Start by marking “Short Story Writing: A Practical Treatise on the Art of the Short Story” as Want to Read:
Short Story Writing: A Practical Treatise on the Art of the Short Story

Short Story Writing: A Practical Treatise on the Art of the Short Story

2.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published November 30th 2008 by BiblioLife (first published January 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Short Story Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short Story Writing

Val
Mar 31, 2014 Val rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
What I learned from this book:
1) The Ambitious Guest is the only perfect short story. Everyone should be Nathaniel Hawthorne, but only as he wrote The Ambitious Guest.
2) No one should use first person narrators. Herman Melville was obviously mistaken.
3) Beginning writers should never use certain listed tropes, even those that many famous and brilliant writers have used successfully. They really couldn't have been that successful. Barrett says so.

In earnest, though, while I found much of the exam
Sella Malin
Jul 22, 2010 Sella Malin rated it did not like it
So I suscribed to the IWL (I write like) website, and it sent me this book in a PDF file over email. So I'm like "Oooh, free book!" And now I'm reading it and it seems cool. :)

EDIT: Nope. I gave up and abandoned this book 20 pages in. It's really, really boring, and it wasn't teaching me anything or telling me anything I didn't already no. So, fail. :P Not going to finish this book. Poopy on it.
Earl Royce Hugo
Read this no-nonsense treatise on writing if you are serious about this craft. It's straightforward and practical. In this book, you'll also be reminded that hard work pays off. Published in 1900, this book shows that the principles behind good writing are timeless.
Charlie Reina
Jul 11, 2016 Charlie Reina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning writers
For the VERY beginner. Though published in 1900, his points are modern and relevant. He argues for concise prose with unobtrusive authorial viewpoints, seamless incorporation of facts and story details, illustrative and enticing but brief titles, immediately engaging beginnings. These are maxims bordering on cliché but may have been novel in his time. His sporadic cultural references are dated and his examples limited to stories published before 1900, especially Hawthorne’s “The Ambitious Guest” ...more
Sylvi
Jun 20, 2014 Sylvi rated it it was ok
A bit subjective and snobbish for my taste. Although it has a few useful tips, this is by my opinion mostly just a dusty old pile of condescension.
Jose
Dec 10, 2014 Jose rated it did not like it
Shelves: how-to-write
Research. Meh, nothing I didn't know already.
Kevin
Aug 07, 2014 Kevin rated it it was ok
This book is not nearly useful enough for how pretentious it is.
Maegan
Maegan marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
T. Harris
T. Harris marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Alain
Alain added it
Jul 04, 2016
Martin Alexander
Martin Alexander marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Albert Davies
Albert Davies marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Donna Markiewicz
Donna Markiewicz marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Sidra
Sidra marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Graham Hill
Graham Hill marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Durgasunil Kumar
Durgasunil Kumar marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Mar 06, 2016
keith minor
keith minor rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Wout
Wout added it
Feb 12, 2016
M Sz
M Sz added it
Feb 03, 2016
D. Cgil
D. Cgil is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2016
grandMaR
grandMaR marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Elizabeth Rudebeck
Elizabeth Rudebeck marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Beat
Beat added it
Jan 07, 2016
Miriam
Miriam is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2016