Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, Volume 9 (20th Century Boys, #9)

Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, Volume 9 (20th Century Boys #9)

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  699 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This is the story of a gang of boys who try to save the world! As boys, Kenji and his friends came up with a bunch of stories about an evil organization bent on world destruction. As adults, someone is now turning their fantasies into reality!

Reads R to L (Japanese Style). This is the story of a gang of boys who try to save the world! As boys, Kenji and his friends came up...more
Published June 15th 2010 by VIZ Media (first published June 29th 2002)

Anthony Chavez
Things really begin to pickup with the reveal of "The New Book of Prophesy," we aren't sure who wrote it or where it came from but Mon-Chan stumbled upon a few pages of it and we find out some startling things that are prophesied to unfold. I can see many readers becoming frustrated by this point with this "New Book," meaning the story will probably get dragged out even longer and we still don't know who "Friend" is, but I see it as an opportunity to get to know the characters more and more dram...more
Jamil
The previous volume was a momentum killer for me, focusing too much on a side character that I cared nothing about. I'm sick of the persistence of the "Who is the Friend?" revelation tease. So much so that I've had these next four volumes sitting on my shelf for months, unread. This volume at least seems to get back on a forward moving path. No more Nikki & Paolo moves, Urasawa. Wrap this sh-t up!
Joy
Mikael Kuoppala
"Rabbit Nobokov" starts off by continuing the story of Kyoko, whose brainwashing we got to witness in "Kenji's Song". Now free, Kyoko doesn't remember the process fully, but the revelation of who the mystical "Friend" who secretly controls the totalitarian future Japan she lives in is just about to surface. The Friend cult is after her, intent upon completing her programming, so she turns to our current lead protagonist Kanna for help.

The main bulk of this volume centers around Kanna and her pla...more
Danielle
ARGH CLIFFHANGER! This is the first time since starting this series that I've run up against the 'no available next volume' anguish. Next vol's on order at the library, hasn't arrived yet. Woe! I love Otcho, gotta say. The Kienji-flashbacks just make me really anxious to find out what happened to him all those years ago. And Kanna manages to pull off some more crazy stunts, (think Pippi Longstocking meets Firestarter?). The culmination of the 'Bonus Level' storyline in Friend Land is appropriate...more
Dave
A big showdown, a bizarre card game called Rabbit Nabokov (rules here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/37127...) and a new book of prophecy, which sounds like a way for Urasaw to drag the story out even longer.

The last few chapters develop a little slowly, but the story is still intriguing, as characters from the pre-Friends past return. Urasawa is a bit too fond of keeping certain things that the characters see from the reader, but the art and the sheer fun of the proceedings definitely make t...more
Nia
Kata-kata bijak from Kenji :
"Kalau kita berjuang dengan sungguh-sungguh, pasti bisa meruntuhkan sesuatu."

Hal ini dilakukan oleh Kanna yang mewarisi bakat ayah kandungnya, yaitu dapat mempengaruhi orang banyak untuk mendukung gerakannya....
Bermula dari casino tempat Kanna main rabbit nabokov dna Kanna mendapatkan kemenangan yang sangat besar. Hasil kemenangannya ia bagikan ke semua orang diantaranya mafia dan kaum gelandangan. Dengan maksud untuk mendapatkan dukungan melawan 'Sahabat'...
Fredrik Strömberg
Urusawa keeps delivering and upping the ante in this long-running suspense laden story. At volume three I wondered how he would manage to keep going and keep the suspense up, but he very obviously has a plan, and I'm happy to be part of this trip.

The new focus on Kana is a welcome change, as a female main character feels more interesting in this otherwise male centered story and genre for that matter.
Mao
Mao added it
Jul 23, 2014
Haybe
Haybe marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jorge
Jorge marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
  • Planetes. Vol. 3  (Planetes, #3)
  • Black Jack, Vol. 2
  • Mushishi, Volume 4
  • Vagabond, Volume 2
  • Blame!, Vol. 4
  • Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 02
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 5
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 2 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #2)
Urasawa Naoki ( 浦沢 直樹) is a Japanese mangaka. He is perhaps best known for Monster (which drew praise from Junot Díaz, the 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner) and 20th Century Boys.

Urasawa's work often concentrates on intricate plotting, interweaving narratives, a deep focus on character development and psychological complexity. Urasawa has won the Shogakukan Manga Award, the Japan Media Arts Festival ex...more
More about Naoki Urasawa...
Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1: Herr Dr. Tenma (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #1) PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001 (Pluto, #1) 20th Century Boys, Band 1 (20th Century Boys, #1) PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 002 (Pluto, #2) PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 003 (Pluto, #3)