters in this book, some of which were pretty funny. I'm always a sucker for a pair of drunken hicks scheming for a better life who think days filled with Milwaukee's Best and beef jerky ar...more
Mona
If you like absurdity you have to read Ben Rehder. His books poke fun at both extremes of the hunting industry, gun control/NRA, environmental issues, religious extremists, crooked politicians, you name it and he skewers it. His main character is John Marlin, a game warden in Blanco County, Texas. The comic relief is provide by Red and Billy Don, who work only when they have to and spend full-time poaching, drinking and trying to figure out how to impress women and hit it big with one scam after...more
Mary Meyer
A comic mystery in the vein of Hiassen,Evanovich, and Kinky Friedman. I admit it. I am a Texas and I like to read novels set in Texas. Rehder's characters ring somewhat true to people I have known.I enjoy any book that can have a line like "...but what does a stripper know about stealing a deer?"
Greg Rothenberger
Jan 08, 2012 Greg Rothenberger rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Carl Hiassen or Tim Dorsey
Shelves: mystery
I had never heard of this book or the author before, but I found it on Amazon for the Kindle, and the description sounded kind of interesting. It was free, so I decided to take a chance. I'm glad I did.

This is the first in a series of Blanco county, Texas mysteries. It involves deer hunting season, deer ranching, drug smuggling, and just general corruption. In some ways, it reminds me of two of my favorite authors: Carl Hiassen and Tim Dorsey. Like Hiassen and Dorsey, Buck Fever is filled with h...more
LJ
BUCK FEVER – G+ - if it’s your kind of thing
Ben Rehder – 1st book
County game warden John Marlin and Sheriff Herbert Mackey lock horns when two dumb-and-dumber poachers accidentally shoot another idiotic guy wearing a deer costume. The poachers also wound a particularly rambunctious big-antlered buck, which just happens to be Marlin's former pet. Elsewhere in the county, a body is discovered beneath a shoddily repaired bridge, and a slick, drug-dealing Colombian comes looking for a game, ranch-ow...more
D.L. Williams
I enjoyed this book, the authors first (nominated for Edgar award). It was a funny read, good twists and turns, really good characters and “accents” throughout the book. Some of the activity was unbelievable, but at the same time I thought it just might happen that way. There was a lot of hunting, lots of drinking, and quite a bit of illegal activity. Added up, who wouldn’t have fun while hunting, drinking, and committing crimes? A fun Texas romp.
Rachael Mcdonnell
Fun, FUN, FUN read. Loved it-kicks off the series-HaHa it's #1. The others I've read in the series have ups and downs but they are all enjoyable. I have a bit of a crush on the Ranger.
I lived/worked in the area for a chunk of years and it's fun to have places I know about in the story. (a side benefit for me....) But if your in the Hill Country the stories will give you an extra giggle and if not then you will want to come visit.
Susan
This was an unlikely read for me. A book about deer hunting...dead deer are not my cup of tea. But, a friend recommended it and I was pleasantly surprised. The premise was amusing enough and the characters were quirky enough to make me plow through it eagerly in a couple of sittings. Apparently, it's part of a series. Not sure if I'll read others - it stands alone just fine.
Glenda
I did not read this book past the first chapter. Thank goodness, it was a free Kindle book. Beer drinking,profanity, belching, hunting deer out of season..not my cup of tea. If those things interest you this is the book for you. To each his own. Too many books left for me to read to waste time with something so out of my element.
Glenn
Oct 13, 2008 Glenn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Carl Hiaasen, Tim Dorsey and Bill Fitzhugh
Shelves: humorous-novels
First in a series of books by Rehder that center around a game warden in Blanco County, Texas. Includes a cast of wacky characters, including a couple of rednecks that provide a lot of the comedic elements of this mystery.
Beth
A coworker recommended this to me because she thought it was really funny. Well, apparently I have a different sense of humor because I didn't find it that funny. It was a good mystery so give it a try!
Stephanie
If you live with a hunter, you gotta read this book.
Ben Rehder is both a heck of a nice guy and
a VERY FUNNY writer. Ben deserves every bit of success
that comes his way in life.
Susan Moore
I live in San Antonio and have driven through Blanco on 281 several times. It is a very different place than the city and he captures that fact well.
Gretchen Pruett
Listened to the unabridged version - other than the narrator having a little trouble with Texas pronunciation, loved this book.
Sharon
If you are a fan of Carl Hiaasen you will probably enjoy this book, essentially a Texas version of that genre.
Carole
Ol' boy has a flare for the bent funny...a relieef in these times.
Katy
Another Blanco County story full of redneck humor....
Sue
Funny mystery. Sort of like Hiassen in Texas. Good series
Bob
Aug 11, 2011 Bob added it
very good book..a lot of characters to keep track of
Roberta Marro
Oh, yeah. This is the other one I read.
Whitney
the classic redneck mystery. Loved it!
Ensiform
Texas game warden John Marlin is called in about a strange-acting deer. It legally belongs to crooked mogul Roy Swank, but it’s his friend’s old pet deer, so he takes it for the night. When the deer is stolen back and his friend sent to the hospital, Marlin knows Swank is hiding something out in his ranch. With the first day of hunting season and a big hunting party approaching, Marlin tries to find out what Swank is up to, but runs up against two greedy hillbillies and a handful of Colombian as...more
☯Emily
Feb 12, 2013 ☯Emily rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to ☯Emily by: Goodread Cozy Mysteries
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2013
Is Texas considered part of the Bible Belt? After reading this book, you probably will answer no. There was not one person who I would consider a "nice, law-abiding" citizen. Everyone had a vile mouth. The book was filled with violence, although the author did not go into graphic detail. Many people have read this book and thought it was humorous. I must have lost my sense of humor because I found very little to laugh about. I guess most people would think Red and his friend, Billy Don, were hum...more
Meg
Deer season is around the corner in Blanco County Texas... causing the local poachers to jump the gun and try to sack some trophies before everyone else. John Marlin, the local game warden, is finding himself even busier than usual when a local biologist is shot by poachers... while wearing a deer costume. This strange event is the first in a series of even stranger events - a buck that was once a pet is suddenly acting bizarre, even for a wild animal! John's best friend is attacked and in a com...more
If Carl Hiaasen went country in rural Texas, he'd write Buck Fever. It was a funny, nutty adventure into a world of realistically wacky people who are all connected to a wealthy rancher who's in league with some scary drug cartel guys. As the many separate story threads begin to come together, the bad guys get more desperate, the morons get more stupid, and the good guys are in danger. I snickered my way through this entire book, and can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Douglas Cook
First paragraphs, "BY THE TIME Red O’Brien finished his thirteenth beer, he could hardly see through his rifle scope. Worse yet, his partner, Billy Don Craddock, was doing a lousy job with the spotlight. “Dammit, Billy Don, we ain’t hunting raccoons,” Red barked. “Get that light out of the trees and shine it out in the pastures where it will do me some good.” Billy Don mumbled something unintelligible, kicked some empty beer cans around on the floorboard of Red's old Ford truck, and then belched...more
Debbie
The story was fast paced with lots of action, but there were so many characters in this book that it was difficult to keep track of all the names. I found myself wishing I had kept notes as each new name appeared. This is the reason I gave the book 3 stars.
Elizabeth
This is entertaining tale about a Game Warden John Marlin who the week before deer season follows the trail of dancing deer back to a former lobbiest who now runs a game preserve. This preserve caters to the elite of Washington as well wealthy hunters from all over and it specializes in large bucks.

What Marlin finds involves drugs, corruption as well as a romantic interest which leads him into a TSTL moment. I am more accustomed to see these in foolish girls, this was a turn around. There is als...more
Buck Fever—any questions? 2 7 May 20, 2014 02:18PM
Buck Fever—any questions? 1 4 Sep 02, 2011 06:49AM
  • Motion To Kill (Lou Mason, Mystery #1)
  • Key Lime Blues (Wes Darling Mystery, #1)
  • Force of Habit (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation, #1)
  • Mad Money
  • At Risk (Steve Cline, #1)
  • Hot Enough to Kill (The Jolene Jackson Mystery Series, #1)
  • Ties That Bind (Madison Knight, #1)
  • No Game for a Dame (Maggie Sullivan mysteries)
  • Death of a Serpent (Serafina Florio, #1)
  • A Dead Red Cadillac (A Dead Red, #1)
  • Mortal Sin (Jake Lassiter, #4)
  • Legwork
  • Irrefutable
  • Circle of Bones
  • The Devil and Preston Black (Murder Ballads and Whiskey)
  • Child of Silence (Bo Bradley, #1)
  • Murder in Mykonos (Andreas Kaldis, #1)
  • Don Juan in Hankey, PA
Ben Rehder wanted to become a writer ever since he was dropped on his head as a toddler. As he grew into a young adult and the vertigo gradually dissipated, his passion for literature grew. Ben longed to craft the type of soul-stirring prose that would touch people’s lives and help them explore new emotional horizons. But he went to work at an ad agency instead.

Throughout his rewarding and fruitfu...more
More about Ben Rehder...
Bone Dry (A Blanco County Mystery #2) Guilt Trip (A Blanco County Mystery #4) Flat Crazy (A Blanco County Mystery #3) Holy Moly (A Blanco County Mystery #6) Gun Shy (A Blanco County Mystery #5)