Start by marking “The Funeral Director's Son” as Want to Read:
The Funeral Director's Son

The Funeral Director's Son (Funeral Director's Son #1)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  16 reviews

This family business is for life...

In the small town of Clover, when you die, you are put to rest by Campbell and Sons Funeral Home. Unfortunately twelve-year-old Kip Campbell happens to be the only "son" in that title. And that's a problem for him since the funeral home business is the last thing he wants to inherit, even if he has a "gift" for it. See, it just so hap...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Funeral Director's Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Funeral Director's Son

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sarah Bean the Green Bean Teen Queen for TeensReadToo.com

Christopher "Kip" Campbell is the funeral director's son. The Campbell family lives in the small town of Clover and everyone knows Campbell and Sons Funeral Home. Everyone in the family has their job to do and the family business has been passed down from generation to generation, Christopher to Christopher.

Kip doesn't want to be a funeral director. He wants to get away from his small town. No one thinks it's cool to live in a...more
Bethany
Below is my review from the Feb '09 SLJ:
Gr 4–6—Kip, 12, is unhappy with the prospect of one day running the family business, Campbell and Sons Funeral Home, and longs to escape his small New England town and explore the world. However, he has a unique ability that should make him a natural in the profession: he can hear the voices of the newly dead that have not yet passed on to "the good" and help them resolve the issues that are keeping them anchored to this world. Eager to go to summer camp w...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Who is Kip Campbell? He's the funeral director's son. He's the outdoor guy. The problem is Kip doesn't want to follow in his father's footsteps. He doesn't want to be a funeral director.

What I thought: A quick read (134 pages). Kip isn't as complex as Paratore's other character Willa, but he's endearing all the same. Paratore writes from Kip's perspective with ease. That must come from having three sons of her own. I liked the fantasy element in the book. It kept me reading--wanting to know why...more
Eric
It is so nice to find a book that embraces good hearted values and morals. I liked reading this story because it shows how young people can make choices that affect people for both good and bad and they do it triumphantly. Kudos to the author! Try reading the Wedding Planner's Daugher, too.
Laela
Kip doesn't want to grow up to be Funeral Director. He doesn't want to do what every one of his ancestors have done, but he can't ecscape it either.

Great for the reluctant boy reader. It's a little mystery and a little magic.
Brett
This book was kind of hard to categorize. It's more or less realistic fiction, with the minor addition of the main characters' ability to communicate with the dead. Very gentle & thought-provoking.
Sam Bloom
I was pretty consumed by this at first and loved it up until the last quarter of the book, where it got really formulaic in a hurry. Still, a good mystery for upper elementary types.
Newengland
Not much of a plot -- unless you're talking a burial plot. Breezy and quick, but ultimately dead on arrival.
Julia
When I first readthis book I felt really sad about how all the kids have to see dead people.
Danceaw18zendayafan
The funeral directors son, the wedding planners daughter. The exact opposite and same.
Enrico Hawkins
This was a good book. But sometimes its hard to understand whats going.
Carol
good enough that I wanted to read the next book - fun read.
Kelli
I loved this book, but the end was a cliff hanger.
Jo
This was really good. It was almost like a murder mystery.
Teresa Grubbs
Rather cute book. A fast read that I enjoyed.
Rachel
Mar 27, 2008 Rachel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Released July 2008
Jessie Mon
Jessie Mon marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Chela
Chela added it
Sep 02, 2014
Heleene
Heleene marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Taya Babecka
Taya Babecka marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Hadley
Hadley marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
I majored in English at The College of Saint Rose, in Albany, and after two internships in advertising and public relations, decided to enter the communications field, which is a place where writers can write and make a living too. I got married three months after graduation (my husband Tony and I will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary next August ), and we moved to Connecticut. I worked...more
More about Coleen Murtagh Paratore...
The Wedding Planner's Daughter (Wedding Planner's Daughter, #1) The Cupid Chronicles (Wedding Planner's Daughter, #2) Forget Me Not (Wedding Planner's Daughter, #4) Willa by Heart (Wedding Planner's Daughter, #3) From Willa, With Love (Wedding Planner's Daughter #6)